Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Car Battery, Brand recommendation and review

views

herojack41
post May 19 2017, 10:36 AM

Master Of Trouble Maker
5,697 posts

QUOTE(lsm1991 @ May 19 2017, 10:20 AM)
yup, exactly the same.... the mf batteries are the same thing actually, just that they are sealed. Some you might notice, alot of them do have caps and look like the other typical batteries, straight forward. Those which dont seem to have caps do actually have them, they are hidden under the plastic cover above. To access the 'caps' break out the trusty screwdriver, and pry it open (pandai pandailah, dont ter-pry the entire lid open, bad bad idea)

**cukur can cari a video of the difficult ones.. thats as difficult as it gets, others with a completely flat top, iirc, those are just clip on covers.
all the while i tot those MF batteries are using different kinds of fluid laugh.gif so i do not dare to add distilled water into it

mine were not sealed as shown in the video, can see the caps and need to use flat head screw driver only. some of it is blocked by just sticker laugh.gif .

then i shall open it up and add in water then

thanks
lsm1991
post May 19 2017, 10:55 AM

Getting Started
297 posts

QUOTE(herojack41 @ May 19 2017, 10:36 AM)
all the while i tot those MF batteries are using different kinds of fluid laugh.gif so i do not dare to add distilled water into it

mine were not sealed as shown in the video, can see the caps and need to use flat head screw driver only. some of it is blocked by just sticker  laugh.gif .

then i shall open it up and add in water then

thanks
perfect! those senang. i should note tho, i personally wouldn't open it up during the warranty period, after however, anything is fair game.
herojack41
post May 19 2017, 11:32 AM

Master Of Trouble Maker
5,697 posts

QUOTE(lsm1991 @ May 19 2017, 10:55 AM)
perfect! those senang. i should note tho, i personally wouldn't open it up during the warranty period, after however, anything is fair game.
this battery changed during outstation trip where i got stuck on

epic is...warranty card got but without any address that i can refer to.

wkc5657
post May 19 2017, 01:33 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(herojack41 @ May 19 2017, 11:32 AM)
this battery changed during outstation trip where i got stuck on

epic is...warranty card got but without any address that i can refer to.
cannot use home address?
herojack41
post May 19 2017, 01:34 PM

Master Of Trouble Maker
5,697 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ May 19 2017, 01:33 PM)
cannot use home address?
lul? wut?

the warranty allow me to fill in my personal particulars and there is NO COMPANY address i can sent the card in

wkc5657
post May 19 2017, 02:05 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(herojack41 @ May 19 2017, 01:34 PM)

the warranty allow me to fill in my personal particulars and there is NO COMPANY address i can sent the card in
Oh i see...

Maybe the company allows claim from any authorised reseller.
herojack41
post May 19 2017, 02:15 PM

Master Of Trouble Maker
5,697 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ May 19 2017, 02:05 PM)
Oh i see...

Maybe the company allows claim from any authorised reseller.
is some unknown brand and not sure where got authorised reseller

plus that time were stranded and no choice
zeng
post May 19 2017, 02:29 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

Thanks mate. Another project for my wira.
shirohamada
post May 19 2017, 09:22 PM

Enthusiast
944 posts

QUOTE(spreeeee @ May 17 2017, 11:38 AM)
Car Battery- Brand recommendation and review please.
they're the same lead acid battery.
nothing special about it.
cubans has been ghetto recycling the batteries themselves.

just get the cheapest stuff like century.
or if you want something special a smaller battery for maximum weight reduction.

