Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How to increase metabolism?, Weight loss

views

knuckles04
post Apr 17 2017, 12:38 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

QUOTE(heavenly91 @ Apr 15 2017, 08:22 PM)
Lol get your facts right

I had ppl around me lose weight and became slim simply by skipping carbohydrates and only take protein rich food
i have ppl get leaner but eating Texas chicken and nasi lemak. true story. can even intro him.
knuckles04
post Apr 17 2017, 12:48 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

basically,
your body uses fat, protein and carbs as energy source. they are called macros.
each macros has it's function,
protein to repair cells,
fat for insulation
carbs for energy.

bafukie
post Apr 17 2017, 02:19 PM

Regular
1,406 posts

Blame it all on carbs.. its the devil and the root of all fat gain.. banish all carbs forever from yr meals. Once done, u be muscular and lean n ripped n shredded. There, i said it for those who does not have a clue wtf are they talking.
Lionel90
post Apr 17 2017, 02:57 PM

I lift! Or so I think..
2,239 posts

QUOTE(heavenly91 @ Apr 15 2017, 08:22 PM)
Lol get your facts right

I had ppl around me lose weight and became slim simply by skipping carbohydrates and only take protein rich food
As ironic as it can get lol.

What u said is the simplistic advice given to general audience who cant really be bothered about the details.
Protein gives a higher level of satiety as it takes longer to be broken down, compared to carbs, so u feel full longer. The body also needs more energy (read: calories) to break protein down.
Naturally, when u feel full, u dont have to eat as much for the next meals, cutting down your calories intake.
So, weight loss/gain is all about calories in vs calories out.

Satiety do feel more like a mental thing, at least it's so to me.

p/s: do correct me if there is any broscience, would be happy to learn.
dayalan86
post Apr 17 2017, 03:28 PM

Enthusiast
962 posts

QUOTE(Lionel90 @ Apr 17 2017, 02:57 PM)
As ironic as it can get lol.

What u said is the simplistic advice given to general audience who cant really be bothered about the details.
Protein gives a higher level of satiety as it takes longer to be broken down, compared to carbs, so u feel full longer. The body also needs more energy (read: calories) to break protein down.
Naturally, when u feel full, u dont have to eat as much for the next meals, cutting down your calories intake.
So, weight loss/gain is all about calories in vs calories out.

Satiety do feel more like a mental thing, at least it's so to me.
p/s: do correct me if there is any broscience, would be happy to learn.
You are right about protein and satiety, however, satiety is controlled by a hormone called leptin. Usually in people who are obese, they have insulin resistance and leptin resistance which causes them to constantly be hungry or looking for sugary stuff as they have abnormal amount of insulin in their body. This is also found to be one of the causes for Pre-Diabetes and Type II diabetes.

SUSNew Klang
post Apr 17 2017, 04:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

Abnormal amount of insulin. What does this mean? Too low? Too high?

QUOTE(dayalan86 @ Apr 17 2017, 03:28 PM)
You are right about protein and satiety, however, satiety is controlled by a hormone called leptin. Usually in people who are obese, they have insulin resistance and leptin resistance which causes them to constantly be hungry or looking for sugary stuff as they have abnormal amount of insulin in their body. This is also found to be one of the causes for Pre-Diabetes and Type II diabetes.
JurgenKlopp69
post Apr 17 2017, 04:19 PM

49 posts

TBH, whatever u do in life is challenging, but if you really want to lose weight & put your mind to it, you can do it. I know it's cliche but it's the truth.. be it by exercising or by lesser food intake. My advice would be to lead a healthy lfiestyle, e.g exercising at least 1 hour a day, sleeping before 12am latest & eating right. That's the key to your eventual weight loss. cool2.gif
dayalan86
post Apr 17 2017, 05:57 PM

Enthusiast
962 posts

QUOTE(New Klang @ Apr 17 2017, 04:13 PM)
Abnormal amount of insulin. What does this mean? Too low? Too high?
Too much insulin. Google Insulin Resistance and metabolic health. Metabolism is more than just weight loss, but affects general health.
axtray
post Apr 17 2017, 07:24 PM

Enthusiast
707 posts

QUOTE(Evah.Linear @ Mar 17 2017, 05:38 AM)
Aside from walking/running, strength exercise, and diet? Has anyone tried some deoxyhemoglobin vasodilator microcirculation therapy? Just wondering if you heard it before... this was just recently introduced by a friend to me whose been using it over a year, like me she has a slow metabolism and it seems working with her. I just need some honest opinion from anyone in this forum. I really want to lose weight and as soon as I lost some 5-10 lbs- things get challenging.
lol since the first 5-10 pounds are usually water weight. obviously after that the actual deal starts.

you'd rather do some weird shit to your body instead of just building some discipline and work abit harder.

