Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Working in Singapore V20, All About Living in The Little Red Dot

views

raymondloh
post Jun 8 2021, 12:03 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(chaos32 @ Jun 6 2021, 03:18 PM)
Side question, did u translate your birth certificate to English?
You do know that Bahasa is one of Singapore's official language?......even their NS training is in Bahasa...
raymondloh
post Jun 8 2021, 12:04 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(justified @ Jun 6 2021, 06:59 PM)
Should i apply PR ? My partner is pr already but i am not although i am 3 yrs here already. Reason being i dont like to be in SG but at this stage, the chance for me going back MY is slim, lack of job opportunity for me. I am in life science. What is the reason for you guys to get pr beside buying hdb ? Job security? Cpf ? But that cannot withdraw right even pr renounce

P.s. can i change job during pr application is in process ? Kinda get mixed answer online.
Main reason....you can "fire" your employer.
babycry123
post Jun 11 2021, 07:52 PM

Nothing~
1,223 posts

Anyone here works as a web developer? Front end or back end doesn't matter. How likely are companies to consider someone with no experience for their SGUnitedTraineeship programmes?
keelim
post Jun 13 2021, 11:14 AM

Enthusiast
799 posts

Should i apply PR ? My partner is pr already but i am not although i am 3 yrs here already. Reason being i dont like to be in SG but at this stage, the chance for me going back MY is slim, lack of job opportunity for me. I am in life science. What is the reason for you guys to get pr beside buying hdb ? Job security? Cpf ? But that cannot withdraw right even pr renounce

P.s. can i change job during pr application is in process ? Kinda get mixed answer online.
PR is a long term commitment of one’s personal attachment to a foreign country and professional development as an economic migrant. If you have doubts, please do not proceed.

Singapore’s reputable and sophisticated governance will ensure you do not benefit from the system and not ‘pay’ for it. You should comprehensively understand how the system reaps the social and economic benefits from you in return for granting you a PR - before committing to apply. The land constraints and requirement to protect its sovereignty in a hostile region, naturally compound your sense of doubts to commit to a permanent residency.

Kelv
post Jun 13 2021, 08:40 PM

Just a lil' bit
3,951 posts

I have a common room to rent out, available immediately. Short 5 min+ walk from Toa Payoh Central MRT. Let me know if you guys know anyone would be keen. Queen size bed, however for 1 pax only.
throwaway account
post Jun 15 2021, 03:18 PM

24 posts

When I first graduated, I used to work for a cheapskate company. Pays everyone 3K but Singaporeans were paid 17% more because employer has to contribute to their CPF. My previous company also did not provide that 17% to me in cash.

When I become PR, I got an indirect pay raise. Also, easier to change job. I quit a few months after I got my blue IC and took a break from work. Return to SG for job hunting one year later without any visa problems.
PrincZe
post Jun 15 2021, 05:33 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,042 posts

so just an update on myself.

i tendered resignation yesterday with 24 hours notice as per my contract. in compensation, i need to pay them 2 months of my basic salary.

so in return, they asked me to stay 2 weeks more, just to do a handover. from the 2 months compensation, i will pay lesser amount due to annual leave offset. (around 14.5 days)

so my last day is 30 jun, have 2 weeks break and join new company on 19July.

thanks all for the support!

edit : i will still get paid for 2 weeks notice

This post has been edited by PrincZe: Jun 15 2021, 05:34 PM
crazy25kid
post Jun 15 2021, 06:01 PM

Jack of all trades, master of none...in short, a NUB !!
1,424 posts

QUOTE(PrincZe @ Jun 15 2021, 05:33 PM)
so just an update on myself.

i tendered resignation yesterday with 24 hours notice as per my contract. in compensation, i need to pay them 2 months of my basic salary.

so in return, they asked me to stay 2 weeks more, just to do a handover. from the 2 months compensation, i will pay lesser amount due to annual leave offset. (around 14.5 days)

so my last day is 30 jun, have 2 weeks break and join new company on 19July.

thanks all for the support!

edit : i will still get paid for 2 weeks notice
That bad until u are willing to pay 2 month notice?
U are starting in 19 July, so u would be only paying ~1month pay
PrincZe
post Jun 15 2021, 06:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,042 posts

QUOTE(crazy25kid @ Jun 15 2021, 06:01 PM)
That bad until u are willing to pay 2 month notice?
U are starting in 19 July, so u would be only paying ~1month pay
nope. per my ex kolik experience, they dont let him to serve 1 month and pay 1 month (contract basis)

if they allow that, then its no difference between contract and perm.

