Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

PTPTN and Transferring to another Uni in Year 2, From UCSI (Fin. Year 1) to MMU in 2018

views

TSiSean
post May 15 2017, 10:30 PM, updated 7y ago

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

Currently I'm in major doubt in my bad decisions of picking "UCSI" as I enrolled into this Electrical and Electronics program this year a few weeks back, and where my parents paid RM 9.3k for the fees, and "locked down" for half the year in this university.
And if I withdrawn myself from the program now, I will only be refunded for ~5K, by the looks of it based on their online policy.

Because apparently I find some of the things here is quite "unpleasing" about the current lecturers I'm currently with, and community of students that I am with.
As apparently E&E isn't their "popular" program with 11 students studying in Year 1, where Chemical Engineering it is the most abundant capping at 30-40.

Seemingly, it looks like there are quite a few lecturers who can't even speak "proper fluent English" conducting the lessons, especially ones from overseas, who is currently teaching me one of the MPU subject, and will be teaching me "Mathematical Methods for Engineers I" next semester... And some of the lecturers who are teaching Calculus, doesn't really "teach" at all, by just pressing next on slides and showing answer on it. sweat.gif

This makes me very skeptical with whole their E&E Programs and their lecturer's professionalism here in UCSI, hence I planned to change back to MMU the next year if possible, and retake some of their Year 1 subjects to compensate of syllabus differences, if required, but I'm not sure am I able to do so, and also will it affect my PTPTN if I apply it now?

As I have a bad "insecure" feeling if I continue onward here in UCSI. The sole reason I chosen UCSI, is mainly because of "convenience" to get back home, and my parents are able to fetch me there and back.
And they urge me not to stay in Accommodation where it will burden them for my living expenses there.

But they are now also skeptical about my progress in UCSI.

Please leave your opinions.

Currently all my lectures are mixed with other Engineering Departments from either Mechatronics, Mechanical, or Chemical and so on.

user posted image

Does anyone know the regarding PTPTN, if I plan to change uni to MMU, how should I handle my PTPTN?

This post has been edited by iSean: May 20 2017, 11:25 PM
uspizza
post May 15 2017, 10:36 PM

Getting Started
113 posts

Hey bro...try enter UNITEN..heard tat electrical engineering is good at there...they are having intake now..do check their website

This post has been edited by vikneswaran25: May 15 2017, 10:36 PM
TSiSean
post May 15 2017, 10:51 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(vikneswaran25 @ May 15 2017, 10:36 PM)
Hey bro...try enter UNITEN..heard tat electrical engineering is good at there...they are having intake now..do check their website
Not certain about that, I have some friends from SPM Art Stream (same SPM batch as me) from their Diploma E&E program telling me, avoid joining at all costs, due to bad lecturers and facilities again, meanwhile some mixed reactions with the seniors' experience (born in 1993-1996) batch, from my sister's friends.

Also, their E&E Program is either "Communications" or "Electrical Power", and I don't really expect to major in these two as my choices studying there.
So... yeah... If I go to MMU, it will be most likely pure "Electronics" or "Electronics Majoring in Computing"...

Really I'm in a troubled state right now for making a bad 1 year - 4 year life decision.

This post has been edited by iSean: May 16 2017, 12:11 AM
kejun
post May 16 2017, 07:18 AM

Getting Started
93 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ May 15 2017, 10:51 PM)
Not certain about that, I have some friends from SPM Art Stream (same SPM batch as me) from their Diploma E&E program telling me, avoid joining at all costs, due to bad lecturers and facilities again, meanwhile some mixed reactions with the seniors' experience (born in 1993-1996) batch, from my sister's friends.

Also, their E&E Program is either "Communications" or "Electrical Power", and I don't really expect to major in these two as my choices studying there.
So... yeah... If I go to MMU, it will be most likely pure "Electronics" or "Electronics Majoring in Computing"...

Really I'm in a troubled state right now for making a bad 1 year - 4 year life decision.
I think you should finish your diploma first, then try to apply other university.

In my opinion, Nottingham or Southampton could be considered, they quite famous with their engineering course, especially Southampton is famous with E&E.

Those I mention are the branches in Malaysia, Nottingham is at Selangor while Southampton is at Johor. However their tuition fees are very expensive.

