Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

New Registrations disabled until further notice.

51 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom
Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> The New Kia Optima GT 2017 thread, Strictly for discussion about the car

sitescope
post Jul 8 2017, 06:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(kapalterbang_737 @ Jul 8 2017, 02:54 PM)
as someone who owned a Korean car for the past 2 years, i think the Optima GT is quite overprice wor for the spec.. personally as a D segment and hi-end car in Kia sedan line, it should at least have active safety package included, Blind Spot Assist, Lane Keep Assist, Autonomous Emergency Braking, to name a few. I don't really mind the remove the Infinity speaker as we can retrofit other speakers easily... Naza really should think back about this...
when optima launched in 2011 price is 144k, during that time full spec
then market slow, kia reduce to 138K, many people bought
then 2014 got facelift 150k but design not cun aldy compare 1st

so this gt will get disc too if market slow but dunno how much
maybe 159k or 169k

sitescope
post Jul 8 2017, 06:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(overfloe @ Jul 8 2017, 03:22 PM)
Youngsters will end up with c segment cars lorr haha.. this GT is very niche.
but c seg dun have 2.0 turbo, if got at 129k no need buy gt aldy
sitescope
post Jul 8 2017, 06:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Ginny88 @ Jul 8 2017, 04:49 PM)
The Optima will have no market segment? Not even as a poor man's Passat?
dun understand

QUOTE(zeng @ Jul 8 2017, 05:04 PM)
Are all Kia K5 models here having the same transmission models , and dependable ?
all mean from 2011 till now ?
kluseng
post Jul 8 2017, 07:39 PM

Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(zeng @ Jul 8 2017, 05:04 PM)
Are all Kia K5 models here having the same transmission models , and dependable ?
Optima K5 and Optima GT have 6 speed conventional auto transmission. They are more dependable than DSG or DCT.

QUOTE(Ginny88 @ Jul 8 2017, 04:49 PM)
The Optima will have no market segment? Not even as a poor man's Passat?
The price of the Optima GT is too close to a Passat to be a poor man's Passat. With aggressive discounting by VGM the Passat 2.0 TSI may even be sold at the same price as the Optima GT. And besides those hunkering after European cars won't be attracted to a Korean car.

zeng
post Jul 8 2017, 08:15 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(sitescope @ Jul 8 2017, 06:45 PM)
all mean from 2011 till now ?
Yep, all 3 since 2011 model till GT .......
TS said these conventional auto transmission are more dependable than DSG/DCT , are they all similar models or current GT one has higher rating ?

This post has been edited by zeng: Jul 8 2017, 08:17 PM
subaru555
post Jul 8 2017, 09:24 PM

Getting Started

If below rm140k, perhaps there will be more buyers.
mdfahmi
post Jul 8 2017, 09:30 PM

Group: Newbie

why no test drive available for now? hardly hear any review other than bobby
sitescope
post Jul 8 2017, 09:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(kluseng @ Jul 8 2017, 07:39 PM)
The price of the Optima GT is too close to a Passat to be a poor man's Passat. With aggressive discounting by VGM the Passat 2.0 TSI may even be sold at the same price as the Optima GT. And besides those hunkering after European cars won't be attracted to a Korean car.
same price but higher maintenance
cheapskate like me will not buy passat

QUOTE(subaru555 @ Jul 8 2017, 09:24 PM)
T & H ceo will come to KIA ceo ofis in PJ and spray red paint

QUOTE(mdfahmi @ Jul 8 2017, 09:30 PM)
why no test drive available for now? hardly hear any review other than bobby
dunno worrr... something fishy...

This post has been edited by sitescope: Jul 8 2017, 09:41 PM
sitescope
post Jul 8 2017, 09:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(constant_weight @ Jul 8 2017, 08:27 AM)
Review from US, this one is professionally done. The best review I've seen in years.

QUOTE(Ginny88 @ Jul 8 2017, 12:24 PM)
Another good review, this time from Down Under. It looks like Kia is also fighting consumer perception down there even though the Optima GT comes with even more goodies like adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, autonomous braking and Infinity sound system that Naza has stripped out.

rekomen kluseng to paste in 1st pg...
easy new buyer to refer
sitescope
post Jul 8 2017, 09:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!

good news that jayjayjay thread has moved to page 2
let it idle there, dun reply
Ginny88
post Jul 8 2017, 09:54 PM

Getting Started

Kia Optima GT vs. Mercedes C200.
Who Wins? The answer will surprise you!!

KennyKB
post Jul 8 2017, 10:09 PM

Regular

For RM175K OTR w/o insurance it should be loaded to the gills but Naza has stripped out:

Autonomous braking
Adaptive cruise control
Lane departure warning
Lane keeping assist
Blind spot detection
Rear cross traffic alert
Infinity or Harmon Kardon 10 speaker system

But they have retained the useless front and rear seat heaters. Wonder why??

This post has been edited by KennyKB: Jul 8 2017, 10:10 PM
sitescope
post Jul 9 2017, 12:40 AM

Look at all my stars!!

Kia Optima GT vs Passat
(they said drive passat is uncle look alike... lolzzz)

This post has been edited by sitescope: Jul 9 2017, 12:41 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
wkc5657
post Jul 9 2017, 01:43 AM

QUOTE(kluseng @ Jul 8 2017, 07:39 PM)
QUOTE(subaru555 @ Jul 8 2017, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE(KennyKB @ Jul 8 2017, 10:09 PM)
For RM175K OTR w/o insurance it should be loaded to the gills but Naza has stripped out:

Autonomous braking
Adaptive cruise control
Lane departure warning
Lane keeping assist
Blind spot detection
Rear cross traffic alert
Infinity or Harmon Kardon 10 speaker system

But they have retained the useless front and rear seat heaters. Wonder why??
Before i comment, i have to state that i have no physical contact on either of the cars.

Before we start making noises about the price, we have to frame the perspective from a rather disadvantaged situation that the GT started in our market, it's a CBU, not CKD. That commends at least a sad +10k to the price from the additional duties. Also, this is a turbocharged car, although i'm no automotive part buyer, we can give it a round figure of +5k to the associated parts like the intercooler, additional pipings, wastegate, etc. If start to see from this perspective though, you'll realise the direct competitors, namely the camry and the accord has an overpriced feeling. Kia can bring in the lower priced non turbocharged version, but the brand perception will be so outclassed by the usual japanese and render it a waste of resources to market it. So the overall positioning become a unique performance orientation and turns the direct competitor of the GT mainly towards the new passat. It is just a slight shame that the peak performance got hampered by their in house 6 speed transmission, if not can easily shave of another 0.5s to 100km/h.

The VW's recent year pricing are actually more reflective of their actual value currently, meaning the earlier years, they are grossly overpriced to capitalise the "continental branding"
snobbery. From the global perspective, they are just similar to the mainline brands. (But they are slowly transitioning towards sub premium standing and let Skoda and Seat taking over their VW brand position. So future models beyond 2020 is likely to be a little more expensive.) CKD and EEV status on most of the newer releases makes things better. It is a good thing for the general market, as it further reflects the overpricing of Japanese D segment. They have the largest scale CKD operations (mazda aside) and most of their models have EEV status. Surely we have to ask, their economies of scale should reflect towards even more attractive pricing to us right?

