Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

DOG with ITCHY/FLAKY/REDNESS/SMELLY skin problem, Need help or advise

views

eric3417
post May 15 2020, 01:42 AM

Getting Started
74 posts

My cousin’s shi tzu also has this skin issue. Kind of bad. Tried everything & seens so many docs also no use. Only when she reduce her meat intake it helps control abit but still bad.
electron
post May 15 2020, 01:53 AM

Regular
1,328 posts

by the way, food sensitivity/allergy in dogs gets worse with age and exposure, unlike human where the more you are exposed to the allergen, the more you get desensitized.

For dogs, it is the other way around and usually compounded with age.
Food that are bordeline or mildly allergic when they are young could become a major trigger later on.
So what the dog is able to eat when they are young may suddenly become a source of allergy as they age.
And no desensitizing by increased exposure, it doesn't work with dogs.

That's what I learned from the vet when my dog started developing skin irritation. We suspect it to be caused by grain based food as my daughter started to give the doggie treats.
So far, after strictly removing that, touch wood, no issue

Veanne P
post May 23 2020, 03:04 AM

Probation
12 posts

Previously my dog had the same problems in the past. Itchy, dry, flaky, redness and smelly skin. At first the vet recommended Science Plan to me. But it doesn’t help at all.

Then I switch to Iskhan. Her skin slowly gets better and improved a lot. But the problem is she doesn’t like the taste. I never feed her human food. I feed her very little treats. Her training are mostly rewarded by compliments. So, I don’t think she would be picky when she never had a chance to try a variety of food. However, she began to starved herself for weeks after I switch her kibbles. She got skinnier and skinnier. I had no choice but to cook meal for her. Till today, I fed her home cook food with oatmeal, chicken and some vege. She loved it so much. Her skin and coat is healthy now.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0106sec    0.23    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:02 PM