I can guarantee that once once you're done with the therapy, you'll balloon back. lol.

and that's my honest to goodness opinion. Other than going under the knife, there's no shortcut. rolleyes.gif

e_X
post Apr 17 2017, 07:34 PM

On my way
584 posts

Aside from walking/running, strength exercise, and diet? Has anyone tried some deoxyhemoglobin vasodilator microcirculation therapy? Just wondering if you heard it before... this was just recently introduced by a friend to me whose been using it over a year, like me she has a slow metabolism and it seems working with her. I just need some honest opinion from anyone in this forum. I really want to lose weight and as soon as I lost some 5-10 lbs- things get challenging.
If you really want to lose weight, you don't need to do deoxyhemoglobin vasodilator microcirculation therapy thing.

The is only one answer, just eat less but they are many ways to eat less, good luck.
SUSNew Klang
post Apr 17 2017, 08:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

QUOTE(dayalan86 @ Apr 17 2017, 05:57 PM)
Too much insulin. Google Insulin Resistance and metabolic health. Metabolism is more than just weight loss, but affects general health.
You need to think differently. I haven't google but this is what I understand.

High insulin is caused by high glucose in blood. Food consumed will be converted into glucose, the common energy currency in the body. Muscles cells that are not depleted of glucose do not accept glucose that the insulin is trying to deliver. IR happens. So the glucose will be turn into fat for storage. Do you know why after you pump muscles, the muscles will temporarily swollened and bulked after consumption of food during anabolic phase?
dayalan86
post Apr 18 2017, 10:24 AM

Enthusiast
962 posts

QUOTE(New Klang @ Apr 17 2017, 08:27 PM)
You need to think differently. I haven't google but this is what I understand.

High insulin is caused by high glucose in blood. Food consumed will be converted into glucose, the common energy currency in the body. Muscles cells that are not depleted of glucose do not accept glucose that the insulin is trying to deliver. IR happens. So the glucose will be turn into fat for storage. Do you know why after you pump muscles, the muscles will temporarily swollened and bulked after consumption of food during anabolic phase?
You are right with high insulin corresponds with high glucose in blood, this is the mechanism of how it works. However, pre-diabetics and insulin resistant people; they have too much insulin floating around due to the muscle, fat and liver cells in do not correspond properly to absorb the glucose which the insulin is trying to deliver. Thus, the pancreas is forced to produce more insulin to get across this barrier.

Over time, the insulin production may not be enough and thus cause diabetes. This is also the reason why diabetic and pre-diabetic or obese people tend to constantly be hungry or craving for snacks especially sweet snacks.

What about the anabolic phase?

This post has been edited by dayalan86: Apr 18 2017, 10:26 AM
SUSNew Klang
post Apr 19 2017, 05:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

QUOTE(dayalan86 @ Apr 18 2017, 10:24 AM)
You are right with high insulin corresponds with high glucose in blood, this is the mechanism of how it works. However, pre-diabetics and insulin resistant people; they have too much insulin floating around due to the muscle, fat and liver cells in do not correspond properly to absorb the glucose which the insulin is trying to deliver. Thus, the pancreas is forced to produce more insulin to get across this barrier.

Over time, the insulin production may not be enough and thus cause diabetes. This is also the reason why diabetic and pre-diabetic or obese people tend to constantly be hungry or craving for snacks especially sweet snacks.

What about the anabolic phase?
My knowledge is not much and I don't over complicate matters. Just make sure to meet weekly calories and workout goals.
dayalan86
post Apr 19 2017, 09:37 PM

Enthusiast
962 posts

QUOTE(New Klang @ Apr 19 2017, 05:04 PM)
My knowledge is not much and I don't over complicate matters. Just make sure to meet weekly calories and workout goals.
Yup and ensuring that you are not in hungry mode is also important. While weekly calories is important, another important aspect is ensuring that diet which is being carry out is adaptable for long term lifestyle.
Drian
post Apr 20 2017, 11:33 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

You should also check your insulin resistance. I have this believe that people who gain weight easily have insulin resistance. I don't think there is a spec for insulin resistance and it is not something doctors know about.

