Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

New pair of headphones to replace ATH IM50

views

TSmaximR
post Mar 24 2017, 05:02 PM, updated 8y ago

Remember who you are
3,864 posts

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. My first in-ear headphones were Audio Technica's ATH IM50, which I've used happily for several years already. I'm not a huge audiophile, so I can't say for sure what it is I'm looking for in a new pair of headphones, but I'd like:

1. Less than RM300 preferably
2. Sound quality that's around the level of my ATH IM50 or better; I listen to music, podcasts, video lectures...
3. Good noise isolation
4. Sturdy build. I've dropped my ATH IM50 quite a few times without any problems

I've set my eyes on MEE audio M6 PRO at the moment. Would it be an improvement over my old pair of headphones? What are you recommendations?
stevenstuu
post Apr 10 2017, 06:18 PM

6 posts

Hi. I used to have a pair of im50 and im02. I saw your other thread looking for a replacement cable and yes, the stock cable suck. It's cheap plastic that gets stiff/springy when exposed to sun for a long period of time. Exposing it to sweat speeds up the process too. I'd suggest you to stay away from ath line. They cable simply suck. Proprietary cable some more. In a few years a replacement cable with that connector will be very hard to find.

For less than RM300, any improvement won't be significant. Your im50 is one of the best bang for the buck at that price range.

My suggestions are saving up a bit and try BA driver iems. It's a huge step up from my im50 (dynamic) to my im02 (dual BA). I've never looked back since.

OR...

You can try shure se215. Mind you, different sound signature.

OR...

Get a cheap upgrade cable from Nocturnal audio. (cheapest 50-60sgd) and get a pair of china foamtips. They are not as comfortable as comply tips, but they last longer. Not by any means they are uncomfortable.

Cheers

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0104sec    0.27    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:10 PM