Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Need Career Advice, Chemical Engineer

views

SUSadvocado
post Jun 28 2017, 11:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(Simply_Ed @ Jun 28 2017, 11:10 PM)
Mostly with Exxon since they've been having alot of vacancies lately.

My current company isn't very safe either. They're melting plastics to form sheets without proper ventilation. I'm not too sure about long term effects of inhaling Volatile Organic Carbon materials.

Yea, that's why a consulting job would be ideal but alas the reality of things is quite different.

I'll focus more on job hunting and cast my search range wider to see if I can reel in anything.

Was just hoping to get in some advice from veterans in the industry.
are you working in the factory or office? is the office same area as factory? plastic is toxic, if fuses with your lungs when it cools down from vapor, but not as bad as molten & welding, where metal vapor gets into your lungs and is permanent there, and your tissue will start covering those metals, only way to remove the metal is scrape them off your lungs, or apply ultra high heat to turn metal back into vapor, which i don't think is viable. that is why most welders have lung problems, even though welders considered higher pay grade than other workers. even wear gas mask, the fitting might not be 100% so there might still have leaks. like the Spetsnaz Moscow Theater rescue, the Spetznaz were wearing military grade gas mask, but many still fainted because the mask either leak or not fit properly.

Consulting Job is more on paper & pen, but sometimes still need to go to site, same as Oil companies. but still, you deal with much less toxic stuffs, and they have tougher standards, but you aren't operating on a rig, so you don't really deal with the chemicals unless you are a site engineer.

anyway if you feel uncomfortable, something must be wrong, don't ignore the signal, because if you ignore, you start to get used to the bad effect, and you fall sick without realizing the problem. for me, if i spray paint, even with full mask on, i can still feel the effect afterwards. then pimple starts to pop up, these are supposingly non-toxic paints, so imagine if you deal with hazardous stuffs.
TSSimply_Ed
post Jun 28 2017, 11:32 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jun 28 2017, 04:23 PM)
are you working in the factory or office? is the office same area as factory? plastic is toxic, if fuses with your lungs when it cools down from vapor, but not as bad as molten & welding, where metal vapor gets into your lungs and is permanent there, and your tissue will start covering those metals, only way to remove the metal is scrape them off your lungs, or apply ultra high heat to turn metal back into vapor, which i don't think is viable. that is why most welders have lung problems, even though welders considered higher pay grade than other workers. even wear gas mask, the fitting might not be 100% so there might still have leaks. like the Spetsnaz Moscow Theater rescue, the Spetznaz were wearing military grade gas mask, but many still fainted because the mask either leak or not fit properly.

Consulting Job is more on paper & pen, but sometimes still need to go to site, same as Oil companies. but still, you deal with much less toxic stuffs, and they have tougher standards, but you aren't operating on a rig, so you don't really deal with the chemicals unless you are a site engineer.

anyway if you feel uncomfortable, something must be wrong, don't ignore the signal, because if you ignore, you start to get used to the bad effect, and you fall sick without realizing the problem. for me, if i spray paint, even with full mask on, i can still feel the effect afterwards. then pimple starts to pop up, these are supposingly non-toxic paints, so imagine if you deal with hazardous stuffs.
I'm getting some management experience from my job which is good and no it doesn't have a library for technical journals. I'm most left on my own to study the process, come up with improvements and enforce work flow systems with the workers. There aren't any seniors in my department to shadow or ask questions which is why sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time. The role does provide me a platform to test engineering ideas but very far from proper engineering/ designs not verified by certified engineer.

The office is in the factory and I spend most of my days in the manufacturing line and inhaling the fumes is something of the norm for the staff and line operators there. I haven't gotten sick or felt unwell from working there.. yet.

meteoraniac
post Jun 28 2017, 11:36 PM

Regular
1,099 posts

QUOTE(Simply_Ed @ Jun 28 2017, 10:43 PM)
Posting in Kopitiam to get more replies/views. Thanks

Story below:

Graduated mid last year and found a job in manufacturing.

However the job is too focused on supervising and less technical.

I graduated with a first class at The University of Sheffield and I am wanting to gain some technical experience in industry.

My main interests are in simulation, particularly CFD and Aspen. It seems very difficult to find chemical engineering related work.

I've been employed for more than 6 months and I'm about to become a confirmed staff. If I quit now, it's 2 weeks notice, if I quit on the 1st of Aug, I'll need to give 2 months notice.

