Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Asus Zenpad 3S 10 (Z500KL) startup problem, Occasionally pin cannot insert

views

TSscoutfai
post Apr 11 2017, 08:29 AM, updated 7y ago

Casual
433 posts

I have two units of Asus Zenpad 3S 10 (Z500KL) for my parents and both demonstrate the same issue.

When I start the device from off, or restart it from use, 3 out of 5 times, it will get stuck at the pin insert stage.
I will not be able to insert any pin or click anything, the screen does sense I click it but it appears that the input is not read by the device, just the screen response i have click it.

Video here shows what I mean.

So I have to click and hold on the power button for very long till it forced restart again. I will have to do this over and over till it can hit a lucky time where I can insert the pin, after that device will be load up normally and can function normally.

Strange behaviour, not sure is software bug or hardware defective. But both units I have also demonstrate the same issue.

Any user out there having the same issue?

Another question, any user out there feel that the left and right button at the bottom of the device kind of very insensitive to touch? have to touch multiple trial to successfully click it. (I have 3rd party tempered glass installed by the way).

This post has been edited by scoutfai: Apr 11 2017, 08:44 AM
TSscoutfai
post Apr 12 2017, 08:10 AM

Casual
433 posts

QUOTE(censett123 @ Apr 11 2017, 08:34 AM)
Asus is known for its bad quality control and useless after sales service.
I believe is the software bug, since difference devices demonstrate identical issue, sound more like a bug in the Android 6.

The insensitive buttons though is a bit disappointing, that have to admit. But otherwise the rest of the specs just nice for my parents use.

This post has been edited by scoutfai: Apr 12 2017, 08:11 AM
maedhrox
post Apr 12 2017, 07:08 PM

9 posts

QUOTE(censett123 @ Apr 11 2017, 08:34 AM)
Asus is known for its bad quality control and useless after sales service.
I second this. Bought an asus memopad 8 tablet about a year ago and the screen had this intermittent issue where it becomes insensitive to touch. Sending it in to the service center didn't fix a thing. The warranty has expired since and the bug still remains. Pretty disappointed with my purchase.
jq5169
post Apr 19 2017, 09:14 AM

1 posts

I also want to buy this model, but now see the problem I have to think about it
hafizhans
post Apr 19 2017, 09:19 AM

haa..ahnn..ahnn..aduii
1,484 posts

i own older model, zenpad 8 z380kl
never encounter such problem
TSscoutfai
post Apr 19 2017, 03:13 PM

Casual
433 posts

QUOTE(jq5169 @ Apr 19 2017, 09:14 AM)
I also want to buy this model, but now see the problem I have to think about it
The feature is a new security feature provided by the Android 6. It prompts for user password even before the Android is loaded, so I guess a hard reset (and thus formating) is not possible by intruder.
It's actually a good feature.

But i think this feature is custom made by ASUS on the Android 6, because my Sony phone which is also Android 6, and has very little skin feature, do not have this feature.

I had email ASUS Support and they have provide feedback, and release an update. I installed their update and now no such problem already, considered solved.

If it was not solved (just imagination), you can avoid facing this issue by disable this function.
You will still need to input password when unlocking the device but just no need to input password during boot up.

The left and right capacitive buttons insensitivity I cannot confirm is a design flaw or due to my tempered glass. I do not want to remove it just to find out as it easily trap dirt in it and hard to clean up such large piece of tempered glass again. Because this device mainly used by my parents who just use to watch tv streaming so it does not cause big problem.

Overall I do not think this is a bad device given the asking price and spec. Go to a ASUS store to test a real device for real user experience first before consider rejecting it.
TSscoutfai
post Apr 19 2017, 03:14 PM

Casual
433 posts

QUOTE(hafizhans @ Apr 19 2017, 09:19 AM)
i own older model, zenpad 8 z380kl
never encounter such problem
After I complain to ASUS Support, they release an update.
Now after install update the issue is not seen again. So I think my guess is correct, this is software bug.
Mind to tell if your device has capacitive button insensitive issue? Like have to try multiple times only can successfully click on the left and right button sometime?
hafizhans
post Apr 19 2017, 04:34 PM

haa..ahnn..ahnn..aduii
1,484 posts

QUOTE(scoutfai @ Apr 19 2017, 03:14 PM)
After I complain to ASUS Support, they release an update.
Now after install update the issue is not seen again. So I think my guess is correct, this is software bug.
Mind to tell if your device has capacitive button insensitive issue? Like have to try multiple times only can successfully click on the left and right button sometime?
i notice when playing game sometimes the screen not very responsive
decide to remove tempered glass and the problem improve but still not very smooth
but i think it mostly bcoz the hardware, my tablet spec is basic only
azrilyp
post Aug 9 2017, 09:47 PM

Enthusiast
741 posts

QUOTE(scoutfai @ Apr 19 2017, 03:13 PM)
The feature is a new security feature provided by the Android 6. It prompts for user password even before the Android is loaded, so I guess a hard reset (and thus formating) is not possible by intruder.
It's actually a good feature.

But i think this feature is custom made by ASUS on the Android 6, because my Sony phone which is also Android 6, and has very little skin feature, do not have this feature.

I had email ASUS Support and they have provide feedback, and release an update. I installed their update and now no such problem already, considered solved.

If it was not solved (just imagination), you can avoid facing this issue by disable this function.
You will still need to input password when unlocking the device but just no need to input password during boot up.

The left and right capacitive buttons insensitivity I cannot confirm is a design flaw or due to my tempered glass. I do not want to remove it just to find out as it easily trap dirt in it and hard to clean up such large piece of tempered  glass again. Because this device mainly used by my parents who just use to watch tv streaming so it does not cause big problem.

Overall I do not think this is a bad device given the asking price and spec. Go to a ASUS store to test a real device for real user experience first before consider rejecting it.
Is the screen made of gorilla glass? Btw, which Asus store can I test the device?
TSscoutfai
post Aug 10 2017, 08:04 AM

Casual
433 posts

QUOTE(azrilyp @ Aug 9 2017, 09:47 PM)
Is the screen made of gorilla glass? Btw, which Asus store can I test the device?
I do not think the screen glass is gorilla glass. From the specification sheet also do not see this is listed as one of the feature. So better take it as do not have.

I have a tempered glass installed on the screen myself for protection.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0148sec    0.17    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:24 AM