Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Any developer/programmer but study diff course?

views

CKC_1
post Apr 5 2017, 08:34 PM

On my way
552 posts

QUOTE(xsan @ Apr 5 2017, 06:06 PM)
i got a question..
how does your uni accepting dat you're doing an intern which is totally unrelated to your majoring/course?
If IT i can understand, but from Bio to IT intern, your uni does accept it? hmm.gif
I did an internship on my own accord. I graduated with a Biology degree and worked two years in the US before returning. Then I started learning CS for real and applied for an internship and was accepted.
monk8800
post Apr 6 2017, 12:12 AM

23 posts

QUOTE(CastleFire @ Feb 26 2017, 09:16 PM)
Will be an intern dev

I learned basic of programming language but not from cs/it background

Hope I can do it... Any advice?

Anyone with same experience?

Im turning 26
You do not have to be from a computer science background to excel in programming. You do not need to genius to excel in software programming and development. Anyone little can code to a certain extent. The key differentiate is if you learn to code and you have the desire to go the extra mile and you love it, then your potential is limit less. Thing about starting coding, it’s bit like exercising, when you initially start your daily regiments of jogging for the first time. How do you feel? I bet it totally feels like your insides are literally turning as you push for that first mile. Try it the second week, third week and so on. What you will soon realize is, It starts getting easier with each iteration you take. The more problems you solve the easier it gets. You may start to see the world in a different light once those creative sparks in your mind start to fire up. One of my friend started off working on a fishing boat, had no CS degree since he was not fortunate enough to have that privilege. Saved every penny he could muster and managed to enroll to cooperate training. This lead to Java certification, small freelance gigs, 10 years later now a technical architect, lead at a local company, with tones of successful projects to boot.

This post has been edited by monk8800: Apr 6 2017, 12:14 AM
xsan
post Apr 6 2017, 12:45 PM

Ouh Emm Gee I Can Edit This Nao
1,020 posts

QUOTE(CKC_1 @ Apr 5 2017, 08:34 PM)
I did an internship on my own accord. I graduated with a Biology degree and worked two years in the US before returning. Then I started learning CS for real and applied for an internship and was accepted.
ah.. i assumed earlier that you're graduating in bio and taking intern in IT..
well then my mistake laugh.gif

3lizzardy
post Apr 7 2017, 10:42 AM

39 posts

From communication engineering to programmer . My first job luckily want communication engineering degree . Then after 1 year I open a startup in games industry . Now working as software developer . The truth is you need to keep on learning . But find what you like the most .
TSCastleFire
post Apr 11 2017, 11:26 PM

Getting Started
62 posts

QUOTE(blableu @ Apr 5 2017, 12:44 PM)
ure interested in which module?web based?mobile?

spring is really interesting framework . now with JPA on board,so much easier lah.

But spring webflow is so complicated . Dont try this if you're not into banking/insurance system maker .

Got your github acc yet?
I have gitlab

How do you find work i might ask?
blableu
post Apr 12 2017, 09:32 AM

Getting Started
60 posts

QUOTE(CastleFire @ Apr 11 2017, 11:26 PM)
I have gitlab

How do you find work i might ask?
I must say crazy , since people always want this and that,keep changing requirements .

They even ask to switch platform for God's sake!

hahaha,im losing interest temporarily,got slipped disc recently which is our work hazard tho.

Best of luck TS
PlayPlayHa
post Apr 26 2017, 04:59 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

hmm i guess startup company would prefer hiring those who have IT skills but no cert..

coz they prove that they have the burning heart and passionate to IT.. lol
anti-informatic
post Apr 30 2017, 07:33 PM

Enthusiast
902 posts

Study in diff course but apply for IT job/intern is nothing new. I'm from business IT (yea, still related to IT) but I'm doing what computer science student doing, full time programmer and nothing to do with any business stuff.

I also know lots of computer science students ended up doing non-IT work at all.

