4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Astro byond pvr using centralized dish

views

TSskycrew
post Feb 27 2019, 04:30 PM

-sKy-
831 posts

QUOTE(zenwarlord @ Feb 27 2019, 04:09 PM)
Single cable with with stacker destacker or mux demux possible?

In fact i did called technician & pay RM50 but nothing solve, pissed me off.
stacker destacker still required 2 LNB.

user posted image

since your house is landed, why dont you buy dual LNB ?

https://www.lazada.com.my/products/astro-di...03-s422938.html

This post has been edited by skycrew: Feb 27 2019, 04:32 PM
joshhd
post Feb 27 2019, 05:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(skycrew @ Feb 27 2019, 04:30 PM)

user posted image

Astro no longer provide stacker destacker for PVR installations. So we can just forget about this solution.
joshhd
post Feb 27 2019, 05:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(zenwarlord @ Feb 27 2019, 03:50 PM)
joshhd & all experts here  rclxms.gif
I've been reading all this Astro issue for few days and I'e read alot of your post as well. However I'm still not able to solve my issue and need some of your expertise to help me.

Infrastructure:
1) Decoder is PVR & installed on landed property (2nd decoder and installed at different address, calling Astro to help is not possible, too much hassle).  biggrin.gif
2) Dish is from old Byond and is single LNB and the house is single coax cable concealed inside wall (1 to downstairs living room, 1 to upstairs living room, 1 to Master bedroom)
3) Current connection, 1 coax to dish then split to 3 coax for above location. Anyway I'm only using 1 cable for downstairs living room)

Problem
1) When watching HD channel such as 101, 309, 431, 433 frequently having blank screen & it's kind of like blinking. 834 no problem, some other channel not sure.
2) I've installed splitter to the decoder but problem still not solved.
3) Diagnostic on channel 309, 431, 433 it always shows only 1 tuner with signal strength around 40-50%, another tuner shows 0%
4) Tried adjusting the dish (followed joshhd instructions) max signal strength for these few channel is 40-50%.
5) 834, 332 shows tuner 1 & 2 both having 65%

What could be the problem? Any solutions for my problem?

All I want is no blinking during watching those channel and able to record PVR while watching other channel. Please help.  thumbup.gif

By standard installation, as long your dish alignment and cabling are properly aligned and installed and especially no splitters are used, you should get above 70-80% Strength reading, as long it's not lower than 69%.

It seems to me the main culprit could be the splitter. 1 splits into 3 outputs or more, could degrade the signal strength.
And your signal strength is 40-50%, it is considered low and some slightly thick clouds in your area could become no signal and unstable signal, which explains why you experience intermittent blackouts.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Another issue could be the cable... Is the cable still in good condition? Is the F connector properly and neatly connected to your Astro box and satellite dish? If you suspect the cable is more than 10+ years already, maybe you can consider replace and lay new cabling? Satellite TV, including Astro, uses the common RG-6 coaxial cable.

You mention that you use Single LNB, I assume your satellite dish there, you're using the normal type of Universal LNB which has only 1 output, and not the SatCR type, am I correct?

So that one cable to your living room, you use splitter to make it into 2 outputs to be connected to your PVR's Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 port respectively. And then, sometimes Tuner 2 has signal, sometimes not, is that correct?

You try this: home>Settings>Installation Settings>Default PIN is 0000>Satellite Settings
Change the Input Source setting from LNB to DCSS, then press OK, then OK again. See if you can get signals on both Tuner 1 and Tuner 2. Press OK to finish.
If you can get signals on both Tuner 1 and Tuner 2, then you can have the functionality of record 2 channels simultaneously.

As for the low Strength reading, check the condition of the cable connection from satellite dish to your Astro box first. If replacing new cabling is not a suitable option for you, you might wanna get an in-line amplifier for satellite TV and connect it in between the connection from your satellite dish to the splitter you use it to split into 3 rooms like you mentioned earlier. The diagram shall look like this:
user posted image
*Ignore that big size satellite dish. Just assume that is your Astro dish.
zenwarlord
post Feb 28 2019, 08:35 PM

Transmogrifier
1,193 posts

QUOTE(skycrew @ Feb 27 2019, 04:30 PM)

user posted image

How should I do the connection of dual LNB? Meaning both outlet of LNB then joint to single cable by using T joint?
zenwarlord
post Feb 28 2019, 09:15 PM

Transmogrifier
1,193 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Feb 27 2019, 05:54 PM)
By standard installation, as long your dish alignment and cabling are properly aligned and installed and especially no splitters are used, you should get above 70-80% Strength reading, as long it's not lower than 69%.

