Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Rockschool or Yamaha Grade Exam?

views

TSmroctopus
post May 29 2017, 05:19 PM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
224 posts

hi sifu here,
my son is currently starting on a music journey and still not decide whether to do yamaha grade exam or rockschool as he is given a choice between those two. The syllabus as told is slightly different between both. I just like to have your opinion which grade exam is international recognized, or more prefer if he would like to turn professional in the future? or perhaps both are equivalent in term of standard and recognition?
FlamingR
post May 29 2017, 05:41 PM

Casual
324 posts

QUOTE(mroctopus @ May 29 2017, 05:19 PM)
hi sifu here, 
my son is currently starting on a music journey and  still not decide whether to do  yamaha grade exam or rockschool as he is given a choice between those two. The syllabus as told is slightly different between both. I just like to have your opinion which grade exam is international recognized, or more prefer if he would like  to turn professional in the future? or perhaps both are equivalent in term of standard and recognition?
Hi, first of all that's great that your son is starting the musical journey. May I know which musical instrument he is currently playing?
I have been through both Yamaha Grade exams for my piano until I completed my student grade and Rockschool for my electric guitar (performance category).
To me Yamaha has great focus on theory(at least during my piano courses) and very all-rounder type of learning(listening skills, improvise songs, learn classic songs by Mozart/Beethoven etc.). Rockschool on the other hand generally has offered both theory and performance category for my electric guitar. I chose performance because I already got solid theory base from my piano experience with Yamaha hence I was able to pick up quickly on Guitar tabs.

In the end both are solid choices when it comes to the foundation of music. Once the foundation is solid, then your son should be able to pick up and learn new songs and advance easily with consistent practicing and of course enjoy the music he plays. Good luck!

TSmroctopus
post May 29 2017, 05:47 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(FlamingR @ May 29 2017, 05:41 PM)
Hi, first of all that's great that your son is starting the musical journey. May I know which musical instrument he is currently playing?
I have been through both Yamaha Grade exams for my piano until I completed my student grade and Rockschool for my electric guitar (performance category).
To me Yamaha has great focus on theory(at least during my piano courses) and very all-rounder type of learning(listening skills, improvise songs, learn classic songs by Mozart/Beethoven etc.). Rockschool on the other hand generally has offered both theory and performance category for my electric guitar. I chose performance because I already got solid theory base from my piano experience with Yamaha hence I was able to pick up quickly on Guitar tabs.

In the end both are solid choices when it comes to the foundation of music. Once the foundation is solid, then your son should be able to pick up and learn new songs and advance easily with consistent practicing and of course enjoy the music he plays. Good luck!
hi FlamingR, he is doing drum now. Has been learning since Jan 17.
Thank you for your advise, it will greatly help me to understand and appreciate smile.gif Good luck to your performance journey too!
ShikyoKira
post May 30 2017, 08:32 AM

1 posts

QUOTE(mroctopus @ May 29 2017, 05:19 PM)
hi sifu here, 
my son is currently starting on a music journey and  still not decide whether to do  yamaha grade exam or rockschool as he is given a choice between those two. The syllabus as told is slightly different between both. I just like to have your opinion which grade exam is international recognized, or more prefer if he would like  to turn professional in the future? or perhaps both are equivalent in term of standard and recognition?
Hi! I'm a music teacher currently teaching in Klang Valley. I have completed Yamaha graded exam til teachers grade 5. My rock school experience is from seeing classes conducted by others in the center I've taught. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

I think Yamaha is by far the better course in terms of all rounded education hands down compared to any in the world. I feel that rock school is decent but Yamaha is just too good. Rock school is recognized internationally but most institutions are still controlled by stuffy classical musicians so that may still snub you. I am Saying this as a classical musician myself. (I have degree in classical music from UCSI)

However Yamaha as two big downsides. One is that it is not internationally recognized. This is because Yamaha music doesn't care to make it so because they are a non profit organization and the have different aims and strategies compared to other boards. I can go on a lot about this but if you want to know more ask I'll reply in more detail.

All my friends who studied in uni wish they had learnt Yamaha when they were young cuz they see me breeze through many classes cuz I've already learnt it in Yamaha.

Of cuz my exposure is much more for Yamaha so I can say in more detail, and again take my advice with a grain of salt. Maybe somebody else can give you a better view for rock school
TSmroctopus
post Jun 11 2017, 05:15 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(ShikyoKira @ May 30 2017, 08:32 AM)
Hi! I'm a music teacher currently teaching in Klang Valley. I have completed Yamaha graded exam til teachers grade 5. My rock school experience is from seeing classes conducted by others in the center I've taught. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

I think Yamaha is by far the better course in terms of all rounded education hands down compared to any in the world.  I feel that rock school is decent but Yamaha is just too good. Rock school is recognized internationally but most institutions are still controlled by stuffy classical musicians so that may still snub you. I am Saying this as a classical musician myself. (I have degree in classical music from UCSI)

However Yamaha as two big downsides. One is that it is not internationally recognized. This is because Yamaha music doesn't care to make it so because they are a non profit organization and the have different aims and strategies compared to other boards. I can go on a lot about this but if you want to know more ask I'll reply in more detail.

All my friends who studied in uni wish they had learnt Yamaha when they were young cuz they see me breeze through many classes cuz I've already learnt it in Yamaha.

Of cuz my exposure is much more for Yamaha so I can say in more detail, and again take my advice with a grain of salt. Maybe somebody else can give you a better view for rock school
hi shikyokira, appreciate ur great explanation of yamaha grade exam. seldom people talk about it even if I try Google them there is very few comment about yamaha grade exam. ur comment will be very useful reference for anyone who decide which exam and pros/cons for each of them.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0115sec    0.10    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:07 AM