Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Best bike for long range commute

views

TSakira87
post Jun 20 2017, 05:45 PM

Weeeee~
702 posts

QUOTE(warpig @ Jun 20 2017, 04:28 PM)
got license or not. else just get a 2nd hand spacy to practice driving slowly first
QUOTE(D'cruise61 @ Jun 20 2017, 04:54 PM)
I agree, learning to ride is one thing but learning to ride on highway and in traffic especially heavy traffic in the morning and evening with other bikers tailing you is another animal all together.  So my advice is get a second hand bike (at least u wont feel the pinch of scratch and dents on a new bike if the bike falls n believe me the bike will fall) and learn to manage the basic skill of riding on off peak hours and weekend until you are confident. Then only work you way slowly into riding during heavy traffic and long distance.
I don't have license atm. I have some experience riding in residential area and in campus. But no experience or the confidence to ride in heavy traffic.

I plan to get nmax (or wait for aerox) and learn how to ride for few weeks, to gain confidence. Im not in a rush as i still can drive to work.
haturaya
post Jun 20 2017, 07:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
2,469 posts

QUOTE(akira87 @ Jun 20 2017, 02:41 PM)
Is it reliable?
I dont know if i am able to ride bike with clutch
thank you for ur suggestions. how bout their fuel consumption and maintainance?
Thank you, nmax (or aerox) is on top of the list.
QUOTE(akira87 @ Jun 20 2017, 05:45 PM)
I don't have license atm. I have some experience riding in residential area  and in campus. But no experience or the confidence to ride in heavy traffic.

I plan to get nmax (or wait for aerox) and learn how to ride for few weeks, to gain confidence. Im not in a rush as i still can drive to work.
I I were you, I'll go for AEROX... sportier than NMAX and comes with keyless. thumbup.gif

Since you're truly newby, I would suggest starts small (any second hand bike / scooter will do), then gain that much needed riding experience (heavy traffic, safe lane splitting, fast riding, cornering, wet road, heavy weather, etc). Once you have that under your belt, than can think of a much bigger bike. Either clutch bike or maxi / big scooter. The choice is your's. thumbup.gif

As for riding license, go straight for B. It sounds intimidating, but it's not that difficult. Same test course, just different bike. thumbup.gif
TSakira87
post Jun 20 2017, 08:57 PM

Weeeee~
702 posts

QUOTE(haturaya @ Jun 20 2017, 07:05 PM)
I I were you, I'll go for AEROX... sportier than NMAX and comes with keyless.  thumbup.gif

Since you're truly newby, I would suggest starts small (any second hand bike / scooter will do), then gain that much needed riding experience (heavy traffic, safe lane splitting, fast riding, cornering, wet road, heavy weather, etc). Once you have that under your belt, than can think of a much bigger bike. Either clutch bike or maxi / big scooter. The choice is your's.  thumbup.gif

As for riding license, go straight for B. It sounds intimidating, but it's not that difficult. Same test course, just different bike.  thumbup.gif
The only thing is that aerox have smaller fuel tank compared to nmax and pcx. Since i travel quite a distance every day, i need to refuel frequently.

How bout 150cc kapchai like y15zr, rs150r, and fz150?
warpig
post Jun 20 2017, 10:15 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(haturaya @ Jun 20 2017, 07:05 PM)
I I were you, I'll go for AEROX... sportier than NMAX and comes with keyless.  thumbup.gif

Since you're truly newby, I would suggest starts small (any second hand bike / scooter will do), then gain that much needed riding experience (heavy traffic, safe lane splitting, fast riding, cornering, wet road, heavy weather, etc). Once you have that under your belt, than can think of a much bigger bike. Either clutch bike or maxi / big scooter. The choice is your's.  thumbup.gif

As for riding license, go straight for B. It sounds intimidating, but it's not that difficult. Same test course, just different bike.  thumbup.gif
+1

wow, aerox looks really good. but small fuel tank. nmax also good choice. scooter very good for commuting. clutch bike can do some stunt n big fuel tank, but up 2 u can drive that long with aggressive position. kapcai normally small fuel tank although got 150cc.
haturaya
post Jun 21 2017, 06:21 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
2,469 posts

QUOTE(akira87 @ Jun 20 2017, 08:57 PM)
The only thing is that aerox have smaller fuel tank compared to nmax and pcx. Since i travel quite a distance every day, i need to refuel frequently.

How bout 150cc kapchai like y15zr, rs150r, and fz150?
Since your main concert is for daily long distance commute, then the best bet is PCX (the most expensive of all, RM12k). It has 8 litres fuel tank. It's serves you best from distance perspective. The underseat storage also the largest. The PCX suspension also the most comfy, more on soft side compared to NMAX. thumbup.gif

As for 150cc kapchai, I can only give some info on RS150R, my brother use it. It rides firmly and quick too, but the fuel tank also smallish. 4.5 litres. You need to refuel twice as much as PCX. whistling.gif No underseat storage, you'll need top box for your raincoat, etc.

