Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Help Make media files available in different apps?, iPad

views

TSaBcD-|
post Apr 8 2017, 08:17 PM, updated 7y ago

Enthusiast
935 posts

Recently I have installed VLC as media player. But my media files such as video only available in stock Video app, but not VLC.

I could use iTunes to transfer videos to VLC app as well. Doing this, I copied existing videos, to two different locations in order to be played by both media players. Consumed memory space twice, is there any way to solve this? Without jailbreak of course...
pokjak
post Apr 20 2017, 11:33 AM

Getting Started
227 posts

Unfortunately that's the way apps on iOS works, as far as I know. Media files have to be copied into the specific app via iTunes or iFunbox or etc in order to play them on that app. IMO VLC is a better media player compared to stock Video app on iOS as it support features like srt file, ability to play media files from local networks and etc.
firdausbhari
post Apr 21 2017, 06:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,193 posts

QUOTE(pokjak @ Apr 20 2017, 11:33 AM)
Unfortunately that's the way apps on iOS works, as far as I know. Media files have to be copied into the specific app via iTunes or iFunbox or etc in order to play them on that app. IMO VLC is a better media player compared to stock Video app on iOS as it support features like srt file, ability to play media files from local networks and etc.
Infuse PRO by far is the best player in my opinion. its just that it cost u $12.99 brows.gif
pokjak
post Apr 21 2017, 06:44 PM

Getting Started
227 posts

QUOTE(firdausbhari @ Apr 21 2017, 06:04 PM)
Infuse PRO by far is the best player in my opinion. its just that it cost u $12.99  brows.gif
I agree that Infuse pro is probably one of the best media player for ios... But the price sweat.gif ... I think I'll stick with VLC for now smile.gif ...
Ryonegma
post Apr 21 2017, 08:48 PM

28 posts

QUOTE(aBcD-| @ Apr 8 2017, 08:17 PM)
Recently I have installed VLC as media player. But my media files such as video only available in stock Video app, but not VLC.

I could use iTunes to transfer videos to VLC app as well. Doing this, I copied existing videos, to two different locations in order to be played by both media players. Consumed memory space twice, is there any way to solve this? Without jailbreak of course...
There is a workaround for this, but imo not very practical as doing so will still copy the video file from the stock video app to VLC.

First you need to download an app called Documents 5 by Readdle. Then, from stock Photos app create a new album and name it whatever you like, for example Media.

Next, select video files that you want and put it inside the album. Lastly, open Documents 5 and tap on Photos, allow access, and select the album that you made earlier. The video files should be inside the album.

On top right, click edit, select a video file, then choose Open in, and choose VLC or any other app that you would like to use.
TSaBcD-|
post Apr 22 2017, 03:21 AM

Enthusiast
935 posts

QUOTE(pokjak @ Apr 20 2017, 11:33 AM)
I see...how would use .srt file in iOS 10? Unlike windows, we have access using file explorer to locate .srt file.
In iOS 10, I don't see you could download .srt using safari on certain webs then have access to downloaded .srt file, must go through itune as well?

QUOTE(firdausbhari @ Apr 21 2017, 06:04 PM)
Infuse PRO by far is the best player in my opinion. its just that it cost u $12.99  brows.gif
Still new to iOS, have been VLC user all along. So far, it is free and equipped with all features I looked for, I am not sure if I am willing to pay for, in question of just to play video on tablet?

QUOTE(Ryonegma @ Apr 21 2017, 08:48 PM)
There is a workaround for this, but imo not very practical as doing so will still copy the video file from the stock video app to VLC.

First you need to download an app called Documents 5 by Readdle. Then, from stock Photos app create a new album and name it whatever you like, for example Media.

Next, select video files that you want and put it inside the album. Lastly, open Documents 5 and tap on Photos, allow access, and select the album that you made earlier. The video files should be inside the album.

On top right, click edit, select a video file, then choose Open in, and choose VLC or any other app that you would like to use.
Will try your method, thanks for sharing...
firdausbhari
post Apr 22 2017, 03:51 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,193 posts

QUOTE(aBcD-| @ Apr 22 2017, 03:21 AM)
Still new to iOS, have been VLC user all along. So far, it is free and equipped with all features I looked for, I am not sure if I am willing to pay for, in question of just to play video on tablet?
Yes its free. good enough for normal playback.

Infuse Pro offers more features such as online sub, metadata, synopsis, most video formats supported(some videos cant be played in VLC)

This post has been edited by firdausbhari: Apr 22 2017, 03:53 AM
pokjak
post Apr 22 2017, 08:39 PM

Getting Started
227 posts

QUOTE(aBcD-| @ Apr 22 2017, 03:21 AM)
I see...how would use .srt file in iOS 10? Unlike windows, we have access using file explorer to locate .srt file.
In iOS 10, I don't see you could download .srt using safari on certain webs then have access to downloaded .srt file, must go through itune as well?
Will try your method, thanks for sharing...
i usually transfer both video files and the srt file into VLC folder using ifunbox (free windows app alternative for itunes).... as it is easier to use than itunes.... install ifunbox on pc>open ifunbox> click my device>click app(it will display list of apps that you have downloaded on your ios device that supports file sharing) >scroll until you find vlc>click the folder icon(action tab)>a window will pop up & drag the video file and the srt file into the pop up(make sure the video and the srt is the same name)>done.... no need to sync... although you still need to install itunes on your pc in order to use ifunbox.... hope that helps smile.gif..

This post has been edited by pokjak: Apr 22 2017, 08:39 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0421sec    0.35    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:56 PM