Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Quitting after 1 day (update), New work place

views

Joey Christensen
post May 20 2017, 03:06 AM

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum
3,645 posts

QUOTE(Qasy @ May 16 2017, 10:42 PM)
Yeah, I might be office-sick. I find that everything in the old office is better. Even my ex-colleague who left 1 year ago still says there is no better place than there. This is the feeling of leaving the nest.

Aww...Tough luck, eh? Do you want to go back?

To all, I accept your comments and thank you. Its probably my fault that I was reserved with myself, not taking the initiative to say hello. Maybe I am too atas as someone mentioned. I am actually a very shy person and find it hard to start a conversation especially having to converse in Mandarin. One more thing is that, there don't seem to be a right time to have empty talk with them because they were dead serious from 9-6, and as a newbie I don't want to disturb them and give an impression that I'm a talker. Lunch time is the time but like yesterday they went off without inviting me. The next thing I know all of them were not seen. I don't know if I am giving a portrait of an unfriendly person.

9 to 6? Are they robots? Are you being too exaggerating here?

I asked if I can help with anything today, but they shook their heads. Pc is being set up this evening, I will see if work starts rolling in. I'm not pointing fingers on IT for being slow, might be miscommunication between HR and IT, or the time wasn't right and understand they have other things more important to do especially now with the ransomware.

Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions...Is it the Human Resource Dept. or Information Technology Dept. or your very own dept.? 

Putting that aside, there is another thing that I wasn't comfortable with. I'm not sure if there are other companies like this but do let me know if there is.

1.Management doesn't allow staff to eat or drink in the office. Drink as in drinking coffee/tea/milo. Eating I understand as its oily and crumbs that fall might invite ants and cockroaches but drinking?? How about plain 'ol water? No? Oh well...Accept or leave.
2.Not allowed to use mobile phone during office hour. If caught, warning. Okay....? Well, company policy. Accept or leave.
3. No taking pictures in the premise. This is acceptable. Oh well, company policy. Accept or leave.

To summarize, the management is quite strict and there is no way to de-stress. There are many ways. It's a matter of mind.

Anyone here works in a company that has 'funny' rules?
hirano
post May 20 2017, 11:56 PM

凸(`△´#)
3,260 posts

You complain that the seniors work dead serious 9-6, not inviting you lunch as well. Well i dont blame them, i am this type too. My work is very busy, so i wont have time to layan juniors. You want lunch, invite yourself in. I wont initiate.

The above is the only thing i disagree with you. Other practices in the company (not allowing drinks, potong salary if late a bit) are totally not right. Go on and quit
off_shore
post May 21 2017, 08:05 PM

Enthusiast
841 posts

Why must seniors invite u for lunch why can't u approach them and ask if u could join?

Everyone is there to work and they find no obligation to entertain or make juniors feel like home.

If ur lucky to find some companies have buddy system or even some random colleagues talk to you/entertain you.. treat that as a bonus and not a necessity. You will understand once you are a senior and damn occupied with your tasks and see if u have the will to jaga small colleagues.
FormalCat
post May 21 2017, 11:45 PM

Getting Started
195 posts

Not being able to drink milo or tea is silly. Are you a working professional or a school kid?

I would start a fight if they stop me from drinking tea/milo

The HR staff sounds like a nightmare. HR is supposed to take care of staff health both physically and mentally. It's also their job to make sure you take holidays and be happy.
bunzbunz
post May 22 2017, 03:59 PM

33 posts

Sorry TS, tumpang and share my story here. I have similar situation like you but I'm with the job for 1.5 months.

I just joined this company in mid April. Went through 3 rounds of interview. Everything was promising and looks good until I get in. Management hire me to backup this specific person, I name this person as A. A was ok to me when I first got in, after she knew I'll be her backup and must learn all her things, her attitude started to change. Ask or don't ask her questions, I kena. At the beginning I feel stupid after listening to her words, slowly the words are getting heavier and sounds like insulting me, plus her voice is real loud. I don't see she treat other people like that except me.

She keep telling me that nobody guide or teach her when she came in. You find your way la, explore around la. At the same time she told me not to simply play around with the things. I did learn on my own, looking at those manuals but later I found out everything wrote in 'language' she understands and some are obsolete. It's like simple notes and archive to me. When I be nervous and pick up things fast, she said you can learn slowly, next day she ask me to learn faster and be familiarize.

