Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Samsung's New QLED TV, Anyone excited about it?

views

idoblu
post May 21 2017, 01:23 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

This post has been edited by idoblu: May 21 2017, 01:27 PM
idoblu
post May 21 2017, 01:42 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ May 21 2017, 12:47 PM)
You mean the net fiber optic all the way into the tv?

And what? It have router, wifi and network connector out?
Here I took a better picture for you
The black one is the power. The fiber optic looks like fishing line

This post has been edited by idoblu: May 21 2017, 03:03 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
ozak
post May 21 2017, 03:45 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ May 21 2017, 12:59 PM)
No. Instead of all the hdmi etc inputs on your tv, they put it in a separate box. From this box, they use a very thin fiber optic cable to run from this box to your tv.

Read more here - http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062213/

see post below with pictures
QUOTE(idoblu @ May 21 2017, 01:42 PM)
Here I took a better picture for you
The black one is the power. The fiber optic looks like fishing line
It doesn't make sense that you need another box to convert it into optic to the TV.

And it is just a short distance. Given most of our AV are place near to the TV.

I still need a HDMI cable, a USB port or a network cable to the box. I still have to buy the cable.

In term of cost, doesn't save me. Cost me more for the fiber ?

In term of connection, Still have to connect the same way. From AV to the box.

In term of convenient, did you always plug and unplug from TV ?

Instead of a box, why not wireless connection to your AV. TV built in wifi receiver. A transmitter doggle for any AV to plug in. (eventually have a std communication across all brand/product and built in WIFI ?)

That will be ideally. No cable. No need science rocket people to install. Buy any AV, push a button to handshake with your TV. Sit down and enjoy. Or apps to control.

Did I invent something here ? tongue.gif
idoblu
post May 21 2017, 04:55 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ May 21 2017, 03:45 PM)
It doesn't make sense that you need another box to convert it into optic to the TV.

And it is just a short distance. Given most of our AV are place near to the TV.

I still need a HDMI cable, a USB port or a network cable to the box. I still have to buy the cable.

In term of cost, doesn't save me. Cost me more for the fiber ?

In term of connection, Still have to connect the same way. From AV to the box.

In term of convenient, did you always plug and unplug from TV ?

Instead of a box, why not wireless connection to your AV. TV built in wifi receiver. A transmitter doggle for any AV to plug in. (eventually have a std communication across all brand/product and built in WIFI ?)

That will be ideally. No cable. No need science rocket people to install. Buy any AV, push a button to handshake with your TV. Sit down and enjoy. Or apps to control.

Did I invent something here ? tongue.gif
Wireless? Cannot lah, not possible to transmit so huge bandwidth wirelessly
Here is why you need this optical cable

AVFAN
post May 21 2017, 05:11 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ May 21 2017, 12:59 PM)
No. Instead of all the hdmi etc inputs on your tv, they put it in a separate box. From this box, they use a very thin fiber optic cable to run from this box to your tv.
Read more here - http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062213/
see post below with pictures
this looks like a new approach, haven't seen one before.

it is basically a consolidation of 4-5 individual hdmi inputs, take it out of the tv and put in separate box outside the tv.

main advantages will be a smaller/slimmer tv since several ports removed; smaller hole required for tvback/wall panel access since the cable is now just one thin fiber optic cable.

disadvantages will be another box - need space, power supply, spare part cost (?)

i wud think it is great for certain users, not really useful for others.

This post has been edited by AVFAN: May 21 2017, 05:12 PM
idoblu
post May 21 2017, 05:20 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ May 21 2017, 05:11 PM)
this looks like a new approach, haven't seen one before.

it is basically a consolidation of 4-5 individual hdmi inputs, take it out of the tv and put in separate box outside the tv.

main advantages will be a smaller/slimmer tv since several ports removed; smaller hole required for tvback/wall panel access since the cable is now just one thin fiber optic cable.

disadvantages will be another box - need space, power supply, spare part cost (?)

i wud think it is great for certain users, not really useful for others.
Last time pioneer plasma also do this way but no caggih optical cable
AVFAN
post May 21 2017, 05:23 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ May 21 2017, 05:20 PM)
Last time pioneer plasma also do this way but no caggih optical cable
ok... so, if it is really useful and popular, it would be adopted by all tv makers by now or in the near future.
Vannus
post May 21 2017, 06:33 PM

Geeks
909 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ May 21 2017, 05:23 PM)
ok... so, if it is really useful and popular, it would be adopted by all tv makers by now or in the near future.
I think the connect box is stupid enough. Your TV still needs 2 cables. 1 Optical and 1 Power. When you conceal your power cable, just conceal the hdmi cable along. Just make the HDMI looks thinner to optical. Wa piang what kind of design. If really good. Make it 1 thin cable only that runs power and picture signals. Hehe.. Don't think so. Samsung just lebih lebih here with the design.
AVFAN
post May 21 2017, 06:42 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(Vannus @ May 21 2017, 06:33 PM)
I think the connect box is stupid enough. Your TV still needs 2 cables. 1 Optical and 1 Power. When you conceal your power cable, just conceal the hdmi cable along. Just make the HDMI looks thinner to optical. Wa piang what kind of design. If really good. Make it 1 thin cable only that runs power and picture signals. Hehe.. Don't think so. Samsung just lebih lebih here with the design.
you get it. biggrin.gif
Vannus
post May 21 2017, 06:48 PM

Geeks
909 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ May 21 2017, 06:42 PM)
you get it. biggrin.gif
And and now the tv need extra 1 more power socket for the connect box. Brilliant.
tohff7
post May 21 2017, 08:06 PM

FF7 GOAT
1,559 posts

QUOTE(Vannus @ May 21 2017, 06:33 PM)
The 2016 KS Model and the new 2017 MU series model have the same One Connect Box. Only need 1 power source for the TV. There's a cable (obviously not as thin) to connect the TV and box.

Where else this new One Connect Box need 2 power outlet - 1 for TV and 1 for the box.

Ngto
post May 25 2017, 03:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,268 posts

Actually the one connect box is a very good idea for those mounting the panel flat against the wall. If want to change HDMI cables or insert/remove Usb drive/Hard Disk etc. you won't need to struggle with the narrow space at the back or side of the panel.

The box doesn't need additional power source , just connect direct to TV. Can be placed on/hidden in any convenient location on the TV cabinet itself.

Also the TV panel itself will be slimmer without the bulky connectors built in.

This post has been edited by Ngto: May 25 2017, 03:21 PM
tohff7
post May 25 2017, 04:14 PM

FF7 GOAT
1,559 posts

QUOTE(Ngto @ May 25 2017, 03:17 PM)
Actually the one connect box is a very good idea for those mounting the panel flat against the wall. If want to change HDMI cables or  insert/remove Usb drive/Hard Disk etc. you won't need to struggle with the narrow space at the back or side of the panel.

The box doesn't need additional power source , just connect direct to TV. Can be placed on/hidden in any convenient location on the TV cabinet itself.

Also the TV panel itself will be slimmer without the bulky connectors built in.
QLED One Connect Box need separate power source. It is the old KS model and the new MU model that doesn't require separate power source
Ngto
post May 25 2017, 09:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,268 posts

QUOTE(tohff7 @ May 25 2017, 04:14 PM)
QLED One Connect Box need separate power source. It is the old KS model and the new MU model that doesn't require separate power source
Thanks for update. My wrong assumption they would all follow last year's models.

This post has been edited by Ngto: May 25 2017, 09:54 PM

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0134sec    0.48    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:41 AM