Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Apple to 'axe' iPad Mini?, O my god!

views

kevyeoh
post Nov 6 2017, 08:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,526 posts

To me ipad is the perfect tablet .... I just love the size... not as small as phablet but not as big as the original iPad 9.7" size... makes it easy to carry around and also no problem for reading/web browsing .... even for gaming if you use in landscape mode it still feels ok... normal iPad will feel kinda big...

I have iPad mini 2 now... definitely buying iPad mini 4 soon but if really rumour is true.. May consider buy 2 units of iPad mini 4... smile.gif
acbc
post Nov 6 2017, 08:57 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,475 posts

Better kill all iPads except Pro. Sales aren't that good anymore.
Mavik
post Nov 8 2017, 10:06 AM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

I was really hoping that the Mini version would still be updated. I know a lot of my friends especially ladies who love using the iPad Mini. Fingers crossed that perhaps they might have a new 7.9" version or at least update it with the latest processors.
TSwestlife
post Nov 8 2017, 11:53 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,296 posts

QUOTE(Mavik @ Nov 8 2017, 10:06 AM)
I was really hoping that the Mini version would still be updated. I know a lot of my friends especially ladies who love using the iPad Mini. Fingers crossed that perhaps they might have a new 7.9" version or at least update it with the latest processors.
i think likely they will. same goes to mac mini which they still haven't removed from the product line too.
Mavik
post Nov 9 2017, 09:52 AM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(westlife @ Nov 8 2017, 11:53 AM)
i think likely they will. same goes to mac mini which they still haven't removed from the product line too.
Yeah, I will be waiting for both those to be updated. My wife's Mini 2 could use an upgrade and my current 2012 Mac Mini also will need an upgrade for more 4K content as my home server.
avrilmae
post Nov 9 2017, 10:16 AM

Regular
1,039 posts

My Mini 2 could use an upgrade too. C'mon Apple!
tarm
post Nov 9 2017, 10:17 AM

Enthusiast
804 posts

earliest possible upgrade will be on March 2018.

For me Mini 1/2/3 to Mini 4 already huge update. If can't wait for next year it still ok to upgrade to Mini 4 for now.
TSwestlife
post Nov 12 2017, 01:04 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,296 posts

QUOTE(tarm @ Nov 9 2017, 10:17 AM)
earliest possible upgrade will be on March 2018.

For me Mini 1/2/3 to Mini 4 already huge update. If can't wait for next year it still ok to upgrade to Mini 4 for now.
not really that huge difference from 2 or 3 to 4. Screen wise mini 4 is better but it is not something that noticeable from day to day usage.

performance wise, A8 chip is only one gen better than A7 but it is not going to make a big difference now since the chip has been 3 years old from now.

unless apple is really not going to keep iPad mini this product line which it may be worthwhile to buy and keep the mini 4 for collection now.

If Apple is really not going to refresh the mini. Then I may consider the next gen or next few gen of iPad Pro 10.5 if it is going to be lighter or with thinner bezel. Provided my mini has retired though. As of now, it still serves me rather well. I think to use it for another few more years will not be an issue.
tarm
post Nov 12 2017, 11:44 PM

Enthusiast
804 posts

QUOTE(westlife @ Nov 12 2017, 01:04 PM)
not really that huge difference from 2 or 3 to 4. Screen wise mini 4 is better but it is not something that noticeable from day to day usage.

performance wise, A8 chip is only one gen better than A7 but it is not going to make a big difference now since the chip has been 3 years old from now.

unless apple is really not going to keep iPad mini this product line which it may be worthwhile to buy and keep the mini 4 for collection now.

If Apple is really not going to refresh the mini. Then I may consider the next gen or next few gen of iPad Pro 10.5 if it is going to be lighter or with thinner bezel. Provided my mini has retired though. As of now, it still serves me rather well. I think to use it for another few more years will not be an issue.
Its not only processor difference, amount of RAM also played crucial role on the performance difference, hence more multitasking option are enabled on iPad mini 4 compared to earlier generations. As I bought every iteration of ipad mini, the difference is noticeable.

However you are right, it's using an already outdated processor. Judging on pattern on how Apple launched its products, the earliest launching of mini (if there is any, watch any rumour-going website for clarification) will be first quarter of 2018, nothing earlier. So my advice is you may wait till then if it is not urgent for your needs. Or if you really need it now, no harm getting ipad mini 4 now, it will serve you well unless you really needs fast GPU for gaming and heavy 3D apps. On normal usage (browsing, reading ebook) it should be more than sufficient.

Some people may advice to skip mini and go straight for iPad Pro 10.5 due to its performance. I did that and back to mini 4 for second time. Why? Size do matter, in my case I prefer smaller mini, easier on my hand.

There is a rumour of iPad with smaller bezel and notch on top like iPhone X for Face ID tech. If they can shrink it to size of mini, then I'm all in. However it wont happen earlier than Feb/March 2018, so there still few more months to enjoy mini4 rather than to be tabless, again its all based on your current needs, can wait or not.
sai86
post Nov 20 2017, 06:22 PM

StilL LearninG
4,928 posts

retain mini and kill ipad air/ipad.
since got Pro version to make it as mainstream.

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0115sec    0.23    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:29 PM