3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

28 years old too late to graduate?

views

TSstankovic8888
post Apr 30 2017, 06:14 PM, updated 7y ago

5 posts

Hello,

I am currently 26 years old with a Bachelor of Mass Communication (Hons), and i have an idea of getting a Diploma in Graphic Design to drastically enhance my practical skills in Photoshop and other graphic design related softwares.

My main concern is my age, is 28 years old too late to graduate? hard to get a job at the age of 28 as a fresh graduate?

I personally have several months of experience in sales and i had 5 months of internship in Online Marketing. During my internship, i found out that i enjoy doing Online marketing but i am unable to continue with it due to my lacking in practical skills such as Graphic Design, Web design and HTML.

Fyi, money is not an issue and i am thinking of the Diploma in Graphic design because i want to venture into the field of Digital Marketing, Online marketing and Social media marketing.

PS: Please kindly give pros and cons for your suggestions smile.gif

Thanks

This post has been edited by stankovic8888: Apr 30 2017, 06:35 PM
Baconateer
post Apr 30 2017, 06:18 PM

Meh..... (TM)
4,874 posts

Education knows no boundaries..
ZenXL
post Apr 30 2017, 06:19 PM

Oh shi-
704 posts

I've had a 32 year old classmate before this who was doing his Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health to increase his position in his current company. (the company themselves suggested it)

Age doesn't matter and knowledge is inexhaustible.
Flanegan
post Apr 30 2017, 06:31 PM

Getting Started
146 posts

Education has no age limit. Unless the uncommon pride brainwash says it's to old to learn.

I have no comment on that
kentchow75
post Apr 30 2017, 06:33 PM

Best Biz Card Printing Service
1,352 posts

dont be discourage by little words, the world of society recognise talent more than age
avrilmae
post Apr 30 2017, 07:19 PM

Regular
1,039 posts

First of all, it's not too old at age 28 to graduate. I know some people who obtained their degrees in their thirties.
As for getting a job, an extra skill will be an advantage and a positive attitude always goes a long way.

smile.gif
azarimy
post Apr 30 2017, 08:39 PM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

age is not an issue here. i'm afraid the issue is more of what u expect to get from the graphic design diploma is not exactly the same with what that diploma actually offers. if u wanna learn graphic/design software, u can take up those short courses (usually 2-5 days per session). it's cheaper and shorter.

graphic design diploma teaches u DESIGN. the software is just a tool, just like the pencil/paper, paintbrush, carving knives and so on. it's a means to get where u wanna be. but the diploma will spend most of the time teaching u what is design, how to design and how to differentiate between good and bad. learning the tools is about 1/8 of the whole learning (which if u think about it, about the same with those short courses!).

it's not that it wont benefit u. but if u're thinking spending 3 years learning the tools, u'll be disappointed.
jknowsit
post Apr 30 2017, 11:25 PM

Casual
360 posts

Just do it.
Cloud9Nos3
post Apr 30 2017, 11:27 PM

Stay Happy ~
1,188 posts

Nothing is too late
cnvery
post Apr 30 2017, 11:33 PM

Regular
1,831 posts

Su Xun (22 May 1009 – 21 May 1066) only start to study hard on 27 years old, in the end become Eight Great Prose Masters of the Tang and Song.

It is never too late to learn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Su_Xun
BlurGuy1992
post May 1 2017, 08:10 PM

Getting Started
254 posts

Its never too late! Get some freelance job to boost your experience while you studying your diploma. you will have plenty of time during diploma tbh tongue.gif
clickNsnap
post May 1 2017, 11:59 PM

On my way
539 posts

QUOTE(stankovic8888 @ Apr 30 2017, 07:14 PM)
Hello,

I am currently 26 years old with a Bachelor of Mass Communication (Hons), and i have an idea of getting a Diploma in Graphic Design to drastically enhance my practical skills in Photoshop and other graphic design related softwares.

My main concern is my age, is 28 years old too late to graduate? hard to get a job at the age of 28 as a fresh graduate?

I personally have several months of experience in sales and i had 5 months of internship in Online Marketing. During my internship, i found out that i enjoy doing Online marketing but i am unable to continue with it due to my lacking in practical skills such as Graphic Design, Web design and HTML.

Fyi, money is not an issue and i am thinking of the Diploma in Graphic design because i want to venture into the field of Digital Marketing, Online marketing and Social media marketing.

Thanks
Personally, i would not recommend to obtain diploma in Graphic Design for your needs, the duration of the course is a bit too long and the course teach more than just graphic software.

It is not too late to learn the graphic software, it will complement your Mass Comm degree. If you are keen to learn about the software and money not an issue, i think you can learn a few Adobe software within 1-2 months, try to see some offer from http://www.adobetraining.my/

ps. advice from an old (very old) graphic design gratuate smile.gif

This post has been edited by clickNsnap: May 2 2017, 12:02 AM
Ralna
post May 2 2017, 12:14 AM

Casual
388 posts

QUOTE(stankovic8888 @ Apr 30 2017, 06:14 PM)
Hello,

Thanks
You may apply for relevant jobs and tell the employer that you are doing a part-time Diploma in Graphic Design. Not all online marketing jobs involve graphic design, web design & HTML. Those can come in later as you are completing your diploma.

If you decide to do a full-time diploma, by the time you graduate at age 28, your life will begin much later than everyone else and this will put you at a disadvantage.
nexona88
post May 2 2017, 06:24 PM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,806 posts

age is no issues..

previously I got Uni mate which I can almost refer as Grandpa laugh.gif
mycolumn
post May 14 2017, 01:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,078 posts

Dun worry. Life long learning. It's never too late.
haturaya
post May 22 2017, 07:11 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
2,469 posts

QUOTE(stankovic8888 @ Apr 30 2017, 06:14 PM)
Hello,

Thanks
No worries... my ex school mate (primary school, mid 40s) just graduated for his degree last month. thumbup.gif
MeToo
post May 22 2017, 07:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,297 posts

When I was doing my degree, I had a classmate that is 62.....
SUSBarbossa
post May 29 2017, 03:40 AM

Casual
407 posts

Go for it. Age is nothing compared to your knowledge.
Rocket_Raccoon
post May 30 2017, 12:58 PM

9 posts

It's never too late, man.
oxm8
post Jun 1 2017, 10:24 PM

Regular
1,458 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Apr 30 2017, 08:39 PM)
age is not an issue here. i'm afraid the issue is more of what u expect to get from the graphic design diploma is not exactly the same with what that diploma actually offers. if u wanna learn graphic/design software, u can take up those short courses (usually 2-5 days per session). it's cheaper and shorter.

graphic design diploma teaches u DESIGN. the software is just a tool, just like the pencil/paper, paintbrush, carving knives and so on. it's a means to get where u wanna be. but the diploma will spend most of the time teaching u what is design, how to design and how to differentiate between good and bad. learning the tools is about 1/8 of the whole learning (which if u think about it, about the same with those short courses!).

it's not that it wont benefit u. but if u're thinking spending 3 years learning the tools, u'll be disappointed.
i totally agree.
i believe u can only study in IPTS...
unless u willing to go part time for IPTA.. if they have such courses.
and this will cost you $$$.
you have to sit for non-tech clasess such as BM, english etc that you dont need at all.
you just need a technical courses, design, computer software etc. just go for short courses, get freelance job or part time at the same time... to get more experience..

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0204sec    0.16    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:51 AM