Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Confuse which step should go 1st, wordpress vs bluehost

views

TSusmanjailani
post May 11 2017, 04:45 PM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
174 posts

Hi guys..

My boss somehow wanted his own company website..so i do some readups (source), and from what i understand i need both domain and webhost.

Should i bought bluehost.com basic plan first (to get my domain name, and hosting services) and then buy the premium plan from wordpress or is there any other ways?.

What if i bought bluehost basic plan and just using the free wordpress plan..would it still have the .wordpress.com at my URL even i already own a domain name?
melz84
post May 11 2017, 04:47 PM

Regular
1,556 posts

get a domain . then a host, then install wordpress.. won't go wrong

the free wordpress has limitation, and you need to pay a premium to connect your domain to it..
self hosted, u can customize ur own designs

This post has been edited by melz84: May 11 2017, 04:49 PM
nyunyu
post May 11 2017, 04:53 PM

His Royal Highness
1,388 posts

QUOTE(usmanjailani @ May 11 2017, 04:45 PM)
Hi guys..

My boss somehow wanted his own company website..so i do some readups (source), and from what i understand i need both domain and webhost.

Should i bought bluehost.com basic plan first (to get my domain name, and hosting services) and then buy the premium plan from wordpress or is there any other ways?.

What if i bought bluehost basic plan and just using the free wordpress plan..would it still have the .wordpress.com at my URL even i already own a domain name?
Sure, the bluehost basic plan is just what you need as it comes with free domain already. So, all you need is to go into their control panel and setup wordpress from there or if you know what you're doing, set up wordpress manually.

IF you want to have wordpress.com domain such as YOUR.wordpress.com, then you don't have to buy anything, just go to wordpress.com and set up your blog there.
TSusmanjailani
post May 11 2017, 04:55 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(melz84 @ May 11 2017, 04:47 PM)
get a domain . then a host, then install wordpress.. won't go wrong

the free wordpress has limitation, and you need to pay a premium to connect your domain to it..
self hosted, u can customize ur own designs
actually both bluehost and wordpress would give a free domain name in all package..so if i bought the hosting service from bluehost (comes with free domain name) and then bought the plan from wordpress (for its features), its basically 1 of the correct way to start a website right?.
TSusmanjailani
post May 11 2017, 04:59 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(nyunyu @ May 11 2017, 04:53 PM)
Sure, the bluehost basic plan is just what you need as it comes with free domain already. So, all you need is to go into their control panel and setup wordpress from there or if you know what you're doing, set up wordpress manually.

IF you want to have wordpress.com domain such as YOUR.wordpress.com, then you don't have to buy anything, just go to wordpress.com and set up your blog there.
if thats the case, then i just need to buy wordpress plan to get rid of the ".wordpress.com" and some others features right?.

i have basic in blogging, but that when blogspot was still up there..just dont have the knowledge in buying a domain and hosting and so on..tweaking here and there on the setting still manageable for me.
danieln
post May 12 2017, 12:02 AM

Regular
1,249 posts

if you are going to be using ssl on the website I would suggest not ot use bluehost as they have issues on setting it up right from my personal experience.

also a search on the net also found customers with similar issues and moved out.
TSusmanjailani
post May 12 2017, 09:48 AM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(danieln @ May 12 2017, 12:02 AM)
if you are going to be using ssl on the website I would suggest not ot use bluehost as they have issues on setting it up right from my personal experience.

also a search on the net also found customers with similar issues and moved out.
i dont think we will be using SSL on the website since it just a portfolio-based website for the company..it just need to be updated with new/current project we working on so it will look more professional..
TSusmanjailani
post May 12 2017, 10:36 AM

Getting Started
174 posts

one more thing..regarding the free domain from bluehost..what happen to the domain if i stop subscribe for the hosting from them and subs from other hosting provider?.do the domain still mine or it stop when im stop subs from bluehost?.
kopiride
post May 12 2017, 10:43 AM