Senior manager just onboard, A told him that she didn't know whether in her backup or help her. What??? As if I'm deaf but I didn't say a word. Not sure what she told the manager until my destiny is changing.

I got nothing to do everyday since A won't assign anything to me or brief me. When her mood is good she will go through once only and speak like a rocket. Now the manager is assigning me to be someone's assistant to do some simple job, may transfer me to other team as well. This is totally not what I was hired or promised. I feel like I'm being cheated or conned.

I feel so demotivated and upset. I'm not a fresh grad but this is the first time I'm seeing such person and being treated in this way.

I wanted to resign and even typed the letter already. At the same time I don't feel like being jobless but staying here is a waste of time as I learn nothing.

If you were in the situation, what will you do?
TSQasy
post May 22 2017, 11:15 PM

27 posts

QUOTE(hirano @ May 20 2017, 11:56 PM)
You complain that the seniors work dead serious 9-6, not inviting you lunch as well. Well i dont blame them, i am this type too. My work is very busy, so i wont have time to layan juniors. You want lunch, invite yourself in. I wont initiate.

The above is the only thing i disagree with you. Other practices in the company (not allowing drinks, potong salary if late a bit) are totally not right. Go on and quit
QUOTE(off_shore @ May 21 2017, 08:05 PM)
Why must seniors invite u for lunch why can't u approach them and ask if u could join?

Everyone is there to work and they find no obligation to entertain or make juniors feel like home.

If ur lucky to find some companies have buddy system or even some random colleagues talk to you/entertain you..  treat that as a bonus and not a necessity. You will understand once you are a senior and damn occupied with your tasks and see if u have the will to jaga small colleagues.
Today, I dared myself to invite myself to join lunch with them. They were walking away and I called them. One of them turned, smiled and walked away. I quickly grab my purse and chase. I don't know bout you guys being seniors, I've been one but I/We never treated juniors like this no matter how busy we were. When they first join, one of the seniors will make sure to introduce and show them around. Lunch time we will invite and treat them (sort of like a welcome lunch). We even have things assigned (simple task like key data into excel) to them already on the first day. But different people+company have different style and I accept that my current seniors are a little bit cold.

QUOTE(FormalCat @ May 21 2017, 11:45 PM)
Not being able to drink milo or tea is silly. Are you a working professional or a school kid?

I would start a fight if they stop me from drinking tea/milo

The HR staff sounds like a nightmare. HR is supposed to take care of staff health both physically and mentally. It's also their job to make sure you take holidays and be happy.
QUOTE(omc8484 @ May 22 2017, 02:24 PM)
the bottom micromanagement reasons is either japanese or chinese local company

ptui

thank god i can late , can use phone and can surf web like king , we US company no black facebook

toray is one of the worst n strict company in my 10 companies experience.

u put sealed food on table the some granny manager will get shocked and mad................
no surf web even a tiny bit.
u sit down nothing to do ,she granny manager will get so mad n say to me , tmr u no need to come
Yeah, I can't find any logic to this rule. Perhaps takut we spill the drinks, stain the documents and invite insects.

QUOTE(bunzbunz @ May 22 2017, 03:59 PM)
Sorry TS, tumpang and share my story here. I have similar situation like you but I'm with the job for 1.5 months.

I just joined this company in mid April. Went through 3 rounds of interview. Everything was promising and looks good until I get in. Management hire me to backup this specific person, I name this person as A. A was ok to me when I first got in, after she knew I'll be her backup and must learn all her things, her attitude started to change. Ask or don't ask her questions, I kena. At the beginning I feel stupid after listening to her words, slowly the words are getting heavier and sounds like insulting me, plus her voice is real loud. I don't see she treat other people like that except me.

She keep telling me that nobody guide or teach her when she came in. You find your way la, explore around la. At the same time she told me not to simply play around with the things. I did learn on my own, looking at those manuals but later I found out everything wrote in 'language' she understands and some are obsolete. It's like simple notes and archive to me. When I be nervous and pick up things fast, she said you can learn slowly, next day she ask me to learn faster and be familiarize.

Senior manager just onboard, A told him that she didn't know whether in her backup or help her. What??? As if I'm deaf but I didn't say a word. Not sure what she told the manager until my destiny is changing.

