Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

509 Pages « < 367 368 369 370 371 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Working in Singapore V20, All About Living in The Little Red Dot

views

nabnab12345
post Feb 20 2020, 10:55 AM

15 posts

QUOTE(crazy25kid @ Feb 20 2020, 10:24 AM)
unless ur kid is born in dragon year, then yea....most likely no slot for foreigners
find those regular public school instead of those famous ones
there is a website somewhere (i cannot remember where i stumbled upon) whereby u can see the number of slots left after each phase for P1 registration for each school
my daughter's school still has placements after all phases for the last 5 years before she enrol....which led me to not even bother about volunteering ....LOL
Good tip. Thanks.

To be fair I have not started looking - only due in Singapore early March so I am taking my own sweet time for now. Plus, my daughter is currently enrolled in preschool in KL so I couldn't move her at least for the next 3-6 months (to be eligible for deposit refund).

As for school, my wife is quite insistent of sending her to a good school, so it all fails, it will be international school for her. The plan anyway, is to send her to international school once she reaches junior high school.
HouseHunter
post Feb 20 2020, 05:44 PM

Getting Started
183 posts

QUOTE(MGM @ Feb 20 2020, 03:37 AM)
It is disheartening to hear from so many people that many engineering jobs are getting low pay both in Singapore and Malaysia.
Wonder whether I should discourage my son from going into this field. Qualifying for a place in UTM  already needs a high CGPA what more Electrical Engineering is considering a tough course. Computer Science is easier to get in n study and the pay seems to be better. hmm.gif  doh.gif
Engineering is a very tough job. If you want your son to survive in KL area then don't let him study engineering. If he really passion on engineering might as well spend the money send him go oversea study and find job there. More opportunity.. The situation in Malaysia here is half dead, here can't become manufacturer because high cost, and can't become RnD because the ppl here don't have the talent, also government don't really put effort on it.
Really consider then only study engineering.....
Find The Way
post Feb 21 2020, 08:07 AM

Enthusiast
724 posts

QUOTE(peramdupe @ Feb 16 2020, 01:45 AM)
Background
The reason I'm scouting for a job there is due to lack of opportunity and stagnant salary in Malaysia.
I'm in my early 30. Working in Software/Tech. Currently earning RM15k/month gross. Peak role at company unless going into management. Been here for 2 years.

Every now and then, I'll be approached by recruiters in LinkedIn, and eventually I had a revelation. My current pay is almost the ceiling rate for similar position in Malaysia.
Singapore-based position offering is at $8k-12k/month with openings from various companies. Most are global organization, which I think would have better technical career progression.

It's true that SG has quite a number of foreign MNCs having software dev function there. But be careful on which product/service team you are joining, and what's the team's role in the organization. It's even better if you have contact working in the team, to share you these insider info. Why?

Despite PR statements that SG talents attracted those MNC to SG, especially tech firm, the real interest for many of them are tax benefit and market expansion. For tech jobs, it's common practice that those interesting jobs are kept in their western office, while those jobs that don't add much value to career profile will be move to Asia for "SG talents" at lower cost (SG salary cost is not consider cheap, but still lower than Valley/West Coast). I'm not saying 100% of tech firms have this practice, but many of them do.

If your interest is only employer name and higher than Malaysia income, then probably not an issue though. To be honest, are MNCs in Malaysia in the better situation? I have no clue.

This post has been edited by Find The Way: Feb 21 2020, 08:15 AM
PrincZe
post Feb 21 2020, 09:33 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,050 posts

hello i want to ask. do we need to inform LHDN that we are working in sg and not receiving any income for the past year/coming year?
ShinG3e
post Feb 21 2020, 01:28 PM

o0o
1,494 posts

QUOTE(PrincZe @ Feb 21 2020, 09:33 AM)
hello i want to ask. do we need to inform LHDN that we are working in sg and not receiving any income for the past year/coming year?
no. as long as u pay SG tax.
jitshiong
post Feb 21 2020, 05:03 PM

Trust me, I'm an Engineer
1,868 posts

QUOTE(MGM @ Feb 20 2020, 03:37 AM)
It is disheartening to hear from so many people that many engineering jobs are getting low pay both in Singapore and Malaysia.
Wonder whether I should discourage my son from going into this field. Qualifying for a place in UTM  already needs a high CGPA what more Electrical Engineering is considering a tough course. Computer Science is easier to get in n study and the pay seems to be better. hmm.gif  doh.gif
Only study engineering if you really have passion about it. Money don't come so early. It will only be rewarded if you are really good at what you do and have experience in doing it. High paying engineering job is there, but not easy to achieve. Well, it depends on how you define well/high paid. Everyone's definition is different.
MGM
post Feb 21 2020, 05:19 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,387 posts