This post has been edited by kejun: May 16 2017, 07:19 AM
Carl0803
post May 16 2017, 08:56 AM

Getting Started
62 posts

yes, nottingham should definitely be considered. apart from tuition fees, the entry requirements are quite strict tho. I am E&E graduate from UNMC. you can pm me if you have questions regarding the uni. smile.gif
Carl0803
post May 16 2017, 08:58 AM

Getting Started
62 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ May 15 2017, 10:51 PM)

you should ask your UCSI E&E senior about the modules and lecturers. maybe there are better quality lecturers
xxjustin
post May 16 2017, 10:22 AM

41 posts

Lol seem like ucsi really sucks . Luckily didn't enroll their program.
TSiSean
post May 16 2017, 07:11 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(kejun @ May 16 2017, 07:18 AM)
I think you should finish your diploma first, then try to apply other university.

In my opinion, Nottingham or Southampton could be considered, they quite famous with their engineering course, especially Southampton is famous with E&E.

Those I mention are the branches in Malaysia, Nottingham is at Selangor while Southampton is at Johor. However their tuition fees are very expensive.
I'm from A-Level background, (STPM equivalent) not diploma in E&E....

TSiSean
post May 16 2017, 07:12 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(xxjustin @ May 16 2017, 10:22 AM)
Lol seem like ucsi really sucks . Luckily didn't enroll their program.
Chemical Engineering is more popular. Others is meh meh, Arts subs also quite popular
TSiSean
post May 16 2017, 07:13 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(Carl0803 @ May 16 2017, 08:56 AM)
yes, nottingham should definitely be considered. apart from tuition fees, the entry requirements are quite strict tho. I am E&E graduate from UNMC. you can pm me if you have questions regarding the uni. smile.gif
I have failed their entry requirements for A-Levels. Unlesss I repeat my A-Level sad.gif
Sadly.
TSiSean
post May 20 2017, 11:23 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

BUMP
scgoh123
post May 21 2017, 01:25 PM

【鬼の隠し拳:天地ガエシ】
846 posts

iSean, what I said below may be harsh here:

In your previous threads you lamented how you suffered studying A-levels in MCKL, blaming the lecturers and the study environment, assuming they are the sole causes of you not doing well in your pre-U life. Then you chose to study E&E in UCSI, and again, blaming the environment and non-competent lecturers, like they are the ones making you suffer in your uni life. You always want for a change in study environment if nothing pleases you.

Putting these factors aside, ask yourself: Do you reflect on yourself before placing blame on the others?

Pre-U and uni life are different from schools. Teachers spoon-fed you all the way so that you can get a decent results in school. But lecturers (especially in uni) will be expecting you to be independent, self-studying while exploring content beyond the typical lecture notes. It depends on yourself, your attitude and your determination whether you want to succeed or not.

There's no doubt that certain uni environment really sucks. But how you deal with it is up to yourself. You can choose to lament it, or make a change in yourself by finding other ways to survive (Like spending more time in library, spending less time dealing with friends you don't like etc). These are your lifelong experiences and skills you pick up along your life journey.

I doubt that even if you change to other schools, like MMU, Southampton, UNMC etc, you will be doing better. As long as your mindset of 'everything else must please me before I can perform well' remains, it's likely that nothing will change.

If you still insist for a change in uni, go ahead, but make sure you change your attitude after that.

All the best!
Kcdw96
post May 21 2017, 02:09 PM

Enthusiast
708 posts

QUOTE(scgoh123 @ May 21 2017, 01:25 PM)

In your previous threads you lamented how you suffered studying A-levels in MCKL, blaming the lecturers and the study environment, assuming they are the sole causes of you not doing well in your pre-U life. Then you chose to study E&E in UCSI, and again, blaming the environment and non-competent lecturers, like they are the ones making you suffer in your uni life. You always want for a change in study environment if nothing pleases you.

Putting these factors aside, ask yourself: Do you reflect on yourself before placing blame on the others?

Pre-U and uni life are different from schools. Teachers spoon-fed you all the way so that you can get a decent results in school. But lecturers (especially in uni) will be expecting you to be independent, self-studying while exploring content beyond the typical lecture notes. It depends on yourself, your attitude and your determination whether you want to succeed or not.

There's no doubt that certain uni environment really sucks. But how you deal with it is up to yourself. You can choose to lament it, or make a change in yourself by finding other ways to survive (Like spending more time in library, spending less time dealing with friends you don't like etc). These are your lifelong experiences and skills you pick up along your life journey.

I doubt that even if you change to other schools, like MMU, Southampton, UNMC etc, you will be doing better. As long as your mindset of 'everything else must please me before I can perform well' remains, it's likely that nothing will change.

If you still insist for a change in uni, go ahead, but make sure you change your attitude after that.