Anyway, my gut feeling is that VW won't really touch the 2L TSI pricing, they need that particular model as a crowed puller and to maintain that higher market pricing positioning (it still needs a little of conti snobbery as it's unique selling point). The reality is, most of the buyers here who can afford the 2L highline won't really consider it, as the access to the premium segment isn't too much of a financial stretch. Those with that financial standing would prefer "yeng-ness" of the image that premium brands offer. So 2L bring attention and visibility to the market for the passat, in order to make more sales for the 1.8, which is comparable to the Japanese D segment counterparts. They'll only play with the 1.8L's pricing, as they still do now. But with 1.8L version coming in with the dry clutch DCT, albeit they made some revisions to it, it is a major holdback to general buyers that can't really afford the 2L highline, but attracted to the passat. Those that can put aside the DCT and RV concerns, it offers tremendous value over japanese counterparts. Also, contrary to how most trim line are priced, my opinion thinks that it actually may have lower margin against the lesser 1.8L versions. The fact that the 2L don't have EEV further limits the pricing flexibility.

As to KennyKB's disappointment for missing out quite a number of advanced features, i believe that in order for the GT's pricing to be "digestable" to our markets and also some reasonable margin for themselves, some things just got to go. I'm no safety expert, but on our roads autonomous braking and adaptive cruise control can be considered a nuisance. As motorists ourselves, we are well aware how aggressive, inconsiderate and sometimes outright dangerous how some drivers can be on daily basis. These 2 features are really "nice haves" on our traffic, and when activated, either we may face with too much sudden braking intervention by the system or we get over/under taken too much as the adaptive cruise control actually prefers some distance from the car ahead (we are more "seasoned" than the system to better react in majority of such situations, as the system is developed mainly for the developed markets with more "developed" driving attitudes). Lane departure and lane keeping can be inconsistent as our roads markings and lane width are inconsistent in certain areas. For those who like quick lane change, lane keeping assist will pull the car back into the original lane if turn signal isn't activated. We all know what happens when we activate our turn signals on....

I take my own experience as an example, my car has autonomous braking, but it never once assisted me when someone suddenly cut into my lane or some crazy fellor who don't pay attention to look out for traffic when coming out of a junction. It was my on reaction to avoid it. But when i just want to get nearer to the touch n go sensor or the main entrance of the housing estate, the autonomous braking activated a handful of occasion to avoid me hitting the gantry pole. I reflected on these occasions where the autonomous braking activated, i did approach the gantry a little faster than usual, but still very much within my comfortable braking effort. In short, when i really needed it, it didn't activate; but when i least expected it, it activated. Maybe because it is a Mazda3, maybe those with higher up brands can share their experience on this. I totally don't use adaptive cruise control, so no 1st hand experiences on it.

However, the blind spot detection and rear cross traffic alert is really useful. How come can't at least put this 2 into the feature list? I believe that the system integration comes in a set (similar to the mazda where such features are not available in lower trim). So when Kia marketers decided that autonomous braking and adaptive cruise control isn't really practical in our market, the remaining 4 just won't be able to be "customised" into our market. That's the reality of car making as more and more electrical modules come it set by their tier 1 suppliers. For cost reasons, most of the resources are spent on the core identity of the car, namely the engines, the chassis and the interior/exterior design.

As to the weirdness of the inclusion of seat heaters, using the same modular concept mentioned earlier, it is due to the ventilated seats feature. Now that is something really appreciable in our climate conditions and i believe none of the cars in the segment, even in more lower ranges of the premium segment have this.
sitescope
post Jul 9 2017, 09:43 AM

Look at all my stars!!

This gt is slower a bit than elanTurbo
Izit bcoz of weight ?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
kluseng
post Jul 9 2017, 09:53 AM

Realistically speaking the Optima GT is not priced exorbitantly for a D-segment car of that power. We should be comparing with these cars:

Mazda 6 2.5L - RM195K (185HP)
Mazda 6 2.2L Diesel - RM203K (173HP)
Passat 1.8 TSI Comfortline - RM181K (178 HP)
Passat 2.0 TSI Highline - RM200K (217HP)
Ford Mondeo 2.0L Ecoboost - RM204K (237HP)
Peugeot 508 GT Diesel - RM202K (204 HP)
Peugeot 508 THP - RM175K (163HP)
Optima 2.0T GT - RM175K (242HP)

The Volvo V40 T5 isn't even D-segment so it cannot be compared.

