Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Maxis Home Fibre - Taman Samudera, Batu Caves, Initial views after installation

views

TSmisk94
post Apr 25 2017, 12:16 PM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
72 posts

Dear All,

Recently, I subscribed to Maxis Home Fibre 30 Mbps with VOIP. 30 Mbps upload and 30 Mbps download speed.

In comparison TM Unifi 30 Mbps advance is giving 30 Mbps upload and 10 Mbps download speed. Of course you get the Hypp TV and free DEC phone. Both of which I do not need.

OK. Here are my experience. Most of them quite positive. Considering I am a new comer to this fiber internet thing.

Day 1. TM and Maxis technicians worked together in order to complete the installation.

The Maxis technician was quite punctual, in fact about 15 minutes early. However, we have to wait for more than one hour before technician from TM arrive at my home. This is after a number of calls made by Maxis technician.

It seems TM scope is for the fiber cabling from the outside to the Huawei fiber modem. Maxis scope is setting-up the WiFi router and VOIP.

Maxis provided me with Technicolor TG389ac router, a dual band WiFi router. I hope it is a better upgrade from the Technicolor TG784 router, a single band n class router.

BTW, I noticed on the installation checklists, Maxis also sells a higher-end router, a Technicolor TG799 model as part of Maxperts device suggestions to improve overall WiFi signal. The router costs about RM400.

The whole business completed in about few hours, by 2 PM. Punctuality is something that TM needs to improve on their side other than price of their internet packages.

Maxis called me to ask when the Maxis technician reach my house. Later Maxis call whether the installation is completed. I was asked to give a rating from 1 to 10 of the installation work. I gave a 7 and I informed Maxis I am not too happy with TM technician being late. Otherwise, I would have given a rating of 8 or 9.

The TG389ac router WiFi signal is mediocre. The router signal good enough on the ground floor. However, signal to my 1st floor is weaker especially on the 5 GHz band. This finding is comparable to what other users are saying. On the other hand the Gigabit Ethernet ports in the router are excellent.

I think the same can be said with TM supplied WiFi router too. I saw in a TM Shop a TP-Link dual band router with three antenna on display. I am not sure the model. Also, there is a new Hypp TV. White colour made by Huawei.

My Wifi problem is solved by using a Tenda AC6 dual band router as a repeater. I bought the Tenda from Lazada Malaysia a few months back. Now the WiFi signal is good throughout my house even in my children bedrooms.

Performance wise close to the rated 30 Mbps when testing with internet speed tests such as Ookla or Speedof.Me. Downloads speed 25 - 28 Mbps. Uploads almost the same. Sometimes the uploads are slightly faster or slower. In other words, I am getting 80-90% of the allocated bandwidth most of the time.

I remembered my Streamyx days, I was getting 50-60% of the allocated bandwidth. sad.gif

So it true that fiber is better than copper connection. A lot better rclxms.gif

BTW. Ping usually around 10-20 ms when connecting to servers around KL. Sometimes lower than that. I am using Ookla to measure DL and UL speed which includes ping measurements.

***7 May 2017 update. See attachment s for Ookla Speedtest results.
They are for Maxis and Celcom-Axiata servers in KL connected from my home.
OOkla app running in handphone which was connected through the Tenda AC6 repeater.

Also, I tested by watching movies using Kodi. Last night, I watched a movie at 1080 Full HD. No sign of lagging. Quite smooth in fact like watching it on Astro Beyond. Even you fast forward, almost instantaneous streaming. This is using wired connection to router. For WiFi connection there is slight pauses but not enough to irritate me.

IFlix streaming no problem. I think IFlix streams at SD and HD (720) not Full HD (1080). Correct me if I am wrong.

So far so good. I am happy with the internet experience. thumbup.gif

BTW, I also put usb laptop coolers under my modem and routers in order cool them. Most of the time, modem and routers are problematic because they are overheating since they are left on 24/7 just like the Astro Beyond decoders.

I recommend spending some money on cooling the routers. Their performance are more consistent and stable with additional cooling. Bear in mind we are living in a hot climate, 30-35 C in a hot day.

A RM20-30 usb laptop cooler is good enough. Unless someone else discover a better and cheaper way. Please share with us if you do.

VOIP. You need to a give a bit time maybe 5-10 seconds for the connection to be made. Once connection is made the calls are OK. Not super clear but comparable to calls made on hand phones.

That's all for now. I am enjoying my fast internet. rclxm9.gif

I will post an update when I have more free time.

BTW, I am not an internet gamer. My comments may not be useful to gamers. We are family users with good movie interests via IFlix, Viu or Kodi.

Regards,
Iskandar

This post has been edited by misk94: May 18 2017, 07:49 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0131sec    0.26    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:39 PM