I feel like long term I'd lose out to others in term of experience because I don't feel like I'm progressing very much in this position.

I need some advice. Feeling frustrated that I worked so hard and under utilised.
CFD = fire and explosion modelling

Hysis = dynamic simulation

these two are mostly in O&G market, and as an engineer u are unlikely to cover both in one position as risk engineer is separate discipline from process engineer.. one is dealing with risk contours and another deals with design / operations
SUSadvocado
post Jun 28 2017, 11:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(Simply_Ed @ Jun 28 2017, 11:32 PM)
I'm getting some management experience from my job which is good and no it doesn't have a library for technical journals. I'm most left on my own to study the process, come up with improvements and enforce work flow systems with the workers. There aren't any seniors in my department to shadow or ask questions which is why sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time. The role does provide me a platform to test engineering ideas but very far from proper engineering/ designs not verified by certified engineer.

The office is in the factory and I spend most of my days in the manufacturing line and inhaling the fumes is something of the norm for the staff and line operators there. I haven't gotten sick or felt unwell from working there.. yet.
you can always whistle blow to Singapore Health Ministry if you suspect the air is contaminated, you are in SG, so worry less about whistle blower taking the blame.

since there is no seniors in your department, i would assume you are one of the higher ranked people, i think it's a good opportunity for you to use the company as test mule, and a jumping platform, if the fumes aren't toxic, no harm sticking around a year or 2, you might get promotion internally, or get head hunted. but if engineering process is not your thing, then find something you like and change job, nowadays it's best to secure a job before leaving your current job. the notice period is small issue, i'm sure if new company wants you, they can wait, or offer to pay for your early release.
TSSimply_Ed
post Jun 28 2017, 11:37 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(keni988 @ Jun 28 2017, 04:22 PM)
I am graduated from SHU in year 2007.  Also working in manufacturing line, don't expect much on local company for R&D capability.

What kind of product manufacturing you are supervising now?
Plastic Extrusion process. Yea they basically have an R & D Engineer without a lab who's main job is reading journals and coming up with new product ideas.
Vervain
post Jun 28 2017, 11:42 PM

Scathach
5,458 posts

My best advise to elevate your chance of getting hired? work for at least 2 years. You're barely 1 year and you've already made a quick evaluation. give it a fully year before you decide whether its a good company to work or move along. Success in work does not mean you have to do R&D and technical work. Success in work is when you do something with a big impact, You become an important person or you earn big.
SUSadvocado
post Jun 28 2017, 11:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(meteoraniac @ Jun 28 2017, 11:36 PM)
CFD = fire and explosion modelling

Hysis = dynamic simulation

these two are mostly in O&G market, and as an engineer u are unlikely to cover both in one position as risk engineer is separate discipline from process engineer.. one is dealing with risk contours and another deals with design / operations
a quick read on google shows CFD has more to do with process simulation to ensure proper design so the content can flow properly. it's like the backbone design of an oilrig/plant. the plant design will be based on the simulation outcome. of course can be used on fire & explosion, but i think it focus more on the base design & simulation. more of a design & process engineer than a risk engineer.
SUSadvocado
post Jun 28 2017, 11:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(Vervain @ Jun 28 2017, 11:42 PM)
My best advise to elevate your chance of getting hired? work for at least 2 years. You're barely 1 year and you've already made a quick evaluation. give it a fully year before you decide whether its a good company to work or move along. Success in work does not mean you have to do R&D and technical work. Success in work is when you do something with a big impact, You become an important person or you earn big.
big impact, but no interest, also won't be considered happy. successful maybe. but TS will be quite sad person.
meteoraniac
post Jun 28 2017, 11:48 PM

Regular
1,099 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jun 28 2017, 11:43 PM)
a quick read on google shows CFD has more to do with process simulation to ensure proper design so the content can flow properly. it's like the backbone design of an oilrig/plant. the plant design will be based on the simulation outcome. of course can be used on fire & explosion, but i think it focus more on the base design & simulation. more of a design & process engineer than a risk engineer.
Google. There's your problem

For design and process engineering there are other tools that can do what cfd does, but much cheaper. That's why cfd are mostly used for more high risk jobs.
Vervain
post Jun 28 2017, 11:48 PM

Scathach
5,458 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jun 28 2017, 11:45 PM)
big impact, but no interest, also won't be considered happy. successful maybe. but TS will be quite sad person.
Happy is subjective. Many years ago, I was very unhappy on working.. today, its different. People change and evolve through time. some can say its maturity, other say we grew accustom to it. Whatever cause, its for the better of man. I am vouching TS to stick around at least to enrich his experience. Hopping now would paint a bad image to the new employer that you're candidate for a job hopper.
keni988
post Jun 28 2017, 11:50 PM

Casual
387 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jun 28 2017, 11:43 PM)
Hi Bro, I had been working on numerous oil rigs. Worked for few Exxon fabrication projects. The O&G is dead.

