Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Astro byond pvr using centralized dish

views

TSskycrew
post May 3 2017, 09:51 PM, updated 5y ago

-sKy-
831 posts

Hi,

Is there any device that can boost my signal?

I plugged in single cable directly to the wall only get 36% signal strength and 100% quality.

Since pvr decoder need 2 cables, I bought coax splitter.

After use the splitter both my signal strength become 25%.

Problem is, I unable to play some HD channel.

Any help?
joshhd
post Jun 1 2017, 07:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(skycrew @ May 3 2017, 09:51 PM)
Hi,

Is there any device that can boost my signal?

I plugged in single cable directly to the wall only get 36% signal strength and 100% quality.

Since pvr decoder need 2 cables, I bought coax splitter.

After use the splitter both my signal strength become 25%.

Problem is, I unable to play some HD channel.

Any help?
Have you contacted Astro customer service about this?
Do share to us how do you tell the installer to get your PVR box installed at your premise despite your unit only has 1 satellite port from wall socket. And did the installer advice you anything if you insist to use PVR box despite only has 1 satellite port from wall socket?

Basically, there are no device to "boost satellite signal".
TSskycrew
post Jun 1 2017, 07:21 PM

-sKy-
831 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Jun 1 2017, 07:12 PM)
Have you contacted Astro customer service about this?
Do share to us how do you tell the installer to get your PVR box installed at your premise despite your unit only has 1 satellite port from wall socket. And did the installer advice you anything if you insist to use PVR box despite only has 1 satellite port from wall socket?

Basically, there are no device to "boost satellite signal".
Problem solve. Im using coax splitter and inline amp. From 20% boost to 59%
joshhd
post Jun 1 2017, 09:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(skycrew @ Jun 1 2017, 07:21 PM)
Problem solve. Im using coax splitter and inline amp. From 20% boost to 59%
Oh... In your case, it is a signal amplifier where it is commonly used when the cable is too long away from the dish to the box, or the cable is too old, causing signal to reduce. But, signal amplifier does not boost satellite signal.

But then, using splitter for your PVR will cause tuner conflict between channels fall under low frequency and high frequency.
Low freq = 107xxMHz till 116xxMHz (all SD channels and selected HD channels)
High freq = 117xxMHz till 127xxMHz (selected HD channels only)

Your PVR box can only tune to either low or high freq channels for both Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 simultaneously. Not possible for Tuner 1 in low freq or Tuner 2 in high freq and vice versa.

To know if the channel is under low or high frequency, you can refer by pressing home>Settings>STB Diagnostics, select Tuner tab. For example:
Attached Image

Look at "LIVE [308] : SAT : 10932MHz"
10932MHz is within 107xxMHz-116xxMHz range, so Astro channel 308, which is Quan Jia HD falls under low frequency. You should be able to watch the channels without issues.

So assuming Astro Quan Jia HD is on Tuner 1 and you are watching it as usual. Now you want to record a programme on AXN HD (ch721) in the background while continue watching Quan Jia HD. But eventually you will realise your AXN HD programme has failed to record because AXN HD is under high frequency. The same thing will happen the other way round, where you are watching AXN HD first, while wanting to record Quan Jia HD.

Your PVR box will decide to choose low frequency or high frequency first depending on your viewing. For example now you are already recording your drama on AXN HD on 10.00pm, but on 10.01pm you want to watch Quan Jia HD while letting AXN HD to record in the background. But you will see "Services currently not available" on Quan Jia HD (or any low freq channel), while you are able to tune to AXN HD (or any high freq channels) can watch. So, priority comes first, you choose, either LOW frequency or HIGH frequency at once, only!

In layman terms, if you don't understand what I am saying above, just remember that using splitter will definitely cause tuner conflict between low and frequency channels.

However, if your building itself does not support HD (in layman terms, easier for customer to understand), that also means your building does not support channels that falls under high frequency (in proper, professional term). In this case, you don't need to bother about low or high frequency conflict issue, since you cannot even watch high frequency channels at all.
TSskycrew
post Jun 1 2017, 10:48 PM

-sKy-
831 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Jun 1 2017, 09:57 PM)
Oh... In your case, it is a signal amplifier where it is commonly used when the cable is too long away from the dish to the box, or the cable is too old, causing signal to reduce. But, signal amplifier does not boost satellite signal.

But then, using splitter for your PVR will cause tuner conflict between channels fall under low frequency and high frequency.
Low freq = 107xxMHz till 116xxMHz  (all SD channels and selected HD channels)
High freq = 117xxMHz till 127xxMHz (selected HD channels only)

Your PVR box can only tune to either low or high freq channels for both Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 simultaneously. Not possible for Tuner 1 in low freq or Tuner 2 in high freq and vice versa.

To know if the channel is under low or high frequency, you can refer by pressing home>Settings>STB Diagnostics, select Tuner tab. For example:
Attached Image

Look at "LIVE [308] : SAT : 10932MHz"
10932MHz is within 107xxMHz-116xxMHz range, so Astro channel 308, which is Quan Jia HD falls under low frequency. You should be able to watch the channels without issues.

So assuming Astro Quan Jia HD is on Tuner 1 and you are watching it as usual. Now you want to record a programme on AXN HD (ch721) in the background while continue watching Quan Jia HD. But eventually you will realise your AXN HD programme has failed to record because AXN HD is under high frequency. The same thing will happen the other way round, where you are watching AXN HD first, while wanting to record Quan Jia HD.

Your PVR box will decide to choose low frequency or high frequency first depending on your viewing. For example now you are already recording your drama on AXN HD on 10.00pm, but on 10.01pm you want to watch Quan Jia HD while letting AXN HD to record in the background. But you will see "Services currently not available" on Quan Jia HD (or any low freq channel), while you are able to tune to AXN HD (or any high freq channels) can watch. So, priority comes first, you choose, either LOW frequency or HIGH frequency at once, only!

In layman terms, if you don't understand what I am saying above, just remember that using splitter will definitely cause tuner conflict between low and frequency channels.

However, if your building itself does not support HD (in layman terms, easier for customer to understand), that also means your building does not support channels that falls under high frequency (in proper, professional term). In this case, you don't need to bother about low or high frequency conflict issue, since you cannot even watch high frequency channels at all.
Thanks for your detail explanation.

If I choose LNB as the input, I will have this tuner conflict. Choosing DCSS as the input solve my tuner conflict issue. Im able to record 2 HD channel or 2 SD channel simultaneously.

joshhd
post Jun 2 2017, 12:12 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(skycrew @ Jun 1 2017, 10:48 PM)

If I choose LNB as the input, I will have this tuner conflict. Choosing DCSS as the input solve my tuner conflict issue. Im able to record 2 HD channel or 2 SD channel simultaneously.
Can you share a picture of your splitter that you use?
TSskycrew
post Jun 2 2017, 11:12 AM

-sKy-
831 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Jun 2 2017, 12:12 AM)
Can you share a picture of your splitter that you use?
Im just using cheap 2-way splitter

user posted image
xtrail
post Jun 2 2017, 04:11 PM

13 posts

This is just to share my own experience dealing with single port connection for PVR.

For High rise/condo/apartment, if the building support multiple ports, Astro can provide a pair of device(with charge mad.gif ) call Mux/Demux, basically it joins two SAT feeds from the riser into a single feed to the house unit, then from the single port outlet from house it splits to two different ports for 2 feeds into PVR. Works for HD channels recording. thumbup.gif

For landed property, there is an option for SATCR (with charge again mad.gif ), basically it replaces the existing LSB on the dish and allows single feeds to the wall outlet. Astro installer will then configure the PVR to accept SATCR configuration. Works for HD Channels and simultaneous recording too. thumbup.gif

So basically just call Astro, ready to pay some money and they will have solution notworthy.gif
JuneResources
post Jun 2 2017, 06:28 PM

ONE Stop Resources
4,128 posts

If I just plug in only 1 cable, will pvr decoder able to watch channel?
Is it complusory use 2 cable?

Currently I m using zapper decoder for my normal land property (not flat/apartment one). Just wish I dun wan use 2nd cable as technical again will drill my house wall again through my living room.
TSskycrew
post Jun 2 2017, 08:21 PM

-sKy-
831 posts

QUOTE(JuneResources @ Jun 2 2017, 06:28 PM)
If I just plug in only  1 cable, will pvr decoder able to watch channel?

Currently I m using zapper decoder for my normal land property (not flat/apartment one). Just wish I dun wan use 2nd cable as technical again will drill my house wall again through my living room.
Yeah its compulsory to use 2 cables
xtrail
post Jun 3 2017, 12:46 AM

13 posts

QUOTE(skycrew @ Jun 2 2017, 08:21 PM)
Yeah its compulsory to use 2 cables
Using SATCR option, only single cable is required. Works like magic !:)
JuneResources
post Jun 3 2017, 07:22 AM

ONE Stop Resources
4,128 posts

QUOTE(xtrail @ Jun 3 2017, 12:46 AM)
Using SATCR option, only single cable is required. Works like magic !:)
Can you explain more detail about this SATCR option? unsure.gif
This SATCR accessories install at outside dish with single cable (bt no dual cable) or install at pvr decoder behind?

Not very understand already. doh.gif
xtrail
post Jun 3 2017, 09:51 AM

13 posts

QUOTE(JuneResources @ Jun 3 2017, 07:22 AM)
Can you explain more detail about this SATCR option?  unsure.gif
This SATCR accessories install at outside dish with single cable (bt no dual cable) or install at pvr decoder behind?

