3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Working in Singapore V20, All About Living in The Little Red Dot

views

garlicpesto
post Mar 19 2019, 06:23 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

hey! have an offer in hand to work in SG this coming July. Office will be at Mapletree 2 and rental there seems expensive.. Although a relocation allowance is provided (flight, shipment costs, hotels + meals while moving), was thinking of asking for housing allowance on top of that but it feels a little out of place since Im a fresh graduate... The worst HR could do is say No right?

Also, coming from MY, how was your experience like when you made the first move across the border?

This post has been edited by garlicpesto: Mar 19 2019, 06:23 PM
garlicpesto
post Mar 19 2019, 07:19 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

QUOTE(coolguy99 @ Mar 19 2019, 03:10 AM)
You can stay close to MRT and take public transport to work. Public transport is pretty reliable in SG. SG is much more organized as compared to MY.
The average rent nearby my office (10-20 minute commute) is $800 along West SG. I am looking anywhere between Queenstown upwards to Clementi too!

When yall go time got dapat any housing allowance ah brows.gif

This post has been edited by garlicpesto: Mar 19 2019, 07:22 PM
garlicpesto
post Mar 19 2019, 09:08 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ Mar 19 2019, 03:56 AM)
No harm asking but housing allowance is very very rare for entry level positions. Most people don't even get relocation. Anyway when I came over I got relocation plus 1mth food and board, everything after that sendiri settle.
I see. Work is by Mapletree but guess I'll have to rent further. Big sacrifice because Im not the biggest morning person! bangwall.gif

QUOTE(deadmau5 @ Mar 19 2019, 04:52 AM)
Lol fresh grad how to get housing allowance la. It’s a bonus alr that they give you relocation allowance.
Your starting package is above average considering that you still refer yourself as a fresh grad

Starting pay for locals is $3000-3300 (decent degree & working in non-tech/finance sectors)
Appreciate the feedback. Yeah I've only had internship experiences and this is my first full time job straight outta college. Some /k/ people were saying average for SG grads was 6k so your post puts everything into better perspective console.gif . Thanks bud!

This post has been edited by garlicpesto: Mar 19 2019, 09:09 PM
garlicpesto
post Mar 23 2019, 12:22 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

QUOTE(heybai @ Mar 22 2019, 06:50 PM)
Hi, I am also a fresh graduate, can I ask you something about the job? I was told I must get my degree cert before applying a job in SG. But my convo will be in Feb next year (7-8 months after I finish internship), does it mean that I cant work in SG for these 7 months?
same boat as you. My degree is OTW from abroad too but my employer did not say anything like that.
garlicpesto
post Mar 23 2019, 12:23 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

also.. anyone know any methods to sneak in a bottle or two of wines via checkpoints... Heard liquor is crazy expensive over there...
garlicpesto
post Mar 25 2019, 03:19 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

QUOTE(knwong @ Mar 24 2019, 05:17 PM)
Bring via car. Boot check is hit and miss

Other means of entry like airport, bus and train all need to scan X-ray
haha yes might pour vodka into water bottles and just leave it in plain sight in the car biggrin.gif
garlicpesto
post Mar 25 2019, 03:20 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

QUOTE(M4A1 @ Mar 24 2019, 11:06 PM)
dun sneak in
just declare
declare d need pay text right..
garlicpesto
post Mar 25 2019, 06:57 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

QUOTE(55665566 @ Mar 25 2019, 12:02 AM)
tax then tax loh.
better than you kena tangkap right?

fail to declare can fine up to x50 times of the original amount.
if caught can i act duno and tell them to buang the liquor instead.. like KL airports lol
garlicpesto
post Mar 25 2019, 06:57 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

QUOTE(knwong @ Mar 25 2019, 02:39 AM)
FYI if caught just let the officers confiscate if you are not willing to pay
haha ya thought of this. thanks la sir
garlicpesto
post Apr 5 2019, 09:54 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

Several questions regarding SPR:

I have a one year contract with an MNC with SG under EPass and would like to apply for SPR.

1. Is the 6 months payslip a compulsory requirement (if not I might consider applying with just 2-4 months payslip since processing time varies)?

2. What is the processing time like for you folks? Im afraid the processing time will exceed 6 months thus exceeding my contract period (hence asking if applying earlier than 6 months is recommended).

My info: 24, Malaysian Chinese, Degree holder with honors, fresh grad expected to work 1 year in SG then return home for 2nd. (required to serve second year in KL office), thus hoping to secure a better career with this SPR upon completion of this 2 year program.

I've gotten great input from a fellow LYN member in a groupchat but would like to see how was y'all processes like. Seems to be pretty subjective. Thanks in advance!

This post has been edited by garlicpesto: Apr 5 2019, 11:45 PM
garlicpesto
post Apr 5 2019, 11:44 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

QUOTE(knwong @ Apr 5 2019, 06:11 AM)
I think you are too ambitious. Slim chance if don't pay tax. Good luck
I figured... Felt it was too easy to score SPR after I got carried away with a handful of success stories. Even more so when they said being 'Malaysian Chinese' gets the BIGGEST priority laugh.gif I mean when the hell do my kind gets any priority in life anyway?! ranting.gif
garlicpesto
post Jun 21 2019, 10:57 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

wa my company promised EP for me but the agent suddenly say my IPA approved is S pass nia.

