Huawei P10 Plus Image Quality Rather Poor

views

Everdying
post May 30 2017, 06:05 PM

Two is One and One is None.
Group Icon
Staff
30,688 posts

QUOTE(davidletterboyz @ May 30 2017, 11:07 AM)
No? Maybe I remember wrongly lol. I don't have it anymore.
ya, none.
i still have my 808 lying around, tho i dont use it much anymore.
sniper on the roof
post May 30 2017, 09:29 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,414 posts

Conclusion ..all photos from phones gets overcooked period

Everdying
post May 31 2017, 08:37 AM

Two is One and One is None.
Group Icon
Staff
30,688 posts

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ May 30 2017, 09:29 PM)
thats consumerism for u.
its the same with P&S cameras where they boost saturation or certain color tones to make pics more appealing.
heck that even happens in some DSLR models during jpg processing.
so phones are just following the precedence set by the others that have come before...
TSryder_78
post May 31 2017, 08:57 AM

Regular
1,558 posts

QUOTE(davidletterboyz @ May 29 2017, 05:16 PM)
I had owned 808PV, Lumia 1020, S7 Edge and now P10. Here is my summary (from photography point of view only):

808PV:
Pros: The best image quality, proper Carl Zeiss lens' smooth bokeh and depth of field, fast mechanical shutter, lossless zoom, accurate colour and metering, good UI/usability, great mic quality (still one of the best today), decent high ISO IQ after super sampling/downsizing, and damn powerful XENON FLASH! Pro mode is a proper manual mode (i.e. like shutter priority mode in camera). Almost missed this one out: Built-in ND filter!
Cons: No OIS, slow autofocus, min. focus distance is high (due to big sensor size), lower dynamic range than today's top end phone,slow image saving, native pixel size is small and quite noisy if you shoot in full resolution.

I sold my Fujifilm X100 after I got 808PV because I left the X100 at home lol. 808PV was that good.

Lumia 1020:
Pros: Magnetic based OIS is superb. Basically everything like the 808PV but with toned down advantages due to reduced sensor size and hence the thickness.
Cons: Yellow tint colour due to the OS API/JPEG. JPEG and MPEG artifacts. Lens at corners are very soft. Lose Xenon flash. Still a respectable camera phone though.

Samsung S7 Edge:
Pros: Great low light ability, great noise reduction algorithm in JPEG, ultra fast auto focus, and good dynamic range. JPEG output is processed towards sharp, clean, and saturated technical photo kind (good for JPEG shooters who don't PP). Some view this as a disadvantage. Pixel performance is better than those two Nokia's here. CMOS sensor has come a long way since 808PV and has improved a lot since then. However, the improvement is only limited to sensor level. It still cannot fight physics: lens and sensor size advantage.
Cons: Metering is off (tends to expose dark scene). Not so great for those who like accurate colour.

Huawei P10:
Pros: A peek of digital Leica trademark colour/tone (does not mean accurate though. Leica does not pursue that). Monochrome is fun. Metering mode can be selected. Wide range of shutter speed.
Cons: To be honest, technically the weakest camera among the phones I compare here. Basically we just buy the Leica software/optimization. The OIS is not top end. I have no solid data yet but it seems not able to stabilise beyond 0.5s (handheld) consistently. The monochrome sensor seems to lower the ISO by ~40%. But even that, it has hard time catching S7E/S8 in low light. The aperture mode is virtual, which I don't really fancy. The Pro mode is not full manual like Shutter Priority in DSLR. The ISO does not compensate properly even if you put Auto mode. The liveview cannot show the expected exposure in certain condition. You have to guess it sometimes.
Not much difference using Auto mode because they prioritize faster shutter speed instead of dropping the ISO. 33% more light for f/1.8 but it's a wasted opportunity.
THanks for the comprehensive but detailed and useful post. Are you in the mobile phone business? You seem to change phones quite often. Just kidding.