Not very understand already. doh.gif
Yes, only single cable, no splitter needed. Then the cable goes to the PVR, nothing connected at the 2nd SAT cable connector of the PVR . Astro installer will change the PVR SAT signal input configuration using Astro remote control only. As easy as that. This is official Astro solution.
joshhd
post Jun 5 2017, 05:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(JuneResources @ Jun 2 2017, 06:28 PM)
If I just plug in only  1 cable, will pvr decoder able to watch channel?

If you want to use 1 cable to watch Astro using PVR from the normal Universal LNB, by right it is not possible. But technically it is possible, but the method is not suitable for those who is non-tech savvy.

I recommend you to use SatCR LNB if you wish to enjoy full functionality of PVR service, using only 1 cable.
Attached Image
This Sharp's SatCR LNB model has 1 SatCR port (1 cable to your PVR), 1 Universal (Legacy) port (you can connect cable to this port to other satellite receivers that commonly uses Universal LNB as input source, such as Astro HD box).

This post has been edited by joshhd: Jun 5 2017, 05:37 PM
JuneResources
post Jun 5 2017, 08:30 PM

ONE Stop Resources
4,128 posts

QUOTE(xtrail @ Jun 3 2017, 09:51 AM)
Yes, only single cable, no splitter needed. Then the cable goes to the PVR, nothing connected at the 2nd SAT cable connector of the PVR .  Astro installer will change the PVR SAT signal input configuration using Astro remote control only. As easy as that.  This is official Astro solution.
QUOTE(joshhd @ Jun 5 2017, 05:35 PM)
If you want to use 1 cable to watch Astro using PVR from the normal Universal LNB, by right it is not possible. But technically it is possible, but the method is not suitable for those who is non-tech savvy.

I recommend you to use SatCR LNB if you wish to enjoy full functionality of PVR service, using only 1 cable.
Attached Image
This Sharp's SatCR LNB model has 1 SatCR port (1 cable to your PVR), 1 Universal (Legacy) port (you can connect cable to this port to other satellite receivers that commonly uses Universal LNB as input source, such as Astro HD box).
Ok, thanks for the expert bro.
I think so far no problem for this installation pvr already.

Right now I am quite concern is it whether can convert to Njoi after upgrade to pvr (after finish contract)?
This is bcoz I already upgrade from Njoi to normal postpaid. But this refurnish njoi decoder has some issued, ocassionally decoder hang. And wish to upgrade to pvr set (coz now the zapper decoder dont show Channel number at DMT front panel) while pvr set got CH number display. Somemore my package is include pvr recording. (If dont utilize it feel wasted).

But when I ask astro team, they say gt Convertion Fee to Njoi (RM455) shakehead.gif from pvr.
And I ask 2nd time again to astro team, they say dont have coz my smart card at first time is Njoi plan. No convertion fee apply if convert back Njoi.

Now I dont know want to believe which person. rclxub.gif
westlife
post Jun 9 2017, 01:59 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,296 posts

Best is to have two separate cables from the disc to pvr. Works the best.
derrickxenon
post Nov 3 2017, 02:02 PM

Getting Started
79 posts

For centralised astro system which commonly found in Condos, it is always recommended to use the Stacker De-stacker provided by Astro in order to avoid interruption for viewing / recording.

Like what @joshhd has mentioned in the earlier post, it is due to the frequencies difference between SD & HD channels.

A lot newly built condo nowadays are equipped with HD centralise system aka HD SMATV, where residents can just simply plug in into the outlet point and enjoy HD channels. However, there are also condos that are not equip with HD centralise system yet, thus, condo management will normally consult or approach 3rd party contractor to upgrade / install their existing non HD system to HD centralise system.

Especially in Klang Valley area, there is this company called L S ANG COMMUNICATION SDN BHD where they will fund and upgrade the entire HD centralise system to the condo at no cost but the management have to sign a comprehensive maintenance contract with them.

Just sharing.
ihsan1992
post Sep 9 2018, 12:05 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Jun 5 2017, 05:35 PM)

Attached Image
Hi bro, where can i get this satcr lnb?

nikki_5543
post Sep 9 2018, 12:29 PM

Getting Started
95 posts

QUOTE(skycrew @ Jun 2 2017, 11:12 AM)
Im just using cheap 2-way splitter

user posted image
If centralized one point apartment also can use this kind of splitter if have multi units astro decoder?
nas787
post Sep 19 2018, 09:58 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

QUOTE(skycrew @ Jun 1 2017, 10:48 PM)

Hi may i knw what is LNB input n DCSS input?

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0209sec    0.22    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:23 PM