Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Help me~ I want to be a Wedding Planner, Looking for wedding planner job

views

TSGoingAfterMyDream
post Apr 28 2017, 08:56 PM, updated 7y ago

2 posts

Hi there, I am a little lost in the corporate world as I have been looking for job as a wedding planner preferably in PJ or KL area (part time or full time position are both acceptable) but until today still searching.. icon_question.gif

I am a graduate from Business management and currently working full time (office based job) in a company in PJ for more than 2 years. After this long of working experience, I finally found that I want to be a wedding planner. I am now looking for either a part time position (work during weekend) for me to pick up the skills first before fully entering into the new world.... or if I am lucky enough I would like to get a full time position in this field and start standing up from there. nod.gif

I have been contacting most of the bridal shop or wedding planner companies in PJ and KL yet non of them is giving me a hope. That's why I am here to seek help from you guys cry.gif

If you guys have any idea or you have a contact that you could share with me or you get to know from your family or friends about this... please please please notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif share with me..

P.S: Believe me, I am serious and I am a very good and fast learner even though I may not have the experience in that new field nod.gif
ipohmali70
post May 1 2017, 10:01 AM

Regular
1,133 posts

QUOTE(GoingAfterMyDream @ Apr 28 2017, 08:56 PM)
Hi there, I am a little lost in the corporate world as I have been looking for job as a wedding planner preferably in PJ or KL area (part time or full time position are both acceptable) but until today still searching.. icon_question.gif

I am a graduate from Business management and currently working full time (office based job) in a company in PJ for more than 2 years. After this long of working experience, I finally found that I want to be a wedding planner. I am now looking for either a part time position (work during weekend) for me to pick up the skills first before fully entering into the new world.... or if I am lucky enough I would like to get a full time position in this field and start standing up from there. nod.gif

I have been contacting most of the bridal shop or wedding planner companies in PJ and KL yet non of them is giving me a hope. That's why I am here to seek help from you guys  cry.gif

If you guys have any idea or you have a contact that you could share with me or you get to know from your family or friends about this... please please please  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif  share with me..

P.S:  Believe me, I am serious and I am a very good and fast learner even though I may not have the experience in that new field  nod.gif
This may help.

http://www.star2.com/people/2017/05/01/mal...dding-chaperon/

This man has an unusual job – he’s a wedding chaperone

MAY 1, 2017 PEOPLE

BY MAJORIE CHIEW

At a traditional Chinese wedding, the bride and groom are normally fussed over by a tai kum chea (female wedding chaperone).

Now, meet the male version. Kenneth Steven Chan, 34, is a tai kum, tai kum kor or tai kum kong (Cantonese for male wedding chaperone).

Some people may frown at a male performing this task while others find it amusing. Some inquisitive elders may even ask, “Is there such a thing as a male wedding chaperone?”

However, Chan said the history of the tai kum kor could be traced back to the Sung Dynasty (960-1279). Back then, these chaperones were wedding planners who prepared ceremonial items and guided the wedding couple through the nuptial rites.

According to Chan, the trend (or re-emergence) of the male wedding chaperone began in Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur, to be exact) about two or three decades ago. To date, he reckons there are 20 tai kum kors locally.

Chan has mastered his craft well. Having been in this profession for seven years, he has an “armoury” of honey-coated words.

“At first, many people felt it was improper for the tai kum kor to assist the bride. But over time, they have come to accept this trend,” said Chan.

image: http://www1.star2.com/wp-content/uploads/2...th_10_maj_1.jpg

Wedding chaperone Kenneth Chan is eloquent with his auspicious phrases during the tea ceremony at a Chinese wedding. Photo: Shaun & Agnes Lim

Not surprisingly, there are misconceptions when people hear of a male wedding chaperone.

“They think the chaperone is effeminate, but if you see me, I’m presentable to everyone,” said Chan, who has several sets of Chinese tops, largely in auspicious red. He also wears the traditional red clogs and carries a wooden Peranakan basket and a hand fan as part of his professional attire.

How he became a wedding chaperone

Chan was in customer service in various sectors for eight years and a manager of an online automative company for two years before becoming a wedding chaperone, by accident.

A friend who was getting married rang him up to help plan his wedding. Even though Chan had no experience, he sportingly agreed to help. The next thing he knew, another friend recommended him to try out as a tai kum.

image: http://www1.star2.com/wp-content/uploads/2...eth_6_maj_1.jpg

Chan (left) guiding the newly weds as they pay respect to ‘heaven and earth’. Photo: Paul & Michelle Lum

Chan’s parents were initially unhappy to hear of his job switch. They thought the chaperone job offers no stable income as Chinese weddings are generally quite seasonal.

For example, year-end weddings are popular. On the other hand, there is usually a lull for mid-year Chinese weddings.

The older generation disapproves of weddings in June. There is a Cantonese phrase for couples who hold mid-year weddings – pun lo fu chai (halfway couple) – which connotes that the marriage may not last.

So, Chan tries to be gainfully employed the whole year. Besides playing the part of a wedding chaperone, he is also a wedding planner to non-Chinese couples, who unlike the Chinese, can hold their weddings any time of the year. He also works as an emcee for events and annual dinners.

Customising the customs

Chan can bowl people over with his knowledge of Chinese weddings and customs. He is also rather brazen to discard several archaic rites and introduce new ones. He said there have been no complaints from clients thus far.

According to him, “The tai kum kor is very straightforward. He will mull over whether certain age-old traditions are still relevant for the new millennium.”

image: http://www1.star2.com/wp-content/uploads/2...th_optional.jpg

Here comes the Chinese male wedding chaperon Kenneth Chan. Photo: Love Photo Artistry

Traditionally, a set of items comprising a baby’s bathtub, basin, mug and enamel spitoon is a must at every Chinese wedding. But Chan feels that most of the items are irrelevant, except the spitoon.

“It represents the ovaries of a woman. We have a young boy break the red paper covering, as the spitoon is symbolic of the bride’s virginity and symbolises fertility,” Chan explained.

The ingredients of the tim cha (sweet tea) for the tea ceremony are also simplified. Customarily, the tea is boiled from lily bulbs, red dates, dried longan and lotus seeds. He recommends a simpler tea made from red dates, dried longan and rock sugar.

“Red dates are good for blood circulation, while longan and rock sugar provide energy that the body needs,” he said.

The night before the wedding, everyone involved does not have enough sleep. This tea acts as a herbal brew to rid lethargy. In fact, the family can boil a big pot, so that friends and family can also enjoy the tea and wish the newlyweds “all the sweetness in life”.

The number of items such as fruits for bridal dowry are also cut down from 18 oranges and 18 apples to six oranges, six apples and six pears. These fruits symbolise that the married couple will have a safe marriage.

The pomegranate – a fruit with many seeds – is also a must-have, as it symbolises fertility.

image: http://www1.star2.com/wp-content/uploads/2...eth_5_maj_1.jpg

Chan symbolically wiping the saliva from the happy mother-in-law. Photo: Paul & Michelle Lum

Chan has revived a very old tradition: braiding of the wedding couple’s hair on the wedding day.

“In the old days, the chaperone would snip off 15cm of the hair of both the couple and the ends tied with red string. This ritual signifies that the wedding is legally binding.”

But in modern times, he would snip a very small portion of the hair (2.5cm) from the couple and tie them together with red string. This ritual is done after the tea ceremony, where guests also bear witness.

The couple get the lock back for safekeeping.

A Hokkien from Malacca, Chan grew up speaking Cantonese, which happens to come in handy as a Chinese wedding chaperone.

When conducting a ceremony, he uses a slew of Cantonese auspicious words. For weddings of other dialect groups, he tries to use Hokkien or Hakka. For the benefit of non-Chinese guests, Chan attempts to explain the meaning of the customs.

And, what’s his asking price?

Well, Chan has no qualms divulging that. “It’s RM1,188.”

And that is the fee for his morning service. This excludes lai see (token ang pows) that relatives of the wedding couple may give him during the tea ceremony.

Read more at http://www.star2.com/people/2017/05/01/mal...gmK08G01CyRD.99

TSGoingAfterMyDream
post May 7 2017, 01:33 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(ipohmali70 @ May 1 2017, 10:01 AM)
This may help.

http://www.star2.com/people/2017/05/01/mal...dding-chaperon/

This man has an unusual job – he’s a wedding chaperone

MAY 1, 2017 PEOPLE

BY MAJORIE CHIEW

At a traditional Chinese wedding, the bride and groom are normally fussed over by a tai kum chea (female wedding chaperone).

Now, meet the male version. Kenneth Steven Chan, 34, is a tai kum, tai kum kor or tai kum kong (Cantonese for male wedding chaperone).

Some people may frown at a male performing this task while others find it amusing. Some inquisitive elders may even ask, “Is there such a thing as a male wedding chaperone?”

However, Chan said the history of the tai kum kor could be traced back to the Sung Dynasty (960-1279). Back then, these chaperones were wedding planners who prepared ceremonial items and guided the wedding couple through the nuptial rites.

According to Chan, the trend (or re-emergence) of the male wedding chaperone began in Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur, to be exact) about two or three decades ago. To date, he reckons there are 20 tai kum kors locally.

Chan has mastered his craft well. Having been in this profession for seven years, he has an “armoury” of honey-coated words.

“At first, many people felt it was improper for the tai kum kor to assist the bride. But over time, they have come to accept this trend,” said Chan.

image: http://www1.star2.com/wp-content/uploads/2...th_10_maj_1.jpg

Wedding chaperone Kenneth Chan is eloquent with his auspicious phrases during the tea ceremony at a Chinese wedding. Photo: Shaun & Agnes Lim

Not surprisingly, there are misconceptions when people hear of a male wedding chaperone.

