Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

a newbie trying to build iOS App, sifu welcome to advise me, thx a lot :)

views

TSsuper_ranger
post Apr 22 2017, 11:10 PM, updated 7y ago

7 posts

hihi... pls forgive me if I ask some stupid question ya? since I am just stepped into the coding industry... tongue.gif

I m interested to develop iOS App, is it a MUST to own a Macbook? I researched online and found that there are few softwares such as PhoneGap, Unity3D which can do cross-platform developing task.

I think I can still continue to use my current laptop running Windows and download PhoneGap or Unity3D to develop iOS App, without a need to buy a macbook. Am I right?
gangsa
post Apr 22 2017, 11:14 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

now got multi apps that allow you to code program and compile to iOS or Android base. what u need is to Find the RIGHT TOOLS or Software not changing to MacBook.
TSsuper_ranger
post Apr 23 2017, 11:40 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(gangsa @ Apr 22 2017, 11:14 PM)
now got multi apps that allow you to code program and compile to iOS or Android base. what u need is to Find the RIGHT TOOLS or Software not changing to MacBook.
thks for ur guidance, let's say i am using Unity3D to develop both iOS Game and Android Game, I still need a Macbook in order for me to upload it into Appstore right? Please correct me if I was wrong, thanks so much~ smile.gif
alien3d
post Apr 23 2017, 04:33 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(super_ranger @ Apr 23 2017, 11:40 AM)
thks for ur guidance, let's say i am using Unity3D to develop both iOS Game and Android Game, I still need a Macbook in order for me to upload it into Appstore right? Please correct me if I was wrong, thanks so much~  smile.gif
yes you needed it.. you may buy apple developer and use third party.. but can be trusted ? drool.gif
anti-informatic
post Apr 23 2017, 09:48 PM

Enthusiast
902 posts

No it's not a must to own a Macbook, although that is most preferable by Apple.

In my case, I use Visual Studio with Telerik platform to develop for iOS and Android. I'm using Cordova, which is based on phone gap to do hybrid app.

Telerik platform allow you to publish your app for testflight and to App Store, so you don't really need a Macbook. But Telerik platform come with a price, it's extremely expensive if you want to for personal usage. Especially when registering for Apple Developer account to register and publish your app is also another type of costing.

If you just want to learn, you can go for phonegap, or Cordova which is newer and with more features.
gangsa
post Apr 24 2017, 04:34 AM

Getting Started
64 posts

QUOTE(super_ranger @ Apr 23 2017, 11:40 AM)
thks for ur guidance, let's say i am using Unity3D to develop both iOS Game and Android Game, I still need a Macbook in order for me to upload it into Appstore right? Please correct me if I was wrong, thanks so much~  smile.gif
NO. nothing to do with MacBook at the 1st place. Just need to buy some sort like developer license to allow you to post your apps into Apple Store

but from what you said, i can see your obsess with MacBook brows.gif brows.gif haha
alien3d
post Apr 24 2017, 09:28 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(gangsa @ Apr 24 2017, 04:34 AM)
NO. nothing to do with MacBook at the 1st place. Just need to buy some sort like developer license to allow you to post your apps into Apple Store

but from what you said, i can see your obsess with MacBook  brows.gif  brows.gif  haha
haha.. must have must have.. devil.gif Either ts never code or boss thinking want to venture this lucrative business
TSsuper_ranger
post Apr 24 2017, 11:48 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(gangsa @ Apr 24 2017, 04:34 AM)

but from what you said, i can see your obsess with MacBook  brows.gif  brows.gif  haha
QUOTE(alien3d @ Apr 24 2017, 09:28 AM)
haha.. must have must have.. devil.gif  Either ts never code or boss thinking want to venture this  lucrative business
Haha... Coz I m short of budget, thinking to upgrade my current laptop, MacBook quite expensive and if I spend around rm4000 on another laptop, I believe the laptop will be more higher spec than the MacBook...

TSsuper_ranger
post Apr 24 2017, 11:51 AM

7 posts

So we can concluded that there is not a must to code ios app in Xcode with swift programming language rite? We can code the ios app in unity 3D or PhoneGap with JavaScript?
alien3d
post Apr 24 2017, 11:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(super_ranger @ Apr 24 2017, 11:48 AM)
Haha... Coz I m short of budget, thinking to upgrade my current laptop, MacBook quite expensive and if I spend around rm4000 on another laptop, I believe the laptop will be more higher spec than the MacBook...
the cheapest only mac mini 2099 but it's 3 year old period spec.. or you wait till new mac mini if exist in september and will come malaysia on december..
Is part either was urgent or not.. but if you can income 50k why not spend 4k ? unless you're student .. just buy ipad and learn swift playground lah

TSsuper_ranger
post Apr 25 2017, 12:18 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(alien3d @ Apr 24 2017, 11:54 AM)
the cheapest only mac mini 2099 but it's 3 year old period spec..  or you wait till new mac mini if exist in september and will come malaysia on december.. 
Is part either was urgent or not.. but if you can income 50k why not spend 4k ? unless you're student .. just buy  ipad and learn  swift playground lah
I m still a student n not too sure my app idea will bring me 50k income onot... Furthermore I haven't got any idea for my app also...

