Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Malicious Subtitles Threaten Kodi, VLC and Popcorn, Security alert

views

TSOCMAX
post May 25 2017, 11:24 PM

Enthusiast
858 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ May 25 2017, 11:05 PM)
The only reason why I do not have personally identifiable information on my Android media box (Neo U1) is cuz that device is bombarded with apps that are sourced from questionable sources

These is what I tried to say. because there are so many free download and easy access and install to any of the android devices. It become a risk.

I'm not throwing out the android devices just that it doesn't give me the confident to utilize the system. Not like apple.

To me. Apple still more secured. LOL laugh.gif

btw! Is sad to see older device that thousands of people are still using label as "crappy devices" and abandon with security risk by those android/Kodi devs. rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by OCMAX: May 25 2017, 11:44 PM
voncrane
post May 26 2017, 01:46 AM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(OCMAX @ May 25 2017, 11:24 PM)
These is what I tried to say. because there are so many free download and easy access and install to any of the android devices. It become a risk.

I'm not throwing out the android devices just that it doesn't give me the confident to utilize the system. Not like apple.
To me. Apple still more secured. LOL  laugh.gif

btw! Is sad to see older device that thousands of people are still using label as "crappy devices" and abandon with security risk by those android/Kodi devs.  rclxub.gif
And I've pointed out several times that the risk you perceive is only a risk if one ventures out and use the device in an unsafe manner.. If anyone were to use Android exactly as they do an ios device.. puke.gif... I can guarantee that they'll not encounter any risks. I'm living proof of that and I'm running a custom ROM, a port of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7's firmware on my much older Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and it works flawlessly. My daily driver for about a year or so.. How? Once again, it's the power of Android being open source and the community. You tell me, which IPhone 4 is running an iPhone 7 plus firmware? Very unlikely and AFAIK,... None! Why? Cuz walled garden.. Look bruh, I get it.. Preferences are preferences and I own an iPad too.. Heck, typing this reply via the iPad. However, having used both OSes extensively, I can honestly say that Android lords over ios by a huge margin... I could go on and on about the numerous ways its superior.. But will stop now.. No point. I'll stick to the safest and most secure, whilst still retaining freedom, mobile OS.. thumbup.gif

True, it's sad. But here's the thing. The Kodi devs have established a strict standard and there are devices out there that stick to said standards.. Minix devices are one of them, regular OTA updates and why I've stuck with them for the past 3 flagship devices.. They've never failed. Earlier today, I upgraded to the latest Kodi V17.3 without any hassle... If one's device does not play well, majority of the time, it's due to that particular device.. Sure for some, a workaround might arise. See, when a Kodi user goes out and refuses to purchase a recommended for Kodi device, but instead due to cost or a don't care attitude, buys an inferior device that shipped with a buggy firmware, he/she immediately loses the right to complain about incompatibility issues and being left behind. That's just the simple truth. It's the same in the PC gaming world.. Minimum requirements are continually raised as better performance often require better hardware and software. With Kodi, all hope is not lost, as the older compatible versions will always work as intended. One only misses out on future improvements.

Edit: Thanks for the civil banter and not being triggered... notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by voncrane: May 26 2017, 01:49 AM
TSOCMAX
post May 26 2017, 07:18 AM

Enthusiast
858 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ May 26 2017, 01:46 AM)

You still couldn't get me. What I say is they left them out with Security risk. It's okay if they think the older or lower end hardware cannot use for the latest feature that they are moving forward but leaving them at risk without helping them to tackle the security loophole that they created.

That's a genius. laugh.gif

laugh.gif I owned Android hp too. I know how crappy it is if running only with untouched stock apps. laugh.gif 99% users owned an Android phones install 3rd party apps because is easy to access. I can't speak for others why they bought an android phone. as for me it's because of the easy access apps.

all the android devices can download Kodi, Popcorn Time and VLC from playstore? So If the stock devices did not install any aheem apps but installed these apps that are affected with the loophole not having any risk without patching? NO!