QUOTE(HouseHunter @ Feb 20 2020, 05:44 PM)
Engineering is a very tough job. If you want your son to survive in KL area then don't let him study engineering. If he really passion on engineering might as well spend the money send him go oversea study and find job there. More opportunity.. The situation in Malaysia here is half dead, here can't become manufacturer because high cost, and can't become RnD because the ppl here don't have the talent, also government don't really put effort on it.
Really consider then only study engineering.....
QUOTE(jitshiong @ Feb 21 2020, 05:03 PM)
Only study engineering if you really have passion about it. Money don't come so early. It will only be rewarded if you are really good at what you do and have experience in doing it. High paying engineering job is there, but not easy to achieve. Well, it depends on how you define well/high paid. Everyone's definition is different.
After getting his engineering degree from UTM my son intends to pursue his Master oversea and stay back to work. He is interested in Robotics/Automation/AI.
VinluV
post Feb 21 2020, 08:32 PM

Regular
1,946 posts

QUOTE(MGM @ Feb 21 2020, 05:19 PM)
After getting his engineering degree from UTM my son intends to pursue his Master oversea and stay back to work. He is interested in Robotics/Automation/AI.
Its a good field with a future, depending on location and company.
You can ask your son to aim for Rockwell, they are currently expanding in Sg.
jitshiong
post Feb 22 2020, 09:30 AM

1,868 posts

All the best!
jitshiong
post Feb 22 2020, 09:31 AM

1,868 posts

-deleted-
double post

This post has been edited by jitshiong: Feb 22 2020, 09:31 AM
MGM
post Feb 22 2020, 10:13 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,387 posts

QUOTE(VinluV @ Feb 21 2020, 08:32 PM)
Its a good field with a future, depending on location and company.
You can ask your son to aim for Rockwell, they are currently expanding in Sg.
Thanks for the info, but is it Rockwell Automation or Rockwell Engineering?
sawyeratjx
post Feb 23 2020, 01:49 PM

13 posts

Would you guys rather buy an expensive fancy property in KL using strong SGD or a cheap property in SG (Maybe a resale HDB or cheap condo)? Could be either investment or own stay.
In a cross road here

This post has been edited by sawyeratjx: Feb 23 2020, 01:51 PM
singguli
post Feb 24 2020, 11:46 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

anyone know CPF bonus payout record for pass few years ?
received offer from them. 1 month AWS with 2-3 months performance bonus ? legit ? As a Lead Software Engineer
VinluV
post Feb 24 2020, 05:01 PM

Regular
1,946 posts

QUOTE(MGM @ Feb 22 2020, 10:13 AM)
Thanks for the info, but is it Rockwell Automation or Rockwell Engineering?
Automation.
Office in Jurong.
VinluV
post Feb 24 2020, 05:01 PM

Regular
1,946 posts

QUOTE(singguli @ Feb 24 2020, 11:46 AM)
received offer from them. 1 month AWS with 2-3 months performance bonus ? legit ? As a Lead Software Engineer
Working for cpf?
singguli
post Feb 24 2020, 05:13 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(VinluV @ Feb 24 2020, 05:01 PM)
Working for cpf?
yes
kenny B
post Feb 24 2020, 09:16 PM

Enthusiast
821 posts

should be good. gahmen is always good in sg. congrats
Kelv
post Feb 25 2020, 09:18 AM

Be kind to animals
3,987 posts

Base salary good?
VinluV
post Feb 25 2020, 10:21 AM

Regular
1,946 posts

QUOTE(singguli @ Feb 24 2020, 05:13 PM)
yes
Good. But expect to work agile and long hours at times.
crazy25kid
post Feb 25 2020, 10:43 AM

Jack of all trades, master of none...in short, a NUB !!
1,424 posts

QUOTE(kenny B @ Feb 24 2020, 09:16 PM)
should be good. gahmen is always good in sg. congrats
https://blog.moneysmart.sg/career/civil-servant-bonus/

509 Pages « < 367 368 369 370 371 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0338sec    0.47    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:43 PM