It seems to me the main culprit could be the splitter. 1 splits into 3 outputs or more, could degrade the signal strength.
And your signal strength is 40-50%, it is considered low and some slightly thick clouds in your area could become no signal and unstable signal, which explains why you experience intermittent blackouts.
What is your recommendation on splitter portion?

Another issue could be the cable... Is the cable still in good condition? Is the F connector properly and neatly connected to your Astro box and satellite dish? If you suspect the cable is more than 10+ years already, maybe you can consider replace and lay new cabling? Satellite TV, including Astro, uses the common RG-6 coaxial cable.
Is it normal for channel like 309, 431 & 433 only running with single tuner signal? I noticed these few channel only 1 tuner showing signal.
My house is pretty new and it's like 5 years old thus i assume all the coax cable still in good condition. Furthermore all coax cable are concealed inside wall so replacing them is not possible for now.

You mention that you use Single LNB, I assume your satellite dish there, you're using the normal type of Universal LNB which has only 1 output, and not the SatCR type, am I correct?

So that one cable to your living room, you use splitter to make it into 2 outputs to be connected to your PVR's Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 port respectively. And then, sometimes Tuner 2 has signal, sometimes not, is that correct?

Yes you are right, i'm using single LNB not the SatCR (dual LNB) type. And yes my living room cable is using 2 way splitter (5-2300mhz) and 2 output connected to PVR tuner 1 & 2. Yes correct sometime tuner 2 no signal and when got signal it's only 40-45%. When I'm using normal T joint it has the same problem.

You try this: home>Settings>Installation Settings>Default PIN is 0000>Satellite Settings
Change the Input Source setting from LNB to DCSS, then press OK, then OK again. See if you can get signals on both Tuner 1 and Tuner 2. Press OK to finish.
If you can get signals on both Tuner 1 and Tuner 2, then you can have the functionality of record 2 channels simultaneously.
When I set to DCSS it shows both tuner 1 & 2 with signal around 60%, but STB diagnostics shows Tuner 1 Signal Strength = 65%, Tuner 2 = 0% and no image out even after reboot.

As for the low Strength reading, check the condition of the cable connection from satellite dish to your Astro box first. If replacing new cabling is not a suitable option for you, you might wanna get an in-line amplifier for satellite TV and connect it in between the connection from your satellite dish to the splitter you use it to split into 3 rooms like you mentioned earlier. The diagram shall look like this:
user posted image
*Ignore that big size satellite dish. Just assume that is your Astro dish.
Ok i wil try this route, just out of curiosity will give better result if i install another in-line amplifier just before it goes into tuner 2? Or basically does 2 in-line amplifier helps?

joshhd
post Mar 1 2019, 02:25 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(zenwarlord @ Feb 28 2019, 09:15 PM)
What is your recommendation on splitter portion?
Is it normal for channel like 309, 431 & 433 only running with single tuner signal? I noticed these few channel only 1 tuner showing signal.
My house is pretty new and it's like 5 years old thus i assume all the coax cable still in good condition. Furthermore all coax cable are concealed inside wall so replacing them is not possible for now.
Yes you are right, i'm using single LNB not the SatCR (dual LNB) type. And yes my living room cable is using 2 way splitter (5-2300mhz) and 2 output connected to PVR tuner 1 & 2. Yes correct sometime tuner 2 no signal and when got signal it's only 40-45%. When I'm using normal T joint it has the same problem.
When I set to DCSS it shows both tuner 1 & 2 with signal around 60%, but STB diagnostics shows Tuner 1 Signal Strength = 65%, Tuner 2 = 0% and no image out even after reboot.
Ok i wil try this route, just out of curiosity will give better result if i install another in-line amplifier just before it goes into tuner 2? Or basically does 2 in-line amplifier helps?

Try connect the in-line amplifier for satellite TV in between the connection from your satellite dish to the splitter. The signal strength shall improves.

Because you use splitter, it will cause signal conflict in some HD channels that is transmitted from higher Ku band range. I've explained this similar question 2 years ago. You can read from here: https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=83184507
or https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=83215394

Based on what you said, it seems that the problem is you use 2 splitters in between the connection from the satellite dish to your Astro PVR at living room. This, definitely will degrade the signal a lot. In-line amplifier would help in this situation.

You try this. At the splitter where you split 1 into 2 cables in your living room for your PVR, you disconnect the splitter. Connect the only one satellite cable from your living room's wall socket into your PVR's Tuner 1 port. Tuner 2 leave it unconnected. Make sure the Input Source is set to DCSS.
Check your Tuner 1 and Tuner 2's Strength reading, including after reboot, and record 2 HD channels simultaneously, the ones you previously experience 0% signal on Tuner 2 ones, to see if the issue still persists.

