3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Working in Singapore V20, All About Living in The Little Red Dot

views

hc7840
post Jan 1 2019, 02:05 PM

Casual
346 posts

did you do port in from original telco? or sign up new number from yodoo?
Will it have any problem receiving banks TAC code?
i heard that if you change telco(same number) must inform bank 1 by 1?
hc7840
post Apr 13 2019, 09:54 AM

Casual
346 posts

Some job no need medical check up one. After you arrive sg, they will let you know need to do or not
hc7840
post Apr 13 2019, 02:41 PM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(knwong @ Apr 13 2019, 01:58 PM)
High keras EP holder no need medical check up like C-level executives
I am EP holder but not high keras executive level la. Just professional. Haha.
Just started working here last Jan and didnt need to do checkup. So no, it is not a compulsory requirement for EP.
hc7840
post May 23 2019, 11:10 PM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ May 23 2019, 09:54 PM)
Which bank? Last time I opened DBS account I vaguely recall only needing to show IC, Passport and copy of the EP.
Now need proof of address. Can ask employer to issue one.
hc7840
post May 25 2019, 09:10 PM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(Nicholas Kang @ May 25 2019, 08:58 PM)
Hi all,

I am currently a 20-year-old student who is about to enter university this September (HKUST in Hong Kong, of which my place is confirmed/NTU in Singapore which I intend to go, but still waiting for reply).

I have a few questions for Singaporeans/Malaysian expats in Singapore.

Some background info:

I plan to settle down and work in Singapore after graduating from my PhD (perhaps in the US/UK and around 28-30 years old upon PG graduation) but retire in Malaysia at the age of 55-60. I will inherit my parents house at Butterworth, Penang, so I don't need to worry about real estate in Malaysia for retirement. Basic amenities such as hospital, restaurants, shopping complex, and parks are available near my retirement house here at Penang. I don't plan to purchase a car in Singapore, although I will drive my parents' car when I am in Penang. I will most likely purchase a national car for transportation purposes around Penang. I will also reserve and purchase my cemetery plot in advance in Penang. 

Assuming that me and my wife are both PRs, my plan is to purchase an HDB flat in Singapore together with my wife (most likely a Malaysian, we will assume this is the case). That means I can only go for resale HDB flat which I expect will cost around 500k SGD now. I plan to have my children studying in Singapore and I would expect to pay around 200-500 SGD per month for now for their studies from primary school to pre-university level.

Questions:

1. Salary.

I was told that the postgraduate salary in Singapore is around 4k SGD per month currently. I would like to know if that is true.

From what I understand, the salary is rising at a rate of 3% per annum. Assume that I start working as a fresh PG graduate in Singapore at the age of 30, my monthly salary would be 4000*[(1.03)^10] = around 5300-5400 SGD per month?

I can expect to work in the fintech industry or plain academia at NUS/NTU. My current interest is in Physics, finance and a bit on computing. 

2. Work visa and PR.

If say, I failed to secure a place at NTU and would continue to go to HKUST and further my PhD studies outside of Singapore, then I found a job at Singapore. What type of work visa do I need to apply?

As for PR. When should I apply for a PR while working in Singapore, assuming that I never study there before? Is 2 years good enough? Or I can apply sooner? How long does it take, based on my info provided above? As for my wife/fiancée, if I am already a PR, will she automatically obtain a PR as well upon marriage?

If say, however, that I am enrolled into NTU, I am aware that I can apply for a PR upon 2 years studying in the tertiary education institution at Singapore. So, should I apply for a PR 2 years after studying there? Or should I wait longer?

3. Housing

As mentioned earlier, I am aiming for an HDB resale flat in Singapore. I would opt for a 4-room flat. (Expect to have 2-3 kids). Not sure if I should go for a 3rd Gen HDB flat though. Advice is much appreciated. From what I check on the HDB webpage, a 4-room flat typically cost around 400k to 500k SGD. I would like to know the following information:

The annualized price growth rate of the flat

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

The average cost of renovation for the flat upon purchasing.

The monthly house loan payment and the interest rate for housing loan.

The annual/biannual/? (not sure how often) maintenance fee (payable by PR only).

