Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Working in Singapore V20, All About Living in The Little Red Dot

views

Fiona Chin
post Mar 2 2017, 11:59 AM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(kovin @ Mar 2 2017, 10:52 AM)
any other tips or tricks to earn from saving account + credit card?
Don't have 60k of cash standing by so just recommend credit card. For general usage, UOB One card is 5% rebate if meet the target. Not a bad card.
Fiona Chin
post Mar 9 2017, 04:13 PM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(bearbear @ Mar 8 2017, 10:28 PM)
2 years experience
food: go pasar food court lo, chicken rice 2.5-3, dai chow 3 can get. when I am very tight I try limited $10 a day. Go air con kopitiam sure have to pay 3.x to 5 a plate/bowl

tax here is much lower ba even without deduction for foreigner. if you convert you save even more.
15 years here.

Food: Go wet market buy and cook. Save a lot. NTUC or Sheng Siong also cannot fight. Go back weekly and bring whole week of food in luggage. Fresh and cheap.

Transport: Wait till got a baby then sure need a car. Baby stuff a lot. Bring them see doctor also troublesome especially in the middle of the night without car.

Accommodation: Lucky to find an empty house and the owner is oversea. Just stay in free and maintain the house.

Monthly expenditure for a family of 3+1 is around 10k. Where got cheap. The locals complaining living cost high is true you know.

Education will be a problem for my kid. Foreigner hard to get good placement in primary schools. International school give the impression of rich kids who won't bother to study. Discussing to pack bags and go back Malaysia now.
Fiona Chin
post Mar 16 2017, 07:29 AM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(kovin @ Mar 15 2017, 01:15 PM)
All the aunties and uncles here so kesian, so old still need to work as a cleaner,
I don't think this is for pass time, I believe this is because they have not enough $$ to survive
Common sight for big cities like SG and HK. Got time die no time or no money sick kind of life. But still got CPF right? Can eat that one no worry as long as don't spend it on the 30 years housing installments or the kids' uni fund.
Fiona Chin
post Mar 16 2017, 06:43 PM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(Frank3 @ Mar 16 2017, 10:09 AM)
Yea, intend to get citizenship to enjoy BTO, housing Grant, baby bonus, childcare leave, 4 months maternity leave (for my love), cheaper education...and etc.
God speed. Produce more true born Singaporean.
Fiona Chin
post Mar 16 2017, 07:19 PM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(knwong @ Mar 16 2017, 07:00 PM)
Just because Husband is the citizen, wife Maternity leave become 4 months?
The baby's citizenship, not the parents'. The kids are more important than the parents.
Fiona Chin
post Mar 21 2017, 09:51 AM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(Progineer @ Mar 21 2017, 08:59 AM)
Consider it as forced savings. Plus, being PR, you still have the choice to leave the country and take this money with you. Not saying you should, but the option is there.

I would be more worried about having childre  as PR. Since you still have to pay a higher rate and your male child will have to go through NS. If he doesnt, he will never be able to step foot inside sg again.
You can choose not to apply PR for your sons now and ask them apply on their own terms after 21 under the 1st gen PR scheme.
Fiona Chin
post Mar 21 2017, 12:14 PM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(Progineer @ Mar 21 2017, 11:19 AM)
Lets say u already have existing male child before pr. U think gomen will grant you pr without the golden ticket aka your son?

Doubt it.
Ya they will, my parents' case, my brother got his PR on his own application after working. As long as you don't rip the PR's benefit for your children like cheaper education and healthcare then its fair for both side. Once you start enjoying his PR's benefit and revoke his PR when he is 18 to skip NS then no need to hope will grant PR or EP anymore.
Fiona Chin
post Mar 24 2017, 09:41 AM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(Randomization @ Mar 23 2017, 05:56 PM)
Serious? Is that reasonable?  drool.gif
From what I gather, most people in this forum hardly able to get 1:1 let alone an increment.
Don't reveal your expected salary. "Expecting good remuneration based on my qualification, experience, network and other sai to the local industry market rate." rclxm9.gif
Fiona Chin
post Mar 27 2017, 04:27 PM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(ThanatosSwiftfire @ Mar 27 2017, 09:25 AM)
Im hoping for a 1 :2 move leh when i go back....
Good leh. A developer offered me 1:0.4 as FC. Cina pek company.
Fiona Chin
post Apr 12 2017, 01:52 PM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(iceypain @ Apr 11 2017, 09:47 PM)
anyone here with hsbc visa infinite or citi prestige?

pros & cons for each? i'm mainly looking for the travel benefits.
I got the HSBC visa infinite as corporate card. No choice have to use it.

Pro - free airport transfer, free lounge access, free golf course in SG and some discount in other places, petrol discount.
Cons - Dollar to air miles ratio is low, annual fee waiver success rate almost nil, expensive annual fee, 600+ without HSBC premier acc, 400+ with the account. 600 nothing to u la annual income 120k wub.gif .
Fiona Chin
post Apr 18 2017, 11:47 AM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(momijigari @ Apr 18 2017, 11:17 AM)
It's his/her choice. Might have to think if there's need to ever set foot in Malaysia or risk getting his comeuppance eventually.
News on PTPTN
Penny wise pound foolish. By the way, how much the PTPTN loan normally? So nice first class got discount some more.
Fiona Chin
post Apr 18 2017, 09:31 PM

Regular
1,172 posts

Last day to submit income tax filing. Heart pain period cry.gif .
Fiona Chin
post Apr 25 2017, 11:12 AM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(Thunderbolt8 @ Apr 25 2017, 09:54 AM)
do you guys think that it is worth to accept in order to gain entry first?
Up to you leh y need hear people say? People comment based on their own scenario which may not be applicable to u. 3k 4k you ask the few big shot here they say not even enough for them to pay for their atas meals. You ask those tight budget one 3k is lucrative can save 2k sgd send home 6k rm support family.
Fiona Chin
post May 2 2017, 11:18 AM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(TheReaderReads @ May 1 2017, 11:25 PM)
Oh is it? even after letting go off my PR? i still have to wait until 50yo?