All the best!
Nicely put! I was thinking about saying the same thing actually, but at the end didnt in case my remarks may be misintepreted as unduly harsh
TSiSean
post May 21 2017, 02:39 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(scgoh123 @ May 21 2017, 01:25 PM)

All the best!
QUOTE(Kcdw96 @ May 21 2017, 02:09 PM)
Nicely put! I was thinking about saying the same thing actually, but at the end didnt in case my remarks may be misintepreted as unduly harsh
Really sorry for my complain again on my following insecurities in follow up in my university life.
About the community of people here. I was planning to go to UCSI because it is the only university here that is closed by my house, and there's transport for people for me to pick me up to-and-fro.

Yes, I know I need to change my mindset to survive in University. But I actually hope for "better people" to approach for help.
Because I'm not used to open up and approach them (classmates and lecturers) for help to people during my A-Levels, unless I felt the lecturer/classmate is know what they are actually doing. And I actually could really learn something from them.

But now I'm forced to do so, because I have no choice to do so due to smaller class size of 11 people in E&E.

In A-Levels Pre-U, I never felt I'd been spoon fed before, I'd struggle really a lot in most subjects past year papers.
Never really approached anyone except at times from my Chemistry Lecturer for their explanations.
As she was the one that actually "guided" us a few questions before she proceeded with anything else.
So I can start doing questions on my own without much help afterwards.
The only thing I kept approached to was certain websites that explain certain solutions for my A-Levels, for Biology, Physics and Maths only...

I'm really worried of being independent lone ranger again, like my A-levels, and turning out screwing up everything over again in Uni, despite my efforts gave in all subjects.
And that's the reason why I started to blame certain lecturers that their teaching methods is conducted quite bad.

Also, I've been spending my time in their library restudying A-Level's Pure Maths on Calculus part.
But their current block only offers A-Level books, all Engineering Books are relocated back to their other opposite campus.
Atleast it is useful in a sense right now... As their current classes are teaching Calculus.

This post has been edited by iSean: May 21 2017, 02:46 PM
scgoh123
post May 21 2017, 05:13 PM

【鬼の隠し拳:天地ガエシ】
846 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ May 21 2017, 03:39 PM)
Really sorry for my complain again on my following insecurities in follow up in my university life.
About the community of people here. I was planning to go to UCSI because it is the only university here that is closed by my house, and there's transport for people for me to pick me up to-and-fro.

Yes, I know I need to change my mindset to survive in University. But I actually hope for "better people" to approach for help.
Because I'm not used to open up and approach them (classmates and lecturers) for help to people during my A-Levels, unless I felt the lecturer/classmate is know what they are actually doing. And I actually could really learn something from them.

But now I'm forced to do so, because I have no choice to do so due to smaller class size of 11 people in E&E.

In A-Levels Pre-U, I never felt I'd been spoon fed before, I'd struggle really a lot in most subjects past year papers.
Never really approached anyone except at times from my Chemistry Lecturer for their explanations.
As she was the one that actually "guided" us a few questions before she proceeded with anything else.
So I can start doing questions on my own without much help afterwards.
The only thing I kept approached to was certain websites that explain certain solutions for my A-Levels, for Biology, Physics and Maths only...

I'm really worried of being independent lone ranger again, like my A-levels, and turning out screwing up everything over again in Uni, despite my efforts gave in all subjects.
And that's the reason why I started to blame certain lecturers that their teaching methods is conducted quite bad.

Also, I've been spending my time in their library restudying A-Level's Pure Maths on Calculus part.
But their current block only offers A-Level books, all Engineering Books are relocated back to their other opposite campus.
Atleast it is useful in a sense right now... As their current classes are teaching Calculus.
Just remember one thing in mind: When there's a will, there's a way.

Uni life is all about "moving away from your comfort zone". If you need help, say from lecturers, if you don't understand certain concepts in a chapter and need to seek clarification, you need to make you own initiative to approach that particular person personally. You can't expect the lecturer to come to you and say "Anything you don't understand?" right?

Same goes to socializing, you need to approach them, have a short chit-chat, or asking out for lunch/dinner, or forming a study group to increase effectiveness. You can join some clubs/activities which interests you (like sports, cultural activities) to make some new friends from different faculties too. Uni life isn't just about studying too, and I bet there will be some clubs/societies ongoing in your uni right?

I know introverts may find these things challenging (just like me, I am bad at socializing too, but this got better when I step into uni), but without stepping ahead, what will change?

