Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[Question] Strong USB Wifi Router, need help

views

TSdarksider
post Mar 23 2017, 12:46 PM, updated 8y ago

Enthusiast
845 posts

Hi, im looking for a usb wifi router for uses of CCTVs that use WIFI on a fish farm. I have four CCTV that are placed 8-15m apart.

The current usb wifi router i have is pretty unstable as the cctv doesnt receive good signal.

My requirement
- Wide wifi signals (preferably 15-20 meter)
- Not so high power consumption

If you know any models, your suggestion will be appreciated notworthy.gif
sHawTY
post Mar 23 2017, 12:49 PM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,628 posts

USB WiFi Router or USB WiFi Adaptor?
TSdarksider
post Mar 23 2017, 12:57 PM

Enthusiast
845 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Mar 23 2017, 12:49 PM)
USB WiFi Router or USB WiFi Adaptor?
usb wifi router. Using simcard for internet connection. all 4 CCTVs connect via wifi.

I need a good wifi router which can transmit strong wifi.

The furthest cctv is 20m apart from the router. This cctv always loses connection.

This post has been edited by darksider: Mar 23 2017, 12:58 PM
sHawTY
post Mar 23 2017, 12:59 PM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,628 posts

QUOTE(darksider @ Mar 23 2017, 12:57 PM)
usb wifi router. Using simcard for internet connection
We call that Mi-Fi, not USB WiFi router LOL laugh.gif
jio
post Mar 23 2017, 01:08 PM

Casual
368 posts

I suggest use a normal wifi router that support usb dongle instead. You don't really need that powerful wifi if it is only 20m with line of sight, unless the CCTV is behind a thick pillar. If you really want really cheap wifi, then mi wifi 3 with padavan firmware plus usb dongle will be a decent choice.

Edit: For your use case, receive sensitivity of the router will be more important as the CCTV cameras will be sending data instead of receiving.

This post has been edited by jio: Mar 23 2017, 01:58 PM
TSdarksider
post Mar 23 2017, 05:03 PM

Enthusiast
845 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Mar 23 2017, 12:59 PM)
We call that Mi-Fi, not USB WiFi router LOL laugh.gif
not mifi, im currently using a normal wireless router that has usb port. all my cctvs connect to the wifi of the modem, not from the maxis dongle with sim card.

QUOTE(jio @ Mar 23 2017, 01:08 PM)
I suggest use a normal wifi router that support usb dongle instead. You don't really need that powerful wifi if it is only 20m with line of sight, unless the CCTV is behind a thick pillar. If you really want really cheap wifi, then mi wifi 3 with padavan firmware plus usb dongle will be a decent choice.

Edit: For your use case, receive sensitivity of the router will be more important as the CCTV cameras will be sending data instead of receiving.
yes this is what i use currently, but my modem is kinda cheap (rm1xx model) and not strong enough.

mi wifi 3 good with 20 meter?

SilentVampire
post Mar 23 2017, 05:08 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(darksider @ Mar 23 2017, 05:03 PM)
not mifi, im currently using a normal wireless router that has usb port. all my cctvs connect to the wifi of the modem, not from the maxis dongle with sim card.
yes this is what i use currently, but my modem is kinda cheap (rm1xx model) and not strong enough.

What's your budget? Who's your ISP and what speed are you subscribed to? Answers needed to make recommendations.
TSdarksider
post Mar 23 2017, 06:47 PM

Enthusiast
845 posts

QUOTE(SilentVampire @ Mar 23 2017, 05:08 PM)
What's your budget? Who's your ISP and what speed are you subscribed to? Answers needed to make recommendations.
anything below rm300.

maxis wireless broadband, 5gb quota.

mii fi 3 recommended by forumer above seems good, but if there is better choice let me know biggrin.gif
SilentVampire
post Mar 23 2017, 09:53 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(darksider @ Mar 23 2017, 06:47 PM)
anything below rm300.

mii fi 3 recommended by forumer above seems good, but if there is better choice let me know biggrin.gif
Yes that seems to be the best suggestion with your budget smile.gif
jio
post Mar 23 2017, 11:15 PM

Casual
368 posts

QUOTE(darksider @ Mar 23 2017, 05:03 PM)

Is the camera or the router placed behind any pillar, blocking the wifi signal? What is your current router? Mi Wifi 3 is not particularly powerful but 20m with clear line of sight without anything blocking is no problem. My recommendation for Mi Wifi 3 is if it flashed to Padavan firmware as it the cheapest wifi router with OpenVPN support and pretty OK wifi performance. If you don't need OpenVPN & ok with chinese UI, then you don't need to flash it to Padavan firmware.

QUOTE(darksider @ Mar 23 2017, 06:47 PM)
anything below rm300.

If you want something that are more powerful & better receive sensitivity, then there is mikrotik RB951Ui/RB951G. There are other high power router within that budget, but I suggest you get one with VPN server functionality if you ever intend to access it remotely. Avoid using port forwarding. If you only going use it to let the CCTV to send email and upload event footage, then any high power router will do.
TSdarksider
post Mar 24 2017, 01:14 AM

Enthusiast
845 posts

QUOTE(SilentVampire @ Mar 23 2017, 09:53 PM)
Yes that seems to be the best suggestion with your budget smile.gif
thanks

QUOTE(jio @ Mar 23 2017, 11:15 PM)
Is the camera or the router placed behind any pillar, blocking the wifi signal? What is your current router? Mi Wifi 3 is not particularly powerful but 20m with clear line of sight without anything blocking is no problem. My recommendation for Mi Wifi 3 is if it flashed to Padavan firmware as it the cheapest wifi router with OpenVPN support and pretty OK wifi performance. If you don't need OpenVPN & ok with chinese UI, then you don't need to flash it to Padavan firmware.
If you want something that are more powerful & better receive sensitivity, then there is mikrotik RB951Ui/RB951G. There are other high power router within that budget, but I suggest you get one with VPN server functionality if you ever intend to access it remotely. Avoid using port forwarding. If you only going use it to let the CCTV to send email and upload event footage, then any high power router will do.
only wooden structures, so i dont think they interfere the wifi signal much. the current modem is aztech which is pretty worn out already [used 1.5 yr, last time use cable for CCTV, now change to wireless]

the mi wifi 3 sold in malaysia market (like 11 street) all flashed in padavan firmware or i need to do them myselves. i can read chinese, so even without the firmware i can set without issue right? will it support maxis dongle?
jio
post Mar 24 2017, 01:35 AM

Casual
368 posts

QUOTE(darksider @ Mar 24 2017, 01:14 AM)
thanks
only wooden structures, so i dont think they interfere the wifi signal much. the current modem is aztech which is pretty worn out already [used 1.5 yr, last time use cable for CCTV, now change to wireless]

the mi wifi 3 sold in malaysia market (like 11 street) all flashed in padavan firmware or i need to do them myselves. i can read chinese, so even without the firmware i can set without issue right? will it support maxis dongle?
You will have to flash it yourself. Not sure what dongle it support/not supported in stock firmware. For Padavan, common huawei dongle usually supported.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0123sec    0.30    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:48 PM