Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Tyre lifespan, How long can a tyre lasts?

views

TSRemnant_T
post Apr 28 2017, 08:41 PM, updated 7y ago

24 posts

Hi all sifus here. I would like to ask a question about the tyre

My car's tyre is 4 years old ( conti MC5 ), only used for 14k mileage, thread is still deep

May I know how long can the tyre tahan ya...tyre shop guy ask me to change it, saying even if less pakai, its better to change it every 4 years.

I do not have good knowledge on tyres, there I hope i can get some advice here

Thank you rclxms.gif

acbc
post Apr 28 2017, 08:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,475 posts

Look at the manufacturing date. If after 3 years, better change.
6UE5T
post Apr 28 2017, 10:57 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(Remnant_T @ Apr 28 2017, 08:41 PM)

My car's tyre is 4 years old ( conti MC5 ), only used for 14k mileage, thread is still deep

May I know how long can the tyre tahan ya...tyre shop guy ask me to change it, saying even if less pakai, its better to change it every 4 years.

I do not have good knowledge on tyres, there I  hope i can get some advice here
Thank you rclxms.gif
QUOTE(acbc @ Apr 28 2017, 08:42 PM)
Look at the manufacturing date. If after 3 years, better change.
Not true, tire can withstand until more than 4 years of use depending on the environment where you use them and how you use them. You just check carefully if already got many deep cracks or not. If not, then can still use.
TSRemnant_T
post Apr 29 2017, 07:26 AM

24 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Apr 28 2017, 10:57 PM)
Not true, tire can withstand until more than 4 years of use depending on the environment where you use them and how you use them. You just check carefully if already got many deep cracks or not. If not, then can still use.
Hi, thanks for the reply smile.gif

I didn't see any crack on my tyre but I think it will be better to check at the tyre shop.

A tyre shop guy just told me that a tyre's surface will become "hardened" after years, despite the usage is low, therefore the grip will be weak, not recommended to continue using it. ( Is it true ? )

asdasd
post Apr 29 2017, 08:59 AM

Casual
323 posts

QUOTE(Remnant_T @ Apr 29 2017, 06:26 AM)

I didn't see any crack on my tyre but I think it will be better to check at the tyre shop.

A tyre shop guy just told me that a tyre's surface will become "hardened" after years, despite the usage is low, therefore the grip will be weak, not recommended to continue using it.  ( Is it true ? )
yes its true. the rubber in the tire will harden over time which is why all tires have expiry date.

but whether to change or not depends on the physical condition of the tires.
stevenlee
post Apr 29 2017, 09:02 AM

look @ my Star *o* ...hoho
3,093 posts

depend on you...
if got money to spend 2-3 year change...
if no make... see the tread..and change if no tread...
if you use longer time, like more than 4 year, the tyre will hardened and create tyre noise quite a lot

This post has been edited by stevenlee: Apr 29 2017, 09:02 AM
Thrust
post Apr 29 2017, 09:05 AM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

I will change it after 6 years. Should be fine if you're not always driving at high speed.

6UE5T
post May 1 2017, 12:03 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(Remnant_T @ Apr 29 2017, 07:26 AM)

A tyre shop guy just told me that a tyre's surface will become "hardened" after years, despite the usage is low, therefore the grip will be weak, not recommended to continue using it.  ( Is it true ? )
Yes the rubber will get steadily hardened during its lifetime and grip of course will get weaker and weaker every time, that is normal. You can still use them though but just be more mindful especially in the wet coz that's when the grip will drop off the most as the tires aquaplane more and more in conjunction with the treads getting lesser and lesser. Sign of hardened rubber is from those cracks that will get more and more. So that's why I told you to check for those cracks. If no cracks yet then still fine to use. Tire shop will of course tend to suggest to change coz they want your money, so better if you know your self. Generally though, 4-5 yrs is the maximum lifetime for tires even if not bald yet. You can still use longer than that if you don't reach highway speeds.
yeezai
post May 1 2017, 12:25 AM

-using no way as way-having no limitation as limitation-
2,531 posts

i used until wire comeout only change ...true story ..
6UE5T
post May 1 2017, 12:33 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(yeezai @ May 1 2017, 12:25 AM)
I've done that before too but better not especially if you're living in place where often rains. You may not care about ourselves but we also got responsibility not to cause an accident to others (which could easily happen in the wet with totally bald tires). So when the tire treads already too thin and you already feel easily aquaplaning in the wet, please do change, don;t wait until totally bald and wires start to show.
dwRK
post May 1 2017, 10:40 AM

the consummate chartist
5,114 posts

QUOTE(asdasd @ Apr 29 2017, 08:59 AM)
yes its true. the rubber in the tire will harden over time which is why all tires have expiry date.
Manufacturing date...not expiry

QUOTE(Thrust @ Apr 29 2017, 09:05 AM)
I will change it after 6 years. Should be fine if you're not always driving at high speed.
Can still skid in low to moderate speed during wet cornering...depend how hard the tyres have become and road surface...