So based on the above the Optima GT comes out with the highest engine power and the cheapest price. It's only fault is that it is a Korean car so buyers' perception is that it has no right to charge so much. But it is more reliable than a Conti car, is cheaper to maintain and has higher resale value.

overfloe
post Jul 9 2017, 10:05 AM

Ain't nothing but a thang..

QUOTE(kluseng @ Jul 9 2017, 10:53 AM)
Realistically speaking the Optima GT is not priced exorbitantly for a D-segment car of that power. We should be comparing with these cars:

Mazda 6 2.5L - RM195K (185HP)
Mazda 6 2.2L Diesel - RM203K (173HP)
Passat 1.8 TSI Comfortline - RM181K (178 HP)
Passat 2.0 TSI Highline - RM200K (217HP)
Ford Mondeo 2.0L Ecoboost - RM204K (237HP)
Peugeot 508 GT Diesel - RM202K (204 HP)
Peugeot 508 THP - RM175K (163HP)
Optima 2.0T GT - RM175K (242HP)

The Volvo V40 T5 isn't even D-segment so it cannot be compared.

So based on the above the Optima GT comes out with the highest engine power and the cheapest price. It's only fault is that it is a Korean car so buyers' perception is that it has no right to charge so much. But it is more reliable than a Conti car, is cheaper to maintain and has higher resale value.
Spot on bro.
And how many of these vehicles are currently on the road compared to the vanilla accord, camry & teana? Very little too. It's all about perception and the GT is not given credit where its due. Its interior quality is above the previous optima and feels more upmarket than other kia models. Those who havent seen one in flesh please do so before judging. I cannot speak on its reliability but i believe it is every bit as reliable as any other jap makes.

Anyway I have a hunch that naza kia malaysia is just testing water with this optima GT. They know it wont be a best seller. At the moment the market is towards suv & people mover. What they need is Carens replacement (mid sized mpv).
constant_weight
post Jul 9 2017, 11:25 AM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(sitescope @ Jul 9 2017, 09:43 AM)
This gt is slower a bit than elanTurbo
Izit bcoz of weight ?
Not only power to weight ratio, it has to do with the gear ratio and DCT shift faster. ESport has more shorter gear 1,2,3 like I said in the ESport thread. ESport is faster than OGT up to about 120kph only. OGT only go into gear 3 past 90kph and gear 3 all the way to 150!

So OGT would much faster from 100-200+.

Under full load with 5 adults, I believe OGT will be faster 0-100 with its significantly higher torque. But that have to wait you buy OGT first we come up test together with my ESport. Sign, still waiting for my car.

Put videos below side by side, you will see what I described. Elantra Sport to 200 is slower, not one can break the law of physics, Hahaha.

Elantra Sport
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmQFH0rz6g

Optima GT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs0jrrie9ZE

I won't too caught up with the power of point something second different, enjoy the car is most important. Seating position not suitable, cheapest+fastest+best quality also no use, back pain after long journey, not that young anymore.

This post has been edited by constant_weight: Jul 9 2017, 11:29 AM
KennyKB
post Jul 9 2017, 06:24 PM

Regular

At the price level that Optima GT is asking owners want some prestige to go with the car. Unfortunately the Optima doesn't have much by way of prestige or status compared to a Jap D-segment or a Conti car. That is is main drawback to potential buyers, not its price.

sitescope
post Jul 9 2017, 09:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(KennyKB @ Jul 9 2017, 06:24 PM)
At the price level that Optima GT is asking owners want some prestige to go with the car. Unfortunately the Optima doesn't have much by way of prestige or status compared to a Jap D-segment or a Conti car. That is is main drawback to potential buyers, not its price.
Korek... They didn't listen to cust
Wait n see

51 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0915sec    6.08    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th December 2018 - 01:54 PM