Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

IPad Connectivity - Wi-Fi vs Wi-Fi + Cellular, Which one is your choice?

IPad Connectivity - Wi-Fi vs Wi-Fi + Cellular

Wi-Fi [ 22 ] ** [52.38%]
Wi-Fi + Cellular [ 20 ] ** [47.62%]
Total Votes: 42
Guests cannot vote 
views

TSwestlife
post Jun 18 2017, 10:40 AM, updated 7y ago

10k Club
All Stars
12,298 posts

Please share the following:
IPad Model:
Connectivity (WiFi or WiFi+Cellular):
Reason:

stevenlee
post Jun 18 2017, 10:50 AM

look @ my Star *o* ...hoho
3,093 posts

ipad air 2 (wifi + cellular)
not every place wifi is fast... I prefer to use my own data plan for convenient and fast.. and I can use it even on the go
ttan777
post Jun 18 2017, 10:52 AM

Casual
449 posts

cellular has gps
SUSgogo2
post Jun 18 2017, 10:52 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(stevenlee @ Jun 18 2017, 10:50 AM)
ipad air 2 (wifi + cellular)
not every place wifi is fast... I prefer to use my own data plan for convenient and fast.. and I can use it even on the go
You can hotspot from your phone. Wifi iPad is enough

SUSgogo2
post Jun 18 2017, 10:53 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(ttan777 @ Jun 18 2017, 10:52 AM)
cellular has gps
You don't use iPad as gps.

This post has been edited by gogo2: Jun 18 2017, 10:53 AM
ttan777
post Jun 18 2017, 11:01 AM

Casual
449 posts

QUOTE(gogo2 @ Jun 18 2017, 11:53 AM)
You don't use iPad as gps.
you can convert it to use in car..
http://files.harrispublications.com/wp-con...n-car-audio.jpg
stevenlee
post Jun 18 2017, 11:03 AM

look @ my Star *o* ...hoho
3,093 posts

QUOTE(gogo2 @ Jun 18 2017, 10:52 AM)
You can hotspot from your phone. Wifi iPad is enough
nope I don't like to be so trouble..
the other concern I hv also, your phone battery will drain together with ipad...
then you need 2 cable and 2 port power bank to charge them for long term usage

SUSgogo2
post Jun 18 2017, 11:08 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(ttan777 @ Jun 18 2017, 11:01 AM)
No you don't do that as normal person

QUOTE(stevenlee @ Jun 18 2017, 11:03 AM)
nope I don't like to be so trouble..
the other concern I hv also, your phone battery will drain together with ipad...
then you need 2 cable and 2 port power bank to charge them for long term usage
Hotspot is not draining too much on battery for Android or iPhone.
No trouble at all. Just turn on hotspot and enjoy.
iPad battery last very long on wifi.

No power bank necessary
OKLY
post Jun 18 2017, 12:21 PM

The Penguin Vader
Group Icon
Staff
11,946 posts

I have the same thought as most people here whereby we can always tether it to our phone and have been buying WiFi models only for many years. Recently bought a cellular model for a good price and the convenience is really a plus point.

If your iPad only stays at home then yes by all means get the WiFi model. However if your iPad does leave your house, even if it's only once in a while, I would recommend getting the cellular model. If you've never bought a cellular model, try it at least once, then I believe it can help you decide better for future purchases.
SUSgogo2
post Jun 18 2017, 12:26 PM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(OKLY @ Jun 18 2017, 12:21 PM)
I have the same thought as most people here whereby we can always tether it to our phone and have been buying WiFi models only for many years. Recently bought a cellular model for a good price and the convenience is really a plus point.

If your iPad only stays at home then yes by all means get the WiFi model. However if your iPad does leave your house, even if it's only once in a while, I would recommend getting the cellular model. If you've never bought a cellular model, try it at least once, then I believe it can help you decide better for future purchases.
I already tried with cellular model with iPad 2 and I can say that cellular model is useless.
OKLY
post Jun 18 2017, 12:28 PM

The Penguin Vader
Group Icon
Staff
11,946 posts

QUOTE(gogo2 @ Jun 18 2017, 12:26 PM)
I already tried with cellular model with iPad 2 and I can say that cellular model is useless.
Yup, at least you tried so you know for sure that getting the cellular model will be a waste for you. I believe this is the best way to cure this dilemma, get a cellular model and try and if it's not helpful then can decide on WiFi models in the future.
TSwestlife
post Jun 18 2017, 01:02 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,298 posts

QUOTE(OKLY @ Jun 18 2017, 12:21 PM)

I owned all variants of cellular iPads including ipad 2, iPad mini, iPad mini 2 and iPad mini 3. Never buy a wifi-only ipad before.

It is very convenient.

For those who really do not want to buy a wi-fi + cellular model, I think a good alternative is to get a mifi to share the Sim mobile data to all devices which I am doing it now and I find it quite ok. I attached a power bank to the mifi permanently to use it outdoor and it is good. Save battery for all my Apple devices when outdoor.

SUSgogo2
post Jun 18 2017, 01:15 PM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

QUOTE(OKLY @ Jun 18 2017, 12:28 PM)
Yup, at least you tried so you know for sure that getting the cellular model will be a waste for you. I believe this is the best way to cure this dilemma, get a cellular model and try and if it's not helpful then can decide on WiFi models in the future.
This is a joke right? Paying RM400 more to try? vmad.gif
OKLY
post Jun 18 2017, 02:05 PM

The Penguin Vader
Group Icon
Staff
11,946 posts

QUOTE(gogo2 @ Jun 18 2017, 01:15 PM)
This is a joke right? Paying RM400 more to try? vmad.gif
For those who always have this dilemma, it's better to try it out and conclude it once and for all.

Also, there's always a saying it is better to have compared to not have and need it.

Nobody knows what's best for you, only you yourself can determine. I also noticed countless of such polls asking whether to get WiFi or cellular model, and most of the time it ends up pretty even.
shennwuu
post Jun 18 2017, 10:20 PM

Getting Started
183 posts

Here some questions for you:

#1 Do you have a smartphone?

#2 Do you mind to carry powerbank around?

#3 Do you even bother to turn on hotspot on your phone and connect your iPad to it?

#4 Do you want to look fancy with having "4G" on your iPad' top left corner?

Analyse:

#1: Yes. Go to #2.
No. Take Cellular iPad.

#2: Yes. Take Cellular iPad.
No. Take Wifi iPad.

#3: Yes. Take Cellular iPad if and only you also prefer to read on iPad.
No. Take Wifi iPad.

#4 If yes, you know what to do XD

No matter how, you do not need to spend more on cellular variant if you have a smartphone. Having a cellular ready iPad is not really practical unless you need it.

In my opinion, a traveler who travels a lot with his iPad holding on his hand, a cellular iPad is the one he shall need, searching map, real time navigation, update social media, post travel photos, looking for hotel and interest places. This is a reference for you to consider it if you find yourself doing so even you are not a traveler. Keeping iPad in the bag or holding it on your hand is a key factor, each will tell you what variant you need to choose.

I owned an iPad Pro 9.7 Cellular+Wifi and my SIM slot is still empty until now. I have an iPhone with bluetooth enabled all time which means even though I turned off personal hotspot on iPhone, my iPad will still get to see my iPhone hotspot available in the Wifi list.

Hope this will help.

shennwuu
post Jun 18 2017, 10:25 PM

Getting Started
183 posts

FYI, iPad with cellular can be a personal hotspot too!
Mavik
post Jun 19 2017, 10:21 AM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

I have been using the Wifi + Cellular iPad models since the first iPad Mini 2 was launched then moving on to the 9.7" iPad Air and then to the 12.9" iPad Pro.

Finally, I thought that I would like to just tether from my iPhone and bought the new 9.7" iPad WIFI model only. It was only through this new experience did I realise what I am completely missing.

1) Yes, tethering from the phone is one possibility, but it definitely drains my phone's battery a lot faster to tether
2) Because of that added step of trying to tether, I find the iPad less of a productivity tool and more for just media consumption
3) When I went overseas recently, I couldn't get a local data sim card and use it on my iPad (extremely useful tool to have)
4) Stopped using my iPad more of a note taker because it takes too long to connect and then open a new note

Just my 2 cents
TSwestlife
post Jun 19 2017, 10:29 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,298 posts

QUOTE(Mavik @ Jun 19 2017, 10:21 AM)
I have been using the Wifi + Cellular iPad models since the first iPad Mini 2 was launched then moving on to the 9.7" iPad Air and then to the 12.9" iPad Pro.

Finally, I thought that I would like to just tether from my iPhone and bought the new 9.7" iPad WIFI model only. It was only through this new experience did I realise what I am completely missing.

1) Yes, tethering from the phone is one possibility, but it definitely drains my phone's battery a lot faster to tether
yes, unlike one uses mifi to share data.

2) Because of that added step of trying to tether, I find the iPad less of a productivity tool and more for just media consumption
if connect from iPad to iPhone via bluetooth, it is not too bad and it can constantly be connected unlike personal hotspot via wifi

3) When I went overseas recently, I couldn't get a local data sim card and use it on my iPad (extremely useful tool to have)
yup, iPad with wi-fi and cellular can act like a good hotspot device. alternatively, if one has a mifi, this can be resolved.

4) Stopped using my iPad more of a note taker because it takes too long to connect and then open a new note
why it takes longer time to open? i tot note even without connection, u can still create a new note, and it will sync when it has Internet connectivity later. Dun really get the longer time part. 

Just my 2 cents
Mavik
post Jun 20 2017, 12:52 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

yes, unlike one uses mifi to share data.
With a MIFI, that means I have another device to worry about as well as figuring out to maintain its battery charge and all

if connect from iPad to iPhone via bluetooth, it is not too bad and it can constantly be connected unlike personal hotspot via wifi
Yes, that is the best way and also means you have to take additional steps. Also you need to take out your phone from your pocket in order for it to get a better signal. Additional risk if it is in a public space

yup, iPad with wi-fi and cellular can act like a good hotspot device. alternatively, if one has a mifi, this can be resolved.
Then you have to carry 3 devices, which makes no absolute sense.

why it takes longer time to open? i tot note even without connection, u can still create a new note, and it will sync when it has Internet connectivity later. Dun really get the longer time part.
Because when taking notes, you also refer to previous notes and also want to grab items from the web to include into notes. Having that is what makes taking notes with an iPad better, otherwise just stick with a pen and paper
shaunkL
post Jul 12 2017, 12:02 PM

Getting Started
238 posts

Hi all, sorry a bit off topic...

Any recommendation dataplan for ipad usage?
Preferable prepaid type just in case need to use the ipad outside from wifi.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0414sec    0.19    8 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:59 AM