Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

torque and hp, confusion

views

TSkatopunk
post Mar 13 2007, 09:59 PM, updated 18y ago

United Pot Smugglers
2,342 posts

what is the difference between torque and hp?

lets say the car got more torque and less hp. i guess i do get the torque meaning. it's something like pulling power of the car/oomphhh (lajak they called BM)? ermm... like cars fitted with turbo.

how about high hp cars?

Added on March 13, 2007, 10:06 pmoh ya, some interesting site i found http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mhorsepower.html

This post has been edited by katopunk: Mar 13 2007, 10:06 PM
gkl83
post Mar 13 2007, 10:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

Let's start with some definitions. Torque is the twisting force produced at the heart of the engine, its crankshaft. Torque is measured in pounds-feet. One pound-foot is equal to the twisting force produced when a one-pound force is applied to the end of a one-foot-long lever.

For example, if you placed a wrench on a horizontal bolt and exerted one pound of pressure on the handle one foot from the center of the bolt, you would produce one pound-foot of torque, or twisting force.

The key word here is force; torque is a measure of an engine's ability to apply twisting force to the vehicle's crankshaft.

Horsepower (HP) is a general expression of an engine's ability to do work, expressed as a rate. Horsepower is calculated using factors of force, time and distance. The key word here is power. One horsepower is equal to the amount of power it would take to lift 550 pounds one foot in one second.
The phrase horsepower came into use in the late 18th century, when steam engines started doing work previously performed by horses, and potential steam engine buyers needed an easy comparison to understand a machine's capabilities. Although we're a long way from comparing horses to automobiles, horsepower's scientific definition continues to be the standard for defining an engine's power.

In vehicle specifications, the torque and horsepower ratings are usually followed by the @ symbol and a number indicating the engine's revolutions per minute (RPM). For example, in its specifications, the 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX is listed as having 217 pounds-feet of torque @ 4000 RPM, and 227 horsepower @ 6,000 RPM.

Source: http://www.drive.subaru.com/02_01_spring/H...ower_Torque.htm
TSkatopunk
post Mar 13 2007, 10:17 PM

United Pot Smugglers
2,342 posts

another one... good reading. http://www.jupiter-measurement.com/index_files/page0005.htm
tunertoobe
post Mar 13 2007, 11:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,309 posts

Horsepower is torque, do not get confused.
Horsepower is simply torque x rpm, with the proper unit conversion of course.
The proper formula is Torque x RPM / 5252.

By dividing with 5252, you are converting revolutions per minute into radians per second.

BTW good links there. thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by tunertoobe: Mar 13 2007, 11:10 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0129sec    0.27    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:02 PM