Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

can my cap ayam psu support gtx 1050ti?

views

TSrequiem318
post Apr 24 2017, 10:20 PM, updated 7y ago

22 posts

hi I have cap ayam psu brand avf 500w..can it support gtx 1050ti?
PzGman
post Apr 24 2017, 10:42 PM

Private Pilot
800 posts

Yes. But can you really trust an RM 50 PSU?
TSrequiem318
post Apr 24 2017, 11:39 PM

22 posts

QUOTE(PzGman @ Apr 24 2017, 10:42 PM)
Yes. But can you really trust an RM 50 PSU?
if i use it, can give any harm to my pc/gpu?
mashimarow
post Apr 25 2017, 10:05 AM

Regular
1,742 posts

of course, it will overload unexpectedly and burn your whole system, of course if you intention to burn it and have a good reason to buy a new pc
eDwanD
post Apr 25 2017, 02:05 PM

Casual
493 posts

As mashimarrow stated, overload will blow ur rig if overload =w=

Even u didnt overload ur psu burden, the lower gradeof psu, the lower great elec component its used.

PSU just as a heart of a pc, weak heart result bad blood flow (more unstable power provide), in the result, will decrease ur bod(pc) lifespan as time going,especially run long time rig.

TristanX
post Apr 25 2017, 03:14 PM

Where is my stars?
Group Icon
Elite
23,662 posts

QUOTE(requiem318 @ Apr 24 2017, 10:20 PM)
Cap ayam power supply tends to have low +12V rail. True continuous wattage is around 200W. Not recommended. They don't come with protection as well. Just hope Lady Luck is with you if you wanna continue taking the risk.
ChairmanDrew
post Apr 25 2017, 04:07 PM

On my way
552 posts

Theoretical question; what if it was a higher watt AVF PSU? Like 650w?
TristanX
post Apr 25 2017, 06:02 PM

Where is my stars?
Group Icon
Elite
23,662 posts

QUOTE(ChairmanDrew @ Apr 25 2017, 04:07 PM)
Theoretical question; what if it was a higher watt AVF PSU? Like 650w?
Doesn't add much. Maybe around 230-250W continuous.
PzGman
post Apr 25 2017, 08:12 PM

Private Pilot
800 posts

QUOTE(requiem318 @ Apr 24 2017, 11:39 PM)
if i use it, can give any harm to my pc/gpu?
Hard to say, but the potential is there.
nkl5499
post Apr 26 2017, 03:01 PM

Getting Started
122 posts

sure, If you dun mind hardware rosak within 1 or 2 yrs.
lolzcalvin
post Apr 26 2017, 06:14 PM

shibe in predicament
1,519 posts

verdict:
you can stick with your current PSU, but when you have allocated enough budget sooner or later, quickly go and find a high quality PSU and replace. e.g. cooler master, fsp, silverstone, suoerflower
goldfries
post Apr 26 2017, 09:34 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(mashimarow @ Apr 25 2017, 10:05 AM)
of course, it will overload unexpectedly and burn your whole system, of course if you intention to burn it and have a good reason to buy a new pc
As one who burned many PSU, it doesn't BURN that easily you know. smile.gif
goldfries
post Apr 26 2017, 09:39 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(eDwanD @ Apr 25 2017, 02:05 PM)
As mashimarrow stated, overload will blow ur rig if overload =w=
Haiyoh you guys don't exaggerate la. It won't "blow" a rig just like that.

At worst the overload condition will spoil a few components, over the years even on various tech sites you don't see many people complain about lousy PSU screwing up every component on a rig.

Again don't go with simplistic explanation, it gives people wrong ideas and unnecessary fear.

Now the question is, have you guys ever destroyed any PSU by overloading it or stressing it?

I've killed no less than 10 so far, some of them are alive but power delivery degraded.

Till date none of my exploded PSUs (yes, more than 1 - it comes along with flash bang, a whiff of smoke and burnt smell) have taken down any of my other components.

I even had one case where my kitten pee into it without my knowing, so when I power on the PSU tripped and house electricity tripped along. tongue.gif That also nothing died.

So that's not to say components are not at risk but I'm just saying you can't go about telling that things WILL DIE along with it. smile.gif
goldfries
post Apr 26 2017, 09:40 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(requiem318 @ Apr 24 2017, 10:20 PM)
AVF brand PSU isn't that bad actually, not to say they're great either but they work.

I would still avoid it whenever possible but since you're using it then sure, go ahead. No problem.
eDwanD
post Apr 26 2017, 09:56 PM

Casual
493 posts

QUOTE(goldfries @ Apr 26 2017, 09:39 PM)
Haiyoh you guys don't exaggerate la. It won't "blow" a rig just like that.

At worst the overload condition will spoil a few components, over the years even on various tech sites you don't see many people complain about lousy PSU screwing up every component on a rig.