IPad only can learn but cannot code rite? To develop ios app, it is not necessary to code it in Xcode rite? We can code it in Unity3D or PhoneGap with JavaScript?
alien3d
post Apr 25 2017, 12:24 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(super_ranger @ Apr 25 2017, 12:18 AM)
I m still a student n not too sure my app idea will bring me 50k income onot... Furthermore I haven't got any idea for my app also...

IPad only can learn but cannot code rite? To develop ios app, it is not necessary to code it in Xcode rite? We can code it in Unity3D or PhoneGap with JavaScript?
not nessary but for me .. even using react native still need to open xcode to compile and test at the phone.. no choice.. unless you buy visual studio professional and have test agent like macincloud.. that the cheapest without buying apple macbook.
alien3d
post Apr 25 2017, 10:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

super_ranger
this may the cheapest way if you want to play xcode
https://www.compasia.com/products/apple-mac...ram?taxon_id=66
mac mini 8 gb...
a bit old but it should be enough..
TSsuper_ranger
post Apr 26 2017, 11:58 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(alien3d @ Apr 25 2017, 10:13 AM)
super_ranger
this may the cheapest way  if you want to play xcode
https://www.compasia.com/products/apple-mac...ram?taxon_id=66
mac mini 8 gb...
a bit old but it should be enough..
thanks for the link given and tat price is so attractive, will consider that hmm.gif

btw, the most concern thing is what programming language should I learn now in order to develop iOS app? Javascript?
alien3d
post Apr 26 2017, 12:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(super_ranger @ Apr 26 2017, 11:58 AM)
thanks for the link given and tat price is so attractive, will consider that  hmm.gif

btw, the most concern thing is what programming language should I learn now in order to develop iOS app? Javascript?
you may play swift playground using xcode and apple simulator.. understand it..
you still can play with react native, typescript but still need to configure something in xcode also..
you may play with apache cordova and when compile still need xcode also.........
sweat.gif

** i'm only focus on react native by now.. it's easier.. but still not mature and typing a lot weird es6 testing using visual studio code and apple simulator. blush.gif

PlayPlayHa
post Apr 26 2017, 04:19 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

Unity3D... u talking about developing IOS Game?
As I know, to publish Unity3D in IOS requires subscription fee...

I think it is a must to have mac machine to develop and publish IOS app to app store.
TSsuper_ranger
post May 2 2017, 10:58 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(alien3d @ Apr 26 2017, 12:07 PM)
you may play swift playground using xcode and apple simulator.. understand it..
you still can play with react native, typescript but still need to configure something in xcode also..
you may play with apache cordova and when compile still need xcode also.........
sweat.gif

** i'm only focus on react native by now..  it's easier.. but still not mature  and typing a lot weird es6 testing using visual studio code and apple simulator.  blush.gif
I have some basic knowledge of Javascript, it won't be hard for me to do all these things rite?
alien3d
post May 2 2017, 11:10 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(super_ranger @ May 2 2017, 10:58 AM)
I have some basic knowledge of Javascript, it won't be hard for me to do all these things rite?
they will be some people will said "It's not react native,react way" But it just a JavaScript core

https://developer.apple.com/reference/javascriptcore
allvin
post May 18 2017, 04:43 PM

4,506 posts

Are you focus on application only or games?

IMO, phonegap aka Cordova is a lame framework/tool, it's basically web technology. I suggest you take your time to study in native language (swift/objective-c) in iOS or Java for Android.

For iOS developers, you always REQUIRE to have a macbook and at least one iDevices (iphone/ipod touch*/ipad). The iOS core libraries are only available inside mac OSX and even currently their Swift language is open source but you cannot access the core libraries. (*Pretty pointless to learn Swift)

If you only care on building games, then Yes, you probably can write in windows machine with 3rd party tools, like unity or unreal engine.

Well, getting macbook or mac machine is a good investment if you are going to be in iOS dev path. You can install windows OS as well. So make it win-win if you dislike Mac OSX.

If you are out of budget, I suggest you drop iOS this market and go to Android market instead. Just my 2cent.

This post has been edited by allvin: May 18 2017, 04:44 PM
alien3d
post May 18 2017, 05:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

new
https://www.xamarin.com/live

unsure it will help or not.. Seem like
https://snack.expo.io/

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0138sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled