Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

About investment through bank, Public Bank Mutual guys come in

views

TSJokerNymous
post Mar 25 2017, 07:18 PM, updated 8y ago

Casual
310 posts

My friend introduce to me this investment and i wondering is tgat good idea to join in ? can anyone explain me
Cheeky
post Mar 25 2017, 07:36 PM

Getting Started
168 posts

You should read the book "The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John Bogle"

When investing in mutual funds, you need to watch our for their fees. Even if they tell you that their fees is set by bank negara, it is way too high. If I am not wrong, the fees set by bank negara is 1.5% that means mutual funds will charge you 1.5% of total invested regardless if they make money or not.

Also, if for example they make 7% profit, they will take 1.5% so effectively, you have 5.5% return. Over a long long run, this will have great impact on to total investment.
TSJokerNymous
post Mar 25 2017, 10:50 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(Cheeky @ Mar 25 2017, 07:36 PM)
You should read the book "The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John Bogle"

When investing in mutual funds, you need to watch our for their fees. Even if they tell you that their fees is set by bank negara, it is way too high. If I am not wrong, the fees set by bank negara is 1.5% that means mutual funds will charge you 1.5% of total invested regardless if they make money or not.

Also, if for example they make 7% profit, they will take 1.5% so effectively, you have 5.5% return. Over a long long run, this will have great impact on to total investment.
so you say its risk but there is good impact on total investment in the future correct?
sonic_darkknight
post Mar 26 2017, 12:03 AM

On my way
628 posts

QUOTE(JokerNymous @ Mar 25 2017, 07:18 PM)
My friend introduce to me this investment and i wondering is tgat good idea to join in ? can anyone explain me
i invested 5k in public mutual china iktikal fund before during year 2008, value drop lower than my initial investment cost until year 2017 bangwall.gif ....and last month I am proud to announce that I finally made profit and earn a hefty RM1xx.xx interest(after 8 years of investment) rclxms.gif rclxms.gif rclxms.gif .....What do you think now? Do you still want to continue to invest? mega_shok.gif
max_cavalera
post Mar 26 2017, 12:44 AM

rebirth
5,408 posts

QUOTE(JokerNymous @ Mar 25 2017, 08:18 PM)
Public mitual use to be great circa 2008 meltdown....

After that they are really woeful....

Suggest u to find eastspring, kenanga, cimb principle and rhb mutual funds agent instead
Cheeky
post Mar 26 2017, 08:41 AM

Getting Started
168 posts

QUOTE(JokerNymous @ Mar 25 2017, 10:50 PM)
so you say its risk but there is good impact on total investment in the future correct?
There is always risk in whatever you invest. I am saying watch out for the fees that they charge.

Let's say you invest RM10000, the fees is RM150 per year (@1.5%). If you invest RM100000, then the fees is RM1500 per year. This is regardless if the fund you invested in is profitable or not.

The fees make a really really big impact in the long run. You should select a fund with very very low fees (ideally <0.1%).

Also there is no actively managed fund which is continuously profitable. There is no such thing as a fund manager that can continuously pick wining stocks for 5, 10, 20, 30 years. They may be lucky for a few years but if you look really long term, then you won't find such fund manager.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/02/26/w...vestment-m.aspx

Cheeky
post Mar 26 2017, 08:41 AM

Getting Started
168 posts

QUOTE(JokerNymous @ Mar 25 2017, 10:50 PM)
There is always risk in whatever you invest. I am saying watch out for the fees that they charge.

Let's say you invest RM10000, the fees is RM150 per year (@1.5%). If you invest RM100000, then the fees is RM1500 per year. This is regardless if the fund you invested in is profitable or not.

The fees make a really really big impact in the long run. You should select a fund with very very low fees (ideally <0.1%).

Also there is no actively managed fund which is continuously profitable. There is no such thing as a fund manager that can continuously pick wining stocks for 5, 10, 20, 30 years. They may be lucky for a few years but if you look really long term, then you won't find such fund manager.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/02/26/w...vestment-m.aspx

Hammox
post Mar 26 2017, 11:16 AM

24 posts

not expert in finance in any way, but i invested abit in ASG via CIMB bank recently. 5 percent fees the first time, and so far they report returns around 4-7 percent dividend per year. may take a few years before returns cover your initial fees this one since under govt i assume quite stable la, put one lump sum let it sit at least 5 years. but you need to put at least one year to get the dividend, and they just gave out for 2016 recently...

another way, i just put abit of money aside monthly to public mutual via insurance agent.

