Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

What is your current working hours? Reasonable?, New to working society

views

TSWahoo
post Feb 21 2017, 10:54 PM, updated 8y ago

11 posts

As the title stated, What is your current working hours? Is it reasonable?

So, recently I have posted a topic of "Love or Career?" and I found my answer for it which is both but career first.
I got a job offer in medical/healthcare industry, medical assistant but the shift is 12 hours per day and total 60 - 65 hours per week. Is it common in this field? How about other fields?

I heard that people usually work for regularly 8 hours per day excluding over-time and total 40 hours per week.
Then friends told me 8 hours usually low pay nowadays, they have to work more than that which up to 50+ hours per week to get a better payment.
So as a first timer who joined the working society, I would like to understand about working hours, income and social life.

I have recently graduated and back to Malaysia, want to start my career development here and then be with my partner in Singapore.
I had lived oversea for quite some times, 40 hours seems to be very common there. More than that may consider as over time.

So I would like to know about your opinions and experiences?
- What is your ideal working hours?
- What is the common working hours nowadays especially in Malaysia and Singapore?
- How do you comprehend if you worked for long hours per day, 8 hours++?
- Will it affect your social life?
- Long hours = high income and more opportunities in career development?

Thanks!!

This post has been edited by Wahoo: Feb 22 2017, 08:11 PM
uniqueflavour92
post Feb 22 2017, 03:22 AM

Getting Started
55 posts

- What is your ideal working hours? flexi working hours

- What is the common working hours nowadays especially in Malaysia and Singapore? 8am to 5pm is quite a standard working hours in Malaysia

- How do you comprehend if you worked for long hours per day, 8 hours++? it really depends on task, if urgent, you can't just tell your bos, "ok, 5pm, chao now, bye~~", right?

- Will it affect your social life? if you always OT, of coz will affect lo, i always try my very best to finish all tasks and go back before 6pm. smile.gif It will be jammed in KL at 5pm anyway, rather wasting time waiting in traffic, might as well continue some work in office, showing your commitment.

- Long hours = high income and more opportunities in career development? not necessary, depends whether your supervisor or upper management sees your effort, it is normal some guy will come in midway or at the end point and steal all the credit. normal bah in Malaysia, learn to protect yourself.

working in kl, oil and gas service company. flexi hours.
Green_lemontea
post Feb 22 2017, 11:53 AM

Getting Started
233 posts

- What is your ideal working hours? Flexible hours

- What is the common working hours nowadays especially in Malaysia and Singapore? 8am to 5pm or 9am to 6pm is a norm here (exclude OT, on-call etc)

- How do you comprehend if you worked for long hours per day, 8 hours++? It's OK to stay back for urgent tasks, for some days (maybe a day or 2 in a week), but if this happens over a long period, you have to evaluate if it's your work efficiency problem or the company problem. If it's your working efficiency problem, pull up your socks; if it's company problem, nego for compensations.

- Will it affect your social life? Of course. Imagine you can't accompany your loved ones, or your friends. Or be there when they need you.

- Long hours = high income and more opportunities in career development? Depends on your direct boss and those above your direct boss. Most local company don't give much attention or concern to employee's benefits , not to mention the long hours or efforts they have made.

Background of me: Flexible working hours in MNC IT company.
ventolin
post Feb 22 2017, 02:06 PM

Getting Started
217 posts

- What is your ideal working hours? - flexi hours, with occasional option to work from home

- What is the common working hours nowadays especially in Malaysia and Singapore? - I'm on 9-6 now

- How do you comprehend if you worked for long hours per day, 8 hours++? - It's my job. It sucks but you gotta do what you have to do. Also it's unlikely that I'll have to work long hours forever, so this is just a phase.

- Will it affect your social life? - I don't have one to begin with HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahahahshashsobssssss :-(

- Long hours = high income and more opportunities in career development? - eh not really. I would say those two aren't even supposed to correlate.

This post has been edited by ventolin: Feb 22 2017, 02:06 PM
sheushen
post Feb 22 2017, 04:24 PM

Getting Started
158 posts

- What is your ideal working hours? - flexi hours

- What is the common working hours nowadays especially in Malaysia and Singapore? - Currently on my second company. Both now and previous also 9am - 6pm. Current company have to be on 24 hours standby rotation.

- How do you comprehend if you worked for long hours per day, 8 hours++? - During standby my work hours is 24x7. As long as i still can take it, not really a problem for me. In my case >Work = >Money

- Will it affect your social life? - Only during standby duty. I don't have much social life anyway tongue.gif

- Long hours = high income and more opportunities in career development? - higher income yes; career development depending

This post has been edited by sheushen: Feb 22 2017, 04:27 PM
BreakYourLimit
post Feb 22 2017, 05:15 PM

Getting Started
179 posts

- What is your ideal working hours? Flexi Hours
- What is the common working hours nowadays especially in Malaysia and Singapore? Currently is my 1st job. Standard from 9:30AM and 6:30PM. Late for work doesn't deduct my pays though, but mostly its cause by traffic jam due to road construction near my housing area. wink.gif
- How do you comprehend if you worked for long hours per day, 8 hours++? Is normal here, since everyone I know work on this duration.
- Will it affect your social life? My close one and friends for sure. If lack of communications, eventually will lead to anxiety and depression.
- Long hours = high income and more opportunities in career development? Not necessary. And opportunity doesn't happen every time also. This era should be knowledge/wisdom = high income + high quality of life

Background of Me: eCommerce Executive in Retail Company
abubin
post Feb 22 2017, 05:30 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

the working hours and effort depends on the industry. For example if you are working as tea lady..nobody expect you to work extra time. If you are junior programmer work is not a lot then you can work 40 hours per week.

But in malaysia and other developing nations, they are usually understaff. So usually most people need to work extra hours. Some company will pay OT and some will not.

It all depends on the company and how it is run.

Then again, for people who are just starting you have a lot of learn. The only way you can fast track this is by working extra hours. The more you work the more chance you have to learn.

And especially in medical field. Trainee doctors have to work 12 hours daily which I found is something normal in medical line.

Youngsters nowadays just don't want to work extra. We used to work a lot and even now, extra hours don't have OT also we do. That's how you build career.

We cannot company ourselves to developed nations like SG or US or UK cause those countries already developed and have a lot of controls in place where staffs only work 40 hours per week.

In Malaysia, this is not the case. So if you want to work like 40 hours per week then go work in developed nations.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0180sec    0.30    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:23 AM