The choice is yours. flex.gif

QUOTE(warpig @ Jun 20 2017, 10:15 PM)
+1

wow, aerox looks really good. but small fuel tank. nmax also good choice. scooter very good for commuting. clutch bike can do some stunt n big fuel tank, but up 2 u can drive that long with aggressive position. kapcai normally small fuel tank although got 150cc.
Yup, smallest fuel tank among PCX, NMAX and AEROX.
warpig
post Jun 21 2017, 11:47 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

btw if 100km per day. if u lazy to go pump fuel better get clutch bike with >12l fuel tank. ~30km/liter
cyh03176
post Jun 21 2017, 11:48 AM

Casual
476 posts

QUOTE(akira87 @ Jun 20 2017, 03:36 PM)
how long does it take for you to build up the confidence?
I need to learn how to ride first before going for a test drive, lol.
Thank you, would definitely think about it.
about 200km and a week of practising. confidence and experience is different thing lol. riding a clutch bike is easy, the tricky part is on how to downshift.
lucifah
post Jun 21 2017, 11:50 AM

St. Fu
Group Icon
Staff
7,932 posts

versys250 if you want something sporty

but it's a bit pricey
TSakira87
post Jun 23 2017, 11:42 AM

Weeeee~
702 posts

QUOTE(haturaya @ Jun 21 2017, 06:21 AM)
Since your main concert is for daily long distance commute, then the best bet is PCX (the most expensive of all, RM12k). It has 8 litres fuel tank. It's serves you best from distance perspective. The underseat storage also the largest. The PCX suspension also the most comfy, more on soft side compared to NMAX. thumbup.gif

As for 150cc kapchai, I can only give some info on RS150R, my brother use it. It rides firmly and quick too, but the fuel tank also smallish. 4.5 litres. You need to refuel twice as much as PCX.  whistling.gif  No underseat storage, you'll need top box for your raincoat, etc.

The choice is yours.  flex.gif
Yup, smallest fuel tank among PCX, NMAX and AEROX.
Noted, I will try all 3 scooters first before making any decision

QUOTE(warpig @ Jun 21 2017, 11:47 AM)
btw if 100km per day. if u lazy to go pump fuel better get clutch bike with >12l fuel tank. ~30km/liter
Well, z250sl or used z250 also in my consideration IF i decided to go for clutch bike.

QUOTE(cyh03176 @ Jun 21 2017, 11:48 AM)
about 200km and a week of practising. confidence and experience is different thing lol. riding a clutch bike is easy, the tricky part is on how to downshift.
Well, we have to start somewhere. Training is not a prob for me especially riding on empty road. The confidence to ride in heavy traffic is what worry me, even if i choose to ride a scooter.

QUOTE(lucifah @ Jun 21 2017, 11:50 AM)
versys250 if you want something sporty

but it's a bit pricey
A bit bulky for a newbie dont u think? And yeah, a bit pricey

Anyway, IF i decide to go for a clutch bike, is z250sl a good choice? Or used z250?

mADmAN
post Jun 23 2017, 02:19 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,515 posts

QUOTE(akira87 @ Jun 23 2017, 11:42 AM)
Anyway, IF i decide to go for a clutch bike, is z250sl a good choice? Or used z250?
Z250SL = no...quite a number of issues with this one.

Z250 = yes...go for this instead

i was once considering the Z250SL too.. joined the FB group and was horrified with the problems this bike has..... bought a used Z250 instead and been very happy for the past year with about 20k km on the bike already.
TSakira87
post Jun 23 2017, 02:52 PM

Weeeee~
702 posts

QUOTE(mADmAN @ Jun 23 2017, 02:19 PM)
Z250SL = no...quite a number of issues with this one.

Z250 = yes...go for this instead
i was once considering the Z250SL too.. joined the FB group and was horrified with the problems this bike has..... bought a used Z250 instead and been very happy for the past year with about 20k km on the bike already.
Mind to share the issue faced by sl owner? And ur opinion on z250 for newbie pls?
mADmAN
post Jun 23 2017, 03:09 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,515 posts

QUOTE(akira87 @ Jun 23 2017, 02:52 PM)
Mind to share the issue faced by sl owner? And ur opinion on z250 for newbie pls?
opinion on z250 for newbie... one of the best beginner bikes.. super reliable.. super easy to manage and handle etc. just need to keep in mind that the maintenance will be a huge jump from kapchais....even for normal servicing

Z250sl... current most common problem is cracking headlamp. but when i was doing my research previously there were 2-3 cases of broken crankshaft.. and even now a few other engine related problems are popping up...
cyh03176
post Jun 23 2017, 05:31 PM

