Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

BMW Model Driven by Woman Driver

views

coolstore
post Feb 19 2017, 10:25 AM

Regular
1,522 posts

QUOTE(amdxp @ Feb 18 2017, 01:17 PM)
Lately there are many junior rempit in the making around southern Johore.  All were riding ultra low bicycle (kids type) and in large group, and they only come out evening till night.

I think their parents gotta wake up and stop letting their children roaming around at night.
grow up then becoming motorcycle mat rempit

their parents bear huge responsibility for all this
Invader Zim
post Feb 19 2017, 10:45 AM

dead poets society
1,541 posts

The kids shouldn't hanging out middle of the street at 3am.

The driver should pay more attention on the road when you driving on steep hill because you never knew what lies ahead. It could have been fallen trees, stalled cars on the middle of the road right after the hill, Too bad this time there were kids on the road instead.
TSDwango
post Feb 19 2017, 11:56 AM

Casual
491 posts

The case where 8 teens were killed is certainly drawing a lot of attention on the news, compared to the woman driver in the BMW who was driving against traffic.

If anyone wants to point fingers, it is easy. You can not only blame the kids or the driver(though I understand most here have said she is innocent), but also the parents of the kids who allowed them to be on the road, or the enforcement officers, police or even government to allow this from happening although it was mentioned that this bicycle joy riding on public roads was already common 8 years ago. Really? Kids have been riding bicycles on the road at 2 to 3 am in the mornings since 8 years ago and it is only now that some serious disaster happens after 8 years?

One can say the parents may have warned the kids to stay indoors but the kids are a stubborn lot and did not listen. However, if the parents are stern and insistent of their kids staying at home, to be safe at home, do you think this sort of mishap will happen? It is either the parents failed to keep their kids at home, or they have partially or willingly let their stubborn kids go out on the streets in the early mornings. Then there is the police. If they had known about this practice long time ago, why there is no action.

If pointing fingers there are many holes but there is little point since what has happened, had happened. People like to talk when something has happened.

The case with the naughty or stubborn kids, the parents or police, those can be put aside as we know the kids are not supposed to be on the roads at the wee hours of the morning so they are somehow at fault. Back to the nature of the accident. Some observations that interest me as follows:-

1. The news reported that the woman driver (and the police) mentioned that the roads were dark and not well lit. However, this is not the case as shown in the video whereby street lights are on the middle of the road and at the sides. The roads are well lit. Hence there is a discrepancy in this information.

2. Somewhere in the news, it was reported that the road is inclined and the accident had taken place at the crest of the road ie. the highest point of the road where visibility is compromised as the driver cannot see the teens when near the crest. I don't know how severe the inclined road is and the extent of visibility, though if this is the case then I can understand why the the driver failed to avoid the teens if she was alert and not on the smartphone etc.

We cannot speculate on the driving skills of the driver, whether she would be able to avoid taking more lives if she was in a good handling car with good brakes, or she had great defensive driving skills etc. Though looking at the car she was driving which had turned turtle, I presume she may have tried to avoid the kids.
TSDwango
post Feb 19 2017, 12:05 PM

Casual
491 posts

QUOTE(dares @ Feb 18 2017, 09:03 PM)
According to the police:

- The road was an uphill then a downhill. The group of 30-40 kids on bicycles was stopped in the middle of the road right after the crest. The Almera only saw them after going over the crest and was not able to stop in time.

- The police has conducted no less than 5 ops to remove these kids from the road in the past, but they kept coming back.

- The police has determined that the 22yo female driver was not drunk nor speeding.

The video below was captured from another time at the same place, start watching from 1:24, and you can see what these kids are up to in the middle of the night.

Good video. I noticed that most of the dead kids are 13 to 14 years of age, few 16 years old. Meaning they are mostly between Form 2 and 4 kids. Kids at these ages were the most vulnerable as they may not fully appreciate or understand road safety, and they seek the thrills in life, in this case the thrills of being on bicycles on the highways early in the mornings. .
wkc5657
post Feb 19 2017, 06:51 PM

On my way
513 posts

Just for clarification, i stay in the state down south and i frequently use the said road of the accident that killed the children. The danger of the crest on that stretch of road is real. I met once before, just that i didn't hit the broken down car right after the tip of the crest. The driver is really just looking at the sky before bottoming at the downward portion. So when it is at the upward incline, you're totally blind of what's happening at the downward portion. For me, it happened on a sun shiny day. For the women, it was at the wee hour at night.

Next, although 8 were killed and there were another 8 injured in the incident. According to the news reports from other newspapers, it was written that a group of such bikers totaled 30-40 of them were "joy ridding" on that stretch according to the chief police of southern johor. A bus that carries 40 people already displaced almost 3 cars long of road. Imagine how much road was displaced by up to 40 kids ridding around almost at the speed of car. You already saw it on the video. Also, with reference to the video, the said stretch that the accident took place is somewhere near petronas petrol station and to the point where the driver slowed down and activating the hazard lights (1:14 till 1:40). If you observe, it is quite a left curve and and slight right curve after that. The dark area after the petrol station is the muslim graveyard.

Also, the almera flipped on it's back. I actually dare say that even if you drive a german brand, the chances of flipping over is still very high. Although I'm no investigative officer nor engineer nor a witness of the incident, I would hazard guess that the bicycle frame/parts/body parts caught under bottom of the car and momentarily (possibly totally) "jacked" the front end up slightly to the point where the front tyres loss contact of the road surface. In this point of time, ABS/traction control/torque vectoring can't really help much, steering the car is also likely extremely limited. The front of the car will taken for a ride to what ever the inertia and gravity brings the driver to....also, at the moment of impact, things and bodies are flying around, vision will be impaired, this complicates the situation of the driver. The irony is, a muslim graveyard is just next to the road at the place of accident.