Still the same and doesn't solve your problem? There's some option you can consider:
1) Get a Quad LNB (4 outputs from your LNB, not by splitter), and lay 3 new additional cables (on top of your existing cables, so makes it 4 cables in total) and ensure all of the cables have a dedicated cable connection from the Quad LNB to the respective Astro boxes, no splitters used.
Like for your living room, find ways to get the second cable into the living room, so that you can connect 2 dedicated cables for your Astro PVR.
If you can't touch the existing concealed cabling, how about lay new cables without concealing it? Find ways to hide it to making it look less obvious.

2) Upgrade your Single LNB to SatCR (may costs RM50-RM150 including installation, do ask Astro to confirm about this). 1 SatCR output can support up to 4 Tuners, or translates into 2 Astro PVR boxes simultaneously OR 4 Astro HD boxes simultaneously, OR 1 Astro PVR box and 2 Astro HD boxes simultaneously.
So that your living room's PVR box, you don't need to use splitter to split one cable into 2 cables anymore, as SatCR connects only 1 cable (the same cable one cable initially available in your living room, without splitter) to your PVR's Tuner 1 port, Tuner 2 left it unconnected, then it will functions as 2 Tuners and will not have conflict between SD and HD channels.

3) Upgrade to Astro IPTV if your area/premise can subscribe to Maxis Fibre or TIME Fibre, so that no need to headache on those technical cabling, LNB, SD/HD channel conflict by using splitter stuff. What is Astro IPTV? It allows you to be able to watch Astro without rain disruption as it uses Internet connection rather than satellite. HD-PVR service (worth RM25/month) are already included too, so no need to add more money to enjoy HD and PVR services.
The thing to headache for Astro IPTV are, you need LAN wired cable connection to be connected to maximum 2 PVR boxes in your home. Astro IPTV will only work on PVR boxes, hence HD boxes must be upgraded to a PVR box unless you want that particular HD box to work as satellite mode (by Multiroom).

Also, you must expect and accept that any broadband revisions done by Maxis or TIME Fibre's own broadband packages in the future does not mean Astro IPTV must follow immediately, regardless if the speed and price difference are huge. Example now you get 30Mbps for RM89/month, but in the future let say Maxis/TIME Fibre offers 1Gbps for RM89/month, don't expect Astro IPTV will immediately follow to revise. When that happens, and you realise your 24 months contract haven't over, that time you cry also no point cuz you can't cancel Astro IPTV service until your contract is over, and you complain to MCMC due to unfair pricing are likely also no point.
zenwarlord
post Mar 1 2019, 10:37 PM

Transmogrifier
1,193 posts

I removed the living room splitter thn connect the single cable into into Tuner 1 & left the Tuner 2 open & DCSS selected to VL-10732.

The signal strength show 70% but all channels are not viewable. Means all channels blanks with SCNA & yellow satellite icon appeared it says signal unavailable. Ive tried all entry point in DCSS, still same. Could this be the decoder problem?

I probably will try option 2 by changing to SatCR, does the satellite need readjustment ?
joshhd
post Mar 1 2019, 10:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(zenwarlord @ Mar 1 2019, 10:37 PM)
I removed the living room splitter thn connect the single cable into into Tuner 1 & left the Tuner 2 open & DCSS selected to VL-10732.

The signal strength show 70% but all channels are not viewable. Means all channels blanks with SCNA & yellow satellite icon appeared it says signal unavailable. Ive tried all entry point in DCSS, still same. Could this be the decoder problem?

I probably will try option 2 by changing to SatCR, does the satellite need readjustment ?

The 70% Strength, is it for Tuner 1 or Tuner 2 or both?

Try change Input Source back to "LNB", and then you try power off the other 2 Astro HD boxes in other rooms of your home first, then you reboot your Astro PVR box in your living room one, and then change Input Source to DCSS, and see if you can watch all channels without conflicts. See how it goes first.

Changing to SatCR doesn't need dish alignment. Just change the existing Single LNB to SatCR only.
TSskycrew
post Mar 2 2019, 12:03 AM

-sKy-
831 posts

QUOTE(zenwarlord @ Mar 1 2019, 10:37 PM)

DCSS source need DCSS LNB.
zenwarlord
post Mar 2 2019, 10:10 AM

Transmogrifier
1,193 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Mar 1 2019, 10:59 PM)
The 70% Strength, is it for Tuner 1 or Tuner 2 or both?

