Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> DOG with ITCHY/FLAKY/REDNESS/SMELLY skin problem, Need help or advise

MonkeyMo
post May 23 2017, 08:55 AM, updated 5 months ago

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Hi All Sifus,

My dog , 12-13 years old mixed breed (should be Shi Tzu + Silky Terrier).
6 years ago when I adopted my dog, we found out that she have skin problem.
Which she will very itchy with flaky/redness on the skin especially her legs/paws/neck/butt area.
After visited few vet and changed to Fish based - TASTE OF WILD(No grains,rice) dried food ,
and added fish oil for every meal she have, and shower her with anty itchy flaky shampoo with sulfur, her problem stopped and became healthy and good.

Until last year around October, she started back to her old sickness again. So we brought back her to same vet,
Docs injected her with some anti allergic medicine and gave me some antibiotics for her. Her condition really
ok for the next few weeks, but once the antibiotics finished, shes back to the same problem again.

So i thought it might be the dog food she ate got changed of formula or wat, so we changed others no grains/ fish based dried food. Problem still same. At the end the vet recommended me to eat a dog food special for dog that easily get allergic <<ROYAL CANINE - ANNALERGENIC>> . Condition do improved abit but these few weeks she back to very bad skin again.

I really ran out of ideas how should make my dog happy. I do tried out
-gave her some supplements for healthy dog skin
-apply multiple type of spray that claimed to solve these problems
-apply vinegar as suggested from some forum

But sad things is none of it work. Everyday i saw she scratching/biting herself and feeling itchy,
it really make me sad. If any Sifus here know any good vets or anyway to threat it, please let me know.
I will really really appreciate your help and feedback.

Sorry for the long post.

eternallife
post May 27 2017, 08:51 AM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(MonkeyMo @ May 23 2017, 08:55 AM)
Hi All Sifus,

Which she will very itchy with flaky/redness on the skin especially her legs/paws/neck/butt area.
After visited few vet and changed to Fish based - TASTE OF WILD(No grains,rice) dried food ,
and added fish oil for every meal she have, and shower her with anty itchy flaky shampoo with sulfur, her problem stopped and became healthy and good.
Until last year around October, she started back to her old sickness again. So we brought back her to same vet,
Docs injected her with some anti allergic medicine and gave me some antibiotics for her. Her condition really
ok for the next few weeks, but once the antibiotics finished, shes back to the same problem again.

So i thought it might be the dog food she ate got changed of formula or wat, so we changed others no grains/ fish based dried food. Problem still same. At the end the vet recommended me to eat a dog food special for dog that easily get allergic <<ROYAL CANINE - ANNALERGENIC>> . Condition do improved abit but these few weeks she back to very bad skin again.

But sad things is none of it work. Everyday i saw she scratching/biting herself and feeling itchy,
it really make me sad. If any Sifus here know any good vets or anyway to threat it, please let me know.

Sorry for the long post.
Hi, MonkeyMo.
My beagle had the same problem... Smell, red, itchy skin etc...
Our vet checked the skin and found malasezia, a fungus.
He has been given some tablets to reverse the problem.

Our beagle is better with weekly baths, fish oil and keeping him in a 26-30 degrees Cescius air-conditioned area most of the time.

You're in Puchong. Why not try visiting my vet one time to get diagnosed?... Mayo Clinic, Taipan USJ
MonkeyMo
post May 27 2017, 04:22 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(eternallife @ May 27 2017, 08:51 AM)
Hi, MonkeyMo.
My beagle had the same problem... Smell, red, itchy skin etc...
Our vet checked the skin and found malasezia, a fungus.
He has been given some tablets to reverse the problem.

Our beagle is better with weekly baths, fish oil and keeping him in a 26-30 degrees Cescius air-conditioned area most of the time.

You're in Puchong. Why not try visiting my vet one time to get diagnosed?... Mayo Clinic, Taipan USJ
Hello Eternal Life,

Thank you so much for your suggestion, I will make a visit to Mayo Clinic asap!
Hope it really will help my dog smile.gif

THANKS AGAIN!

This post has been edited by MonkeyMo: May 27 2017, 04:23 PM
eternallife
post May 28 2017, 04:50 PM

QUOTE(MonkeyMo @ May 27 2017, 04:22 PM)
Hello Eternal Life,

Thank you so much for your suggestion, I will make a visit to Mayo Clinic asap!
Hope it really will help my dog smile.gif

THANKS AGAIN!
No problem... Hope your dog is healed really soon... thumbup.gif
lily64my
post Jul 2 2017, 10:13 PM

Getting Started

I using apple cider vinegar diluted with water spray to the skin. It works. You may try with green tea too.
MonkeyMo
post Jul 3 2017, 08:30 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(lily64my @ Jul 2 2017, 10:13 PM)
I using apple cider vinegar diluted with water spray to the skin. It works. You may try with green tea too.
thanks for sharing! Do you mind share with me how many portion of water with apple cider vinegar?
eternallife
post Jul 4 2017, 03:17 AM

QUOTE(lily64my @ Jul 2 2017, 10:13 PM)
Hi, Lily.
I would like to try that too. I give my dog diluted apple cider vinegar to drink on and off. Mayeb I should do kt more regularly. I have read that dogs and cats that have apple cider mixed into their water repel ticks and fleas.
Just wondering, isn't green tea dangerous for dogs? How much should I use?
kiss01
post Jul 5 2017, 03:18 PM

did the vet do a fungal culture test? could be ringworm?

the medicine for ringworm may affect her kidney/liver, so the vet will need to check your dog's condition first since she is quite senior in age already..

some dogs have chronic skin issues which comes back once they are off medication.. i found using medicated shampoo prescribed by the vet helps a lot...
charlene83
post Jul 7 2017, 09:07 AM

Hi. my dog has the same problem (itchy, smelly, flaky skin) for the longest time. We started giving her fish oil (coatex) in April, and now she is a happy dog! No more scratching and licking, you can see the difference around a month after taking the supplement. Give it a try... biggrin.gif
MonkeyMo
post Jul 7 2017, 02:41 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(kiss01 @ Jul 5 2017, 03:18 PM)
did the vet do a fungal culture test? could be ringworm?

the medicine for ringworm may affect her kidney/liver, so the vet will need to check your dog's condition first since she is quite senior in age already..

some dogs have chronic skin issues which comes back once they are off medication.. i found using medicated shampoo prescribed by the vet helps a lot...
Hello... i went to the vet as recommended by Eternalife (thanks to her again smile.gif ) , the vet got inspect and check the dandruff from skin of my dog, and doctor told me that is yeast infection (Malasezia, spell something like that) . Now my dog condition improved alot after some medicine , i wil continue monitor her status, hope she is fine )

I'm using medicated shampoo as well, MALASEB, r u using the same brand too?
MonkeyMo
post Jul 7 2017, 02:42 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(charlene83 @ Jul 7 2017, 09:07 AM)
Hi. my dog has the same problem (itchy, smelly, flaky skin) for the longest time. We started giving her fish oil (coatex) in April, and now she is a happy dog! No more scratching and licking, you can see the difference around a month after taking the supplement. Give it a try... biggrin.gif

hello... thanks for sharing biggrin.gif
Im giving my dog fish oil too, but a different brand (Fish4Dog), will give it a try from the brand u recommended.
kiss01
post Jul 7 2017, 02:59 PM

No, I'm using veta zole.. it's mild enough that I don't need to wear gloves whenever i bathe my dog.. but i can't find it at any petshop so far... this shampoo only available at vet.
lily64my
post Jul 9 2017, 12:12 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(eternallife @ Jul 4 2017, 03:17 AM)
Hi, Lily.
I would like to try that too. I give my dog diluted apple cider vinegar to drink on and off. Mayeb I should do kt more regularly. I have read that dogs and cats that have apple cider mixed into their water repel ticks and fleas.
Just wondering, isn't green tea dangerous for dogs? How much should I use?
Dont think natural products are dangerous. Its not for drinking...its to soothe the skin if use together with apple cider. just few tablespoon will do in one litre bottle of water.

lily64my
post Jul 9 2017, 12:14 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(MonkeyMo @ Jul 7 2017, 02:42 PM)
hello... thanks for sharing  biggrin.gif
Im giving my dog fish oil too, but a different brand (Fish4Dog), will give it a try from the brand u recommended.
I gave mine fish oil too...lowest strength. i buy the for human consumptions and they are ok with it. Dont waste time buying for dog fish oil.

lily64my
post Jul 9 2017, 12:17 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(MonkeyMo @ Jul 7 2017, 02:41 PM)
Hello... i went to the vet as recommended by Eternalife (thanks to her again  smile.gif  ) ,  the vet got inspect and check the dandruff from skin of my dog, and doctor told me that is yeast infection (Malasezia, spell something like that)  . Now my dog condition improved alot after some medicine , i wil continue monitor her status, hope she is fine )

I'm using medicated shampoo as well, MALASEB, r u using the same brand too?
https://www.petinsuranceu.com/dogs-and-apple-cider-vinegar/

my dogs now are free from ticks and mites (fur grown on the bald patch). I had one time strong bath and spot on from vet and now just apple cider spray.
lily64my
post Jul 9 2017, 12:22 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(MonkeyMo @ May 23 2017, 08:55 AM)
Hi All Sifus,

Sorry for the long post.
Sorry to hear. But one thing i dont give my dogs are those can meat/food. I will buy chicken carcas or chopped bones for soup, chicken livers or what ever to give them. i do give them biscuit for nibbles.

Maybe different breed got different requirements.
kiss01
post Jul 10 2017, 02:37 PM

QUOTE(lily64my @ Jul 9 2017, 12:22 PM)
Sorry to hear. But one thing i dont give my dogs are those can meat/food. I will buy chicken carcas or chopped bones for soup, chicken livers or what ever to give them. i do give them biscuit for nibbles.

Maybe different breed got different requirements.
oh same here.

my dog alternates between steamed chicken breast meat, boiled pork+liver, and pan fried beef.
i dont use oil or seasoning to cook, just water for boiling/steaming or the meat natural fats & juices to fry.

i usually cook bigger portions and refrigerate them. everyday come home from work, just heat up with microwave.
its a bit more work and more expensive than feeding kibbles or canned food, but u save on vet fees thumbsup.gif

i also tried feeding her fruits and vege, but so far not successful.
i tried chopping carrots and broccoli into small pieces and mix in with the meat but she puke.gif them out and makes a mess of the floor... dry.gif

MonkeyMo
post Jul 13 2017, 11:03 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(kiss01 @ Jul 10 2017, 02:37 PM)
oh same here.

my dog alternates between steamed chicken breast meat, boiled pork+liver, and pan fried beef.
i dont use oil or seasoning to cook, just water for boiling/steaming or the meat natural fats & juices to fry.

i usually cook bigger portions and refrigerate them. everyday come home from work, just heat up with microwave.
its a bit more work and more expensive than feeding kibbles or canned food, but u save on vet fees  thumbsup.gif

i also tried feeding her fruits and vege, but so far not successful.
i tried chopping carrots and broccoli into small pieces and mix in with the meat but she  puke.gif  them out and makes a mess of the floor...  dry.gif
haha, same as my dog, she hate vege and fruit too!
eternallife
post Jul 17 2017, 11:53 PM

You guys can trick them into eating the fruit and vege. Firstly, there are rules on which fruits/vege are safe or aren't...

For preparation, boil the vege in water with the chicken breast. Potatoes must not be fully cooked through, but only half cooked. This will help to clean their teeth. Other veggies can be steamed or boiled. They must be served with the soup. Dogs will eat the vege because of the chicken taste.
Especially good veggies are potatoes, carrots, broccoli, asparagus. Potatoes and carrots with the skin are fine.

To be dog safe:
Fruits in general must be peeled and deseeded. Most skin and seeds are poisonous to dogs due to naturally occurring cyanide. All citrus fruits, apples and others. No giving avocado. Every part of the avocado tree, fruit, seed, skin, bark, leaves and roots are poisonous. Onion is poisonous. Garlic is poisonous unless fully cooked till soft. Grapes are totally poisonous. Tomatoes are totally poisonous, including the plant and leaves.
Raspberries, strawberries and blueberries are very good in moderation. Up to 5 berries per day is fine. You can google a few vets pages and compare. Different people say different things, but the basic poisonous ones are the same.

This post has been edited by eternallife: Jul 19 2017, 12:27 AM

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0771sec    1.15    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 05:25 AM