Another fact, i've seen kids ridding on such bikes near my home. Although they are not as haphazard as those involved in the accident, i did notice that some of them have no brakes. Fun right?
Invader Zim
post Feb 19 2017, 07:23 PM

dead poets society
1,541 posts

I have seen the gore photos of the scene.

The almera did not flipped on it's back, one of the boys stuck under the right front's tyre. I think most probably the public flipped the car to remove the body of the boy from under the tire. (It's very gory scene btw)
wkc5657
post Feb 19 2017, 08:58 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(Invader Zim @ Feb 19 2017, 07:23 PM)
I have seen the gore photos of the scene.

The almera did not flipped on it's back, one of the boys stuck under the right front's tyre.  I think most probably the public flipped the car to remove the body of the boy from under the tire. (It's very gory scene btw)
Kind of made sense that the public might have flipped the car over. None of the windows were broken and the roof seems pretty in tact.

You mean you pass by that area that morning?

This post has been edited by wkc5657: Feb 19 2017, 09:01 PM
6UE5T
post Feb 19 2017, 10:21 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(kadajawi @ Feb 19 2017, 05:21 AM)
But what I said (not the reliability part, admittedly) is related to the topic. People, including you, believe that being a safe driver is enough. It helps, no doubt, but there are always cases where someone may be going the wrong direction and smash into you. Or run a red light and smash into you. Or anything else unexpected can happen, that is in no way your fault and that can't be avoided. And when that happens, you better sit in the safest car you're willing to pay for (IMHO the difference between, say, a Merc A class, BMW 1 series or a Golf is negligible, but between a 2 airbag Altis and a A class it will be big). The first accident is a prime example for what I'm talking about. Why are the passengers of the BMW fine, while the innocent Myvi driver is dead?

Agreed with the decorating the dash. As I said before, in Malaysia looks >>>>>> safety etc.
Again, even though there might be a minute relevancy about car safety but that's not the main question about this topic. You have stated your opinion a lot in your thread as well in countless other threads which are more relevant to car safety, so I think that's enough already. Death of the Myvi driver can be for many reasons which you also don't exactly know and only speculating here, so it's a mute point. Anyway it's also already kind obvious that a BMW is safer than a Myvi, so no need to keep harping on that like we're all here know nothing and you know everything about car's safety. I think what we want to find out here is how come the BMW driver can go on the wrong direction, was the driver DUI, not paying attention by chatting or texting, or a foreigner used to left hand drive or just the road and traffic signs are bad or what. That's the the question here, not a question about car safety.
6UE5T
post Feb 19 2017, 10:36 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(kluseng @ Feb 19 2017, 09:24 AM)
I don't think the driver was completely blameless. The cyclists may be over the crest of the slope but I doubt the slope was so steep that you can't see them until you are over the crest. There is no major road which is built so steep. It was a fairly well lit road in dry condition and the driver should have been able to slam on the brakes if she was alert and wasn't speeding. IMO it is too early to exonerate the driver.
Yeah I agree too, she might be sleepy as well during such early morning time. We know for sure the kids were at fault for using the public roads as their playground, just not sure if the driver was also at fault.
vexus
post Feb 19 2017, 10:58 PM

Master of Eatery & Sleeping
6,626 posts

human eye is not the same as video recording. What video can record & brighter doesn't mean human eye can see same brightness like video recorder.
-Aktan-
post Feb 20 2017, 12:13 AM

2.6b dah masuk bro
873 posts

QUOTE(dares @ Feb 18 2017, 09:03 PM)
According to the police:

- The road was an uphill then a downhill. The group of 30-40 kids on bicycles was stopped in the middle of the road right after the crest. The Almera only saw them after going over the crest and was not able to stop in time.

- The police has conducted no less than 5 ops to remove these kids from the road in the past, but they kept coming back.

- The police has determined that the 22yo female driver was not drunk nor speeding.

The video below was captured from another time at the same place, start watching from 1:24, and you can see what these kids are up to in the middle of the night.

Also noticed that there's a part where no streetlight was lit , if I'm not mistaken
Invader Zim
post Feb 20 2017, 12:25 AM

dead poets society
1,541 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Feb 19 2017, 08:58 PM)
Kind of made sense that the public might have flipped the car over. None of the windows were broken and the roof seems pretty in tact.

You mean you pass by that area that morning?
Nope, i just saw the photos of the scene
kadajawi
post Feb 20 2017, 01:38 AM

On my way
544 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Feb 19 2017, 10:21 PM)
Again, even though there might be a minute relevancy about car safety but that's not the main question about this topic. You have stated your opinion a lot in your thread as well in countless other threads which are more relevant to car safety, so I think that's enough already. Death of the Myvi driver can be for many reasons which you also don't exactly know and only speculating here, so it's a mute point. Anyway it's also already kind obvious that a BMW is safer than a Myvi, so no need to keep harping on that like we're all here know nothing and you know everything about car's safety. I think what we want to find out here is how come the BMW driver can go on the wrong direction, was the driver DUI, not paying attention by chatting or texting, or a foreigner used to left hand drive or just the road and traffic signs are bad or what. That's the the question here, not a question about car safety.
It was worth mentioning, and it's a good example to point out the difference between cars. Lets just stop at that point, ok?

As to why she went the wrong way... she's alive to explain herself. Let the police interview her, and see what they find out. There are many possible reasons... confusion, distracted, missed an exit and wanted to go back, blindly followed her GPS, ...

Anyway, at the point where she saw cars going the other way she should have noticed she was wrong and turned around. These things happen in Germany, but IMHO it's usually confused, old people who shouldn't be driving anymore.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0159sec    0.38    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:44 PM