“They think the chaperone is effeminate, but if you see me, I’m presentable to everyone,” said Chan, who has several sets of Chinese tops, largely in auspicious red. He also wears the traditional red clogs and carries a wooden Peranakan basket and a hand fan as part of his professional attire.

How he became a wedding chaperone

Chan was in customer service in various sectors for eight years and a manager of an online automative company for two years before becoming a wedding chaperone, by accident.

A friend who was getting married rang him up to help plan his wedding. Even though Chan had no experience, he sportingly agreed to help. The next thing he knew, another friend recommended him to try out as a tai kum.

image: http://www1.star2.com/wp-content/uploads/2...eth_6_maj_1.jpg

Chan (left) guiding the newly weds as they pay respect to ‘heaven and earth’. Photo: Paul & Michelle Lum

Chan’s parents were initially unhappy to hear of his job switch. They thought the chaperone job offers no stable income as Chinese weddings are generally quite seasonal.

For example, year-end weddings are popular. On the other hand, there is usually a lull for mid-year Chinese weddings.

The older generation disapproves of weddings in June. There is a Cantonese phrase for couples who hold mid-year weddings – pun lo fu chai (halfway couple) – which connotes that the marriage may not last.

So, Chan tries to be gainfully employed the whole year. Besides playing the part of a wedding chaperone, he is also a wedding planner to non-Chinese couples, who unlike the Chinese, can hold their weddings any time of the year. He also works as an emcee for events and annual dinners.

Customising the customs

Chan can bowl people over with his knowledge of Chinese weddings and customs. He is also rather brazen to discard several archaic rites and introduce new ones. He said there have been no complaints from clients thus far.

According to him, “The tai kum kor is very straightforward. He will mull over whether certain age-old traditions are still relevant for the new millennium.”

image: http://www1.star2.com/wp-content/uploads/2...th_optional.jpg

Here comes the Chinese male wedding chaperon Kenneth Chan. Photo: Love Photo Artistry

Traditionally, a set of items comprising a baby’s bathtub, basin, mug and enamel spitoon is a must at every Chinese wedding. But Chan feels that most of the items are irrelevant, except the spitoon.

“It represents the ovaries of a woman. We have a young boy break the red paper covering, as the spitoon is symbolic of the bride’s virginity and symbolises fertility,” Chan explained.

The ingredients of the tim cha (sweet tea) for the tea ceremony are also simplified. Customarily, the tea is boiled from lily bulbs, red dates, dried longan and lotus seeds. He recommends a simpler tea made from red dates, dried longan and rock sugar.

“Red dates are good for blood circulation, while longan and rock sugar provide energy that the body needs,” he said.

The night before the wedding, everyone involved does not have enough sleep. This tea acts as a herbal brew to rid lethargy. In fact, the family can boil a big pot, so that friends and family can also enjoy the tea and wish the newlyweds “all the sweetness in life”.

The number of items such as fruits for bridal dowry are also cut down from 18 oranges and 18 apples to six oranges, six apples and six pears. These fruits symbolise that the married couple will have a safe marriage.

The pomegranate – a fruit with many seeds – is also a must-have, as it symbolises fertility.

image: http://www1.star2.com/wp-content/uploads/2...eth_5_maj_1.jpg

Chan symbolically wiping the saliva from the happy mother-in-law. Photo: Paul & Michelle Lum

Chan has revived a very old tradition: braiding of the wedding couple’s hair on the wedding day.

“In the old days, the chaperone would snip off 15cm of the hair of both the couple and the ends tied with red string. This ritual signifies that the wedding is legally binding.”

But in modern times, he would snip a very small portion of the hair (2.5cm) from the couple and tie them together with red string. This ritual is done after the tea ceremony, where guests also bear witness.

The couple get the lock back for safekeeping.

A Hokkien from Malacca, Chan grew up speaking Cantonese, which happens to come in handy as a Chinese wedding chaperone.

When conducting a ceremony, he uses a slew of Cantonese auspicious words. For weddings of other dialect groups, he tries to use Hokkien or Hakka. For the benefit of non-Chinese guests, Chan attempts to explain the meaning of the customs.

And, what’s his asking price?

Well, Chan has no qualms divulging that. “It’s RM1,188.”

And that is the fee for his morning service. This excludes lai see (token ang pows) that relatives of the wedding couple may give him during the tea ceremony.
Read more at http://www.star2.com/people/2017/05/01/mal...gmK08G01CyRD.99
Wow Thanks IpohMali70. Love the courage he has with him in switching job.
I am still searching for job... hopefully I can get what I want as soon as possible. Cant wait to enter into this interesting field...

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0132sec    0.46    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:41 AM