Your experience with the Nokia Pureview 808 corroborates with my findings. Although I did not compare with the Fujifilm X100, I did compare it with the Fuji X20 and the image quality of the 808 is higher level than the X20, better clarity, detail and definition especially in low light. The Fuji only won slightly with the colours - nicer and more pleasant colours. In clarity and performance in low light, the Nokia 808 has little peers when compared to most higher-end compacts with smaller sensors, only losing out to those with larger sensors such as Sony RX100.

I am not going to repeat most of the points you have said about 808 but I do agree with most of the points. Good observation.

As for the Samsung S7 Edge and Huawei P10, interesting that the P10 registered the worst performance considering all the rave reviews it had got on the internet Somehow the results speak for themselves. My benchmark is the 808 and for this same reason the Huawei P10's photo quality is poor to my standards, and somehow your impressions mirrored mine as well. That is good to know.

As for the Samsung S7 Edge, I have often read about the stellar image quality from this phone which is touted to be among the best if not the best .Guess there may some truth behind the hype (or truth). It's good to know that the Samsung premium phones *S7 and S8 may be among the best phones to consider is quality of photos is top priority. THe price of these Samsung phones is on the high side above RM3k (or is it close to RM4k??), something which I wouldn't spend for a smartphone. When I bought the Nokia Pureview 808, new it was only RM1.7k thereabouts. It's a solid phone but alas... Symbian has no more place by today's standards.
TSryder_78
post May 31 2017, 09:00 AM

Regular
1,558 posts

QUOTE(Everdying @ May 30 2017, 06:05 PM)
ya, none.
i still have my 808 lying around, tho i dont use it much anymore.
Me too. I only use the 808 when there is a special need or occasion to have high quality photos. As as smartphone it is severely lacking in so many ways, especially the social platform and the surfing of internet. Photography is always secondary for a phone, hence the 808 won't fit in the crowd anymore with its slow and sluggish operation.

TSryder_78
post May 31 2017, 09:04 AM

Regular
1,558 posts

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ May 30 2017, 09:29 PM)
Not all phones. Most phones "overcook" the photos with processing to boost image quality, mainly to compensate for the smallish sensor so that the photo will look more impressive with saturated colours etc. The Pureview 808 has the most natural colours, in my experience when compared to most smartphones. Close to if not equal to DSLR quality with very little processing. Some of the cheaper compacts may "overcook" the photos more than the Nokia Pureview 808.
sniper on the roof
post May 31 2017, 11:27 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,414 posts

QUOTE(ryder_78 @ May 31 2017, 08:57 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

QUOTE(ryder_78 @ May 31 2017, 09:04 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
I've no experience with the 808 but with the Samsung S7, its overcooking do well in some instances while completely falls apart in other.

So happens I took these 2 seconds apart yesterday.

S7 Edge

user posted image

M43 (Panasonic GX7+20mm f1.7)

user posted imageP1350206 by vmwt, on Flickr
sniper on the roof
post May 31 2017, 11:37 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,414 posts

QUOTE(Everdying @ May 31 2017, 08:37 AM)
thats consumerism for u.
its the same with P&S cameras where they boost saturation or certain color tones to make pics more appealing.
heck that even happens in some DSLR models during jpg processing.
so phones are just following the precedence set by the others that have come before...
Saturation is one thing but clipping blacks to give a more constrasty appearance and overkill edge sharpening is another thing altogether.
davidletterboyz
post May 31 2017, 12:03 PM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(ryder_78 @ May 31 2017, 08:57 AM)
THanks for the comprehensive but detailed and useful post. Are you in the mobile phone business? You seem to change phones quite often. Just kidding.

Your experience with the Nokia Pureview 808 corroborates with my findings. Although I did not compare with the Fujifilm X100, I did compare it with the Fuji X20 and the image quality of the 808 is higher level than the X20, better clarity, detail and definition especially in low light. The Fuji only won slightly with the colours - nicer and more pleasant colours. In clarity and performance in low light, the Nokia 808 has little peers when compared to most higher-end compacts with smaller sensors, only losing out to those with larger sensors such as Sony RX100.

I am not going to repeat most of the points you have said about 808 but I do agree with most of the points. Good observation.

