Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Health Is meal prepping unhealthy?

views

TShenry1203
post Apr 24 2017, 06:07 PM, updated 7y ago

25 posts

Meal prepping is great for people wanted to keep track their food intake and have less time to cook it every day. It is widely advised by people that are health conscious or anyone who have some physical goal to attain.

Despite getting a weird look from the colleague asking why you bring Tupperware to work, the more annoyed question they say will be "IT IS UNHEALTHY TO EAT OVERNIGHT FOOD AND MICROWAVE TO REHEAT IT".

Wanted to know what is your opinion about meal prepping and the nutrition of the food.

1. Eating overnight food losses the nutrition
2. Eating overnight food got lot of bacteria
3. Eating overnight food bring a lot of gas to your stomach
4. Freeze or chill the prep meal?
5. Microwave the food is cancerous, not healthy because of the rays
dayalan86
post Apr 25 2017, 10:32 AM

Enthusiast
962 posts

QUOTE(henry1203 @ Apr 24 2017, 06:07 PM)
Meal prepping is great for people wanted to keep track their food intake and have less time to cook it every day. It is widely advised by people that are health conscious or anyone who have some physical goal to attain.

Despite getting a weird look from the colleague asking why you bring Tupperware to work, the more annoyed question they say will be "IT IS UNHEALTHY TO EAT OVERNIGHT FOOD AND MICROWAVE TO REHEAT IT".

Wanted to know what is your opinion about meal prepping and the nutrition of the food.

There are many arguments for the above. However based on one of the talks I attended by a Doctor, here is the reply.

1. Eating overnight food losses the nutrition (If deep freeze and thaw, it is fine but if you reheat or warm it in any other way, yes it loses nutrients and potentially can cause cancer)

2. Eating overnight food got lot of bacteria (depends on how you stored it)

3. Eating overnight food bring a lot of gas to your stomach (Not proven)
4. Freeze or chill the prep meal? (Deep Freezing locks in nutrients and keeps the food fresh longer)

5. Microwave the food is cancerous, not healthy because of the rays (Microwaving iteself is not the cause, its one of the causes which is yet to be proven; however, reheating frozen foods robs away antioxidants and thus potentially can cause cancer due to the food molecules being altered while reheating)

The doctor was dead against freezing and reheating food, especially those freezer to fryer types or freezer to microwave. Best is to cook and eat fresh; to get all the potent nutrients and antioxidants from food
internaldisputes
post Apr 25 2017, 11:35 AM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

i'm new to this whole meal prep thing. started earlier this month. i didn't cook anything fancy the night before tho... just boil some chicken fillet, rice and cut some veggies. during mealbreak, i'll microwave them for 3 minutes, take them out and put some chili sauce. so far so good-- no gas to my stomach or anything. not sure about the nutrition and bacteria claims tho.

This post has been edited by internaldisputes: Apr 25 2017, 11:37 AM
knuckles04
post Apr 26 2017, 03:06 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

been doing it for a year.
don't seem to have negative effect on my body.
as far as i know, i got more result LOL
JurgenKlopp69
post Apr 26 2017, 11:52 PM

49 posts

i really depends on how you look at it imo. if ur colleagues say it's unhealthy to eat overnight food, then what about eating at a roadside store or some restaurants which are not so hygienic ? It's the same argument that can go round & round. For me i think there are more plus points if you prepare your own food then to eat out everytime.
TShenry1203
post May 6 2017, 03:07 PM

25 posts

QUOTE(JurgenKlopp69 @ Apr 26 2017, 11:52 PM)
i really depends on how you look at it imo. if ur colleagues say it's unhealthy to eat overnight food, then what about eating at a roadside store or some restaurants which are not so hygienic ? It's the same argument that can go round & round. For me i think there are more plus points if you prepare your own food then to eat out everytime.
The naysayer will keep giving you pressure and hope you follow the crowd.
MasBoleh!
post May 16 2017, 12:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,184 posts

hmm,

1. Eating overnight food losses the nutrition (If deep freeze and thaw, it is fine but if you reheat or warm it in any other way, yes it loses nutrients and potentially can cause cancer)

Cook a food is a form/ a process of heating a food right? just that it heat aka cook a raw food into edible food.

So does that mean it also can't be meant as cooking of the raw foods will result in losing nutrients etc? hmm.gif
MonGJiHyo
post May 16 2017, 09:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,699 posts

ask your colleague back: Is it healthy to eat at outside?? laugh.gif
abubin
post May 16 2017, 10:13 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

instead of using microwave, use this:

Electric Lunch Box
http://www.lazada.com.my/malaysia-power-pl...ml?ff=1&sc=EcMZ

It will heat the food using heat instead of microwaves. Much more healthier. Overnight food is fine if you fridge it up nicely.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0140sec    0.54    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:17 PM