QUOTE(yeezai @ May 1 2017, 12:25 AM)
Please... one day you're gonna kill someone if not yourself...
kurty
post May 3 2017, 08:00 AM

Getting Started
224 posts

TS,

like you.

I travel little and my 002 is made in 2014.
if based on book, it should able to go until 2019, 5 years lifespan.
of course, subject to variable such as crack etc.

so far, still ok
I always check the tyre when I go back
kkk8787
post May 3 2017, 10:54 AM

Julyd8th
2,446 posts

My one 5 years bridgestone d. Ar10. 10k travelled only but under sun everyday. Got small cracks d at edges. Better change? Its hard till bumpy d. Just 5 years only.
6UE5T
post May 5 2017, 01:20 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(kkk8787 @ May 3 2017, 10:54 AM)
My one 5 years bridgestone d. Ar10. 10k travelled only but under sun everyday. Got small cracks d at edges. Better change? Its hard till bumpy d. Just 5 years only.
If you don't reach highway speeds then can still use, but if you often go highways then better change coz risk of exploding is higher.
VeeJay
post May 5 2017, 01:37 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,763 posts

QUOTE(Remnant_T @ Apr 28 2017, 08:41 PM)

I do not have good knowledge on tyres, there I  hope i can get some advice here
Thank you rclxms.gif
Tire manufacturers such as michelin and Continental recommends, maximum extend of 10yrs, and perform regular inspection after the 5th year

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/do-I...-new-tires.html

http://www.continental-tyres.com.au/car/te...owledge/lex-1-2
subaru555
post May 5 2017, 12:08 PM

Getting Started
102 posts

QUOTE(stevenlee @ Apr 29 2017, 09:02 AM)
depend on you...
if got money to spend 2-3 year change...
if no make... see the tread..and change if no tread...
if you use longer time, like more than 4 year, the tyre will hardened and create tyre noise quite a lot
QUOTE(Thrust @ Apr 29 2017, 09:05 AM)
QUOTE(kkk8787 @ May 3 2017, 10:54 AM)
QUOTE(VeeJay @ May 5 2017, 01:37 AM)
Tire manufacturers such as michelin and Continental recommends, maximum extend of 10yrs, and perform regular inspection after the 5th year

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/do-I...-new-tires.html

http://www.continental-tyres.com.au/car/te...owledge/lex-1-2
for those who changed their tyres after 5 years or so, please bear in mind that the cracks can also happen inside the tyres. Hence, you'll need to get your tyres properly check inside out to ensure your safety.

Happened to me a while ago. Tyre was Good Year Asym 1 and it was only 3-4 years old. Exterior is still good. No cracks whatsoever and mileage done was only 30k or so. Once I opened it up, found cracks inside wall. Had to change the tyres even though the tread balance was 60-70%! rclxub.gif rclxub.gif
VeeJay
post May 5 2017, 01:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,763 posts

QUOTE(subaru555 @ May 5 2017, 12:08 PM)
for those who changed their tyres after 5 years or so, please bear in mind that the cracks can also happen inside the tyres. Hence, you'll need to get your tyres properly check inside out to ensure your safety.

Happened to me a while ago. Tyre was Good Year Asym 1 and it was only 3-4 years old. Exterior is still good. No cracks whatsoever and mileage done was only 30k or so. Once I opened it up, found cracks inside wall. Had to change the tyres even though the tread balance was 60-70%!  rclxub.gif  rclxub.gif
True...constant check is needed. Especially for those are being kept parked for a longer period of time.
6UE5T
post May 5 2017, 02:46 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(subaru555 @ May 5 2017, 12:08 PM)

Happened to me a while ago. Tyre was Good Year Asym 1 and it was only 3-4 years old. Exterior is still good. No cracks whatsoever and mileage done was only 30k or so. Once I opened it up, found cracks inside wall. Had to change the tyres even though the tread balance was 60-70%!  rclxub.gif  rclxub.gif
Hmm never seen or experienced cracks on the inside so far. That is rather odd I think.
amad108
post May 5 2017, 03:39 PM

too much of something is bad enough
998 posts

just wanna ask here..
what cause of this defect? using for 3 years only, mileage maybe 20k km or more.. not so sure about it..
Attached Image

this one is the new one
Attached Image

tyre model Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season
6UE5T
post May 6 2017, 01:36 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(amad108 @ May 5 2017, 03:39 PM)
just wanna ask here..
what cause of this defect? using for 3 years only, mileage maybe 20k km or more.. not so sure about it..
Attached Image

this one is the new one
Attached Image

tyre model Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season
Hmm probably rubber compound not suitable for this climate. Got chipping also there.

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0184sec    0.14    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:38 AM