Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Target Display Mode

views

TSpersona93
post Apr 5 2017, 04:00 PM, updated 7y ago

Regular
1,164 posts

So here I am sitting in front of my department's 27" iMac Late 2012 with a MiniDP to MiniDP cable from it connected to my MacBook 15" Mid 2014

Pressed Command F2, nothing happened

did a quick Googling and said I need a Thunderbolt cable.

Is it that different or is there anything I'm doing wrong here or am I missing another piece of hardware

Thanks all

notworthy.gif

wanna be hi-tech
post May 19 2017, 04:35 PM

Any self respecting GEEK, certainly owns more than a single rig
1,598 posts

QUOTE(persona93 @ Apr 5 2017, 04:00 PM)
So here I am sitting in front of my department's 27" iMac Late 2012 with a MiniDP to MiniDP cable from it connected to my MacBook 15" Mid 2014

Pressed Command F2, nothing happened

did a quick Googling and said I need a Thunderbolt cable.

Is it that different or is there anything I'm doing wrong here or am I missing another piece of hardware

Thanks all

notworthy.gif
Hi,

True, u need a thunderbolt cable. Though your cable may fit the imac's thinderbolt port, the mini dp wire cant provide the tnderbolt connection.

The hardware which is missing is the thundebolt cable.

Your imac can only connect with thunderbolt.

Requirements:https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

Also u can read up on this.. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/318988...art=15&tstart=0

Though your macbooks thunderbolt port can b used as a native mini dp, but the mini dp wire from that port of your macbook cant carry the video output to yr imac s thunderboltb connection, hence u need a thblt cable.

I know its annoying, that apple has to change the funtions and ports periodically!

But in the meantime b4 u get that cable, u can use screen sharing, which will carry your macbooks screen to the imac and vice versa.

All u need is network connection, either lan or wifi. The connection might be dodgy depending on the network..

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0121sec    0.24    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:27 PM