Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

LPF doesn't cut/censor films, not to be blamed for bad censor edits

views

TSgreyshadow
post Mar 22 2017, 04:55 PM, updated 8y ago

I bleed it out, Diggin' deeper just to throw it away!
1,826 posts

First, I need to declare I'm not working with LPF nor any associate agencies tongue.gif

When you're in cinema, seeing your favorite scenes censored, you're angry, and start cursing LPF for butchering the movies
but before you curse them, I would like to clarify that LPF is not really the one to take the full blame, they are still the one to be blame partially, but not fully tongue.gif

The current general perception is they are the one that chopping out all those naked/violent/sensitive scenes that is against our national moral value, and all those scenes are ending up on the office floor in LPF (Last time lah.... now all digital, stored on PC laugh.gif)

Anyway, actually LPF DOES NOT perform any snips at all to any films, those snips are perform by the distributors first before submitting to LPF for classification and approval for screening.

Once the local distributor obtained the original movie source (usually just a few days away from the first screening date), they'll do an internal review first, then proceed for either internal censorship or done via a third party company registered with LPF, so that the content of the movie is accordingly to the guideline set up by LPF.

Once the own censorship is done, they'll submit the film to LPF for review
If LPF find out certain scenes are violating the guideline, usually they will just tell the distributor those scenes need to go, together with a classification
Back to distributor, they'll need to do some cutting again if LPF instruct them to do so

Censorship is a norm already in Malaysia, due to the nature of you know lah
But not all movies are censored equally
some has good censor edit till you hardly noticed it
some are pretty bad with sudden cut to next scenes till you wanna throw rotten egg at the screen
and some with inconsistent censorship, like the F words are allowed, but the B*tard word are muted doh.gif
Blame the local distributor and their 3rd party censor company for that

PS: I heard there are basically 2 teams of reviewers in LPF, one is the younger more liberal team and one is more conservative older team. Hence at times you see some controversial caused by them. laugh.gif I heard DJango Unchained managed to pass uncut due to the younger team, and the current BatB fiasco was caused by the older team, but reversed by the younger team with some pressure from certain ministry.
skylinelover
post Mar 22 2017, 04:58 PM

Future Crypto Player😄👊Driver Abamsado😎😎
All Stars
10,509 posts

Haha interesting laugh.gif rclxms.gif
Baconateer
post Mar 22 2017, 04:59 PM

Meh..... (TM)
4,875 posts

but without LPF..those distributors themselves wouldnt censor it..would they?

they did so because they know all movies have to go thru LPF..

so if LPF never exist...movies wont get censored..
khainiz94
post Mar 22 2017, 05:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,797 posts

This is quite interesting. What intrigued me is that John Wick 2 does not have a lot of censor, but damn The Purge: Election Year all is censored from start to finish. Even the curse words are also censored. I'm laughing all the way watching that movie in GSC last year. You seem right about the censor. Most are not consistent at all.
TSgreyshadow
post Mar 22 2017, 05:07 PM

I bleed it out, Diggin' deeper just to throw it away!
1,826 posts

QUOTE(Baconateer @ Mar 22 2017, 04:59 PM)
but without LPF..those distributors themselves wouldnt censor it..would they?

they did so because they know all movies have to go thru LPF..

so if LPF never exist...movies wont get censored..
every country will have their LPF equivalent, like in US also they have MPAA albeit not gov related
Baconateer
post Mar 22 2017, 05:09 PM

Meh..... (TM)
4,875 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ Mar 22 2017, 05:07 PM)
every country will have their LPF equivalent, like in US also they have MPAA albeit not gov related
i know...i just wish LPF wasnt so strict about minor things..
defaultname365
post Mar 22 2017, 05:12 PM

Windows® 8.1 | Xbox 360™ | PlayStation® 4
1,097 posts

District 9 (thus far I've seen in cinema) is the worst botched job of cut/censorship ever.

Imagine every 'F' word results in the scene being cut/shortened.

And guess what?

After the second half of the film, they no longer did that.

The 'F' word can be heard.

They gave up? rclxms.gif

Inconsistency at its finest.
6so
post Mar 22 2017, 06:19 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

Do not underestimate the importance of political connection having a big role in how the LPF being run. The biggest fear they had when someone vocal at voicing complain at public forum like the newspaper or parliament where a big controversy happens. Especially when one MP decide to make a big deal about amoral influence from tv or films. Contrary to popular belief is not that religious figures who censor your films, it's just avoiding a public backlash.

Many years ago when I was submitting letters for approval, basically the tuan-tuan and puan-puan just your average pakcik and makcik. They like gossip and even here and there helping you getting a hassle free approval. The problem will start when a new department head start making changes or that guy connected to some Datuk who do not know what he's doing. Typical lah in local government agency.

Local distributor will imposed self censorship on their films or the office director happens to be golf buddy of the Datuk where negotiation being done under table. All the LPF ever do just give notes on what and where to drop and the rest up to distributor to take action. Not sure the appeal process still in place because it does exist during my time where the big boys will talk to the officers to reach a compromise.

So now I have no idea whether they are more relaxed or just stretching their muscle once awhile. Then again the local Buena Vista office also very gangster at bullying people to do their bidding. The mouse house just pure ruthless to work with as the same corporate culture existed in their HK branch where once awhile I did work for them.
matt jack
post Mar 24 2017, 04:13 AM

17 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ Mar 22 2017, 04:55 PM)
PS: I heard there are basically 2 teams of reviewers in LPF, one is the younger more liberal team and one is more conservative older team.  Hence at times you see some controversial caused by them. laugh.gif  I heard DJango Unchained managed to pass uncut due to the younger team, and the current BatB fiasco was caused by the older team, but reversed by the younger team with some pressure from certain ministry.
I remembered watching django without any cut.
you can see that Kerry Washington scene in full.
but there's a cut in inglorious basterds.

sadly, the hateful eight isn't shown in Malaysia....

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0115sec    0.36    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:44 PM