Any other advice on housing issues in Singapore are welcomed. smile.gif

4. Children education.

I am aware that I need to pay anywhere from 200-400 SGD per month for my kids school fees. I am concerned with the growth rate of the school fees though. As far as I can tell, the school fees grow at an annualized rate of 12-15% (on the other hand, salary only rise by 3% per annum in Singapore). (Please check if my calculation is correct.)

I notice that school fees rise by a fixed amount per year, with primary, secondary and pre-u school fees rising by 25, 60 and 60 SGD per month per year. Based on this value, assuming arithmetic progression and the MOE of Singapore does not change the rate of annual increment, my school fees for my kids would be around 500 SGD, 1460 SGD, and 1840 SGD per month per year for their primary, secondary and pre-u schooling.

I would like to have my kids sent to Singapore schools as I highly value their quality education. Any comments on the schooling system there?

5. Food and Beverage.

This is the interesting part. I have heard that a plate of chicken rice cost only 1-2 SGD in Singapore? (Sounds too good to be true.) My plan is to spend about 150 SGD per month on food and I will cook myself during weekdays while dine out during the weekend. Assuming current purchasing power, is 150 SGD per month on food in Singapore reasonable?

Another question on wet market. I plan to take advantage of the weakening MYR by purchasing fresh groceries and meat in Johor every weekend and bring back to Singapore and cook myself for one week, then repeat the same action until it becomes a routine every week. Is this possible? (How is the traffic in Singapore and Johor during Saturday and Sunday mornings? I can wake up at 6:30 a.m. morning during weekends. No issue.)

Also, what are the closest wet markets in Johor from Singapore? (preferably Chinese wet markets like those you can find in many places in Penang, I may need to buy pork)

6. Travelling from SG to JB.

The main reason I keep my MY citizenship is because of retirement in Malaysia AND the existence of good investment products like ASNB fixed price unit trusts and the good dividend paid by EPF. (I will pay both CPF and EPF.) Plus cheaper living cost in Johor as expressed in SGD. Let's assume non-peak hours and non-holidays. Maybe early mornings when I need to cross the border to buy groceries and meat during Saturdays or Sundays. Or maybe I need to settle my finance (deposits, loans, investments etc.)

What is the cheapest and most reasonable means of travelling between SG and Johor? I have heard that the train between SG and JB is very expensive, something like 5 SGD per trip? What about the bus? Is that cheaper? Other means of travelling other than bus and train? Thanks for the advice.

7. Wife employment and personal side income.

Let's say my wife prefers to take good care of our children but I need extra income and she plans to work from home. Is that possible in Singapore? I mean working from home while taking care of children. What are the jobs available? How much would her income be per month? Would that be something like 2k-3k SGD?

As for my own side income, what are other means of side income available for me while working in Singapore, apart from doing investment (I already plan for my own investment, would be around 30-40% of my monthly salary)

That's all for now. Hope to hear back from you soon. smile.gif
Kiddo you think too far liao. Who knows what will happen tomorrow. Just concentrate on your study first.
hc7840
post May 26 2019, 02:58 PM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(huaweie5830 @ May 26 2019, 02:49 PM)
Well yeah true

Should be plan A + plan B optional + Contingency + worst case scenario + kena toto 12 mil plan
he might has all those plans but he didnt plan on how to wisely use his limited 3 post per day. haha. thats why cannot reply more today.

hc7840
post Jun 13 2019, 10:54 AM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(KilJim @ Jun 13 2019, 10:26 AM)
Streets are much cleaner and well maintained in Singapore
That's one of the street difference
You go Tampines see. Cigarette butts everywhere. At first I also thought singkie very scared of their littering laws

This post has been edited by hc7840: Jun 13 2019, 10:56 AM
hc7840
post Jun 13 2019, 11:01 AM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(aLertz @ Jun 13 2019, 10:57 AM)
still much cleaner than malaysia sadly  whistling.gif
True la. Malaysia throw whole bag of garbage in front of your shop.
But still didn’t expect to see so much cigarette butts on floor in sg.
hc7840
post Jun 21 2019, 07:42 AM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(Financier @ Jun 21 2019, 07:32 AM)
that's high.. i though living cost only around sgd1500-2000
Depend on how you live lo. Myself haven’t gone over 2k yet. But I am single not much too do during off day
hc7840
post Jul 6 2019, 06:08 PM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(delsoo @ Jul 6 2019, 05:25 PM)
Guys, i will be working in sg very soon . May i know how did you guys find accomodation in SG ?
Found mine through connection and cable in sg. Haha