As for the Samsung S7 Edge and Huawei P10, interesting that the P10 registered the worst performance considering all the rave reviews it had got on the internet Somehow the results speak for themselves. My benchmark is the 808 and for this same reason the Huawei P10's photo quality is poor to my standards, and somehow your impressions mirrored mine as well. That is good to know.

As for the Samsung S7 Edge, I have often read about the stellar image quality from this phone which is touted to be among the best if not the best .Guess there may some truth behind the hype (or truth). It's good to know that the Samsung premium phones *S7 and S8 may be among the best phones to consider is quality of photos is top priority. THe price of these Samsung phones is on the high side above RM3k (or is it close to RM4k??), something which I wouldn't spend for a smartphone. When I bought the Nokia Pureview 808, new it was only RM1.7k thereabouts. It's a solid phone but alas... Symbian has no more place by today's standards.
Haha no lah. I'm just an enthusiast. There are a lot of forummers here who own way more phones than me. tongue.gif

Oh, I mean I had the 808PV all the time with me while my Fujifilm X100 was sitting at home. The first month I got my 808PV, I shot hundreds of photos while my X100 was less than 10? It didn't make sense to keep it anymore. Image quality wise, of course X100 is much better due to the APSC sensor, especially low light.

I do not have the S7E anymore. IMHO, the image quality is almost matching Lumia 1020 downsized image. It's strength is low light high ISO but the metering is off when it's dark.

P10 got rave reviews due to the Leica brand. The colour tone and monochrome mode are really nice (to me). As long as one does not pixel peep, it's fine. But to say it has the best camera, technically is wrong IMHO because the image is quite noisy in low light. Even that, a resized image from 808PV is still cleaner and sharper.

FarhanAxiq
post Jul 17 2017, 06:26 PM

14 posts

QUOTE(davidletterboyz @ May 29 2017, 05:16 PM)
I had owned 808PV, Lumia 1020, S7 Edge and now P10. Here is my summary (from photography point of view only):

Lumia 1020:
Pros: Magnetic based OIS is superb. Basically everything like the 808PV but with toned down advantages due to reduced sensor size and hence the thickness. Full manual mode. Can select shutter speed and ISO and it will act like shutter speed priority mode in DSLR.
Cons: Yellow tint colour due to the OS API/JPEG. JPEG and MPEG artifacts. Lens at corners are very soft. Lose Xenon flash. Still a respectable camera phone though.

1020 have xenon flash tho
I still have one as my desk ornament

davidletterboyz
post Jul 17 2017, 08:58 PM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(FarhanAxiq @ Jul 17 2017, 06:26 PM)
1020 have xenon flash tho
I still have one as my desk ornament
Ah yes. You're right. However 1020's Xenon is not as powerful and had colour accuracy issue.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/it...eView_and_X.php

Keep the 1020. It's going to be rare.
FarhanAxiq
post Jul 17 2017, 09:06 PM

14 posts

QUOTE(davidletterboyz @ Jul 17 2017, 08:58 PM)
Ah yes. You're right. However 1020's Xenon is not as powerful and had colour accuracy issue.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/it...eView_and_X.php

Keep the 1020. It's going to be rare.
I know, 1020 take great picture, too bad that it is really slow, my 808 took picture faster than it (still nowhere fast as today modern phone)and more natural than the 1020.

That being said, 808 almost match or sometime better than p&s in term of image and built in mic
davidletterboyz
post Jul 17 2017, 09:13 PM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(FarhanAxiq @ Jul 17 2017, 09:06 PM)
I know, 1020 take great picture, too bad that it is really slow, my 808 took picture faster than it (still nowhere fast as today modern phone)and more natural than the 1020.

That being said, 808 almost match or sometime better than p&s in term of image and built in mic
Yup. The built in mic is absolutely superb. High decible also no issue. Recent top end phones just got it such features. Took them so long!

808 is definitely better than PnS at that time. But nowadays a top end compact mirror less is better but very expensive lol.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0123sec    0.24    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:54 AM