Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Enquiries/Recommendations ILLEGEAR Q5 EVO review~, Photos and benchmarks posted soon~

views

TSflee93
post Apr 8 2017, 12:22 PM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
79 posts

Note: This review is solely from the writer’s point-of-view and the opinions and perspectives contained in this review are not affiliated with the laptop company, ILLEGEAR SDN BHD.

Hi, long time lurker here, first time review poster.

Before I was introduced to ILLEGEAR, I was honestly unaware that a laptop could be customizable because to my knowledge, unlike desktops; everything is built-in and the only upgrade option is to buy a totally new laptop as the “upgrade”. Then I came across with ILLEGEAR and although the ability for the customization is there, the price is well beyond my reach last time during my survey way back in 2015 I think. But lo and behold, I discovered the availability of ILLEGEAR Q5 EVO, with a tantalising starting price for a gaming laptop (RM3,999 with the default specs). I’m not sure if this is advertised in the ILLEGEAR website (got this info from their FB message) but it is actually possible to supply our own components to incorporate into the laptop body & can bring down the price even further! I then proceed to send them with my M.2 and RAM sticks for a final price of RM4,237 for a gaming laptop with i7-7700HQ AND GTX 1050TI 4Gb, which is unheard of! By doing so, I managed to maximize the CPU and GPU but still having the final price to be within my budget. I'll save some more to upgrade the RAM and SSD of this laptop in the future, the Q5 EVO has two M.2 slots which is nice for future expansion. I was quite worried regarding the shipping process because I selected the free GDEX courier option (I live in Shah Alam and it’s quite troublesome for me to travel to just to collect the laptop) but thankfully, the laptop arrived in pristine condition (thank you ILLEGEAR for padding the laptop excessively!).

First impressions - The build quality and IPS screen are simply astounding. I was expecting a "budget-gaming" classification would result in cutting corners on the build, but happily I was wrong. The black anodized aluminium material on the screen back cover complemented the laptop chassis nicely and despite the size of the laptop (screen is 15.6"), it does feel lighter than expected. Probably because of the material used on the palm rest and the laptop bottom(it's solid (doesn't feel quite hollow when knocked on) but I guess it's plastic, very solid though). The RGB keyboard is something else, though. I tried snapping a couple pics but the pictures don’t really reflect on how vibrant and colourful it is. I’m still meddling on the settings on whether to put in on constant Rainbow mode/a set of customized colours, but the matte finish on the keypads are a nice touch!

Regarding the performance; I’ve tested the unit using Witcher 3 (The GOTY Edition) and surprisingly, it can run quite smoothly with High to Ultra settings applied, I noticed that the fan speed does increase during the gameplay but the fan noise is not really discernible in normal environment. I heard it can also be maximized manually in MyApps centre, but I’m not sure how necessary it is. Maybe the sifus here can advise on the requirements when is it necessary to max the fan speed? The cooling performance of the Q5 EVO is, in short, magnificent. Initially I was quite sceptical in terms of heat dissipation because unlike other ILLEGEAR laptops, Q5 EVO doesn't come with IC Diamond (it uses its own stock thermal paste instead). But my worries were instantly relinquished when I found out that the GPU temperature peaked at 70°C - 75°C only during heavy load. The speakers on the Q5 EVO also performed better than expected. The volume can go quite loud but at the same time, no crackles can be heard from the speakers. A tip that I find quite useful is to perform some optimizations on the Sound Blaster to adjust the sound output according to your preference. One thing that I would like to point out is the Windows default setting that should be configured upon purchase. By using default settings (in Windows power saving) gaming performance would be hampered, until the FPS dropping down to 30fps. I would suggest to opt for “High performance” mode/plug in the AC line to keep the performance at optimum.
One minor gripe that I would like to point out is regarding the I/O ports. Well, two actually:

i) Unavailability of MiniDisplay/Thunderbolt 3 connectivity. External display option for this laptop is only limited to a single HDMI output only. But at least it's a full-sized one (no converter necessary) but I'm afraid a multi-monitor output is not possible. Oh well

ii) No USB ports on the left side. I'm a left-handed person and I personally am more comfortable in plugging my USB peripherals on the left side of the laptop whenever there is an option. The complete absence of a single I/O port on the left side of this laptop frustrates me a little bit, but I'll have to try to make the best of it in the long run.

Overall, I would give this laptop a rating of 9.5/10. Highly recommended based on the build quality and customization options with the incredible price/performance ratio. Thank you very much ILLEGEAR for the amazing service provided, very satisfying purchase experience!