TSSimply_Ed
post Jun 28 2017, 11:52 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jun 28 2017, 04:37 PM)
you can always whistle blow to Singapore Health Ministry if you suspect the air is contaminated, you are in SG, so worry less about whistle blower taking the blame.

since there is no seniors in your department, i would assume you are one of the higher ranked people, i think it's a good opportunity for you to use the company as test mule, and a jumping platform, if the fumes aren't toxic, no harm sticking around a year or 2, you might get promotion internally, or get head hunted. but if engineering process is not your thing, then find something you like and change job, nowadays it's best to secure a job before leaving your current job. the notice period is small issue, i'm sure if new company wants you, they can wait, or offer to pay for your early release.
Hah, sorry to give you the impression I was in Sg but I'm actually in Malaysia where the working environment is monitored by DOSH. They did send someone to come for inspection but only highlighted that there might be VOC in the air. They checked for NOX, SOX and CO but didn't find the concentration to be excessive.

And I'm the Head of Department which I find to be an empty title not based on previous experience (because I have none). But you're right about it being a good opportunity as a test mule. I have some freedom to carry out improvement projects as long as it has quantifiable benefits to the company.

And the last bit is the part I'm most anxious about. I do understand the economy isn't faring so well that's why I wanted to get some advice. At the moment I have no particular experience which would make sense for another company to headhunt me. My current company isn't spending on employee training programmes i.e. six sigma, lean manufacturing etc.

SUSadvocado
post Jun 28 2017, 11:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(meteoraniac @ Jun 28 2017, 11:48 PM)

For design and process engineering there are other tools that can do what cfd does, but much cheaper. That's why cfd are mostly used for more high risk jobs.
look mang, it's just a software, if TS knows CFD it should not be hard to learn to use other cheaper softwares as you mentioned. the process flow is more or less the same, just the platform slightly different.

i don't think a person interest is based on the program, but what you do with the program, program just a tool, so TS real interest is not the tool, but the simulation.

TS can correct me if i'm wrong.
TSSimply_Ed
post Jun 28 2017, 11:58 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(Vervain @ Jun 28 2017, 04:48 PM)
Happy is subjective. Many years ago, I was very unhappy on working.. today, its different. People change and evolve through time. some can say its maturity, other say we grew accustom to it. Whatever cause, its for the better of man. I am vouching TS to stick around at least to enrich his experience. Hopping now would paint a bad image to the new employer that you're candidate for a job hopper.
Yea, I agree that happiness is subjective and it's hard to predict what'll make me happy in the future. My main concern at the moment is that this job will pigeonhole me into a non-technical area and make it difficult for me to cross towards a more technical related job down the line i.e. having to start from scratch.

I do see the advantages on sticking longer in this position, hence the dilemma I'm facing.
SUSadvocado
post Jun 28 2017, 11:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(Simply_Ed @ Jun 28 2017, 11:52 PM)
Hah, sorry to give you the impression I was in Sg but I'm actually in Malaysia where the working environment is monitored by DOSH. They did send someone to come for inspection but only highlighted that there might be VOC in the air. They checked for NOX, SOX and CO but didn't find the concentration to be excessive.

And I'm the Head of Department which I find to be an empty title not based on previous experience (because I have none). But you're right about it being a good opportunity as a test mule. I have some freedom to carry out improvement projects as long as it has quantifiable benefits to the company.