In fact, most people that I know graduated and work in a field that is totally not-related to their major at all. This is just part of life
CKC_1
post May 29 2017, 05:02 PM

On my way
552 posts

QUOTE(PlayPlayHa @ Apr 26 2017, 04:59 PM)
hmm i guess startup company would prefer hiring those who have IT skills but no cert..

coz they prove that they have the burning heart and passionate to IT.. lol
Ironically, that's been true so far for me. I've been getting interviews because I came from Neuroscience, but was able to prove myself by publishing 5 games. That, in itself, was my main ice breaker.
gamestotal
post Jun 15 2017, 12:39 AM

Enthusiast
724 posts

QUOTE(CastleFire @ Feb 26 2017, 09:16 PM)
Will be an intern dev

I learned basic of programming language but not from cs/it background

Hope I can do it... Any advice?

Anyone with same experience?

Im turning 26
more importantly is, do you like programming?
i learn programming from a book. this is what i made => http://www.gamestotal.com
also carmack one of the most famous programmers is self taught (well most of it anyway).
there isnt anything wrong self taught, so long as you like, or enjoy it.
island
post Jun 17 2017, 05:30 AM

Regular
1,731 posts

same same, we're not alone. is really want to get a desk jobs, a certificate can do many magic. personal experience on too many job interview. You go to toilet, you have needs to have toilet papers, or your hand smell funny. puke.gif I developed several apps, people think is done by a groups of peoples, or enterprise. lately just on learning something new from MVA. a lot of things is changed, Azure, IoT, Server 2016 and Windows 10, power shell. now age of 38, too old for a desk jobs.

QUOTE(gamestotal @ Jun 15 2017, 12:39 AM)
more importantly is, do you like programming?
i learn programming from a book. this is what i made => http://www.gamestotal.com
also carmack one of the most famous programmers is self taught (well most of it anyway).
there isnt anything wrong self taught, so long as you like, or enjoy it.
gamestotal
post Jun 18 2017, 12:07 AM

Enthusiast
724 posts

QUOTE(island @ Jun 17 2017, 05:30 AM)
same same, we're not alone. is really want to get a desk jobs, a certificate can do many magic. personal experience on too many job interview. You go to toilet, you have needs to have toilet papers, or your hand smell funny.  puke.gif I developed several apps, people think is done by a groups of peoples, or enterprise. lately just on learning something new from MVA. a lot of things is changed, Azure, IoT, Server 2016 and Windows 10, power shell. now age of 38, too old for a desk jobs.
cert doesnt mean much during bad economy (which is current). as people with experience can start doing the job, while people without experience need to build up the experience, learning along the way. most experienced managers , ceos, directors or owners of companies understand this, thats why experience is the priority.

besides if you fail in 10 out of 10 interviews cause u lack paper, then the problem lies within you. ex: find out what the company do (or ask), what the role or project requires. if you can say you done the exact same thing like 5x before, compared to a fresh guy with a degree in programming, who do you think the boss will hire?
island
post Jun 18 2017, 06:17 AM

Regular
1,731 posts

not a matter already, happy with what i'm doing right now as a individual developer on my own whatever. majority here remaining using outdated stuff, some still on vb5/6 or JAVA. Why? last time i failed on all the interview, a long time ago, here for .net is nobody known what itis. and i get the skills from s'pore, looking for jobs at m'sia. company look for php, vb5/6, java, perl. sound funny. moving forward now Windows Store Apps, also is a death end here devil.gif . who care? hmm.gif people like android, iphone, just people did not know the developer account fee is what expensive among many. Just using my free time compose some funny apps, without the "due date" ranting.gif rush by the devil.gif Continue moving forward for learning something new, just the data science drive me crazy, the programing language is weird. Because i'm vb.net cool2.gif

QUOTE(gamestotal @ Jun 18 2017, 12:07 AM)
cert doesnt mean much during bad economy (which is current). as people with experience can start doing the job, while people without experience need to build up the experience, learning along the way. most experienced managers , ceos, directors or owners of companies understand this, thats why experience is the priority.

besides if you fail in 10 out of 10 interviews cause u lack paper, then the problem lies within you. ex: find out what the company do (or ask), what the role or project requires. if you can say you done the exact same thing like 5x before, compared to a fresh guy with a degree in programming, who do you think the boss will hire?
This post has been edited by island: Jun 18 2017, 06:20 AM
gamestotal
post Jun 24 2017, 11:36 PM

Enthusiast
724 posts

VB is really really old. Then again I am still using 90s programming, coding & language, which still work very well even until today

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0124sec    0.26    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:50 PM