Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Working in Singapore V20, All About Living in The Little Red Dot

views

knwong
post Oct 28 2022, 01:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,442 posts

QUOTE(wenzhenzhen @ Oct 28 2022, 10:15 AM)
Hi all, I got job offer in SG 2 months ago and my EP is approved. As I am required to go for medical checkup, can I go for medical checkup on that day I reporting to work (14/11/22)? HR insisted me to go for medical checkup and wait for report out then can start work. I dont want to have the hassle to come to SG and go back to KL as my rental starting date is 12/11/22 and my joining date is 14/11/22.

Please advise
Medical check-up if it's required by Ministry of Manpower don't think it's negotiable. If it's company requirements perhaps can still compromise. Just follow the instruction, if not it'll leave bad record. Last time my company uses AIA panel of clinics - they even have clinic coverage in JB. Many clinics in JB provide health screening for SG job applicants, very common

QUOTE(marsha1l @ Oct 28 2022, 12:44 PM)
Depends where u work at. I stayed in Runsack, bought through trip.com. Early book should give better price, 30days can get +-1k sgd range.
Check HR employer if they have panel clinic in SG or MY,better to confirm and get it done before arriving SG. Depending on what kind of check, you may get the result same day or in few days.
During COVID lockdown, hotel occupancy is so low - I ever rented hotel room in Orchard for SGD50 nett per day. Dirt cheap
BoomerangCircles
post Oct 28 2022, 01:28 PM

Getting Started
181 posts

QUOTE(wenzhenzhen @ Oct 28 2022, 10:15 AM)
Hi all, I got job offer in SG 2 months ago and my EP is approved. As I am required to go for medical checkup, can I go for medical checkup on that day I reporting to work (14/11/22)? HR insisted me to go for medical checkup and wait for report out then can start work. I dont want to have the hassle to come to SG and go back to KL as my rental starting date is 12/11/22 and my joining date is 14/11/22.

Please advise
Hi, can i know how long it take from application of EP to EP approved?
Jestarz
post Oct 31 2022, 08:47 PM

Getting Started
114 posts

A tip I have, if you are looking to get a sim card on the first day you reach Singapore - you can actually get it at M1. Just need IPA letter and Passport. Process took maybe 15 - 20 mins? Got SIM card straightaway, no need pay anything until next bill and activated within an hour. Don't need proof of adddress, they used my employer's office.

The current deal is quite worth it imo, at $20 for 100gb lifetime.

Did mine at M1 Bugis Junction.
Mackiddo
post Nov 1 2022, 09:30 PM

† St. David †
5,825 posts

QUOTE(Jestarz @ Oct 31 2022, 08:47 PM)
A tip I have, if you are looking to get a sim card on the first day you reach Singapore - you can actually get it at M1. Just need IPA letter and Passport. Process took maybe 15 - 20 mins? Got SIM card straightaway, no need pay anything until next bill and activated within an hour. Don't need proof of adddress, they used my employer's office.

The current deal is quite worth it imo, at $20 for 100gb lifetime.

Did mine at M1 Bugis Junction.
M1 have probably the worst coverage area.

This post has been edited by Mackiddo: Nov 1 2022, 09:30 PM
wenzhenzhen
post Nov 1 2022, 11:06 PM

Getting Started
111 posts

QUOTE(knwong @ Oct 28 2022, 01:23 PM)
Medical check-up if it's required by Ministry of Manpower don't think it's negotiable. If it's company requirements perhaps can still compromise. Just follow the instruction, if not it'll leave bad record. Last time my company uses AIA panel of clinics - they even have clinic coverage in JB. Many clinics in JB provide health screening for SG job applicants, very common
During COVID lockdown, hotel occupancy is so low - I ever rented hotel room in Orchard for SGD50 nett per day. Dirt cheap
Hi, thanks for your quick reply. Too bad my company panel clinic is Acumed SG, so need to do medical checkup in SG. I asked HR and she allowed me to go for medical checkup on the 1st of reporting work. So, I will go to clinic on 14/11 afternoon, after collecting necessary stuffs

wenzhenzhen
post Nov 1 2022, 11:07 PM

Getting Started
111 posts

QUOTE(marsha1l @ Oct 28 2022, 12:44 PM)
Depends where u work at. I stayed in Runsack, bought through trip.com. Early book should give better price, 30days can get +-1k sgd range.
Check HR employer if they have panel clinic in SG or MY,better to confirm and get it done before arriving SG. Depending on what kind of check, you may get the result same day or in few days.
HR told me it takes 3-5 days for report to be released. I talked to HR and they allowed me to go for medicla checkup on 1st day of reporting to work which can save the hassle.
wenzhenzhen
post Nov 1 2022, 11:08 PM

Getting Started
111 posts

QUOTE(rush25 @ Oct 28 2022, 12:18 PM)
Medical checkup result typically takes around 3days before the clinic shares the report.
Better check your company HR if they are okay with your arrangement.

