Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Is Mitsubishi the brand to watch for SEA?

views

TSEnergyAnalyst
post Oct 4 2017, 04:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Oct 4 2017, 04:14 PM)
Very polarising reviews are actually not a bad thing in my opinion, that means that the product is not watered down to the masses, ie a not bad product but nothing fantastic standing. The product has quite a focused audience. Risky, but good potential to create brand loyalty and fan base.
Good point. I guess by default, the in betweens will always attract polarising opinions since it is a bit of neither here nor there like the half glass full or empty metaphor
wkc5657
post Oct 4 2017, 04:34 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Oct 4 2017, 04:24 PM)
Good point. I guess by default, the in betweens will always attract polarising opinions since it is a bit of neither here nor there like the half glass full or empty metaphor
The main risk will be that volume will be limited, some what similar to how mazda is now despite the success of the skyactiv rebranding.

But fans that can stand on polarising stance are usually the best brand advocate, akin somewhat to the older days toyota supra, nsx, s2000, etc.
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Oct 4 2017, 11:21 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

http://www.asiaone.com/business/xpander-st...eries-customers

...Trevor Mann, Chief Operating Officer at Mitsubishi Motors Corporation, said:

"The rollout of our all-new XPANDER MPV is an important milestone for Mitsubishi Motors, not just here in Indonesia but across the ASEAN region."

...Following the roll out of the XPANDER MPV in Indonesia, Mitsubishi Motors plans to make the new model available across the ASEAN region. Beginning in early 2018, this is also planned to be the first Mitsubishi Motors vehicle to be exported from Indonesia.

I just realize how Mitsubishi segregate quite sensibly their models production in ASEAN

Thailand : Pick Ups and Small car
Malaysia : SUVs
Indonesia : MPV
zweimmk
post Oct 5 2017, 10:19 AM

On my way
512 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Oct 4 2017, 04:06 PM)
then i urge to to share fairly both sides of the stories than just one single bad review video in future

If i am reading in between the line, are you implying that i have made up my mind about this?

i am intrigue but i have not as you may be implying made up my mind, i honesty rather go for full BEV as i don't need such a big SUV for my city commute. it does not suit my needs
I'm not implying anything actually. So there's nothing to read there.

But on your point about implying - In many of your post - you have very passionately placed your position on how you feel about certain brands.

Especially, when you're excited about a certain brand or model, it really shows laugh.gif

So why are you surprised if people assumed you have made up your mind about certain make/s or model/s?

TSEnergyAnalyst
post Oct 5 2017, 10:45 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

QUOTE(zweimmk @ Oct 5 2017, 10:19 AM)
I'm not implying anything actually. So there's nothing to read there.

But on your point about implying - In many of your post - you have very passionately placed your position on how you feel about certain brands.

Especially, when you're excited about a certain brand or model, it really shows laugh.gif

So why are you surprised if people assumed you have made up your mind about certain make/s or model/s?
Ok. Perhaps I have misread you. I have many obsessions with many brands and models. My current thing is EV, any brand would do. Guess I m a playboy when it comes to cars.
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Oct 5 2017, 04:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2017100...noreUserAgent=1

Bad news 1.2million Nissan cars recall after regulators discovered unauthorized inspectors approved vehicle quality. The recall covers all models produced in Nissan factories in Japan and will cost the company 25 billion yen ($222 million).

Less than 48 hours later, Nissan's stock took a hit after the Kyodo news agency reported that the company allegedly falsified inspection documents to make it seem as if authorized inspectors had checked the new vehicles. The shares dropped. A Nissan spokesman declined to comment on the report.
zweimmk
post Oct 5 2017, 07:17 PM

On my way
512 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Oct 5 2017, 04:46 PM)
http://europe.autonews.com/article/2017100...noreUserAgent=1

Bad news 1.2million Nissan cars recall after regulators discovered unauthorized inspectors approved vehicle quality. The recall covers all models produced in Nissan factories in Japan and will cost the company 25 billion yen ($222 million).