Oh! I have anther old & clean OS android phones. Only installed or can installed Kodi Javis 16.1. But now at risk due to NO security patch. LOL laugh.gif I only speak for myself and guaranty none. NO patch available currently. LOL laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by OCMAX: May 26 2017, 11:17 AM
GuyM
post May 26 2017, 08:07 AM

Regular
1,767 posts

QUOTE(OCMAX @ May 26 2017, 07:18 AM)
QUOTE(voncrane @ May 26 2017, 01:46 AM)

You still couldn't get me. What I say is they left them out with Security risk. It's okay if they think the older or lower end hardware cannot use for the latest feature that they are moving forward but leaving them at risk without helping them to tackle the security loophole that they created.

laugh.gif I owned Android hp too. I know how crappy it is if running only with untouched stock apps. laugh.gif 99% users owned an Android phones install 3rd party apps because is easy to access.
Thank you for the concern on users such as myself whose having Q16 running on 4.4.2 that's not compatible with Kodi 17.3

This post has been edited by GuyM: May 26 2017, 08:28 AM
TSOCMAX
post May 26 2017, 08:25 AM

Enthusiast
858 posts

QUOTE(GuyM @ May 26 2017, 08:07 AM)
Thank you for the concern on users such as myself whose having Q16 running on 4.4.2 that's not compatible with Kodi 17.3
These is one example and too bad for hundreds thousands of like TM white box and my poor old clean android phone. rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by OCMAX: May 26 2017, 09:51 AM
voncrane
post May 26 2017, 01:11 PM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

[quote=GuyM,May 26 2017, 08:07 AM]

laugh.gif I owned Android hp too. I know how crappy it is if running only with untouched stock apps. laugh.gif 99% users owned an Android phones install 3rd party apps because is easy to access.

This is the power of choice.. We have options, we make use of the options.. We are not stuck with and told.. Oh you MUST only use these apps or the phone this way cuz we know better than you.. Nope.

[/quote]

[/quote]
Provided the hardware can take it.. Contact Himedia and ask that a stable firmware update be released for your device.. Keyword here is "stable". As it's no use releasing a buggy Lollipop firmware, just cuz.. smile.gif

[quote=OCMAX,May 26 2017, 08:25 AM]
These is one example and too bad for hundreds thousands of like TM white box and my poor old clean android phone. rclxub.gif

[/quote]

TLDR: We like to blame others.. This time, most have picked the Kodi folks. But that's wrong as they are not at fault when users fail to listen to their advice and purchase a device that's not officially supported. Do you hear any Nvidia Shield or Wetek or Minix Neo U1+ device owners complaining? Nope! As I write, the guys at Minix are working on and will release their version of Krypton made specifically for Minix hardware. They've done the same with at least Isengard and Jarvis. That's a manufacturer that cares for its customers.

TM box? Haha.. How about you call TM and demand that they upgrade the firmware to Lollipop? No why stop there, demand for Marshmallow instead.. Are you aware that Android O is released?.. Hahaha.. Wut! the last paragraph of my previous post? Please go take a read again.. Let me try explaining even further.. With each major OS release on any platform, certain bugs are squashed, security is increased, code is made more efficient and able to churn out more performance from improved hardware.. If software can do everything, hardware decoding as we know it today will be irrelevant.. You would not need to dispose of the CRT TVs to get a FHD TV or dispose of the FHD TV, to get a UHD/SUHD with HDR10 and or Dolby Vision.. See where I'm going with this? Software is great and in most cases, some form of hackery can be written to patch things up.. This is what the Kodi devs have been doing for years for Android devices. They sweated and toiled coming up with various methods to keep the ship afloat for free and with limited resources and guess who made the most profit from their slaving..? Mobile device and TV Box manufacturers... Kodi isn't paid any royalty on each device produced capable of supporting it. I recall last year or so, there were only 2 Android developers!.. Imagine that, millions of Android devices running Kodi and these 2 fellas were in charge of making sure that Kodi worked reasonably well on each and every device.. That's a huge task.. they almost had to drop Android support and have been pleading for those with the necessary skills to come work for em officially.

So yeah, look at it from Kodi's perspective.. Android has a standard, all the manufacturers have to do is to incorporate these standards to play nice.. So if it's not working as intended, take an electronic baseball bat and let your device manufacturer have it.. Else, you've learnt your lesson and make wise purchases next time.. Don't blindly purchase such items. I bought my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 back in early 2014 and the Note 8 should be launching later this year. Yet, the Note 3 is still super relevant, despite been abandoned by Samsung.. Why, cuz I did my research and spent accordingly. Same with the Minix Neo U1. The guys at Minix are official diamond backers of the Kodi foundation. Go figure how that ensures I'm able to run the latest V17.3 release.. smile.gif

This post has been edited by voncrane: May 26 2017, 01:19 PM
TSOCMAX
post May 26 2017, 01:22 PM

Enthusiast
858 posts

LOL! Blame the owner that you have an old device running below new spec. That's none of their business. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

One person is so happy with thousand having risk. That's your problems. LOL laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Ops! I didn't buy the android phone. It was free given by Maxis package but wait that's my problems too because is an old spec.

Oh! I remember that's a statement if the Android phone only used playstore apps are guaranty safe. But now I'm at risk due to low end spec. Oppps.. is end user fault. LOL laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by OCMAX: May 26 2017, 01:29 PM
TSOCMAX
post May 26 2017, 02:03 PM

Enthusiast
858 posts

As for me. I leave no choice but to take precaution not to used the subtitle from the apps option for my older devices.

People are not so stupid to buy a back dated gadgets. Is stupid to abandon the old devices which is still working well. Just used wisely and smart.

1. Don't use you official google account to log into these devices. To me is risky.
2. I'll download the subtitle manually if I needed, scan with your anti-virus/Malwarebytes before unzip the SRT files to check the contents. (not asking you guys to follow)
3. Don't simply install addons/apk that you don't know. (I have removed the apk I shared earlier, better don't take the risk)
4. Even that's a patch to closed this security loopholes. Check who is providing
5. Used a VPN.

To be frank. I lost more confident with Android.

Cheers! smile.gif

This post has been edited by OCMAX: May 27 2017, 11:39 AM
voncrane
post May 26 2017, 03:11 PM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(OCMAX @ May 26 2017, 01:22 PM)
LOL! Blame the owner that you have an old device running below new spec. That's none of their business.  laugh.gif 

One person is so happy with thousand having risk. That's your problems. LOL

Ops! I didn't buy the android phone. It was free given by Maxis package but wait that's my problems too because is an old spec. 

Oh! I remember that's a statement if the Android phone only used playstore apps are guaranty safe. But now I'm at risk due to low end spec. Oppps.. is end user fault. LOL 
Bro.. My Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is considered an "old" device by today's standards and yet it can run Android OS V6.0.1 and Kodi V17.3 easily.. So yeah...Who else to blame but the user for not knowing how to purchase wisely and or upgrade their device.. It's the age of the internet and ignorance is no longer an excuse.. My Note 3 is probably older than your free device. With Android, you truly get what you pay for. Bad device = Bad experience, Good device = Good experience... Fact! Why else do you think Apple charges a premium for their devices... doh.gif doh.gif

QUOTE(OCMAX @ May 26 2017, 02:03 PM)
As for me. I leave no choice but to take precaution not to used the subtitle from the apps option for my older devices.

People are not so stupid to buy a back dated gadgets. Is stupid to abandon the old devices which is still working well. Just used wisely and smart.

1. Don't use you official google account to log into these devices. To me is risky.
2. I'll download the subtitle manually if I needed, scan with your anti-virus/Malwarebytes before unzip the SRT files to check the contents. (not asking you guys to follow)
3. Don't simply install addons/apk that you don't know. (I have removed the apk I shared earlier, better don't take the risk)
4. Even that's a patch to closed this security loopholes. Check who is providing

To be frank. I lost more confident with Android.