FYI, there are cases IPA got retracted due to failing health check, so your HR would still insist on getting the result first.
I talked to them and they are ok with my arrangement. At least save much of my hassle.

JoeYoung
post Nov 2 2022, 01:00 PM

Getting Started
124 posts

QUOTE(Mackiddo @ Nov 1 2022, 09:30 PM)
I just changed to Circles which is sub from M1. Bloody regret.
Jestarz
post Nov 2 2022, 01:14 PM

Getting Started
114 posts

QUOTE(Mackiddo @ Nov 1 2022, 09:30 PM)
Is it? Well, it's okay - there's no cancellation fee, and i can cancel anytime. I'll just cancel after I get all my stuff settled.
VinluV
post Nov 2 2022, 04:51 PM

wow very biscit
1,940 posts

QUOTE(Jestarz @ Nov 2 2022, 01:14 PM)
Is it? Well, it's okay - there's no cancellation fee, and i can cancel anytime. I'll just cancel after I get all my stuff settled.
All the sim only plans are the same bro.
singtel /GOMO has the best coverage but pricing is not so good.
no cancelation fee, but if u cancel halfway through the month, u still have to pay for the whole month.
deodorant
post Nov 3 2022, 04:10 AM

Surfing LYN instead of Working.
5,690 posts

QUOTE(Jestarz @ Nov 2 2022, 01:14 PM)
It is. After my last StarHub contract ended I moved to Singtel/gomo and then M1 a month later and M1 is noticeably the worst among all three telcos, but objectively speaking 'worst' doesn't mean 'bad.' The price is cheap enough that I'm still using it a few months later and haven't bothered changing back.
gome
post Nov 3 2022, 11:54 PM

Casual
485 posts

Just a note about telco MNP rules:
1. You can MNP from telco A postpaid to telco B postpaid
2. You can MNP from telco A prepaid to telco B prepaid
3. You cannot MNP from telco A prepaid to telco B postpaid
4. You can only convert from telco A prepaid to telco A postpaid

If you started out with a prepaid sim (i.e. Singtel HiCard), the normal route is to convert it to postpaid within the same telco (i.e. to some Singtel postpaid plan). This can be expensive (some telco charge for prepaid->postpaid conversion, on top of the normal postpaid plan charge).

There is a potentially cheaper alternative - convert from telco A prepaid to Simba "50GB sim only". What Simba does is they convert your current prepaid (from another telco) to Simba 'prepaid', and then immediately convert to Simba Postpaid. This works because of rule #2. Seems like Simba is the only telco that has this kind of offer. It's potentially cheaper because conversion to this Simba postpaid plan is only S$10 (free conversion and S$10 is for the postpaid plan itself). There is a penalty of S$30 if you MNP out in less than 30 days on the 50GB sim only plan.

To cut the story short, try to get a postpaid plan at the get go to have less headache when you want to MNP. My journey was Singtel HiCard->Simba->redOne. Wasted quite a bit of money because missed the window a few times (to port out, your account must have some money left, takes a few days to port out, etc etc). Simba free 1GB roaming in Malaysia rides on Celcom, but somehow the network is pretty bad. If used within Sg, Simba is alright (ranks worst coverage among telcos, but still alright I think).

strategist
post Nov 11 2022, 02:04 PM

Casual
487 posts

anyone knows roughly how long is PR application processing time nowadays?

ghodul
post Today, 05:15 AM

Ghodul + Shoei = GhoSho
584 posts

QUOTE(strategist @ Nov 11 2022, 02:04 PM)
anyone knows roughly how long is PR application processing time nowadays?
Depends on your profile.

Whats your profession
Whats your qualification
How much you earn
How much tax you paid
How long you have work in SG

And the most important, what is your ethnicity

As for me, it tooks 14 Months.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0177sec    0.31    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 30th November 2022 - 04:16 PM