Less than 48 hours later, Nissan's stock took a hit after the Kyodo news agency reported that the company allegedly falsified inspection documents to make it seem as if authorized inspectors had checked the new vehicles. The shares dropped. A Nissan spokesman declined to comment on the report.
Corporate greed - it will never go away

Mitsubishi did it in the early 2000s
Takata did it with their airbags
Honda tried to hide about the airbags issue as well
Toyota unintended acceleration
Audi unintended acceleration
VW did it with their diesel engines
GM ignition cover up
Firestone exploding tires

TSEnergyAnalyst
post Jun 4 2018, 08:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

It is official.

Mitsubishi Motors sold about 280,000 vehicles in Southeast Asia last fiscal year, more than Nissan or Renault.

Source:
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/...heast-Asia-push
kausar
post Jun 4 2018, 08:58 AM

On my way
604 posts

bring eclipse here
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Jun 4 2018, 09:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

QUOTE(kausar @ Jun 4 2018, 08:58 AM)
bring eclipse here
Confirmed said the one and only source so far.

http://www.bigwheels.my/2018/01/mitsubishi...d-for-malaysia/

kausar
post Jun 5 2018, 12:41 PM

On my way
604 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Jun 4 2018, 09:30 AM)

hope its price is on par with hrv
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Jun 5 2018, 06:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

QUOTE(kausar @ Jun 5 2018, 12:41 PM)
hope its price is on par with hrv
I think not
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Jun 6 2018, 11:14 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

Mitsubishi Motors has revealed plans to build plug-in hybrid vehicles in Thailand.

The Japanese automaker says it's gearing up to meet growing demand for eco-friendly vehicles in Southeast Asia. The company is also considering building purely electric vehicles locally.

Mitsubishi Motors CEO Osamu Masuko said, "Environmental issues require immediate attention in emerging countries. We believe electric cars will gain traction in ASEAN countries faster than expected."

Gasoline-powered cars continue to dominate the Thai market. But the government has been offering big tax breaks to carmakers to boost local output of eco-friendly vehicles.

BMW has already started doing so. Toyota also has a hybrid vehicle assembly plant in the country.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20180605_36/

TSEnergyAnalyst
post Jun 6 2018, 11:14 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/news/1...en-ev-programme
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Jun 9 2018, 01:45 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

Mitsubishi Motors targets Southeast Asia as growth 'weapon'
Automaker says region is key to its role in Renault-Nissan alliance

HIROSHI KOTANI and REI NAKAFUJI, Nikkei staff writers
June 08, 2018 12:51 JST

BANGKOK/TOKYO -- Mitsubishi Motors has identified the Southeast Asian market as the key to successfully establishing itself within its alliance with Renault and Nissan Motor.

The company is reinforcing its presence in the region, and expects to set a record for unit sales for the first time in six years in fiscal 2018.

Southeast Asia now accounts for nearly half of the automaker's consolidated operating profit.

Mitsubishi Motors joined the Renault-Nissan alliance a year and a half ago in the aftermath of a scandal involving rigged fuel-economy data. If it is to play a prominent role in the alliance, the company needs to continue growing in the Southeast Asian market, where its French and Japanese partners have struggled to compete.

The company’s Thai unit, which was founded in 1987, on June 4 marked the cumulative production of 5 million vehicles. "Our Southeast Asian business is a weapon enabling us to contribute to the tripartite alliance," said Osamu Masuko, CEO of the Japanese automaker. "We will take the initiative in expanding operations in this region."

The Xpander minivan released in September has been a huge hit in Indonesia. Designed to look like a sport utility vehicle but with three rows of seats, the model is expected to help the automaker more than double its sales in the country to 137,000 units in fiscal 2018 from fiscal 2016.

About 70% of advance orders for the Xpander have been made by people who already drive other models, according to one of its dealers in Jakarta.

Sales are also increasing in Thailand, and Mitsubishi plans to sell 310,000 units in Southeast Asia in fiscal 2018, up 14% from the previous year. That figure is three times higher than the automaker’s sales in its home market and accounts for 25% of its global total.

Mazda Motor, a rival in terms of global unit sales, by comparison, relies on the region for 7% of worldwide sales.

In addition, Mitsubishi Motors is expected to post nearly 50% of 110 billion yen ($1 billion) in group operating profit from the Southeast Asian market in fiscal 2018. In contrast, the automaker is forecast to incur an operating loss in Japan for the fourth consecutive year due to high fixed costs.

Large pickup trucks are uncommon in Japan, but form the foundation of the company's earnings in Southeast Asia, where road surfaces can be uneven.

