Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Collectibles Bootleg Figure Discussions

views

valho
post Mar 16 2007, 12:12 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,967 posts

some bootleg are actually prototype of the original figures, hence u see it b4 the ori is release,
btw not all originals have stickers though, certain figures that are distributed in both Japan and US might not have stickers on the US version

below are some comparison between fake and ori

left is ori, right is fake
Attached Image

difference in packaging quality
Attached Image Attached Image

and this rider is definitely fake, u can see the paint job is quite bad
Attached Image

the gits figures are some zero-type forum and the rider from a seller on ebay

its always advisible to check the figures u want to buy online first so that u have and idea of what the figures looks like, pictures from ppl who own the figures are the best as some pictures from site are actually from the prototype so there might be some differences

This post has been edited by valho: Mar 16 2007, 02:17 AM
TSheretic6
post Mar 16 2007, 12:28 AM

Getting Started
192 posts

You are not always going to see either sticker on an anime figure product.  And not having one DOESN'T mean it's not genuine.  BUT, if you do see the sticker, chances are excellent that the product in question is legitimate (unless, of course, the bootleggers start creating their own counterfeit stickers for these distributors; but this hasn't happened yet to my knowledge).

A related but trickier factor is the companies involved.  It's related to the sticker factor precisely because SOME manufacturers, studios (as in the studio that produced the anime show), and publishers (as in the Japanese manga publisher) slap on their own stickers to declare a product's authenticity.  And you the consumer have to be educated (by reading this article) to know WHICH companies engage in this practice.  The granddaddy of all companies that engage in this practice is Gainax, the folks who brought you  Evangelion and gives its blessing to the flood of Eva related products in the markets every year.  By now, you're probably familiar with Gainax' sticker---a tiny silver sticker or hologram with "GAINAX" written across, and "OFFICIAL LICENSED" right below.  The related/affiliated anime figure manufacturers Alter Co., Ltd., Good Smile Company, and Max Factory emphasize the spirit of hobby Japan on their sticker with a huge "H" with swirl around this letter in the hologram sticker, and a smaller "JAPAN" inserted over the H.  The hottest company in the Japanese gaming scene, TYPE-MOON also engages in this practice by using a hologram sticker with an italicized "Tm" in the center, "TYPEMOON" in the background, and some Japanese characters below the Tm.  Japanese animation studio Studio Pierrot uses a square sticker with the face of a clown in a circle, with "PIERROT" below the face and inside circle.  Japanese manga publisher Kodansha uses a rectangular sticker with "KODANSHA" in bold and repeated vertically within the sticker.  Please study the sample stickers below carefully.  [Please note that the NAF watermarks in these images were inserted ubiquitously to prevent bootleggers from taking these images and passing them off as images from their counterfeit products.]

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
user posted imageuser posted image
These stickers are EXTREMELY helpful in determining whether a product is licensed, and whether the anime figure in question is a counterfeit.  However, please note that there are many, many more stickers than what we've shown here.  And manufacturers will continue to create new stickers and to utilize other methods to authenticate their licensed goods, and to deter bootleggers.

The final two factors (quality and price) are also considerations.  But they're not very helpful if the consumer is making an online purchase through an auction site like ebay, where many counterfeit and bootleg anime figure products are sold.  One reason is that when you buy an item online, you simply don't have an opportunity to examine the product physically to evaluate its quality.  And if the seller sets a low starting price for the auction, the winning bid may end up low if there are few bidders for that auction.

credits to nutsforanimefigures.com //
mr lappy
post Mar 16 2007, 01:28 AM

Casual
397 posts

if u are buying online. check the toys retailers thread pinned.(ive now updated my post because of this thread coz initially i thought no body cared)

im still entirely convinced about all the hologram sticker things, coz it is extremely easy to reproduce it. however my rasionalle(grammar/spelling Nazis pls correct me coz i cant seem to find the correct spelling) is they are purely profit driven and cant be bothered to do the stickers as it incurs extra cost to them.

This post has been edited by mr lappy: Mar 16 2007, 01:35 AM
e-jump
post Mar 16 2007, 02:36 AM

┐( ¯3¯)┌
4,784 posts

QUOTE(heretic6 @ Mar 15 2007, 11:25 PM)
actually she looks better in real life, my photography skills suck tongue.gif

@e-jump
how much did you pay for the saber? she looks kinda cute, putting the paint inconsistencies aside tongue.gif
i pay rm59.90 for all 6.
oh well, did some operation to saber's zebra neck >_<

i've been eyeing for kotobukiya belldandy bootleg that retailed at rm90, where ori still retailed at rm239, but juz cant make the purchaSe. i feel like dishonouring belldandy by buying bootleg sweat.gif
TSheretic6
post Mar 16 2007, 02:45 AM

Getting Started
192 posts

ahahha, btw do checkout www.suncomic.com.my , pretty decent bootlegs there...be it pvc figures or gashapon.