Cheers! smile.gif
Excellent precautions for those who are unable to get upgrade... Now you are talking.. The user takes action and not wait around pointing fingers.. tongue.gif .. .As for people being "stupid" to buy back-dated gadgets.. haha.. Even the iphone 7 is already back-dated.. I hang around device threads, you'll be amazed at how much "stupidity" is out there..

Okay... enjoy the prison disguised as a "secure garden"... laugh.gif icon_rolleyes.gif
lyc1982
post May 26 2017, 03:14 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

surprised still got ppl using Popcorn...as it's torrent based no ?

and it's illegal:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2979681/sof...s-survivor.html

This post has been edited by lyc1982: May 26 2017, 03:15 PM
TSOCMAX
post May 26 2017, 03:15 PM

Enthusiast
858 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ May 26 2017, 03:11 PM)
Excellent precautions for those who are unable to get upgrade... Now you are talking.. The user takes action and not wait around pointing fingers..  tongue.gif .. .As for people being "stupid" to buy back-dated gadgets.. haha.. Even the iphone 7 is already back-dated.. I hang around device threads, you'll be amazed at how much "stupidity" is out there..

Okay... enjoy the prison disguised as a "secure garden"...  laugh.gif  icon_rolleyes.gif
That's my first suggest but people think is useless. LOL laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

You have to see there's so many people being stuck at these issue. Who doesn't know to buy another devices but some people just not willing to give up the working unit.

You can poison others. Not me. LOL laugh.gif

This is an SRT files sample open with notepad. If you see any suspicious text from the page. deleted the file.

user posted image

Tha's no pdf,img in the subtittle zip file. there will be only one files name srt. If there's other type of files in the zip. delete the subtitle zip file.

Just sharing.

Cheers!

This post has been edited by OCMAX: May 27 2017, 11:40 AM
voncrane
post May 26 2017, 03:22 PM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(lyc1982 @ May 26 2017, 03:14 PM)
surprised still got ppl using Popcorn...as it's torrent based no ?

and it's illegal:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2979681/sof...s-survivor.html
Ehh.. Cut off one head and two will take its place.. Vive la révolution!

QUOTE(OCMAX @ May 26 2017, 03:15 PM)
That's my first suggest but people think is useless. LOL  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

You have to see there's so many people will be stuck at these issue. Who doesn't know to buy another devices but some people just not willing to give up the working unit.

You can poison others. Not me. LOL  laugh.gif
No lah.. Not useless.. First choice is upgrade, else you've got it all covered. No worries, give the community some time and the patch for Jarvis should surface.. Same like with the HTTPS V2 issue, FTMC and SPMC to the rescue...

Bro.. I'm also not eager to give up my trusty Note 3.. That's why, custom ROM, Kernel, etc.. Few months back, swapped out the battery with a new one for less than RM150.. Back to SOT of 4 hours+.. It's reborn!! flex.gif . How to swap out battery with newer devices these days all tightly sealed? doh.gif .. I sincerely hope it doesn't just die on me.. sweat.gif

Really.. No poison? sads.. tongue.gif.. Anyway, its all about preferences and I merely set out to correct the notion that Android is a weak/weaker OS.. As that is far from the truth.. A couple years ago, I would have agreed.. Today? Nope.. It rules. thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by voncrane: May 26 2017, 03:25 PM
TSOCMAX
post May 26 2017, 03:27 PM

Enthusiast
858 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ May 26 2017, 03:22 PM)
Ehh.. Cut off one head and two will take its place.. Vive la révolution!
No lah.. Not useless.. First choice is upgrade, else you've got it all covered. No worries, give the community some time and the patch for Jarvis should surface.. Same like with the HTTPS V2 issue, FTMC and SPMC to the rescue...