On my way
694 posts

Why you choose bluehost over exabytes? I am trying to find a host but googling gives so many options. Most are overseas hosting except for exabyte which is malaysia base. Also wanting to run wordpress.
TSusmanjailani
post May 12 2017, 11:29 AM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(kopiride @ May 12 2017, 10:43 AM)
Why you choose bluehost over exabytes? I am trying to find a host but googling gives so many options. Most are overseas hosting except for exabyte which is malaysia base. Also wanting to run wordpress.
i saw bad review on exabyte..so that one of the reason..but still, i'm open for any other alternative..
pakeri
post May 13 2017, 11:28 AM

Getting Started
84 posts

Hi just want to share my knowledge. What you have to do is:

1.Buy a domain and hosting.Usually u buy this together in 1 step and in 1 company to make the process faster. Also you should decide which domain you want to buy.If ended with .my you have to buy from local company. Also expect a bit late response time if you buy domain and hosting from overseas company due to difference timezone.

2.Usually there is software to install wordpress inside hosting control panel, you can install it by yourself or get the hosting support to do it for you. Usually it is free unless you ask for them to design.

3.Get website designer to customize the website for you.

P/S; I am web designer, so if you need website design service, PM me.
danieln
post May 15 2017, 12:31 AM

Regular
1,249 posts

QUOTE(usmanjailani @ May 12 2017, 11:29 AM)
i saw bad review on exabyte..so that one of the reason..but still, i'm open for any other alternative..
there are always good & bad reviews for hosts trust me. no hosting company can have zero break downs forever
ladycooper
post May 16 2017, 08:26 AM

Enthusiast
917 posts

QUOTE(danieln @ May 15 2017, 12:31 AM)
there are always good & bad reviews for hosts trust me. no hosting company can have zero break downs forever
TQ for your understanding. We really appreciate it.

For every case that you have contacted Exabytes, customer can give us a rating for our support level. We have seens a tremendous improvement over the time since after we implemented new helpdesk system. Of course we understand there are still room of improvement that we can still achieve. Feel free to PM me directly if any of you need any help.

At the same time, agree that you do not really need a SSL for your company website, but it is always good to have SSL installed as every SSL installation also means that your website has went through certain level of verification / authentication for your business. In other words, it means your website are more secure and more trusted.

By the way, all hosting with cPanel with Exabytes is now come with complementary Domain Validation SSL. Free free to take advantage of this as you no longer need to purchase additional SSL (the most basic Domain Validation SSL). However, you are always recommended to consider installing higher level of trusted EV SSL (Extended Validation SSL).

SSL: https://www.exabytes.my/web-security/ssl

More reading on why you need HTTPS: https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2014/08/h...ing-signal.html

lankapo
post May 18 2017, 03:39 PM

19 posts

Serverfreak also a good local hosting company.
For certain package you can even get free unlimited SSL

They also have Wordpress Pro for RM399 per year with lifetime domain and free unlimited SSL.
realn00b
post May 27 2017, 01:11 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

I've tried WordPress on a premium plan before, and it was a waste of time. So much limitations on WordPress.com. The main issue is you can't use your own plugins, and it limits the capability of your blog extensively.

I'm currently using Bluehost as my hosting provider for my WordPress blog. Having said that, Bluehost has so many bad reviews online. Why not try SiteGround?

This post has been edited by realn00b: May 27 2017, 01:11 PM
kelvin_87
post May 28 2017, 12:55 AM

Casual
312 posts

QUOTE(realn00b @ May 27 2017, 01:11 PM)
I've tried WordPress on a premium plan before, and it was a waste of time. So much limitations on WordPress.com. The main issue is you can't use your own plugins, and it limits the capability of your blog extensively.

I'm currently using Bluehost as my hosting provider for my WordPress blog. Having said that, Bluehost has so many bad reviews online. Why not try SiteGround?
I tried Exebytes and the experience is horrible, and now I am using Hostgator for my site for the past 5 years and everything is perfect!

Once you are settle with the hosting and contents, and you decided to jump start your start to earn money, you may consider to join this course: Proven Ways to Make Money from Website smile.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0126sec    0.14    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:07 PM