I got nothing to do everyday since A won't assign anything to me or brief me. When her mood is good she will go through once only and speak like a rocket. Now the manager is assigning me to be someone's assistant to do some simple job, may transfer me to other team as well. This is totally not what I was hired or promised. I feel like I'm being cheated or conned.

I feel so demotivated and upset. I'm not a fresh grad but this is the first time I'm seeing such person and being treated in this way.

I wanted to resign and even typed the letter already. At the same time I don't feel like being jobless but staying here is a waste of time as I learn nothing.

Some senior tends to get frustrated with juniors because they're probably lazy to teach and some do have fear that the junior will surpass them. Frankly speaking I've never encounter this problem ever. My junior life was fill with love. Hehe. As a senior, I sometimes do get frustrated with junior especially the one that tak faham bahasa even after 10 times explanation.

If I were you? Only two choice, resign or stay.

Resign. No need to say more. Find a job while you have nothing to do.

Stay. If you want to stay, then you have to talk. Talk to A or maybe easier, to the senior manager straight. Is there are higher level after senior manager? In case senior manager is the type who don't give a f*** or more protective towards senior or no changes after the talk, you have to go straight to higher level. Ask whats wrong and tell him your side of story. If you want to clear things off once and for all, pull A in as well. Yes you are new but you have to stand on your ground at cases like this. Do you have a senior that you are close to? You can get some help from them. Out of many seniors, I'm sure there is one with good heart. Since you were assign to be someone's assistant, do they have anything you can help with? You can temporarily help them even though just simple task, its better than nothing to do. Maybe as time passed by, that someone will find you useful and request for you to be his/her asst.

I can't advise much because I've never been there. Even though this new place I work also have not assign me any major task yet, there is no crazy people like A. Nonetheless, down the road, if you're not happy there is no point staying (unless they pay you highly).

This post has been edited by Qasy: May 22 2017, 11:22 PM
hirano
post May 22 2017, 11:22 PM

凸(`△´#)
3,260 posts

QUOTE(Qasy @ May 22 2017, 11:15 PM)
Today, I dared myself to invite myself to join lunch with them. They were walking away and I called them. One of them turned, smiled and walked away. I quickly grab my purse and chase. I don't know bout you guys being seniors, I've been one but I/We never treated juniors like this no matter how busy we were. When they first join, one of the seniors will make sure to introduce and show them around. Lunch time we will invite and treat them (sort of like a welcome lunch). We even have things assigned (simple task like key data into excel) to them already on the first day. But different people+company have different style and I accept that my current seniors are a little bit cold.
Yeah, I can't find any logic to this rule. Perhaps takut we spill the drinks, stain the documents and invite insects.
Some senior tends to get frustrated with juniors because they're probably lazy to teach and some do have fear that the junior will surpass them. Frankly speaking I've never encounter this problem ever. My junior life was fill with love. Hehe. As a senior, I sometimes do get frustrated with junior especially the one that tak faham bahasa even after 10 times explanation.
you mentioned somewhere in this thread that your old office was quite free and easy (or something to that extend). meaning you still have free time to entertain juniors. my work does not. even when I'm assigned to train them, fine i'll do it (without sour face). but this makes my OWN work keep piling up each day. It's already a mountain without the interference, and with the juniors interfering, having to sit with them and teach 1 by 1 of the stuff.... my workload now is unbearable. I rarely get back home on time for the whole year.

FormalCat
post May 22 2017, 11:27 PM

Getting Started
195 posts

QUOTE(bunzbunz @ May 22 2017, 03:59 PM)

print that letter and keep it with you. approach your Management and confront them on your current job scope. prepare all your questions on paper and ask one by one. what is your purpose here? role? are you supposed to replace "A" soon? etc etc

if you know your role and purpose, you will learn to be more assertive and confident. maybe one day you have the courage to fark "A" upside down and run the show. if you learn unsettling things from management then you might want to start job hunting again.

keep your resume updated and start looking for jobs

People realise too late that the day they start job hunting is not the day they resign but the first day they start feeling depressed with a job

the moment you know you have a better job offer, JUMP!

hand the management your printed letter and ciao cheers.gif
TSQasy
post May 22 2017, 11:35 PM

27 posts

QUOTE(hirano @ May 22 2017, 11:22 PM)
you mentioned somewhere in this thread that your old office was quite free and easy (or something to that extend). meaning you still have free time to entertain juniors. my work does not. even when I'm assigned to train them, fine i'll do it (without sour face). but this makes my OWN work keep piling up each day. It's already a mountain without the interference, and with the juniors interfering, having to sit with them and teach 1 by 1 of the stuff.... my workload now is unbearable. I rarely get back home on time for the whole year.
Understand your situation. Some people works solo or cover mountain cover sea, no other people to help just them alone, therefore its difficult to entertain junior. But if you have a big team, even 1 come to say hello will do. My work back then was a lot too (except that I still go back on time), but I work in a big team, so there is someone to entertain the junior.