I do know that Sabah and Sarawakians can withdraw in full but I tot they dun have to let go PR and still able to withdraw lumpsum
What so special of Sabah and Sarawak that they can withdraw CPF anytime they like without giving up PR? blink.gif
Fiona Chin
post May 4 2017, 08:48 AM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(CallMeGucci @ May 3 2017, 01:27 PM)
Hey I came across your post in the v19 thread on how finance is overrated in SG. It would be helpful if I can get some advice from you. I've gained entry into a Top 10 uni in the world and am weighing my options to finance my education. If I agree to receive a scholarship from one of the many institutions in Malaysia, I would be subjected to serving my bond in Malaysia for 6 years whilst receiving only pitiful remunerations as compared to the global standards. My question is how accessible is the financial sector (IB/HF) to Malaysian fresh graduates from overseas? Also, how do BB in SG view people from the Malaysian financial sector? Are the doors open to those from Malaysia at the VP level or are they essentially closed to those outside the BB circle in SG? Thank you in advance for answering my questions.
Nationality doesn't matter for banks as long as shinny degree. Cream of world top 10 uni SG won't be your only pick. The job will look for you, not you look for job. Take Malaysia's scholarship or not now then see your analysis leh, you accepted into Top 10 university, should be able to make the judgment call.
Fiona Chin
post May 8 2017, 12:40 PM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(CallMeGucci @ May 7 2017, 12:37 AM)
That's the thing though, as iceypain mentioned above, it is not easy to move from KL to SG since the experience is so different. Counterintuitively, it might be easier to break in as a fresh grad, since a lack of experience (other than internships) isn't a disadvantage for an analyst role in IB. Trying to break into PE/HF as a fresh grad is a whole other beast though.
During the good days, the IB will pluck out the top local grads before they graduate to fill the role. Those pluck out are given more opportunity to excel, labeled as "scholars". But if don't perform, they also will be kicked out.

For you guys coming over either as fresh grads or lao jiao, you will lose out to the fame of the local university, local exposure and network aka connections. Build up the connections in school or working during the time in Malaysia. You know IB has no life in the early 5-10 years right?
Fiona Chin
post May 9 2017, 09:32 AM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(CallMeGucci @ May 8 2017, 07:36 PM)
That's what I heard as well. Networking and connections play a much larger role in hiring here in Asia compared to other parts of the world. I am of course aware of the rigor of IB, but I think the learning opportunities are unparalleled and the skills are easily transferable when leaving the industry. I think the pros outweigh the cons, at least for me.
Good luck biggrin.gif . Actually I don't know why I was in IB. Its the norm dream for the locals then everyone follow the hype. Thanks to instagram and facebook for free promo on the life of IB people when they go on biz trip or vacation. Money is very good because you have no time to spend it.

After few years apply to transfer to management. Now 9-5 so happy even though bonus is much less.
Fiona Chin
post May 9 2017, 04:01 PM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(BrendonStar @ May 9 2017, 09:43 AM)
So true

From what I observe the trend is changing. In the past young bankers will brag to the ladies about which bank they work(When I started work there). Now they are silent because they are perceived to be as bad as politicians. It seems to be a taboo to be associated with them now. All thanks to GS connections with the politicians, they gave the industry a bad name

http://www.uncoverdiscover.com/humour/most...ssions/bankers/
When I first joined, my local senior told me very lucky for Malaysian to join them and after work few years can afford buying 5 series, condo no need stay HDB. My direct boss ask don't wear stuff from sales blink.gif . Department gathering invited them to my place then all diam diam. So dog eye look ppl down biggrin.gif .
Fiona Chin
post May 15 2017, 03:16 PM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(vincentleong @ May 13 2017, 01:37 PM)
You have good tastes in cars bro, BMW 330e. smile.gif I like BMWs too but I've heard too many complaints about frequent faults with the car. Not that there's a faultless car but recently the Audis with their new virtual cockpit really caught my fancy. biggrin.gif
BMW ok leh. Maybe its luck some batches have fault in the parts.

QUOTE(IwanAGP @ May 13 2017, 10:45 PM)
Another thing is... SG car max life = 10 or 20. Not like M'sia car can go 40 50 60 as long as it don't breakdown and the maintenance cost is reasonable biggrin.gif
Where got environmental friendly. Talk one thing, do one thing. Got a 15 years old car in SG, heard can extend till 30 years though. Still driving my 1st car in Malaysia age 19 years old when I go back. People so rich can change their car every 10 years blink.gif . Can buy a house already.
Fiona Chin
post May 15 2017, 03:30 PM

Regular
1,172 posts

QUOTE(CallMeGucci @ May 9 2017, 11:43 PM)
I think if one's motivation to head into the industry is money and glamor, disappointment is inevitable. It's good that you figured out what you really wanted and were able to make your own choice. When you say management, do you mean asset management or a corporate finance type of role?
Ya asset management for the company. Take care of the tables and chairs around the office biggrin.gif .

9 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0317sec    0.40    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 3rd July 2022 - 04:22 PM