This post has been edited by Hammox: Mar 26 2017, 11:17 AM
TSJokerNymous
post Mar 26 2017, 03:36 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(sonic_darkknight @ Mar 26 2017, 12:03 AM)
i invested 5k in public mutual china iktikal fund before during year 2008, value drop lower than my initial investment cost until year 2017 bangwall.gif ....and last month I am proud to announce that I finally made profit and earn a hefty RM1xx.xx interest(after 8 years of investment) rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif .....What do you think now? Do you still want to continue to invest?  mega_shok.gif
do you invest yourself ? in which fund you invest ? or you just place you cash in bond ?
v1n0d
post Mar 26 2017, 06:00 PM

Another roof, another proof.
3,197 posts

There is no substitute for investing on your own as you save on the fund management fees etc. It's not that difficult to do either, just read up online and practice. Mutual funds provide you an avenue for investment if you're too busy/lazy to invest on your own.
thesoothsayer
post Mar 27 2017, 09:47 AM

Enthusiast
926 posts

Markets are a bit high right now. If you want to go in, better play safe and not do a lump sum investment.

This post has been edited by thesoothsayer: Mar 27 2017, 09:47 AM
dasecret
post Mar 27 2017, 09:47 AM

Regular
1,498 posts

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...l=public+mutual

There's a thread dedicated to Public Mutual Funds, read from the back and you would see lots of people complaining.

A cheaper but not cheapest alternative would be Fundsupermart >> https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4193169

If you read the US centric literature/articles they would all suggest ETFs as the cheaper/cheapest alternative. But purely from Msia equity perspective, A LOT of mutual funds beat KLCI by miles; net of costs. So at the moment it's still better to buy Msia equity direct or buy unit trust than to buy index ETF
duckhole
post Mar 27 2017, 04:11 PM

Casual
379 posts

you put the money in FD probably even better investment

or play money game better returns and better risks
TSJokerNymous
post Mar 27 2017, 04:32 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(duckhole @ Mar 27 2017, 04:11 PM)
you put the money in FD probably even better investment

or play money game better returns and better risks
i hear that FD percentage is less than this fund investment hmm.gif
duckhole
post Mar 27 2017, 04:39 PM

Casual
379 posts

QUOTE(JokerNymous @ Mar 27 2017, 04:32 PM)
i hear that FD percentage is less than this fund investment  hmm.gif
did you hear that guy saying he got 100+ after 8 years investing?

you come calculate for me that %

also if you go play money game, one month they give u 20% u also make back how many years of mutual funds?

you can reduce your risk by not putting that much in one game.
joe_mamak
post Mar 27 2017, 07:12 PM

Casual
363 posts

I believe part of the investments goes towards insurance.

So, you might not get as much returns if it is a strictly investment scheme.

But it is still ok to invest, especially if you don't have any insurance coverage at all.

I did put in some money it all this insurance linked schemes. Just for some diversification.
ciahcra
post Mar 28 2017, 12:17 PM

Always hungry
897 posts

You need to assess your own risk profile. Can you accept if you lose money? If not then FD is your only choice.

Consult licensed financial planner/advisor. The proper one. They are licensed by BNM and SC. Not the self claimed financial/wealth planner like what most UT / Insurance agents claimed to be. Licensed financial planner will advise you which investment products to choose, after they assessed your investment and risk profle.

TSJokerNymous
post Mar 28 2017, 12:20 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(ciahcra @ Mar 28 2017, 12:17 PM)
You need to assess your own risk profile. Can you accept if you lose money? If not then FD is your only choice.

Consult licensed financial planner/advisor. The proper one. They are licensed by BNM and SC. Not the self claimed financial/wealth planner like what most UT / Insurance agents claimed to be. Licensed financial planner will advise you which investment products to choose, after they assessed your investment and risk profle.
but they told me i can play by my own and guide to teach me how to trade the money hmm.gif
TSJokerNymous
post Mar 28 2017, 12:27 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(fkmfkm @ Mar 28 2017, 12:22 PM)
they drive Porsche and Lambhor right ?
no they dont buy luxury cars but can spend like luxury right in different ways.
TSJokerNymous
post Mar 28 2017, 02:07 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(fkmfkm @ Mar 28 2017, 12:58 PM)
lately alot financial advisor come in super cars...
they earn they buy if we earn we can buy too

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0159sec    0.25    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:46 PM