Hope the best for you. console.gif Even though you're really busy, make sure to get some food and water. Don't be like me, skip lunch and drank very little water, alas fell sick which lasted 1 week.

Btw...can't you get an assistant or part-timer?

This post has been edited by Qasy: May 22 2017, 11:38 PM
leotorino
post May 23 2017, 12:11 PM

23 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Hi bro/sis and also TS

Ive been in ur shoes before..clerk admin dept..also cannot drink other than plain water at cubicle.kalau nak minum kopi kena minum di pantry..work start at 830am but i must arrive before 8 for meeting

i dont know what my manager want.today said this tomorrow said that..when im asking, she scold me for questioned her credibility..n many more issues with workflow..taichi is normal.

What i do, i ask HR if got any position in other dept.n the answer is no..gave resignation letter n quit after 2 months.

During job hunting, i work at fast food and other part time job such as cuci kereta.yes, i jadi bangla. My salary from 2000 decrease to 1200..my monthly commitment around 800..atleast im happy even lose my weight.

What i want to share is, ONLY u can decide ur life n career. U happy or not with ur current situation. U cannot change company policies, work flow. Same like love relationship.

Either take it or leave it. U tak sukak u keluar, like i do.
bunzbunz
post May 24 2017, 01:29 PM

33 posts

Thanks everyone! it's either take it or leave it, I've decided to leave.

management used to say I have 6 months to learn from A and now 3 months. Asking about the progress, A stoned for a moment and the senior manager quickly say the learning is good. In the meeting, there are some issues "We must have this done", the next sentence is "but the responsibility is not on you or us". The management and the culture, I really cannot. Want the things done but don't want to take up any responsibility.

There is no laptop for all of us. Pros and cons for me. They actually require us to stay back to wait for certain thing. Propose to go home and continue by logging on the server with our personal laptop at home, "the connection might be unstable", "what if your travel time is 1 hour, then we wait for you 1 hour". Wow, impressive! Your time is time, we sit there for few hours until midnight and it's not a big deal?
Ps: no ot claims, no meal allowance or other compensation for waiting. In short, nothing.

I've work with chinaman and cinaman companies before but I've never met such people in my life.

May be I'm too innocent and straightforward, working for a few years but I'm still weak in dealing in politics. I'm very bad in arguing or even talking. I'm that type of person will keep quiet and do all the work. When it comes to credit, I don't have.
vincabby
post May 25 2017, 09:25 AM

On my way
664 posts

QUOTE(bunzbunz @ May 24 2017, 01:29 PM)

management used to say I have 6 months to learn from A and now 3 months. Asking about the progress, A stoned for a moment and the senior manager quickly say the learning is good. In the meeting, there are some issues "We must have this done", the next sentence is "but the responsibility is not on you or us". The management and the culture, I really cannot. Want the things done but don't want to take up any responsibility.

There is no laptop for all of us. Pros and cons for me. They actually require us to stay back to wait for certain thing. Propose to go home and continue by logging on the server with our personal laptop at home, "the connection might be unstable", "what if your travel time is 1 hour, then we wait for you 1 hour". Wow, impressive! Your time is time, we sit there for few hours until midnight and it's not a big deal?
Ps: no ot claims, no meal allowance or other compensation for waiting. In short, nothing.

I've work with chinaman and cinaman companies before but I've never met such people in my life.