so as per contract, to terminate, i need to pay 2 months. anything else, is mutual agreement
knwong
post Jun 15 2021, 06:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,087 posts

All the best. The new offer is much better?
PrincZe
post Jun 16 2021, 09:21 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,042 posts

QUOTE(knwong @ Jun 15 2021, 06:10 PM)
All the best. The new offer is much better?
at 26% hell yeah LOL bruce.gif
crazy25kid
post Jun 16 2021, 01:32 PM

Jack of all trades, master of none...in short, a NUB !!
1,424 posts

QUOTE(PrincZe @ Jun 16 2021, 09:21 AM)

nice...congrats flex.gif flex.gif

PrincZe
post Jun 16 2021, 02:30 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,042 posts

QUOTE(crazy25kid @ Jun 16 2021, 01:32 PM)
nice...congrats  flex.gif  flex.gif
thnks thanks. was surprised can offer, recruiter said can fight for me. a bit skeptical but he did it. can justify and i am in rclxm9.gif

i had low hopes actually, most of them say market is bad can only offer 10% from last drawn. blush.gif

thats why alot recruiter ask me, i said basic + 2 months bonus. it bumps up a bit
KilJim
post Jun 16 2021, 02:49 PM

^-_-^ ZzzZzZzZzzz....
Group Icon
Elite
4,405 posts

QUOTE(PrincZe @ Jun 16 2021, 02:30 PM)
thnks thanks. was surprised can offer, recruiter said can fight for me. a bit skeptical but he did it. can justify and i am in  rclxm9.gif

i had low hopes actually, most of them say market is bad can only offer 10% from last drawn.  blush.gif

thats why alot recruiter ask me, i said basic + 2 months bonus. it bumps up a bit
Congrats! Must feel good finally escaping hell devil.gif
megadisc
post Jun 19 2021, 09:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,186 posts

QUOTE(PrincZe @ Jun 16 2021, 09:21 AM)
cograts....wlcm abord. rclxm9.gif
henrytlh
post Jun 19 2021, 10:47 PM

Getting Started
109 posts

QUOTE(babycry123 @ Jun 11 2021, 07:52 PM)
Anyone here works as a web developer? Front end or back end doesn't matter. How likely are companies to consider someone with no experience for their SGUnitedTraineeship programmes?
You do need to be a SG Citizen/PR to sign-up for SGUnitedTraineeship programmes right. I think it's quite good, our company accepted a few SGUnitedTraineeship who doesn't have much knowledge but we do expect them to get on speed within a certain time-limit.
henrytlh
post Jun 19 2021, 10:50 PM

Getting Started
109 posts

QUOTE(throwaway account @ Jun 15 2021, 03:18 PM)
When I first graduated, I used to work for a cheapskate company. Pays everyone 3K but Singaporeans were paid 17% more because employer has to contribute to their CPF. My previous company also did not provide that 17% to me in cash.

When I become PR, I got an indirect pay raise. Also, easier to change job. I quit a few months after I got my blue IC and took a break from work. Return to SG for job hunting one year later without any visa problems.
It's not a norm to count the CPF in the base package. Unless you're financial company, most companies will treat the CPF as extra and a commitment. If you're a PR/Citizen, you get the extra. If not, it's forfeited.
babycry123
post Jun 20 2021, 04:09 PM

Nothing~
1,223 posts

QUOTE(henrytlh @ Jun 19 2021, 10:47 PM)
You do need to be a SG Citizen/PR to sign-up for SGUnitedTraineeship programmes right. I think it's quite good, our company accepted a few SGUnitedTraineeship who doesn't have much knowledge but we do expect them to get on speed within a certain time-limit.
Applied for mostly full stack and software engineer traineeship but never heard back. I guess they are receptive but still competitive. 😅
PrincZe
post Yesterday, 09:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,042 posts

QUOTE(KilJim @ Jun 16 2021, 02:49 PM)
Congrats! Must feel good finally escaping hell  devil.gif
QUOTE(megadisc @ Jun 19 2021, 09:41 PM)
cograts....wlcm abord. rclxm9.gif
thanks both. was thinking to hold off until project completed, but nah cant take it blush.gif

hope all the best to you all!
henrytlh
post Yesterday, 09:45 AM

Getting Started
109 posts

QUOTE(babycry123 @ Jun 20 2021, 04:09 PM)
Applied for mostly full stack and software engineer traineeship but never heard back. I guess they are receptive but still competitive. 😅
What kind of company are you looking for? PM me, I might be able to hook you up with one

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0245sec    0.86    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 22nd June 2021 - 09:08 PM