Actually not much daiji want right between this two pass? Planning to apply for PR within a year so hopefully its not much of a difference lah..
garlicpesto
post Jun 22 2019, 01:28 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

QUOTE(James1983 @ Jun 21 2019, 04:07 PM)
GG leh, I highly doubt you’ll be successful in PR application within a year
Yeah right! Iinm EP has a better chance of PR approval in this scenario?

Though the SOP is 6 months of payslip prior to PR application, I've heard of stories where applicants are only 3 months in with 3 months of their payslip that successfully got it lol.

QUOTE(James1983 @ Jun 21 2019, 04:12 PM)
For other nationals, not possible
But for Malaysian there is a slim chance that is possible

Apparently the EP rules for Msian is more forgiving
Mine is almost double of that, am a Malaysian Cina and still get S pass sad.gif
garlicpesto
post Jun 22 2019, 03:44 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

QUOTE(Thunder_Bolt @ Jun 21 2019, 11:05 PM)
Mind to share what is your profession?
1 year associate program with an MNC there. So yeah 0 work experience might be the case of me not getting the EP? sad.gif
garlicpesto
post Jun 24 2019, 03:19 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

QUOTE(55665566 @ Jun 23 2019, 06:07 PM)
depends on your age too.
if 5.6k for 40 years old also quite low leh?
ok la actually not half, more like 80% of the half.. but im 24 leh.. i tot sg gov wants fertile participants in their society.. hope they accept my pr!!
garlicpesto
post Jun 30 2019, 04:59 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

Hello everyone, my big day is finally here and in the midst of planning the move from KL to SG (Depot Rd @ Bukit Merah) next month.

As I am just a bachelor with a few things to move around and my parents are tagging along, is driving down or bus services more suitable? Thinking of passing thru Tuas but change my mind if Woodlands is better..

The current plan I have is:

23/7 - KL - JB and Airbnb at Nusajaya/Medini throughout the trip
24/7 - Head to SG myself via the first morning bus to complete my medical checkup @ Orchard and head back to JB to spend time with family after
25 & 26/7 - Lepak/shopping for essentials in JB
27/7 (Saturday) - Drive into SG and complete move in @ Bukit Merah
28/7 - Parents will drive back to KL from JB

A few questions:
- Is entry via Woodlands or Tuas preferred? I really need to arrive at the medical centre @ Orchard on the morning of the 24th as that is the deadline.
- What is the closest bus service available from JB to Tuas? Online says that Sunway Iskandar is the best but GMaps still says its about an hour journey.
- BUT if its better to start our journey @ JB Sentral, we can consider renting the Airbnb nearby JB Central instead.
- Is it a funny plan or should we just complete the full stay in SG?

The reason why we are only driving into SG on Saturday is parking concerns and to avoid VEP fees haha..

This post has been edited by garlicpesto: Jun 30 2019, 05:03 PM
garlicpesto
post Jul 1 2019, 01:01 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

QUOTE(55665566 @ Jun 30 2019, 06:32 PM)
Budget wise, I think this is the best way.
But this still depends whether your parent able to follow you travel in out and jam on Causeway.

woodlands vs tuas, tuas toll more exp than woodlands
bus can come in using 170x 160 170 950 using ezlink card from woodlands.

saturday morning drive from jb to sg should be not that jam.

oh ya forgot to add on, each car have free 10-11 days vep per year.
yes thanks! I will most likely enter via Woodlands now and drive in on a Friday.

I think I've tweaked it slightly better now.

23/7 - KL - JB and Airbnb at JB Central throughout the trip
24/7 - Head to SG with my parents via a 10am KTM train @ Woodlands (heard its super fast to clear CIQ as compared to bus) to complete my medical checkup @ Orchard and head back to JB around 5pm
25/7 - Lepak/shopping for essentials in JB
26/7 (Friday) - Drive into SG after 10AM and complete move in @ Bukit Merah + 1 night hotel stay at some fancy hotel (request of parents and paid for by me lmao, any suggestions for hotel with great breakfast spread?)
27/7 - Parents will drive back to KL from SG (what you'd think is the best time to leave SG here? Two old folks driving back to KL so i'd like to make their journey as smooth as possible)

This post has been edited by garlicpesto: Jul 1 2019, 01:05 PM
garlicpesto
post Jul 1 2019, 01:03 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

QUOTE(woonsc @ Jun 30 2019, 06:48 AM)
samne here  doh.gif 
after interview, took one week to give offer,
after offer took 1 week to ask me fill forms,
after one week baru put job on jobbank..
and after two weeks, say dint reached MOM requirements,
after one week, it's now..

I excited to work, but its quite long
I think I 1st malaysian ke?  icon_question.gif 
cant wait to work in SG
Relax, my application took 4-5 months to process too..
garlicpesto
post Jul 2 2019, 08:45 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

QUOTE(kenny B @ Jul 1 2019, 10:01 AM)
weekdays, if you go in via bus it'll just take 15 mins or so (off peak). take ktm, spend 6 hours on the train and still be in malaysia
fancy hotel? i heard st regis not bad, but i kuli never try before
go back from sg choose non peak hours before 4pm lo
i thought train is really quick, im riding the 5am train, will it take long? my parents are old so waiting is not an option..
garlicpesto
post Jul 10 2019, 12:09 AM

Getting Started
194 posts

Quickest Ive heard for PR is 3 months into their employment pass and their application is successful..

Anyway just paid deposit for a room at harborfront for $700/month without even viewing it due to time constraints, hope all goes well..

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0357sec    0.79    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 26th September 2020 - 12:18 AM