And for studying... everyone has their own unique and effective studying methods, so I recommend that you identify your own style and stick to it. If not mistaken north and south campus in UCSI isn't too far away, plus there's shuttle bus travelling between these two campus right? You should make your own way to these libraries for your knowledge. The libraries in my uni is kinda far away from my faculty too, but I made an effort to travel.

TSiSean
post May 21 2017, 06:21 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(scgoh123 @ May 21 2017, 05:13 PM)
Just remember one thing in mind: When there's a will, there's a way.

Uni life is all about "moving away from your comfort zone". If you need help, say from lecturers, if you don't understand certain concepts in a chapter and need to seek clarification, you need to make you own initiative to approach that particular person personally. You can't expect the lecturer to come to you and say "Anything you don't understand?" right?

Same goes to socializing, you need to approach them, have a short chit-chat, or asking out for lunch/dinner, or forming a study group to increase effectiveness. You can join some clubs/activities which interests you (like sports, cultural activities) to make some new friends from different faculties too. Uni life isn't just about studying too, and I bet there will be some clubs/societies ongoing in your uni right?

I know introverts may find these things challenging (just like me, I am bad at socializing too, but this got better when I step into uni), but without stepping ahead, what will change?

And for studying... everyone has their own unique and effective studying methods, so I recommend that you identify your own style and stick to it. If not mistaken north and south campus in UCSI isn't too far away, plus there's shuttle bus travelling between these two campus right? You should make your own way to these libraries for your knowledge. The libraries in my uni is kinda far away from my faculty too, but I made an effort to travel.
yes there is a bus for that. But I seldom will go there until they move me to their new engineering campus there during Early August.
I'm just worried about my weak foundation from A-level causing me not to keep up.

In the first week, I already seen some of these students bad influence, by smoking inside campus. sweat.gif
My class size is really small, getting a real friend that could help me in my understanding/homework is really a big deal...

Also I just realized their tutorial questions are only a few...
Not sure I could approach the lecturers for more or not... rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by iSean: May 21 2017, 06:25 PM
Kcdw96
post May 21 2017, 06:36 PM

Enthusiast
708 posts

Lol uni is not school, you dont get a shitload of questions to spam. For NUS, in our weekly tutorials, we get around 5 questions/week, which are frankly quite useless as they are way to direct and easy. The only source where you can get extra questions is your textbook, and past year papers which for us, answers arent released and some lecturers are reluctant to discuss questions not set by them.

But im sure if you approach your lecturers for more questions, some may have some and will gladly share them with you, while some will just redirect you to the textbook. However, the onus is on you to ask if you want something, as in real life, if you dont ask, no one knows what you need or want.

Speaking from my experience as both a student (but my grades are quite mediocre only sad.gif ), and as a teaching assistant for a year 1 module, extra questions arent that neceasary, as if you understand the concepts well, you should be able to answer most questions. The only purpose of doing past year questions is to get a feel of how the exam will be done and even so, some lecturers like to troll students by setting their exam format very different compared to past year papers and not giving us any warning.

Of course, doing tutorial questions and text book questions is a good way to test your understanding, but tutorial questions, textbook examples, and past year papers suffice for this purpose

Im not that good at socializing too, most of my friends from my very limited social circle comes from my coursemates (very few and last sem i and them took different modules, so for most of my modules i hardly know anyone beyond the hi and bye stage) and neighbours in my accomodation. Having a lot of friends is not a prereuisite for academic success, nor does having very few preclude you.

This post has been edited by Kcdw96: May 21 2017, 06:48 PM
TSiSean
post May 24 2017, 04:50 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(Kcdw96 @ May 21 2017, 06:36 PM)
Lol uni is not school, you dont get a shitload of questions to spam. For NUS, in our weekly tutorials, we get around 5 questions/week, which are frankly quite useless as they are way to direct and easy. The only source where you can get extra questions is your textbook, and past year papers which for us, answers arent released and some lecturers are reluctant to discuss questions not set by them.

But im sure if you approach your lecturers for more questions, some may have some and will gladly share them with you, while some will just redirect you to the textbook. However, the onus is on you to ask if you want something, as in real life, if you dont ask, no one knows what you need or want.

Speaking from my experience as both a student (but my grades are quite mediocre only sad.gif ), and as a teaching assistant for a year 1 module, extra questions arent that neceasary, as if you understand the concepts well, you should be able to answer most questions. The only purpose of doing past year questions is to get a feel of how the exam will be done and even so, some lecturers like to troll students by setting their exam format very different compared to past year papers and not giving us any warning.