However you can measure yourself by plotting your blood glucose level at specific time interval after eating a "standardized meal".

I've measured myself and found eating a slice of pizza raises my glucose level to 10mmol/L at time=45 minutes but then drops down to <6.5mmol/L after 2 hours. Fasting glucose is 5mmol/L. You can buy those glucose strips from pharmacy and measure yourself at t=15mins, 45 mins , 1 hour , 1 hour 15 mins, 1 hour 45 mins, 2 hours. Plot in excel and you will have a blood glucose vs time curve. Measuring the same pizza test on another person , and that person blood glucose only spiked up to 7.8mmol/l. I can only conclude that I am more insulin resistant than the other person.

When eating 3 half boiled eggs, the glucose level only increased to 6.5mmol/L after 45 mins, a big difference compared to eating a slice of pizza.

Once you have a database of "food vs blood glucose chart", you will tend to be able to correlate also how full you are, vs the type of food that you eat. One thing I realised after measuring is how sleepy and tired I get after a meal heavy in carbohydrates. I'm pretty sure you know how some of your colleagues complain being sleepy after lunch time. Many people seem to think that it is because of the blood circulation to the digestive system. I have a different opinion. I believe it is because of the excess insulin in the blood.

billyboy
post Apr 21 2017, 09:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,181 posts

i tried deer placenta. my metabolic rate picked up. nose bleed too. will be cutting back. still experimenting.
kshen
post Apr 22 2017, 08:55 PM

If only these stars are edilbe
702 posts

QUOTE(Drian @ Apr 20 2017, 11:33 AM)
You should also check your insulin resistance. I have this believe that people who gain weight easily have insulin resistance. I don't think there is a spec for insulin resistance and it is not something doctors know about.

However you can measure yourself by plotting your blood glucose level at specific time interval after eating a "standardized meal".

I've measured myself and found eating a slice of pizza raises my glucose level to 10mmol/L at time=45 minutes but then drops down to <6.5mmol/L after 2 hours. Fasting glucose is 5mmol/L. You can buy those glucose strips from pharmacy and measure yourself at t=15mins, 45 mins , 1 hour , 1 hour 15 mins, 1 hour 45 mins, 2 hours. Plot in excel and you will have a blood glucose vs time curve. Measuring the same pizza test on another person , and that person blood glucose only spiked up to 7.8mmol/l. I can only conclude that I am more insulin resistant than the other person.

When eating 3 half boiled eggs, the glucose level only increased to 6.5mmol/L after 45 mins, a big difference compared to eating a slice of pizza.

Once you have a database of "food vs blood glucose chart", you will tend to be able to correlate also how full you are, vs the type of food that you eat. One thing I realised after measuring is how sleepy and tired I get after a meal heavy in carbohydrates. I'm pretty sure you know how some of your colleagues complain being sleepy after lunch time. Many people seem to think that it is because of the blood circulation to the digestive system. I have a different opinion. I believe it is because of the excess insulin in the blood.
Why not just do an OGTT ? Since what you mentioned is basically a homemade version of the aforementioned test lol. Plus, it's probably more accurate.
Drian
post Apr 24 2017, 11:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(kshen @ Apr 22 2017, 08:55 PM)
Why not just do an OGTT ? Since what you mentioned is basically a homemade version of the aforementioned test lol. Plus, it's probably more accurate.
True but this is homemade which means you can test anytime yourself and you can compare how food affects you.
For example which increases blood sugar more, economy rice with vege and meat or pasta or pizza?
bafukie
post Apr 25 2017, 10:47 AM

Regular
1,406 posts

The glycemic index is there for a reason. When u ate a pizza vs eating eggs... It's quite common sense yr blood glucose will rise higher for pizza since its a carb source compared to egg which is a protein source.
kshen
post Apr 25 2017, 07:39 PM

If only these stars are edilbe
702 posts

QUOTE(Drian @ Apr 24 2017, 11:23 PM)
True but this is homemade which means you can test anytime yourself  and you can compare how food affects you.
For example which increases blood sugar more, economy rice with vege and meat or pasta or pizza?
Indeed. But I wouldn't deem it entirely accurate though lol. Perhaps as a rough estimate? As for the latter question, it depends on the content of the food, refer to Bafukie's reply.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0137sec    0.29    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:15 PM