Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Singaporean Couple Ill-Treating Old Man at Hawker, Centre

Brandonn
post Aug 12 2017, 01:28 PM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(Dwango @ Aug 12 2017, 01:01 PM)
Looks like there is closure to this incident. It just got into The Star online this morning. The couple appears to have regretted their actions and seem very apologetic.

Closure - probably to the couple; but not to the Singapore society. The value system in Singapore has proven over times, that there is something fundamentally very wrong there. Rudeness, blatant selfishness and apathy has become a way of life.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MistaKid
post Aug 13 2017, 12:30 AM

Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(Brandonn @ Aug 12 2017, 01:28 PM)
Closure - probably to the couple; but not to the Singapore society.  The value system in Singapore has proven over times, that there is something fundamentally very wrong there.  Rudeness, blatant selfishness and apathy has become a way of life.
If these are the norm in the Singapore society, the issue wouldn't even be blown up and people wouldn't be enraged by the couple's actions.

This post has been edited by MistaKid: Aug 13 2017, 12:42 AM
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
post Aug 13 2017, 05:36 AM

Enthusiast

Singaporean Couple Ill-Treating Old Man at Hawker, Centre
More like Malaysian....

A couple who made headlines for their aggressive behaviour towards an elderly man in a Toa Payoh hawker centre were fined in the State Courts on Friday (11 August). Chow Chuin Yee, 45, a Malaysian, was fined $1,500 after he pleaded guilty to one count of using criminal force against the victim while one count of disorderly behaviour in a public place was taken into consideration

+Quote Post
puchongite
post Aug 13 2017, 07:43 AM

10k Club

QUOTE(Brandonn @ Aug 12 2017, 01:28 PM)
Closure - probably to the couple; but not to the Singapore society.  The value system in Singapore has proven over times, that there is something fundamentally very wrong there.  Rudeness, blatant selfishness and apathy has become a way of life.
You think this is something unique to Singapore ?

I think the same thing could happen to Malaysia or other countries.
+Quote Post
Jensen34
post Aug 13 2017, 10:03 AM

QUOTE(puchongite @ Aug 13 2017, 07:43 AM)
You think this is something unique to Singapore ?

I think the same thing could happen to Malaysia or other countries.
The issue is not if it could happen to Malaysia or somewhere else. As Brandonn did explained:

Rudeness, blatant selfishness and apathy has become a way of life. this is a typical characteristic of Singaporean society.

Look at the suicide rate for Singaporeans:

429 suicides were reported in 2016, an increase of 20 from 2015. This saw the second highest suicide deaths recorded in Singapore for the past 10 years, with the highest tipping at 467 in 2012.
More than 1 suicide a day and a population that decrease because of their moral education. Money, money, swarthy money.

You will be not surprised by the proportion/rate of suicide per ethnicity.

+Quote Post
Sunny zombie
post Aug 13 2017, 02:34 PM

On my way

QUOTE(Jensen34 @ Aug 13 2017, 10:03 AM)
The issue is not if it could happen to Malaysia or somewhere else. As Brandonn did explained:

Rudeness, blatant selfishness and apathy has become a way of life. this is a typical characteristic of Singaporean society.

429 suicides were reported in 2016, an increase of 20 from 2015. This saw the second highest suicide deaths recorded in Singapore for the past 10 years, with the highest tipping at 467 in 2012.
More than 1 suicide a day and a population that decrease because of their moral education. Money, money, swarthy money.

doh.gif being the first class country, the citizen there is like in high-pressure cooker. Tak boleh tahan then ranting.gif
+Quote Post
Brandonn
post Aug 13 2017, 06:33 PM

On my way

QUOTE(Sunny zombie @ Aug 13 2017, 02:34 PM)
doh.gif being the first class country, the citizen there is like in high-pressure cooker. Tak boleh tahan then ranting.gif
The country's national policy is to excel economically at the expense of all areas. This probably has to do with the need to survive as a city state with no natural resources. As a people, Singaporeans have little or no passion in knowing anything which are not money generating, as a result, the societal values, social behavior, general knowledge of the people is ludicrous despite it having high literacy and education rates. In fact for years, civic education has been removed from primary schools. Kids grow up with society's emphasis on corporate behaviors (outcome-based achievements, competitiveness and ruthlessness).

My point is - competition do occurs in many big cities. But if the aspects of the people's lives are off-balance with an over emphasis only on a certain limited aspect, the people will behaved in an inappropriate warped manner and becoming pretty unhappy in their lives. I see this in Singapore. I am also seeing this phenomena amongst the urbanites in Malaysia, generally in the Chinese community.
+Quote Post
puchongite
post Aug 13 2017, 09:16 PM

10k Club

QUOTE(Brandonn @ Aug 13 2017, 06:33 PM)
The country's national policy is to excel economically at the expense of all areas. This probably has to do with the need to survive as a city state with no natural resources.  As a people, Singaporeans have little or no passion in knowing anything which are not money generating, as a result, the societal values, social behavior, general knowledge of the people is ludicrous despite it having high literacy and education rates. In fact for years, civic education has been removed from primary schools.  Kids grow up with society's emphasis on corporate behaviors (outcome-based achievements, competitiveness and ruthlessness). 

My point is - competition do occurs in many big cities. But if the aspects of the people's lives are off-balance with an over emphasis only on a certain limited aspect, the people will behaved in an inappropriate warped manner and becoming pretty unhappy in their lives.  I see this in Singapore.  I am also seeing this phenomena amongst the urbanites in Malaysia, generally in the Chinese community.
Could you elaborate on which aspect of live has been over emphasized which resulted in this unhappiness in lives and hence causing people to have in this way ?
+Quote Post
Brandonn
post Aug 13 2017, 09:46 PM

On my way

QUOTE(puchongite @ Aug 13 2017, 09:16 PM)
Could you elaborate on which aspect of live has been over emphasized which resulted in this unhappiness in lives and hence causing people to have in this way ?
When one emphasizes on the outcome and not the process.
+Quote Post
Dwango
post Aug 14 2017, 08:49 AM

Casual

QUOTE(789321 @ Aug 13 2017, 05:36 AM)
More like Malaysian....
Yes, I knew that. It was only several weeks after the incident the media revealed more detail. A disgraced Malaysian couple but looks like they have repented.
+Quote Post
MistaKid
post Aug 15 2017, 08:06 AM

QUOTE(Jensen34 @ Aug 13 2017, 10:03 AM)

Ah, the typical stereotypes of high pressure living and moral decadence in a big city.

How does Singapore compare to other countries in suicide rates?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cou...by_suicide_rate

It's ranked 112. Lower than many other countries which 'place less emphasis on money'.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bellion
post Aug 15 2017, 01:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(MistaKid @ Aug 15 2017, 08:06 AM)
Ah, the typical stereotypes of high pressure living and moral decadence in a big city.

How does Singapore compare to other countries in suicide rates?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cou...by_suicide_rate

It's ranked 112. Lower than many other countries which 'place less emphasis on money'.
Moral decadence?

Bolehlanders should look at the sh*te that is happening in their land first before pointing fingers at the neighbours. Public spats in a hawker centre is so decadent, eh?

Let's take 5 child rapes PER DAY in Malaysia as a start.

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/...fe-is-malaysia/

+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0751sec    1.08    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 26th September 2017 - 06:20 AM