@e-jump
for original figures...try play-asia.com ..they provide free shipping to Malaysia i think...not so sure. bootlegs can probably be bought off ebay.com.my =p

looking familliar? biggrin.gif
Attached Image

This post has been edited by heretic6: Mar 16 2007, 02:46 AM
mr lappy
post Mar 16 2007, 05:03 AM

Casual
397 posts

im speachless.....

STOP MAKING ME LAUGH MY ASS OFF!! tongue.gif
LilKeV84
post Mar 16 2007, 09:33 AM

9 posts

QUOTE(heretic6 @ Mar 16 2007, 02:45 AM)
ahahha, btw do checkout www.suncomic.com.my , pretty decent bootlegs there...be it pvc figures or gashapon.

@e-jump
for original figures...try play-asia.com ..they provide free shipping to Malaysia i think...not so sure. bootlegs can probably be bought off ebay.com.my =p

looking familliar?biggrin.gif
Attached Image
not onli suncomics, i notice animetech also do have smile.gif

yes, play-asia gives free SAL shipping to Malaysia biggrin.gif

OMG...dun scare me anymore! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by LilKeV84: Mar 16 2007, 09:34 AM
TSheretic6
post Mar 16 2007, 10:39 AM

Getting Started
192 posts

animetech not recommended. some of the bootlegs they even sell for original's prices. Take the ebCraft Saber for example.
valho
post Mar 16 2007, 10:55 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,967 posts

ya animetech sometimes do sell their bootleg at ori price so becareful, i think only XL and Time machine sell all ori figures, while the rest are a mix of ori and bootleg

i think hlj is a pretty good place to buy original as well, though shipment is quite costly but should be quite safe
UNDICI
post Mar 16 2007, 02:41 PM

2 posts

err.......... does KO transformers allowed here???........

1st time buy KO....tongue.gif ...from Grafiti toys @ BTS

and i have to say it's quite impressive...

so for dis item ....

-size is d same as d ori G1

-NO DIECAST.... which makes it much much lighter...

- all of d swords r gold coated... quite neat...

-finishing quite ok despites some rough cuts...

- NO instructions... so those who used to transform d ori 1

should get used to it...

- d guns are in transparent blue... LOL

- there is some loose joints... ex: tantrum's right arm*

but it doesnt affect d combination form...

not bad for a 60RM... i say....

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Rusty Nail
post Mar 16 2007, 03:04 PM

Why am I still here?
4,782 posts

LOL, i'd just about to mention transformers.

IMHO the construction bots sold at fantasy toys LYP looks almost like the real deal. except for the packaging though.

and the miniature ones are really cute. nice for display.
TSheretic6
post Mar 16 2007, 03:26 PM

Getting Started
192 posts

hey they actually look not bad, minus the weird colours and packaging. Why not spray paint them yourself? tongue.gif gunpla style.
UNDICI
post Mar 16 2007, 03:35 PM

2 posts

hahaha... or better.... do a costum colour Predaking....
TSheretic6
post Mar 16 2007, 08:11 PM

Getting Started
192 posts

biggrin.gif thumbs up to AnimeTech. Rei and Asuka Grimlock Edition for RM49.90 ! biggrin.gif
miloy2k
post Mar 20 2007, 09:49 PM

[[[[[IMPERIAL ARMY]]]]]
All Stars
14,807 posts

user posted image

my saber fsn collection sleep.gif
TSheretic6
post Mar 21 2007, 04:54 PM

Getting Started
192 posts

those are bootlegs? can't really tell...the saber in the same set e-jump has had a giraffe neck before modification tongue.gif
dinliner08
post Nov 7 2012, 06:05 AM

16 posts

looks like this thread is dead....
madmoz
post Nov 8 2012, 06:05 PM

4,250 posts

a list of bootleg figures available locally... now that would be a helpful thing indeed.
SUSgtasaboss
post Nov 8 2012, 08:41 PM

Requiem
601 posts

a dead thread or not, its extremely useful. no regret bumping a necro thread like this
dinliner08
post Nov 9 2012, 08:21 AM

16 posts

you can find the warning list for bootleg GSC figures or figma at its website..

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0174sec    0.35    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:12 PM