Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[WTA] Monitor 27" (or bigger)

views

TSray123
post May 31 2017, 12:07 PM, updated 7y ago

Senior Citizen
2,469 posts

Looking for recommendations, 27" or bigger.

Current rig:

CPU: Ryzen5 1600 with 16GB RAM
GPU: Zotac 1060 GTX 6GB AMP Edition
Current Monitor: Acer 230HL - 23inch 60hz, DVI only
View/sitting distance: typical office desk, an arm's length distance at minimum

Usage: browsing, single-player games (all kinds, from Hearthstone to Mass Effect: Andromeda), word processing, YouTube and downloaded movies and manga.

Lately I'm noticing a flickering background on the bottom half of this old monitor which I bought in 2011, and since I recently upgraded my machine I think it's time to get a new monitor. I have saved quite a bit by cannibalizing my old machine (SSD, HDD, case etc), so anything below RM1500 is fine.

Notes: Much of my movie collection is 720p, TV series in 480p and most if not all of my anime are mini-encodes of 720p or higher. I recently received a 50mbps Unifi so my download preference could change in the future, but I don't see myself downloading blu-ray or huge movie files.

While not a competitive gamer, there is noticeable tearing in my current set-up, this is one reason I feel the need for a new monitor. I'm fine with 1080p, in fact I was ready to purchase on this guy's recommendation but it is not sold nor shipped to Malaysia:

LG 32MA68HY-P 32-Inch IPS Monitor
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

k!nex
post Jun 2 2017, 11:20 AM

Restless stars
3,327 posts

Try get a 1440p ones at that kind of size. 1080p at close range is not very nice to look at. I can see noticeable difference in graphics quality at 32inch between 1080p and 1440p ones , even when playing dota2. Tested on a Agon AG322FCX monitor and Viewsonic VX3209-2k.
TSray123
post Jun 2 2017, 11:26 AM

Senior Citizen
2,469 posts

QUOTE(k!nex @ Jun 2 2017, 11:20 AM)
Try get a 1440p ones at that kind of size. 1080p at close range is not very nice to look at. I can see noticeable difference in graphics quality at 32inch between 1080p and 1440p ones , even when playing dota2. Tested on a Agon AG322FCX monitor and Viewsonic VX3209-2k.
Yeah I just ordered a VX3209-2K. I did see the Agon, but the price is totally out for me.
k!nex
post Jun 2 2017, 01:04 PM

Restless stars
3,327 posts

QUOTE(ray123 @ Jun 2 2017, 11:26 AM)
Yeah I just ordered a VX3209-2K. I did see the Agon, but the price is totally out for me.
When you get the unit, you will notice that the factory colour calibration quite suck. You need to recalibrate the colour especially that blue light filter. Original factory setting is too blueish.
TSray123
post Jun 2 2017, 01:27 PM

Senior Citizen
2,469 posts

QUOTE(k!nex @ Jun 2 2017, 01:04 PM)
When you get the unit, you will notice that the factory colour calibration quite suck. You need to recalibrate the colour especially that blue light filter. Original factory setting is too blueish.
Just use the Windows 10 Display settings or is there some other software recommended?
k!nex
post Jun 2 2017, 02:25 PM

Restless stars
3,327 posts

QUOTE(ray123 @ Jun 2 2017, 01:27 PM)
Just use the Windows 10 Display settings or is there some other software recommended?
Press the buttons on the monitor.
AdamNg
post Jun 4 2017, 07:26 PM

Getting Started
219 posts

Using Samsung Syncmaster P2350 now..
Most of the time playing games
Plan to upgrade to 27 inch monitor...worth it???
Budget around RM1K..

This post has been edited by AdamNg: Jun 4 2017, 07:28 PM
TSray123
post Jun 4 2017, 08:43 PM

Senior Citizen
2,469 posts

QUOTE(AdamNg @ Jun 4 2017, 07:26 PM)
Using Samsung Syncmaster P2350 now..
Most of the time playing games
Plan to upgrade to 27 inch monitor...worth it???
Budget around RM1K..
I'm still waiting for my new monitor to arrive, but from what I read:

1. If you're a casual gamer with an older machine, don't worry about it. Upgrade your PC first.
2. If you're upgrading your machine, only change your monitor to match your new graphic card's capabilities: what sort of resolution it can pump out, what sort of games you intend to play at those resolutions.
3. If you're doing professional image work, you will need an IPS monitor. One with 60hz refresh rate is still good enough for gaming.
4. If you want to see the most frames put out by your top-of-the-line graphic card and you love competitive gaming (eg: CSGO), you need a monitor with high refresh rate and low response time. This usually means a TN monitor.

Once you have decided the main purpose of your monitor, you then need to balance between sizes: the size of the screen and of course, the size of your wallet.

Reasons I chose the VX3209-K:
1. It's big. Very big.
2. It has IPS. I'm not a competitive gamer, so the 8ms response time is not a big deal for me.
3. Most important: my current monitor is from 2011 and I see flickering in the background. I have rebuilt other parts of my system recently, the monitor is the last remaining piece.
TSray123
post Jun 6 2017, 01:58 PM

Senior Citizen
2,469 posts

Just received my monitor today.

First impression: I may have made a mistake lol... it's so huge. Haven't gotten around to play with it yet, just plugged in and see if it worked. Need to do some adjustments later.
malindostaff
post Oct 6 2017, 01:04 AM

6 posts

QUOTE(ray123 @ Jun 6 2017, 01:58 PM)
Just received my monitor today.

First impression: I may have made a mistake lol... it's so huge. Haven't gotten around to play with it yet, just plugged in and see if it worked. Need to do some adjustments later.
I following ur thread.. can u give me ur review
Tq
TSray123
post Oct 6 2017, 11:51 AM

Senior Citizen
2,469 posts

QUOTE(malindostaff @ Oct 6 2017, 01:04 AM)
I following ur thread.. can u give me ur review
Tq
Oh, I posted some points in another thread. I'll copy it here and update at the end:-

I love it. But then again my opinion might be skewed because I was upgrading from a 2011 monitor (23in Acer 230HL with DVI), and I'm no monitor expert. And I spend more time reading and watching videos than actual gaming, but no problems at all with my GTX1060 6GB. Remember, it's only 60hz so you will have to turn vsync on if screen tearing is excessive.

I won't bother saying about the good stuff since you can look them up online reviews, but I can say some of the "I wish that..." feelings I get:

1. Depending on your sitting position, it might be too big. The manual recommends at least 45cm distance. Doesn't matter to me as I'm the sort that leans way back in my chair most of the time, but to others who sit up straight for long period you might find yourself moving your head to fully see the quadrants.
2. No USB hub, and depending your room ambiance you may wish for one to easily install additional bias lighting at the back.
3. It only comes in white.
4. It comes with two power cables: native (China?) which is white, and the traditional 3-pronged plug that we use here in Malaysia. However, that cable is black.
5. It has some tilt but no swivel or pivot, and since it's heavy (18.8kg) it might be annoying for those who are used to moving the monitor however they wish.
6. No official drivers, Windows 10 only sees it as a Generic PnP monitor. The website drivers are unhelpful. This doesn't impair my experience in any way, I have played multiple games (Prey, The Surge, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Just Cause 3), multiple browsers and programs with no problems.
7. Very minor thing - The bottom part of the bezel might feel uncomfortably warm. I'm not sure if this a common thing with other monitors but it was something that I noticed when i running my fingers along the edge.

The small Viewsplitter program (downloaded from their site) is quite useful to quickly 'split' your screen and automatically resize multiple windows accordingly. You start the program, select on how you want to divide the screen sections. Then drag a window (eg a browser) to one section, and it will autosnap and resize into place.

After some months of using the monitor, I have fully gotten used to it. The above points were posted after some days of usage, but today I really enjoy the huge screen. Whether sitting close or lying on the bed, it's a great screen to watch.
malindostaff
post Oct 6 2017, 12:22 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(ray123 @ Oct 6 2017, 11:51 AM)
Oh, I posted some points in another thread. I'll copy it here and update at the end:-

I love it. But then again my opinion might be skewed because I was upgrading from a 2011 monitor (23in Acer 230HL with DVI), and I'm no monitor expert. And I spend more time reading and watching videos than actual gaming, but no problems at all with my GTX1060 6GB. Remember, it's only 60hz so you will have to turn vsync on if screen tearing is excessive.

I won't bother saying about the good stuff since you can look them up online reviews, but I can say some of the "I wish that..." feelings I get:

1. Depending on your sitting position, it might be too big. The manual recommends at least 45cm distance. Doesn't matter to me as I'm the sort that leans way back in my chair most of the time, but to others who sit up straight for long period you might find yourself moving your head to fully see the quadrants.
2. No USB hub, and depending your room ambiance you may wish for one to easily install additional bias lighting at the back.
3. It only comes in white.
4. It comes with two power cables: native (China?) which is white, and the traditional 3-pronged plug that we use here in Malaysia. However, that cable is black.
5. It has some tilt but no swivel or pivot, and since it's heavy (18.8kg) it might be annoying for those who are used to moving the monitor however they wish.
6. No official drivers, Windows 10 only sees it as a Generic PnP monitor. The website drivers are unhelpful. This doesn't impair my experience in any way, I have played multiple games (Prey, The Surge, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Just Cause 3), multiple browsers and programs with no problems.
7. Very minor thing - The bottom part of the bezel might feel uncomfortably warm. I'm not sure if this a common thing with other monitors but it was something that I noticed when i running my fingers along the edge.

The small Viewsplitter program (downloaded from their site) is quite useful to quickly 'split' your screen and automatically resize multiple windows accordingly. You start the program, select on how you want to divide the screen sections. Then drag a window (eg a browser) to one section, and it will autosnap and resize into place.

After some months of using the monitor, I have fully gotten used to it. The above points were posted after some days of usage, but today I really enjoy the huge screen. Whether sitting close or lying on the bed, it's a great screen to watch.
Orait..overall u seem satis with this..so there s no need to change 1060 6 gb to 1070 to play game without makian and cursing?

TSray123
post Oct 6 2017, 12:38 PM

Senior Citizen
2,469 posts

QUOTE(malindostaff @ Oct 6 2017, 12:22 PM)
Orait..overall u seem satis with this..so there s no need to change 1060 6 gb to 1070 to play game without makian and cursing?
That really depends on the games you're playing, and the sort of gfx details you want.

Do you want constant 1440p at high details? Then get a 1070... but you will need a gaming monitor to fully utilize the frames being pumped out.

Have a look at this Youtube channel, he compares many things and games.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCss3QxegB...h?query=1060+vs

malindostaff
post Oct 6 2017, 01:54 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(ray123 @ Oct 6 2017, 12:38 PM)
That really depends on the games you're playing, and the sort of gfx details you want.

Do you want constant 1440p at high details? Then get a 1070... but you will need a gaming monitor to fully utilize the frames being pumped out.

Have a look at this Youtube channel, he compares many things and games.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCss3QxegB...h?query=1060+vs
Orait thanks bro..stick with 1060 and this monitor maybe..hope fit me well

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0139sec    0.19    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:29 AM