Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

TV Shows American Gods (2017), Neil Gaiman Babe!!!!

views

atong
post Jun 5 2017, 04:57 PM

Getting Started
93 posts

QUOTE(MohdPuskas @ Jun 5 2017, 04:09 PM)
Why ? You gay and turn on by the scene ?
I'm not. Want muntah ady
Hou_JaI
post Jun 5 2017, 06:40 PM

Regular
1,129 posts

after the 4th episodes i still dont get wht the story about ... what the beep i am watching ...
6so
post Jun 6 2017, 05:58 AM

Getting Started
121 posts

The subtlety of episode 6 opening.Remember Wednesday joked about many types of Jesus Christ.The Mexican Jesus appearance just validate that it can be more than one version of the same God as brought alive by people's belief.A point worth considering in the scheme of the larger story being told here.

Vulcan a newly written character that wasn't in the book before.Episode 6 felt a lot like a filler.Think Easter is up for the next episode.
6so
post Jun 12 2017, 01:10 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

Really dug how they chronicle Mad Sweeney arrival to America.The storytelling very effective and gave us a glimpse of the humanity that presided within the characters.A strong episode all in all.I think this episode best encapsulate why Neil Gaiman is the king at crafting adult fairy tales or as some would call it "post modern" fairy tales that made his Sandman run so legendary.
sharpman
post Jun 15 2017, 10:03 AM

Veteran LYN Forumer
1,108 posts

i watched until episode 4 and i think this series is not for me.

I just dont get the story and the storyline doesnt keep me intrigued for more
6so
post Jun 15 2017, 06:24 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

QUOTE(sharpman @ Jun 15 2017, 11:03 AM)

Depending on what you looking at?It's not gonna be that traditional black and white...good vs evil of narrative.While the overarching story is about old vs new...the real meat is in the world building and rich character realization.
To each their own.smile.gif

This post has been edited by 6so: Jun 15 2017, 06:27 PM
+Newbie+
post Jun 15 2017, 10:44 PM

To be needed as The Sand's Kazekage
Group Icon
VIP
3,055 posts

QUOTE(Hou_JaI @ Jun 5 2017, 06:40 PM)
after the 4th episodes i still dont get wht the story about ... what the beep i am watching  ...
QUOTE(sharpman @ Jun 15 2017, 10:03 AM)

Well if it helps, there are many videos on youtube explaining the mythologies that are used in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=american+gods

Basically all the main characters are gods of various types. From Egyptian and Norse mythologies to new gods like god of media, god of technology/internet etc.

Many of the things they say and do are related to their own mythologies. E.g. Ibis and Jackal say and do a lot of things related to their own mythology.

And somehow Neil Gaiman can make all these unrelated things mesh into one big world and using that world to tell a story. Brilliant, really.

This post has been edited by +Newbie+: Jun 15 2017, 10:46 PM
6so
post Jun 15 2017, 11:15 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

Just dawn on me....if WB really wanted to bring Sandman to the silver screen,Bryan Fuller and David Slade are the perfect match to spearhead that project.Think their vfx gonna be bonkers and bring back Dave McKean to provide those iconic design elements.
The opening of American Gods credit indeed has that McKean influences.
JustcallmeLarry
post Jun 16 2017, 08:35 PM

Regular
1,363 posts

This show really not for me. Usually slow build up till episode 4 or 5 then the show start to get intense.

This show already up to episode 7 and still so slow. I won't return for season 2. I just gave this show a go bcs saw so many good reviews....
6so
post Jun 17 2017, 06:54 AM

Getting Started
121 posts

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChekhovsGun
Believe at this point it's safe to give a little context on what is going on.
Wednesday's identity is not the biggest mystery and the real mystery now is why Shadow Moon? Obviously a set-up but to what end? Is he another obscure forgotten God or just a pawn of Wednesday?
How in the world can he survived fisticuffs with Sweeney in the first place or did Sweeney purposely let him knock him senseless for what he did to Laura?
Beside all the crazy things happening there's always one constant theme that keep coming up.The act of sacrifice that imbued in the coming to America tales and Vulcan talking about Wednesday performing some sort of important sacrificial ritual before.
This is not a story that emphasize in the destination portion but greatly take its time in the journey part. A little background on Neil Gaiman, although he made his name writing comic books but rarely did any of those conventional cape and spandex tales.
vivienne85
post Jun 19 2017, 04:39 PM

Casual
360 posts

ah... season finale. finally gt to Ostara and Bilquis in full glory.
vivienne85
post Jun 19 2017, 04:40 PM

Casual
360 posts

=duplicate=

This post has been edited by vivienne85: Jun 19 2017, 04:40 PM
zomby
post Jun 19 2017, 04:41 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

just finish season 1!! best series for someone that adore the history of old gods smile.gif
6so
post Jun 19 2017, 09:07 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

The finale has enough lead in to 2nd season.The strong story arc for me is Bilquis and the unlikely duo of Laura and Sweeney. They lit up the screen each time when they at each other's throat. The set-up of Laura to have a more pivotal role to play pretty sweet. Honestly the actor playing Shadow can be a good looking Kayu at times.

Depending what you want from the story...old Gods vs new Gods clutch kinda secondary for a book reader like myself. It's the deviation from source material and character expansion that really the standout for me personally.

Funny facts from Michael Green during a podcast appearance:
Nicholas Cage was at one point in the running to be Mr.Wednesday.
Ian McShane originally only casted for Czernobog but he wanted to do Mr.Wednesday instead. They retrofit the entire script to his casting.
6so
post Jun 22 2017, 02:45 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

The reason first season only with 8 episodes because they blew the vfx budget.laugh.gif
6so
post Nov 30 2017, 04:04 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

Sad news...season 2 might not be forthcoming. If they replace the showrunners hope somebody worthy....
http://www.vulture.com/2017/11/bryan-fulle...rican-gods.html
TSMov_freak
post Nov 30 2017, 05:31 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(6so @ Nov 30 2017, 04:04 PM)
Sad news...season 2 might not be forthcoming. If they replace the showrunners hope somebody worthy....
http://www.vulture.com/2017/11/bryan-fulle...rican-gods.html
Ouch...

So much potential, so little time (episodes)....

Shame....

maybe we will get a good Amazing Stories out of this...

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0147sec    0.07    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:15 PM