Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Moving HD from laptop to another

views

TSKentKennyK
post May 22 2017, 02:18 AM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
80 posts

Hey guys, I've been using my Lenovo G470 for years, and currently the laptop hinge is broke. It's almost un-repairable as it has broken some part of the system that supports the hinge. Other than that, software wise and everything, it's working very much fine.

As a cheaper alternative to purchasing a new laptop, I'm thinking to purchase another similar second-hand model to move the HD to the other laptop.

Is there going to be any problem? Say, even I were to get a Lenovo G480 or other Lenovo series, do you think some of the system might malfunction if I do so?
acbc
post May 22 2017, 02:39 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,474 posts

Windows might not boot. U have to do a repair first.
TSKentKennyK
post May 22 2017, 10:07 AM

Getting Started
80 posts

QUOTE(acbc @ May 22 2017, 02:39 AM)
Windows might not boot. U have to do a repair first.
A repair on my OS? It's working fine tho.

I did something similar on my previous laptop, from a window XP HD to a laptop running with vista (I took the vista out), it seemed to have no issue, in terms of compatibility and performance.

I'm trying to get a similar model with the similar spec, but worse comes to worst, I might need to settle for something similar (same series, different model of Lenovo).
netmatrix
post May 22 2017, 04:10 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

QUOTE(KentKennyK @ May 22 2017, 10:07 AM)
A repair on my OS? It's working fine tho.

I did something similar on my previous laptop, from a window XP HD to a laptop running with vista (I took the vista out), it seemed to have no issue, in terms of compatibility and performance.

I'm trying to get a similar model with the similar spec, but worse comes to worst, I might need to settle for something similar (same series, different model of Lenovo).
Even if you have the exact same model laptop, windows may or may not boot. The problem comes from windows product key that is tied with UEFI BIOS to the old laptop motherboard. Most laptops sold 5 years ago comes with UEFI BIOS stored windows product key. (Thats why no windows product key serial sticker anymore). So if you change motherboard, the windows product key is not transferred.

What you could do is, download and run Nirsoft Product key to get the windows product key in your old motherboard. Then the tricky part is to remove the product key in the UEFI BIOS in the new laptop. Even if you did, Windows might still not run if it cannot find the correct product key.

The best way is backup your data and reinstall windows. Else if you bought second hand laptop, just use an external hdd case to read your data.

It is not straight forward as what it was 7 years ago. rclxub.gif
TSKentKennyK
post May 23 2017, 07:57 PM

Getting Started
80 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ May 22 2017, 04:10 PM)

The best way is backup your data and reinstall windows. Else if you bought second hand laptop, just use an external hdd case to read your data.

It is not straight forward as what it was 7 years ago. rclxub.gif
This said, even the second hand laptop will not be reflecting my old laptop?
netmatrix
post May 23 2017, 08:00 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

QUOTE(KentKennyK @ May 23 2017, 07:57 PM)
This said, even the second hand laptop will not be reflecting my old laptop?
You can have 100% same hardware specs in processor, ram, hdd, graphics, screen even the model. But windows will probably not work. The concern is whether Windows allows the new product key in the motherboard to be installed in the old hdd. My guess is not. To curb piracy, blah blah blah.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0127sec    0.49    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:59 PM