If no cable, might need to come earlier and booked temporary accommodation to see a few new places first. Try those room renting website. Simple google can find

This post has been edited by hc7840: Jul 6 2019, 06:09 PM
hc7840
post Jul 7 2019, 12:07 PM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(juann123 @ Jul 7 2019, 10:55 AM)
Anyone have investment in Singapore? Want to try some investment in Singapore that allow my money to grow but I don't know which is the best one? Been thinking to invest small sum of money like 1k, since I don't want to get a big risk.
Would appreciate anyone opinions. Thanks.
DBS Vickers. Buy stocks. Opening accounts all free and can be done at home. Just need to upload and post some documents.

Make some transaction every month then your multiplier account get higher interest.
hc7840
post Jul 7 2019, 12:11 PM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(coolguy99 @ Jul 6 2019, 06:37 PM)
Means if you already have friends there. Ask them for help to look for any nice places to stay around the area that they are familiar of.

As you may need to go down to look at those houses. It will be better if they help to perform the first level filter first so that you do not waste time.
You be his cable la. Later ask him belanja after got salary.
hc7840
post Jul 23 2019, 09:47 AM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(woonsc @ Jul 23 2019, 09:36 AM)
Lel, bro.
You MUST change bus always, u can't cross the border sitting the same seat broo. Lel. Haha

Custom go on board and chop yr passport isit
Heard story some bus company ask you to take another bus after custom. Like taking bus A from Singapore, after custom, there is a bus B waiting you. Maybe bus not full so they kumpul passenger together
hc7840
post Aug 23 2019, 11:47 PM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(pw8799 @ Aug 23 2019, 10:10 PM)
I started working in Sg on 12/8, so I will receive salary at the end of this month... Just curious, I will receive 3/4 month of salary or half month only?
You ask more of these questions at wrong people la, they probably will give you 1/10 of a month salary.
hc7840
post Sep 6 2019, 10:20 PM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(good1115 @ Sep 6 2019, 10:02 PM)
I'm about to leave the company, Manager don't allow to clear leaves, HR say not entitled, they are bullies because I'm Malaysian...
So you got worked 3 month or not? If not then kpkb say people bully.
hc7840
post Sep 16 2019, 02:25 AM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(stanteo71 @ Sep 16 2019, 01:12 AM)
Hi, here is Stanley from Prudential Johor Bahru.

For those M'sian working in Singpaore, please feel free to contact me at 012-716 0201 if you would like to take up medical plan and investment link policy with M'sian company.
no job in malaysia still can buy malaysian insurance? i thought they need income proof? like tax statement and stuff?
hc7840
post Sep 16 2019, 12:12 PM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(strategist @ Sep 16 2019, 10:33 AM)
errr do you think insurance is like repaying house loan? lol

the insurance companies don't give a shit if you stop paying them. Their policies will simply stop covering you, and you can't claim from them anymore
I thought investment linked type insurance will need income proof.

But yeah even house loan also people can get while working in sg.
hc7840
post Sep 23 2019, 09:54 AM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(danieltan @ Sep 23 2019, 09:50 AM)
using TPG simcard. 1 dollar charge.
Can have 2GB daily.

Worth totally.
Don’t charge you anything. The 1 dollar just authorization. Refund you back.
hc7840
post Oct 16 2019, 09:14 PM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(crazy25kid @ Oct 16 2019, 04:04 PM)
so you would suggest postpaid and get shock instead when u read the bill?
That guys thinking a bit different one. You see his reply also.
hc7840
post Oct 16 2019, 09:19 PM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(coolguy99 @ Oct 16 2019, 08:50 PM)
Would you rather have postpaid and have all your charges listed out, or have prepaid where you do not have visibility on what you are charged for?

During my time in SG i have been on postpaid with digi for more than one year, didn't receive any extra charges before, of course you need to be vigilant (i.e. not to accept any incoming calls, disable voicemail etc.)
If all charges listed out, totalled amount to 2k. What are you gonna do? You think digi gonna let you dispute and claim back? How you gonna dispute in SG?
Prepaid you just top up rm5 every 2 month to keep the number, the max they can charge is rm5. If main purpose is to receive TAC code, line not active also can receive SMS. And no way they can charge you if line not active.

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.2599sec    0.30    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:16 PM