Bro.. I'm also not eager to give up my trusty Note 3.. That's why, custom ROM, Kernel, etc.. Few months back, swapped out the battery with a new one for less than RM150.. Back to SOT of 4 hours+.. It's reborn!!  flex.gif . How to swap out battery with newer devices these days all tightly sealed?  doh.gif .. I sincerely hope it doesn't just die on me..  sweat.gif

Really.. I sell so hard.. No poison? sads..  tongue.gif
I stop using android phones for years because I don't like the platform but I owned 3 of them. 2 got it free, one I bought for my son.

One of the free unit I used for my DRONE live flight view. laugh.gif

Imagine. I didn't install any other apps but only DJI apps the unit also hang. LOL laugh.gif

About samsung phone battery. I have a friend that repair hp. he told me that's a lot of samsung phone battery will causes the screen to crack if it started to wobble.

This post has been edited by OCMAX: May 26 2017, 03:37 PM
voncrane
post May 26 2017, 03:38 PM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(OCMAX @ May 26 2017, 03:27 PM)
I stop using android phones for years because I don't like the platform but I owned 3 of them. 2 got it free, one I bought for my son.

One of the free unit I used for my DRONE live flight view. laugh.gif

Imagine. I didn't install any other apps but only DJI apps the unit also hang. LOL laugh.gif

About samsung phone battery. I have a friend that repair hp. he told me that's a lot of samsung phone battery will causes the screen to crack if it started to wobble.
What's the device? If they are handing it out for free.. Its either a crappy device in the first place or... You are so honorable (read as wealthy) that they've made or hope to make at least RM4K off you before the year ends and more the year after... In which case, they gave say 2 free Galaxy S8+ units.. My money is on the latter.. brows.gif

I know its the future.. but i'm no fan of having sealed batteries in mobile phones.. We've seen bad batteries swell up and do damage.. At least with a removable back cover, all i have to do is replace the offending battery. I haven't and hope not to experience such. Battery's intact and AMOLED screen remains as gorgeous as ever... *knocks on wood.

This post has been edited by voncrane: May 26 2017, 03:42 PM
TSOCMAX
post May 26 2017, 03:44 PM

Enthusiast
858 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ May 26 2017, 03:38 PM)
What's the device? If they are handing it out for free.. Its either a crappy device in the first place or... You are so honorable (read as wealthy) that they've made or hope to make at least RM4K off you before the year ends... In which case, they gave say 2 free Galaxy S8+ units.. My money is on the latter.. brows.gif
If you have a cooperated account with multiple numbers. they might give you free. Need to check with my niece.

about my free phone. It's HTC lousy model. hahahaaa laugh.gif

I select that phone because is 6" last time. I intended to used it for my DRONE but ended up I cannot used due to the phone hang. my flight view will be lost/gone and I might lost my drone direction. Even the drone has home landing mode is risky.

This post has been edited by OCMAX: May 26 2017, 03:56 PM
TSOCMAX
post May 26 2017, 03:49 PM

Enthusiast
858 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ May 26 2017, 03:38 PM)
I know its the future.. but i'm no fan of having sealed batteries in mobile phones.. We've seen bad batteries swell up and do damage.. At least with a removable back cover, all i have to do is replace the offending battery. I haven't and hope not to experience such. Battery's intact and AMOLED screen remains as gorgeous as ever... *knocks on wood.
He told me because the battery has too much glue stick near the screen and once it wobble it force it's way up and crack the screen. Something like that. smile.gif
voncrane
post May 26 2017, 04:17 PM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(OCMAX @ May 26 2017, 03:44 PM)
If you have a cooperated account with multiple numbers. they might give you free. Need to check with my niece.

about my free phone. It's HTC lousy model. hahahaaa laugh.gif

I select that phone because is 6" last time. I intended to used it for my DRONE but ended up I cannot used due to the phone hang. my flight view will be lost/gone and I might lost my drone direction. Even the drone has home landing mode is risky.
Your drone can lose its direction to my place any day.. tongue.gif