Casual
476 posts

QUOTE(akira87 @ Jun 23 2017, 11:42 AM)
Noted, I will try all 3 scooters first before making any decision
Well, z250sl or used z250 also in my consideration IF i decided to go for clutch bike.
Well, we have to start somewhere. Training is not a prob for me especially riding on empty road. The confidence to ride in heavy traffic is what worry me, even if i choose to ride a scooter.
A bit bulky for a newbie dont u think? And yeah, a bit pricey

go for used ef6n thumbup.gif

just go out and ride, if the traffic is heavy and you have no confidence, just do it slowly, don't care about those kapcai, they want to die first let them potong you only.
rai_fuzz
post Jun 24 2017, 05:56 AM

Enthusiast
978 posts

QUOTE(D'cruise61 @ Jun 20 2017, 04:54 PM)
I agree, learning to ride is one thing but learning to ride on highway and in traffic especially heavy traffic in the morning and evening with other bikers tailing you is another animal all together.  So my advice is get a second hand bike (at least u wont feel the pinch of scratch and dents on a new bike if the bike falls n believe me the bike will fall) and learn to manage the basic skill of riding on off peak hours and weekend until you are confident. Then only work you way slowly into riding during heavy traffic and long distance.
This is very true, especially the highway & its traffic part. I ride daily using AKLEH and I’m always on alert when I enter it as everyone speed through, cars or bike alike.

I plan on getting a bike, 150 - 200cc. Is there a checklist on what to lookout for when checking a 2nd hand bike? My current bike Wave Alpha 110 is bought new hence I have no experience in this. But the riding has been killing my back & knee (I’m a 6footer) hence planning to get a bigger bike.
fastreader
post Jun 26 2017, 09:54 PM

4,551 posts

QUOTE(cyh03176 @ Jun 20 2017, 03:14 PM)
i was same like you, zero experience in riding.

i bought a ninja 250, until today still L license, i learn how to ride all by myself through watching youtube.

the first 1000km is scary, i also fell 3 times within my first 2500km.

but now it's 5000km already i can say i can ride well enough.

so my recommendation? buy a 2nd hand bike with clutch first, maybe fz150i or kapcai or 2nd hand ninja 250 if you want. then progress from there. but for 100km daily, i wouldn't complain with my ninja 250. it's comfortable, yes it's a sportbike but the sitting position is almost upright for me.
do u keep renewing ur L licence? or u juz let it expire?
cyh03176
post Jun 26 2017, 11:04 PM

Casual
476 posts

QUOTE(fastreader @ Jun 26 2017, 09:54 PM)
do u keep renewing ur L licence? or u juz let it expire?
L license has a 2 years expiry date. Mine is expiring on this coming October cry.gif

well, will take an exam before that, still have 4 months to go biggrin.gif

I renewed it for 6 months every time.
s@ni
post Jun 27 2017, 02:54 PM

Gambar Di Lesen Kereta Saya
2,814 posts

QUOTE(rai_fuzz @ Jun 24 2017, 05:56 AM)
This is very true, especially the highway & its traffic part. I ride daily using AKLEH and I’m always on alert when I enter it as everyone speed through, cars or bike alike.

I plan on getting a bike, 150 - 200cc. Is there a checklist on what to lookout for when checking a 2nd hand bike? My current bike Wave Alpha 110 is bought new hence I have no experience in this. But the riding has been killing my back & knee (I’m a 6footer) hence planning to get a bigger bike.
Take a slightly bigger bike.. Fz150i or rs150r or y15zr.

Those 3 are still within kapchai category, so Maintenance is not so expensive
rai_fuzz
post Jun 27 2017, 09:49 PM

Enthusiast
978 posts

QUOTE(s@ni @ Jun 27 2017, 02:54 PM)
Take a slightly bigger bike.. Fz150i or rs150r or y15zr.

Those 3 are still within kapchai category, so Maintenance is not so expensive
FZ150i WAS my prime choice until Bajaj NS200 was launched here officially by Modenas. The other 2 is still the same category with Alpha i.e. kapchai, which are not suitable for my need.

Perhaps I’ll buy new with NS200 since buying a second hand big bikes poses lot of after buy maintenance ( big cc, more speeding, more wear & tear).

Thank you for your suggestion bro.
fastreader
post Jun 27 2017, 11:06 PM

4,551 posts

QUOTE(cyh03176 @ Jun 26 2017, 11:04 PM)
L license has a 2 years expiry date. Mine is expiring on this coming October cry.gif

well, will take an exam before that, still have 4 months to go biggrin.gif

I renewed it for 6 months every time.
oic...noted. i will consider to renew mine...i juz checked and realise mine only have a 3 months validity
cyh03176
post Jun 28 2017, 12:31 AM

Casual
476 posts

QUOTE(fastreader @ Jun 27 2017, 11:06 PM)
oic...noted. i will consider to renew mine...i juz checked and realise mine only have a 3 months validity
yea, you can renew it too at the post office.

renew it for 6 months la brows.gif

btw, police never stop me before.

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0181sec    0.40    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:52 PM