While many automakers are competing in the region's passenger car market, Toyota Motor, Isuzu Motors, Ford Motor and Mitsubishi Motors enjoy stable earnings in the pickup segment. Model changeovers tend to be made every eight to 10 years, a longer period than for passenger cars, which enables manufactures to post steady profits.

Manufacturing pickups requires a different factory setup than passenger cars. Mitsubishi consolidated the production of its pickup trucks in Thailand in 1995 and accelerated exports from the country following the depreciation of the baht amid the 1997 Asian financial crisis. It now ships its products to 120 markets from Thailand and conducts part of its development work there.

Financial difficulties have forced the company to stop manufacturing in Australia and the U.S. It maintains operations in Russia but has pulled out of the rest of Europe. The Thai unit, which is capable of producing 420,000 vehicles per year, is its largest overseas production base and has a particular strength in pickup trucks and SUVs.

The automaker also operates plants in Indonesia and the Philippines. It has increased production in the latter since acquiring a facility from Ford in 2015, reinforcing local production of its Mirage small passenger cars. In the January-April period, it held a 17.6% share of new car sales in the country, trailing only Toyota.

The company has been widening its dealership networks in Indonesia and the Philippines with support from trading houses such as Mitsubishi Corp. and Sojitz.

Confidence in the Mitsubishi brand has not suffered from the data falsification scandal as much in Southeast Asia as it has in Japan.

But despite the strong earnings, Mitsubishi Motors is far from a regional leader. In 2017, it ranked fifth in terms of market share in Southeast Asia’s three largest markets with 6%. Toyota and its wholly owned subsidiary Daihatsu Motor are by far the dominant players in the region.

Masuko said on June 4 that the company would seek approval to start local production of plug-in hybrid vehicles from the Thai government later this year.

As Nissan and Renault’s sales in Southeast Asia remain weak, the addition of Mitsubishi Motors to the alliance will help it establish a stronger position, said Carlos Ghosn, chairman of all three companies. Ghosn has set a target of making the alliance one of the three dominant forces in the region.

Following Nissan's investment in Mitsubishi Motors, Ghosn looked at ways to integrate operations. In Thailand, the two companies have started joint delivery of vehicles to dealerships and will soon do the same in Indonesia and the Philippines. They have also started sharing a road test center in Thailand.

In a further effort to find synergies, Mitsubishi will supply the Xpander to Nissan under the latter's brand from 2019. There is also a plan to start using shared chassis for pickup trucks in 2021.

The Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliance sold more than 10 million vehicles worldwide in 2017, behind only Volkswagen. But with Ghosn eager to fill the hole in his map of global markets, Mitsubishi needs to earn its keep as a member of the alliance.

An executive at Mitsubishi Corp., which has been cooperating with Mitsubishi Motors in production and marketing in Indonesia and elsewhere in Southeast Asia, said there were expectations that the region would begin making an even greater contribution to the automaker's profits.

In fiscal 2019, Mitsubishi Motors aims to sell 1.3 million vehicles globally and log an operating profit of 150 billion yen, setting a new high for the first time in four years.

The Southeast Asian market will be key to Mitsubishi achieving its mid-term goal.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/...s-growth-weapon
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Aug 4 2018, 01:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/what...m-ar182036.html

TSEnergyAnalyst
post Aug 5 2018, 07:16 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releas...al-dealerships/

New cooperate identity for 5,000 dealers worldwide-------"Drive your ambition" to be completed by next 6 years...

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/07/i...bishi-upmarket/

https://premium.goauto.com.au/mitsubishi-reveals-its-new-ci/

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: Aug 5 2018, 07:24 AM
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Aug 18 2018, 10:59 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/news/1...beat-on-vietnam
6UE5T
post Aug 20 2018, 03:27 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(kausar @ Jun 4 2018, 08:58 AM)
bring eclipse here
QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Jun 4 2018, 09:30 AM)

Ugh...no thanks. I want the Evo back please!
Quazacolt
post Aug 21 2018, 02:01 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Aug 5 2018, 07:16 AM)
New cooperate identity for 5,000 dealers worldwide-------"Drive your ambition" to be completed by next 6 years...

Ambition, on a f ing SUV? ptuih

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0184sec    0.26    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:15 PM