Eh, HTC... laugh.gif .. IMO, the HTC HD2 (2009) was the last real phone that HTC came up with.. It shipped with Windows Mobile V6.5, but due to its (at the time) beasty hardware, It was very moddable and as a result able to handle multiple OSes (Windows phone 7 & 8, Android, Windows XP, even Windows RT..) and to top it off, it can dual-boot OSes rclxub.gif notworthy.gif .. Last year, someone was even able to get Android Nougat working on the HTC HD2... notworthy.gif

QUOTE(OCMAX @ May 26 2017, 03:49 PM)
He told me because the battery has too much glue stick near the screen and once it wobble it force it's way up and crack the screen. Something like that.  smile.gif
Oh I see.. Poor build quality then.. Like the Note 7 fiasco.. A smaller unpopular company would have collapsed. Well, Samsung has another chance to prove themselves as leaders. They better not screw up the Note 8 as I'm eyeing to get one for me HM...

This post has been edited by voncrane: May 26 2017, 04:18 PM
TSOCMAX
post May 26 2017, 05:03 PM

Enthusiast
858 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ May 26 2017, 04:17 PM)
Your drone can lose its direction to my place any day..  tongue.gif

Eh, HTC...  laugh.gif .. IMO, the HTC HD2 (2009) was the last real phone that HTC came up with.. It shipped with Windows Mobile V6.5, but due to its (at the time) beasty hardware, It was very moddable and as a result able to handle multiple OSes (Windows phone 7 & 8, Android, Windows XP, even Windows RT..) and to top it off, it can dual-boot OSes  rclxub.gif  notworthy.gif .. Last year, someone was even able to get Android Nougat working on the HTC HD2...  notworthy.gif
Oh I see.. Poor build quality then.. Like the Note 7 fiasco.. A smaller unpopular company would have collapsed. Well, Samsung has another chance to prove themselves as leaders. They better not screw up the Note 8 as I'm eyeing to get one for me HM...
Didn't check the model but is two years old. now I only used the HTC to test with Kodi since it's running on Android 4.3 OS. The funny is this phone works well with Kodi and a few others movies apps. I disable everything before installing these apps and leave all the space for KODI. It works. Just for the fun. LOL

As for the DRONE it won't go too far (I set to 5km) Once the connection lost between the Drone and remote control it will triggered to home mode and come back to base and land itself. laugh.gif

I heard Note 7 will be release again, Samsung got the model approved again. smile.gif

This post has been edited by OCMAX: May 26 2017, 05:04 PM
graceinc
post Dec 12 2017, 10:52 PM

Getting Started
63 posts

Well, I am also totally against of pirated stuff and no one is allowed to do copyrights infringement. If I do a comparison of Kodi and popcorn time which I mostly used.

Kodi itself is perfectly legal. The only issue is with its add-ons which may or may not be legal depending on certain other factors like user-intention and the add-on’s own application.

Popcorn Time, on the other hand, is mostly on the illegal side. The thing hasn’t been sued yet, but things aren’t really looking bright for it. maybe it might just get a notice sometime in the future.

For the detailed article on comparison between Kodi and Popcorn

Even if you compare the then here you go Popcorn time with world-renowned Netflix

This post has been edited by graceinc: Dec 12 2017, 10:57 PM
voncrane
post Dec 13 2017, 10:40 AM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(graceinc @ Dec 12 2017, 10:52 PM)
Well, I am also totally against of pirated stuff and no one is allowed to do copyrights infringement. If I do a comparison of Kodi and popcorn time which I mostly used.

Kodi itself is perfectly legal. The only issue is with its add-ons which may or may not be legal depending on certain other factors like user-intention and the add-on’s own application.

Popcorn Time, on the other hand, is mostly on the illegal side. The thing hasn’t been sued yet, but things aren’t really looking bright for it. maybe it might just get a notice sometime in the future.

For the detailed article on comparison between Kodi and Popcorn

Even if you compare the then here you go Popcorn time with world-renowned Netflix
user posted image

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0169sec    0.14    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:06 AM