Photos:
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
CallMeNick
post Apr 9 2017, 09:49 AM

Getting Started
115 posts

Nice review bro, if it is posibble, can you upload the picture of the laptop too? Cant seem to find it on the net smile.gif thanks
SilentVampire
post Apr 9 2017, 01:13 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

See here for the Q5: http://store.illegear.com/34-q-series

See here for their entire range: http://store.illegear.com

Not affiliated with Illegear, just looking at options myself.
CallMeNick
post Apr 9 2017, 02:05 PM

Getting Started
115 posts

QUOTE(SilentVampire @ Apr 9 2017, 01:13 PM)
See here for the Q5: http://store.illegear.com/34-q-series

See here for their entire range: http://store.illegear.com

Not affiliated with Illegear, just looking at options myself.
Hey haha, thanks for the website, but im hoping to see unedited photo , hope ts can share it with us smile.gif
AxelcG
post Apr 9 2017, 03:18 PM

9 posts

Hey bro, can you give me your configuration on getting RM4.2k with i7 and gtx 1050ti?
TSflee93
post Apr 9 2017, 06:46 PM

Getting Started
79 posts

QUOTE(AxelcG @ Apr 9 2017, 03:18 PM)
Hey bro, can you give me your configuration on getting RM4.2k with i7 and gtx 1050ti?
My configuration cool2.gif

ILLEGEAR Q5 Evo
Display: 15.6" Full HD Anti-glare Display IPS/AHVA sRGB 100% Color & Wide View (1920 x 1080)
Tune Your Screen: Professional Color Calibration (FREE)
Processor: 7th Gen. Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (6MB Cache, 2.80GHz to 3.80GHz)
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5 with Optimus (Pascal)
RAM: None (Not Recommended for Inexperienced User)
1st SATA Drive: None (Not Recommended for Inexperienced User)
M.2 SSD RAID Options: Non-RAID
1st M.2 Solid State Drive: None
2nd M.2 Solid State Drive: None
Wireless Network Card: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 2x2 M.2 - WLAN & Bluetooth 4.2 Combo
Operating System: Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-Bit Edition
Warranty: ILLEGEAR Carry-in Warranty with 1 Year Parts and Labor & Lifetime Technical Support
Accessories: ILLEGEAR Backpack & Velvet Sleeve
RM4237

The folks from ILLEGEAR gave me discount because I didn't opt for the free 8gb gaming ram promotion upgrade. You can even bring down the cost further if you don't want Windows laugh.gif
TSflee93
post Apr 9 2017, 06:48 PM

Getting Started
79 posts

QUOTE(CallMeNick @ Apr 9 2017, 09:49 AM)
Nice review bro, if it is posibble, can you upload the picture of the laptop too? Cant seem to find it on the net smile.gif thanks
I am trying to borrow a better phone to snap photos and they will be uploaded soon!
CallMeNick
post Apr 9 2017, 10:39 PM

Getting Started
115 posts

QUOTE(flee93 @ Apr 9 2017, 06:48 PM)
I am trying to borrow a better phone to snap photos and they will be uploaded soon!
Appreciate it bro smile.gif)
TSflee93
post Apr 13 2017, 06:37 PM

Getting Started
79 posts

QUOTE(CallMeNick @ Apr 9 2017, 10:39 PM)
Appreciate it bro smile.gif)
EDIT: Photos are posted in first post rclxms.gif

This post has been edited by flee93: Apr 15 2017, 10:40 AM
TSflee93
post Apr 15 2017, 10:41 AM

Getting Started
79 posts

Kindly let me know which benchmarks that I should do on this laptop, results will be posted soon!
CallMeNick
post Apr 16 2017, 02:05 PM

Getting Started
115 posts

Thanks man for the photo, looks gooding haha, maybe someday i go oval look2 around
xXAaronXx
post Apr 18 2017, 12:25 PM

My Love for AppleJack
1,170 posts

I've created a dedicated thread for Q5 Evo. Hope y'all can contribute as well

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4269074
Blablebla
post May 1 2017, 08:38 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

Nice review thanks for sharing! Is there any pictures of the machine that you can share with us? smile.gif
TSflee93
post May 6 2017, 11:06 AM

Getting Started
79 posts

QUOTE(Blablebla @ May 1 2017, 08:38 PM)
Nice review thanks for sharing! Is there any pictures of the machine that you can share with us? smile.gif
The pictures are on the top post. laugh.gif
pandera999
post May 6 2017, 09:32 PM

모든 것​에는 정해진 때​가 있으니
6,195 posts

wahh. congrats having the beast..... good review..... how bout other common gaming programs
nyhorikita57
post May 19 2017, 03:51 PM

20 posts

interested in Q5 Evo also, where can i view and feel the laptop? Im staying in PJ.
Smurfs
post May 21 2017, 10:45 AM

Regular
1,042 posts

QUOTE(nyhorikita57 @ May 19 2017, 03:51 PM)
interested in Q5 Evo also, where can i view and feel the laptop? Im staying in PJ.
Visit Illegear store at oval damansara.

http://www.illegear.com/getting-here/
nyhorikita57
post Jun 5 2017, 10:17 AM

20 posts

QUOTE(Smurfs @ May 21 2017, 10:45 AM)
Visit Illegear store at oval damansara.

http://www.illegear.com/getting-here/
I just dropped by last saturday to feel the real unit, it feels a lot more sturdy than my expectation.
Smurfs
post Jun 5 2017, 12:48 PM

Regular
1,042 posts

QUOTE(nyhorikita57 @ Jun 5 2017, 10:17 AM)
I just dropped by last saturday to feel the real unit, it feels a lot more sturdy than my expectation.
Which model u have tested?

Decided to buy?
lolzcalvin
post Jun 6 2017, 12:42 AM

shibe in predicament
1,519 posts

I am so attracted with the Q5 (non-EVO) to be my mobile workstation but the price...even more expensive than the EVO one.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0157sec    0.35    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:26 PM