This post has been edited by shirohamada: May 19 2017, 09:25 PM
TSspreeeee
post May 22 2017, 09:31 AM

♠ . ♥ . ♣ . ♦
3,755 posts

what to do the car/battery if u gonna away for 3 weeks?
lsm1991
post May 22 2017, 09:40 AM

Getting Started
297 posts

QUOTE(spreeeee @ May 22 2017, 09:31 AM)
what to do the car/battery if u gonna away for 3 weeks?
food for thought
-if u cabut, (which is technically best for the battery) your alarm system is als disabled, and you lose whatever non-volatile memory your car has in store
-if you leave it as is, well a good condition battery will drain slowly i guess...

so, end of the day, pick your poison.... I would rather replace a battery earlier than needed than lose my car or end up with stolen bits and repairs, but that's just me whistling.gif (not saying alarms are foolproof, but they certainly are helpful in being a deterrent)

p.s. iirc, lead acid batteries like to be fully charged unlike lithium batteries.
Beach_Boy
post May 22 2017, 10:05 AM

:D
8,453 posts

i've used:
yokohama MF
bosch S3+ (this one technically is the same as varta but at 60% of the price)
trane silver calcium battery (the most expensive of the bunch @ RM460)

all upsized (din52 - din66), all last ~15-18 months laugh.gif
now running on GS Yuasa DIN80, and i bit the bullet and got meself a CTEK MXS5, it'll be used to charge 4 vehicles so it'll repay itself in no time

i was advised to charge up every month (alot of short trips, and a massive 1KW amp was installed in my car)

speedy3210
post May 22 2017, 03:09 PM

Casual
451 posts

observe during the charging process.... how long does take for the bulk charging stage

different charger may have different term for this but basically this stage charges until about 80% of battery capacity

if this stage takes a long time to proceed to absorption stage, your battery has been drained quite significantly, and you need to charge more often, say, once a week

This post has been edited by speedy3210: May 22 2017, 03:11 PM
wkc5657
post May 22 2017, 03:53 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(Beach_Boy @ May 22 2017, 10:05 AM)

now running on GS Yuasa DIN80, and i bit the bullet and got meself a CTEK MXS5, it'll be used to charge 4 vehicles so it'll repay itself in no time

i was advised to charge up every month (alot of short trips, and a massive 1KW amp was installed in my car)
Aiyo...already got charger, then why still upsize so much, unnecessary weight penalty only... But i think you need proper AGM battery like Odyssey or Optima batteries that can handle more charge and discharge cycles. Those normal or slightly premium range of MF batteries can't handle that much cycles. Proper AGM batteries can last the lifetime of your car if maintained properly.

For normal driving, charge once every 3 months also quite sufficient already. But i also hook up the charger on the first weekend of a new month to reduce the hassle of remembering the timing.

QUOTE(speedy3210 @ May 22 2017, 03:09 PM)
observe during the charging process.... how long does take for the bulk charging stage

different charger may have different term for this but basically this stage charges until about 80% of battery capacity

if this stage takes a long time to proceed to absorption stage, your battery has been drained quite significantly, and you need to charge more often, say, once a week
The charger itself will also need to monitor ambient temperature and internal resistance in your battery to avoid an electrical fire, so the timing will vary. The final stage is actually called trickle charge, that means the charger will reduce the output to top up the final 10%, or to maintain the battery (usually during prolonged storage or winter as cold temperature causes faster self discharge) Just like normal handphones, the final stage takes longer time. After bulk charging is done, good enough to unplug already.

If there are no electrical leaks or unknown phantom loads, if battery can't last for 3 months on normal driving without charging, the problem is at the battery, either it is a crap unit, on the verge of dying or the capacity is too low for the load required by the car.
kabuto12
post May 22 2017, 04:06 PM

Getting Started
217 posts

tumpang thread...

how to know that the car alternator is charging the battery or not? any method other than using voltmeter.
wkc5657
post May 22 2017, 04:26 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(kabuto12 @ May 22 2017, 04:06 PM)
tumpang thread...
how to know that the car alternator is charging the battery or not? any method other than using voltmeter.
I believe there is no other reliable way other than to have direct contact to test....

Maybe some other sifus can enlighten us.