May be I'm too innocent and straightforward, working for a few years but I'm still weak in dealing in politics. I'm very bad in arguing or even talking. I'm that type of person will keep quiet and do all the work. When it comes to credit, I don't have.
all the best to you finding a new job. surely there are places better than your last one! in the mean time, spend time with your family and friends. who knows they might have some recommendations.
xixo_12
post May 25 2017, 10:25 AM

i!Retired!i
7,318 posts

one time i did it.. left after a few days, reason was quite straight forward, offline and online doc to messy, and ask me to clean up..

i can do it, but this is the way too much until i cant do nothing.. give me a sim card, and ask me to buy own phone at very 1st day.. i just feel funny with all those arrangement..

nah, quit and find another job
TSQasy
post May 25 2017, 11:04 AM

27 posts

QUOTE(leotorino @ May 23 2017, 12:11 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Hi bro/sis and also TS

Ive been in ur shoes before..clerk admin dept..also cannot drink other than plain water at cubicle.kalau nak minum kopi kena minum di pantry..work start at 830am but i must arrive before 8 for meeting

i dont know what my manager want.today said this tomorrow said that..when im asking, she scold me for questioned her credibility..n many more issues with workflow..taichi is normal.

What i do, i ask HR if got any position in other dept.n the answer is no..gave resignation letter n quit after 2 months.

During job hunting, i work at fast food and other part time job such as cuci kereta.yes, i jadi bangla. My salary from 2000 decrease to 1200..my monthly commitment around 800..atleast im happy even lose my weight.

What i want to share is, ONLY u can decide ur life n career. U happy or not with ur current situation. U cannot change company policies, work flow. Same like love relationship.

Either take it or leave it. U tak sukak u keluar, like i do.
I like your last line. U tak sukak u keluar.

QUOTE(bunzbunz @ May 24 2017, 01:29 PM)

Even you stay around, I think you cannot tahan also with this type of people. All the best to you.

QUOTE(vincabby @ May 25 2017, 09:25 AM)
all the best to you finding a new job. surely there are places better than your last one! in the mean time, spend time with your family and friends. who knows they might have some recommendations.
I find that family and friends are the best resource. Some small company belonging to friend or family will hire you without having to go through interview.

QUOTE(xixo_12 @ May 25 2017, 10:25 AM)
one time i did it.. left after a few days, reason was quite straight forward, offline and online doc to messy, and ask me to clean up..

i can do it, but this is the way too much until i cant do nothing.. give me a sim card, and ask me to buy own phone at very 1st day.. i just feel funny with all those arrangement..

nah, quit and find another job
I've clean shit before and its frustrating especially when you don't know where the numbers comes from and your superior is also blur blur. Limited excess to the system is also troublesome for shit cleaning.
ireallydunno
post May 26 2017, 01:03 AM

Getting Started
50 posts

I once quit after2 days of working
[Ancient]-XinG-
post May 26 2017, 07:40 AM

20k VIP club
5,725 posts

After reading some replies, MY working culture really bad.

All thanks the thinking I EXPERIENCED BEFORE SO YOU MUST FEEL IT ALSO.

Time had change. This shit method isn't working anymore.

Lucky there still some same senior around. They say to me. Look. We are try to get rid of this thinking. So if you're senior in future, do the same thing as we did. Try to prevent this culture from nurturing.

This post has been edited by [Ancient]-XinG-: May 26 2017, 07:45 AM
hjffgjng
post May 26 2017, 07:41 AM

Getting Started
221 posts

seems ts ok

adamhzm90
post May 26 2017, 09:14 AM

Regular
1,269 posts

QUOTE(07XII @ May 26 2017, 08:22 AM)
hahaha why la got some old granny/grandpa in the management with 60s mentality

dafuk this world has changed la...

really MY working culture is bad due to Asian typical minsdset thingy and songlap culture
not really songlap culture..

more like bos & management stingy culture where they must take most of the company profit and ignore staff
N33d
post May 26 2017, 10:21 AM

Enthusiast
896 posts

luckily in my dept, mgmt did not micromanage on the behavior/discipline aspect, but they did on the working part. which annoy me sometimes. like ask me to show how i approach this result, that result. Show him the codes eventho they have no idea what it meant and i need to explain like teaching primary sch kids etc.
SUS~Sherlock~
post May 26 2017, 01:18 PM

42 posts

If the current colleagues is this cold i have a feeling that they know you are earning a lot more than them. There is likely a leak of ur salary somewhere.

Another reason could be language barrier. from what u have written i believe the current staff are mandarin speaking while u are more English speaking. am i right?

and how about your position? are u their senior or same level with them? or are u their team lead?

about the job, why not ask back ur manager why he wanted u so badly in such a short period. does that piece of work need to be done?

6 Pages « < 3 4 5 6 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0192sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:23 AM