And the last bit is the part I'm most anxious about. I do understand the economy isn't faring so well that's why I wanted to get some advice. At the moment I have no particular experience which would make sense for another company to headhunt me. My current company isn't spending on employee training programmes i.e. six sigma, lean manufacturing etc.
learn urself, this ain't the 80's. internet, ebooks & books for dummies are easily available, just whether you got time to read or not. by attending seminars & programs you get a cert, if you think the cert makes a difference, try convince your boss to pay for you, or pay for yourself. but nobody stopping from learning yourself, you can even go to forums and ask about anything you don't understand.

this ain't the 80's and you aren't in Zimbabwe where internet is a luxury.

if you got free time at work, read them up, it's part of your job scope anyway.
joe_mamak
post Jun 29 2017, 12:14 AM

Casual
363 posts

QUOTE(Simply_Ed @ Jun 28 2017, 11:03 PM)
I did try with a couple of Singapore companies but no response from them. I'm not too particular about being in the O&G industry but other fields don't necessarily have technical related work.
I'm going to look for jobs overseas as well. Now I'm just in a dilemma if I should quit. I'm anxious about wasting my time and potential but being unemployed feels just as bad.
From what I gather, only downside of continuing to work in the present job is that you get confirmed and you end up having to serve a lengthy two month notice.

I think that is not a big downside.

If a good opportunity comes along, the new employer might wait. Or buy out. If you are really desperate to go, you can buy yourself out too. biggrin.gif

Sure, it is a bit painful on the wallet. But you should consider the bigger picture; i.e. you continue working and you earn your salary vs not working and not having any salary. You "break even" after 2 months of work.

TSSimply_Ed
post Jun 29 2017, 12:29 AM

33 posts

QUOTE(meteoraniac @ Jun 28 2017, 04:48 PM)

QUOTE(advocado @ Jun 28 2017, 04:57 PM)
look mang, it's just a software, if TS knows CFD it should not be hard to learn to use other cheaper softwares as you mentioned. the process flow is more or less the same, just the platform slightly different.

i don't think a person interest is based on the program, but what you do with the program, program just a tool, so TS real interest is not the tool, but the simulation.

TS can correct me if i'm wrong.
Thanks for the advice guys but I mentioned Aspen and CFD cause those were the two heavily used simulation tools in my prior experience. But I do have a general interest for CAE/CAD and hope to have the chance to incorporate them in my work.

I have used CFD for fluid flows in heat exchangers and Hysis for mass transfer/heat transfer processes as well but I know that CFD is commonly used in Fires and Explosions because of the risks involved in the work place.

QUOTE(joe_mamak @ Jun 28 2017, 05:14 PM)
From what I gather, only downside of continuing to work in the present job is that you get confirmed and you end up having to serve a lengthy two month notice. 

I think that is not a big downside. 

If a good opportunity comes along, the new employer might wait.  Or buy out.  If  you are really desperate to go, you can buy yourself out too.  biggrin.gif 

Sure, it is a bit painful on the wallet.  But you should consider the bigger picture;  i.e. you continue working and you earn your salary vs not working and not having any salary.  You "break even" after 2 months of work.
I actually forgot I have that option of buying myself out to reduce the notice period. doh.gif

The breaking even part is another interesting way to look at it. Cause there's too many ifs scenarios. Another thing for me to consider, and I guess it's also best to minimise the risk of prolonged unemployment.

PaulReedSmooth
post Jun 29 2017, 12:43 AM

Getting Started
160 posts

"Process engineer" deals with aspen hysis process simulation, p&id development, etc.

You can try this
https://www.jobstreet.com.my/en/job/process...r-3318561?fr=21
Vervain
post Jun 29 2017, 12:51 AM

Scathach
5,458 posts

QUOTE(Simply_Ed @ Jun 28 2017, 11:58 PM)
Yea, I agree that happiness is subjective and it's hard to predict what'll make me happy in the future. My main concern at the moment is that this job will pigeonhole me into a non-technical area and make it difficult for me to cross towards a more technical related job down the line i.e. having to start from scratch.

I do see the advantages on sticking longer in this position, hence the dilemma I'm facing.
Nonsense. Unless you're in the same industry with the same expertise then You can carry forward the skill and knowledge. If I have to employ you, I would have to assume you as a fresh dude. You will need to learn what is being practice and performed in my company rather than coming in to change the whole process. I graduated as an engineer. Start my career doing non technical stuffs like contracts and tenders. Next phase of my career started a technical job which was totally unrelated to what I had learned. Mastered the knowledge then I moved to another new field with another new role as sales. From there I've found my goal and decided to stick with sales. After that it was history. I moved back to past industry working as a corporate sales selling another ground breaking technology which is unrelated to what I've experienced and learned.
SUSempatTan
post Jun 29 2017, 01:17 AM

Regular
1,678 posts

Just go into banking...

2 Pages < 1 2
Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0181sec    0.27    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:43 PM