This post has been edited by wkc5657: May 22 2017, 04:27 PM
TSspreeeee
post May 22 2017, 04:32 PM

♠ . ♥ . ♣ . ♦
3,755 posts

QUOTE(lsm1991 @ May 22 2017, 09:40 AM)
food for thought
-if u cabut, (which is technically best for the battery) your alarm system is als disabled, and you lose whatever non-volatile memory your car has in store
-if you leave it as is, well a good condition battery will drain slowly i guess...

so, end of the day, pick your poison.... I would rather replace a battery earlier than needed than lose my car or end up with stolen bits and repairs, but that's just me  whistling.gif (not saying alarms are foolproof, but they certainly are helpful in being  a deterrent)

p.s. iirc, lead acid batteries like to be fully charged unlike lithium batteries.
when away for long period, of course car would be parked in an enclosed garage with gate secured/locked.. i don't mind disabling the car alarm.. looks like this would be a good 'poison'. plus, it is not an expensive car.. a very old moving vehicle. concern only on car not able to startup when back.

This post has been edited by spreeeee: May 22 2017, 04:33 PM
lsm1991
post May 22 2017, 04:35 PM

Getting Started
297 posts

QUOTE(spreeeee @ May 22 2017, 04:32 PM)
when away for long period, of course car would be parked in an enclosed garage with gate secured/locked.. i don't mind disabling the car alarm.. looks like this would be a good 'poison'. plus, it is not an expensive car.. a very old moving vehicle. concern only on car not able to startup when back.
then yeah, remove one terminal (just pluck the -ve side) then make sure nmothing ic able to touch it (if you can cover the terminal with some sort of cover
Beach_Boy
post May 23 2017, 03:03 AM

:D
8,453 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ May 22 2017, 03:53 PM)
Aiyo...already got charger, then why still upsize so much, unnecessary weight penalty only... But i think you need proper AGM battery like Odyssey or Optima batteries that can handle more charge and discharge cycles. Those normal or slightly premium range of MF batteries can't handle that much cycles. Proper AGM batteries can last the lifetime of your car if maintained properly.

For normal driving, charge once every 3 months also quite sufficient already. But i also hook up the charger on the first weekend of a new month to reduce the hassle of remembering the timing.
The charger itself will also need to monitor ambient temperature and internal resistance in your battery to avoid an electrical fire, so the timing will vary. The final stage is actually called trickle charge, that means the charger will reduce the output to top up the final 10%, or to maintain the battery (usually during prolonged storage or winter as cold temperature causes faster self discharge) Just like normal handphones, the final stage takes longer time. After bulk charging is done, good enough to unplug already.

If there are no electrical leaks or unknown phantom loads, if battery can't last for 3 months on normal driving without charging, the problem is at the battery, either it is a crap unit, on the verge of dying or the capacity is too low for the load required by the car.
i like to boom boom pow brows.gif

anyways, it's a 80AMP battery in DIN66L, a so called DD80 wet cell, so no real difference in weight (besides, DIN55L is like 2Kgs less than DIN66L)

i usually hook it up on the 15th every month just to avoid the hassle, contis are more sensitive towards CCA, if the battery's weak, it'll crank slower for a month or two, then it'll stop working altogether, no real signs showing that the cell's weak
allenultra
post May 26 2017, 11:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
9,026 posts

QUOTE(Beach_Boy @ May 22 2017, 10:05 AM)
i've used:
yokohama MF
bosch S3+ (this one technically is the same as varta but at 60% of the price)
trane silver calcium battery (the most expensive of the bunch @ RM460)

Bosch S3+ as I know, not same factory as Varta.
Bosch SM Mega Power now, currently made in South Korea.

Varta too but its from another factory. Same factory as Energizer and Delkor. I found that Varta the most affordable among the three brands that own by Johnson Controls. Also also cheaper than Hankook/Atlas BX/Koba which made in another Korea battery factory.

I tried charging battery that installed in a vehicle where the alternator is in great condition, it took just few minutes to fully charge the battery. I do not see much "charging" required in it, especially if the car being driven often. Its good for those who always park the car, and hardly drive them.

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0227sec    0.19    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:39 AM