Try change Input Source back to "LNB", and then you try power off the other 2 Astro HD boxes in other rooms of your home first, then you reboot your Astro PVR box in your living room one, and then change Input Source to DCSS, and see if you can watch all channels without conflicts. See how it goes first.

Changing to SatCR doesn't need dish alignment. Just change the existing Single LNB to SatCR only.
My house currently only have 1 decoder. Only Tuner 1 is getting 70% signal, Tuner 2 0%.
zenwarlord
post Mar 2 2019, 10:13 AM

Transmogrifier
1,193 posts

QUOTE(skycrew @ Mar 2 2019, 12:03 AM)
DCSS source need DCSS LNB.
U means need select DCSS entry point? I did try DCSS 11222 still cant view.
joshhd
post Mar 2 2019, 12:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(zenwarlord @ Mar 2 2019, 10:10 AM)
My house currently only have 1 decoder. Only Tuner 1 is getting 70% signal, Tuner 2 0%.

I thought you said your Astro dish splits into 3 ports?
(1 to downstairs living room, 1 to upstairs living room, 1 to Master bedroom)

I think just contact Astro and tell them you want a SatCR LNB for your home. Immediately solves all your headache.
They'll assign an installer to your home, which may cost RM65 now for their "Technical Service Fee".
SatCR itself costs RM50 (subsidised by Astro), but this price was when I get by SatCR myself back in 2016, but I'm not sure if Astro got increase the SatCR price or not. Do double confirm with Astro about it.
zenwarlord
post Mar 6 2019, 09:39 AM

Transmogrifier
1,193 posts

ok thanks for all the replies
joshhd
post May 17 2019, 08:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

Good news to all Astro centralised dish customers where HD was "not fully supported".

If previously you are unable to watch some HD channels due to your building's centralised dish system that is "not fully support HD", well now you are able to tune to all HD channels without satellite signal conflicts anymore. Meaning, you won't be seeing the "Services currently not available" message, as Astro has recently migrated all HD channels from Measat 3a to Measat 3.

If you still get the "Services currently not available" message even if there is no rain on some HD channels, do leave your Astro box to standby mode to allow it to perform background latest channel list update.

However, 2 Astro UHD channels (CH844 and 845) is still on Measat 3a satellite as usual.

Technical info (Ignore if you don't understand):

smwah
post Jul 23 2019, 04:14 PM

Glad to be Here
Group Icon
Elite
1,701 posts

Hi guys I want to relocate my PVR from master room to guest room. Can I just use the social extension joint to pull the cable to other room. Will the signal drop? Length maybe additional 15 m from existing length.
TSskycrew
post Jul 23 2019, 09:54 PM

-sKy-
831 posts

QUOTE(smwah @ Jul 23 2019, 04:14 PM)
Hi guys I want to relocate my PVR from master room to guest room. Can I just use the social extension joint to pull the cable to other room. Will the signal drop? Length maybe additional 15 m from existing length.
will drop a bit but still ok
1SEN
post Dec 18 2019, 11:56 AM

3 posts

user posted image

Anyone know how to setup astro using centralise dish?
I try to plug the middle point but no signal at all
joshhd
post Dec 18 2019, 12:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(1SEN @ Dec 18 2019, 11:56 AM)
user posted image

Anyone know how to setup astro using centralise dish?
I try to plug the middle point but no signal at all

You're using PVR box? Make sure you connect to your PVR's Tuner 1 port.

Try this:
Press home > Settings>Installation Settings>Satellite Settings

Try change the Input Type to dCSS and see if you can get signal.
1SEN
post Dec 18 2019, 09:04 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Dec 18 2019, 12:15 PM)
You're using PVR box? Make sure you connect to your PVR's Tuner 1 port.

Try this:
Press home > Settings>Installation Settings>Satellite Settings

Try change the Input Type to dCSS and see if you can get signal.
Now is new installation status. Even I choose dcss also no signal😭
joshhd
post Dec 18 2019, 09:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(1SEN @ Dec 18 2019, 09:04 PM)
Now is new installation status. Even I choose dcss also no signal😭

Check the cable, make sure it's connected properly. And also the RG6 coaxial cable (the satellite cable used to connect to Astro box) is terminated properly on that F connector.
Any terms you don't know above, just search on Google.

On Satellite Settings, at the Entry Point, make sure it's selected the "01 M3B VL - 10732" option. It is selected that by default, so don't change it.

If still no signal, contact your building management and see if their centralise antenna system are working normally.

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0192sec    0.50    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:23 PM