Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Suggestion for Web API sites for personal usage

views

TSanti-informatic
post Apr 30 2017, 07:40 PM, updated 7y ago

Enthusiast
902 posts

I'm a .Net developer and I know how to create web API in .Net.

Now I'm developing my own mobile apps and need to use web API for my app to get/set data. I'm only doing it for my own personal interest and not earning any bucks from it.

But developing web API in .Net platform, as I know, is extremely expensive when I need to get a window server platform to deploy my web API solution.

My friend suggested me to use open source site to create/deploy web API which is much much more cheaper compare to .Net platform.

Would like to ask for anyone here if you came across or heard of such situation, what is the best approach or suggestion for my case?

What I had in mind right now is to learn some PHP (or some other open source language, not sure yet) to create web API and then look for open source platform to get my web API live.

Would appreciate for some sharing from you guys.
Eventless
post May 1 2017, 08:22 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,641 posts

Have you tried looking at Microsoft Azure?
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/app-service/
Not exactly free but you get actual services that run on the internet without spending too much. The free account come with a prepaid amount at the moment.
matiko95
post May 5 2017, 06:17 PM

Enthusiast
910 posts

QUOTE(anti-informatic @ Apr 30 2017, 07:40 PM)
I'm a .Net developer and I know how to create web API in .Net.

Now I'm developing my own mobile apps and need to use web API for my app to get/set data. I'm only doing it for my own personal interest and not earning any bucks from it.

But developing web API in .Net platform, as I know, is extremely expensive when I need to get a window server platform to deploy my web API solution.

My friend suggested me to use open source site to create/deploy web API which is much much more cheaper compare to .Net platform.

Would like to ask for anyone here if you came across or heard of such situation, what is the best approach or suggestion for my case?

What I had in mind right now is to learn some PHP (or some other open source language, not sure yet) to create web API and then look for open source platform to get my web API live.

Would appreciate for some sharing from you guys.
i also newbie to jived in development api.. REST api..
care to tag along. i doit for non profit. just to increase my knowledge

kayweng
post May 18 2017, 02:13 PM

Getting Started
160 posts

try code the WebAPi to the .net core and run api services in AWS serverless, this sure lower cost than window server.
monk8800
post May 26 2017, 09:26 PM

23 posts

The easiest approach is to create simple REST API with either nodejs express or Django rest framework the 2 easiest languages you could ever start learning from. Most people will tell you to go for c java etc nothing wrong with that but you should consider having these 2 in your toolbelt for quick hackery stuff and MVPs. Once you get your app running on your local. You can then deploy to Heroku and run your tests.

So this whole setup up with heroku is going to cost you zero dollars and no credit card. If your choice to go the AWS route you can leverage on the free tier plan spans 1 year, but you will have to place your credit card. The beauty though of the free tier you get about 750 hours monthly on a t2 micro instance Linux VPS. Elastic beanstalk free as well, this should be enough for you to learn and play around until you pretty much own AWS to a certain extent.

Just a note do keep track of the billing it's easy to forget after a few months that you have your credit card tied up. You just don't want to get that additional bill at the end of the year due to negligence. Cloudwatch would allow you to setup some billing alarms once your $ have reached a certain threshold The whole setup can be done in under 30min with one or 2 CRUD tables for either node or Django with either aws/heroku.

If you want to learn the ropes check out link in my signature

This post has been edited by monk8800: May 26 2017, 09:49 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0114sec    0.38    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:57 PM