Of course, doing tutorial questions and text book questions is a good way to test your understanding, but tutorial questions, textbook examples, and past year papers suffice for this purpose

Im not that good at socializing too, most of my friends from my very limited social circle comes from my coursemates (very few and last sem i and them took different modules, so for most of my modules i hardly know anyone beyond the hi and bye stage) and neighbours in my accomodation. Having a lot of friends is not a prereuisite for academic success, nor does having very few preclude you.
.... Sadly most of our lecturers, they didn't tell us which textbook they are using in our lectures and I'm forced to Google the contents in the slide to actually find the textbook doh.gif

I have currently lost all faith in my 1st year in UCSI because of their irresponsible management in our Intake.
They didn't properly did briefing for E&E.

Now currently I didn't take any MPU subject and forced to drag into next semester when it is full.
I'd been thrown like a basketball between North Wing and South Wing Campus with most people in their respective department nearly clueless about the drastic changes implied in their management rclxub.gif

I'm for sure with this "class capacity size" in UCSI, and bad influence of students, I either thrive or I will fall along with them.

And some of the lecturers assume didn't do minor "recap". On concepts that we didn't touch on for awhile and assumed we knew. Eg. SPM Matrices. Most of us lost during the first lecture...

Currently I calculated, I only left 1K tuition fees in their system. I'd planned to drop out and move to MMU after my Semester 2 Year 1. If possible... Because I can't drop out now, because it is not worth it as I will burnt my RM 9K tuition fees, as they won't refund it. http://www.ucsiuniversity.edu.my/pdf/payme...nd-Policies.pdf (Not mistaken, if anyone understand this please further brief me)

Because the community here and food here is really really bad imo.
I know I will eventually need to deal with this when I come out to work in the society.
But to these lecturers, I don't really feel like they are providing any help besides copying and pasting sections of a PDF book into their slides.

And open talk all the way, and claimed one lecture.

------------
Anyhow, I'd planned to borrow PTPTN and I don't really know how to handle the transfer afterwards... haish.
And should I pay back to PTPTN, then I can borrow PTPTN again in MMU...
Kcdw96
post May 24 2017, 11:22 PM

Enthusiast
708 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ May 24 2017, 04:50 PM)
.... Sadly most of our lecturers, they didn't tell us which textbook they are using in our lectures and I'm forced to Google the contents in the slide to actually find the textbook doh.gif

I have currently lost all faith in my 1st year in UCSI because of their irresponsible management in our Intake.
They didn't properly did briefing for E&E.

Now currently I didn't take any MPU subject and forced to drag into next semester when it is full.
I'd been thrown like a basketball between North Wing and South Wing Campus with most people in their respective department nearly clueless about the drastic changes implied in their management  rclxub.gif 

I'm for sure with this "class capacity size" in UCSI, and bad influence of students, I either thrive or I will fall along with them.

And some of the lecturers assume didn't do minor "recap". On concepts that we didn't touch on for awhile and assumed we knew. Eg. SPM Matrices. Most of us lost during the first lecture...

Currently I calculated, I only left 1K tuition fees in their system. I'd planned to drop out and move to MMU after my Semester 2 Year 1. If possible... Because I can't drop out now, because it is not worth it as I will burnt my RM 9K tuition fees, as they won't refund it. http://www.ucsiuniversity.edu.my/pdf/payme...nd-Policies.pdf (Not mistaken, if anyone understand this please further brief me)

Because the community here and food here is really really bad imo.
I know I will eventually need to deal with this when I come out to work in the society.
But to these lecturers, I don't really feel like they are providing any help besides copying and pasting sections of a PDF book into their slides.

And open talk all the way, and claimed one lecture.
------------
Anyhow, I'd planned to borrow PTPTN and I don't really know how to handle the transfer afterwards... haish.
And should I pay back to PTPTN, then I can borrow PTPTN again in MMU...
You dont really need the exact book the teacher uses. For eg, if you are taking a course on linear algebra (since you mentioned matrices), just go library and pick up any linear algebra book with similar topics to those taught in class. All of them are essentially conveying the same message just through different words
TSiSean
post May 25 2017, 06:46 AM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(Kcdw96 @ May 24 2017, 11:22 PM)
You dont really need the exact book the teacher uses. For eg, if you are taking a course on linear algebra (since you mentioned matrices), just go library and pick up any linear algebra book with similar topics to those taught in class. All of them are essentially conveying the same message just through different words
I know atleast give me a few items to choose from to read.
I can't suppose to pick all the books and read right... rclxub.gif

For the library part I see what can I do la.
Because I need to go back to South Wing each time just to borrow the books.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0173sec    0.44    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:53 PM