Again don't go with simplistic explanation, it gives people wrong ideas and unnecessary fear.

Now the question is, have you guys ever destroyed any PSU by overloading it or stressing it?

I've killed no less than 10 so far, some of them are alive but power delivery degraded.

Till date none of my exploded PSUs (yes, more than 1 - it comes along with flash bang, a whiff of smoke and burnt smell) have taken down any of my other components.

I even had one case where my kitten pee into it without my knowing, so when I power on the PSU tripped and house electricity tripped along. tongue.gif That also nothing died.

So that's not to say components are not at risk but I'm just saying you can't go about telling that things WILL DIE along with it. smile.gif
Haha... admit trying to fear ppl up XD

Its true that have possibility will spoiled some component than a whole rig if something going wrong, but even with few component, its not worth that try save money from psu to better other parts.

I havent destroy my psu yet @@ cause i'm only used three different psu, Enermax Liberty Gold 400w -> Seasonic G550 -> Laptop -> Seasonic P760.
Because i saw a guy who use dual xeon + sli with a sonicgear or what oledi rated 600w psu, in result his xeons and one of gpu bye bye.

I wont give me a higher chance to mess up my rig just becoz save money for psu ...
My friend got a mid end rig which i builed in the past, but he didnt get my advice for a better psu and choose using cap ayam psu, which stated as 650w, even its not blow any component, but in result some of his rig's component get a short lifespan which died after 1 years.

I still recommend a better psu because easily get unstable eletric, higher voltage than supposedly 240v should be thanks to lame TNB.
goldfries
post Apr 26 2017, 10:01 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

Some PSU do show signs first before dying, for example I have a Vantec Ion2 PSU before, after a month of stressing it the fella start to give off burnt smell. biggrin.gif Faster send for RMA and sell off.

Cheap PSU, as long as you are using for stuff like office work usually no problem, can last super long years.

It's when you use higher end stuff where the power draw fluctuates, that's when things go bad.

The PSU is like a heart. A person with strong heart or weak heart, outside they look same. It's when you force both of them to do work out then you see the one with strong heart steady but weak heart have problem.

A person with strong heart, you get them to do 100m dash. Stop, then do it again, then stop. They're fine. The one with weak heart, after a while they cannot take it.

Same goes to PSU component. Steady delivery is not the main problem, the main problem is how the components handle power draw fluctuations, suddenly low, suddenly high, then low again then high again.
mashimarow
post Apr 27 2017, 05:32 PM

Regular
1,742 posts

yeah, blowing up like a firework is rare case, but the potential is there, he only stated as cap ayam, didn't say AVF, it is still graded as low grade PSU however.

For office use, I don't mind cap ayam, using onboard GPU, 1-2 harddisk, occasion system self reboot, nothing serious, but he is using it to play game, pushing whole system close to 100% usage, continuous pulling power from low grade PSU might cause it to crank up wattage which might burn out, risking some component burn along during the overload
fcuk90
post Apr 30 2017, 06:06 PM

ef eg ek es
7,863 posts

QUOTE(mashimarow @ Apr 27 2017, 05:32 PM)
yeah, blowing up like a firework is rare case, but the potential is there, he only stated as cap ayam, didn't say AVF, it is still graded as low grade PSU however.

For office use, I don't mind cap ayam, using onboard GPU, 1-2 harddisk, occasion system self reboot, nothing serious, but he is using it to play game, pushing whole system close to 100% usage, continuous pulling power from low grade PSU might cause it to crank up wattage which might burn out, risking some component burn along during the overload
1050Ti has low power consumption.
Total system power draw only :150w (when it pair with i7 5960x see the chart below.).

sos cili: http://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-gefo...i-review?page=6

So long AVF can generate 200w +12v rail, i dont see any problem with it. For sure, on the long run, it is better to use a better / branded PSU when you going for SLI/CFX or higher end card

This post has been edited by fcuk90: Apr 30 2017, 06:07 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
jimmytm31
post Jun 2 2017, 10:39 AM

30 posts

QUOTE(fcuk90 @ Apr 30 2017, 06:06 PM)
1050Ti has low power consumption.
Total system power draw only :150w (when it pair with i7 5960x see the chart below.).

sos cili: http://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-gefo...i-review?page=6

So long AVF can generate 200w +12v rail, i dont see any problem with it. For sure, on the long run, it is better to use a better / branded PSU when you going for SLI/CFX or higher end card
Any Apps or software can check PSU usage/status?
TristanX
post Jun 2 2017, 10:50 AM

Where is my stars?
Group Icon
Elite
23,662 posts

QUOTE(jimmytm31 @ Jun 2 2017, 10:39 AM)
Any Apps or software can check PSU usage/status?
Nope, you need a watt meter.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0170sec    0.78    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:28 PM